Start by marking “A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic” as Want to Read:
A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic

A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Do you believe in magic? For this collection is overflowing with everything mystical, magical, fantastic and unbelievable. This book features stories by Patricia Wrede, Jane Yolen, Bruce Coville and many others. "A balanced and pleasing introduction to the genre".--School Library Journal.

"Do you believe in magic?

If you don't, you will. If you do, you're more than halfway t
Published December 1996 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Wizard's Dozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wizard's Dozen

Marissa
This is a fun collection of stories. I found them all to be readable, but favorites I enjoy rereading are the more light-hearted inclusions - The Sixty-Two Curses of Caliph Arenschadd by Patricia C. Wrede and The Princess Who Kicked Butt by Will Shetterly, both of which I would particularly recommend.
Eden
This book is filled with stories of fantasy by some very good and well known auithors. I enjoyed the book, but not as much as I thought. Some of the stories I couldn't get into and the ending of one of the stories just really annoyed me.
However, there are definitely some gems in this book. The first story The Sixty-two Curses of Caliph Arenschadd by Patricia C. Wrede is a creative, unique and wonderful story.
Fairy Dust by Charles de Lint (Author) is a good story and is about how important it is
Wealhtheow
A collection of fantasy short stories. Patricia Wrede's "The 62 Curses of Caliph Arenschadd" has fun world-building. Charles de Lint's "Fairy Dust" is, like all his other work, filled with fascile moral conclusions and immature writing. I loved the main character in Will Shetterly's "The Princess Who Kicked Butt." Tappan King's "Come Hither" also has a very enjoyable main character (another self-sufficient girlchild).
I have always thought Bruce Coville is awesome, and he proves it yet again wit
SBC
I really enjoyed this book when I read it as a teenager. My favourite stories were Patricia C. Wrede's The Sixty-Two Curses of Caliph Arenschadd and Sherwood Smith's Faith. I also liked Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald's retelling of Snow White, The Queen's Mirror and Jane Yolen's Harlyn's Fairy.
Brooke
As with most story collections, some were better than others. On average, they were 3.5 stars.
Shannon Cooley
Overall, this was a fun read, but nothing spectacular. It's not one I'll rush to read again soon, but it is one I'll keep on my shelves for my kids to pick up someday. It's a good book to pick up when you only have a few minutes at a time, because most of the stories are pretty short.
Chandra
I have always loved the characters from The Princess Who Kicked Butt. For that reason alone, this book will always remain among my fond childhood memories. The other stories are also well written and worth the time it takes to read them.
Denae Christine
For short stories, these were superb. I especially liked Sixty-Curses of Caliph Arenschadd, Princess Who Kicked Butt, Breath of Princes, and Faith. Great authors. I might decide to read some more short stories...and maybe not.
Jillian
A very fun collection, though a few tales were a bit simplistic or anticlimactic. My favorites were the stories by Patricia C. Wrede, Will Shetterly, Bruce Coville, and Vivian Van Velde.
Kira E.
This book is full of short stories, all about magic. I enjoyed reading these stories, but some were more "slow" then others, but still pretty good.
Kim
A fast read and some of the stories are really good. (It's a bunch of short stories)
Magen
Magen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
tammy miller
tammy miller marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Crisco
Crisco added it
Jul 09, 2015
GG
GG marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Sharon Emrich
Sharon Emrich marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Oddly Enough (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #1)
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • The Mystery of Mr. Nice: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • The Vanishing (The Last Dogs, #1)
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 7)
  • The Glass Gauntlet
  • Story Time
  • Making Mischief: A Maurice Sendak Appreciation
  • The Blue Shoe: A Tale of Thievery, Villainy, Sorcery, and Shoes
A Nightmare's Dozen: Stories from the Dark A Starfarer's Dozen: Stories of Things to Come Just Another Yo-Yo Contest Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2) Nobody's Son

“The Evil Enchanter appeared in a cloud of smoke. He waved his arms to fan away the fumes, and when he quit coughing, he said, "You've come to rescue no one. Now that you're here, you shall marry me." He waved his arms once, and a priest appeared in a cloud of smoke. After everyone quit coughing, he turned to the priest and said, "Marry me!"
The priest said, "But I don't know you."
"No, no, no!" said the Evil Enchanter. "Marry me to the princess!"
"Oh," said the priest. "That's different.”
1 likes