Start by marking “Toddler 411” as Want to Read:
Toddler 411

Toddler 411

""You've made it Your baby has turned one Now the real fun begins. From temper tantrums to toilet training, raising a toddler brings its own set of challenges and questions - and Toddler 411 has the answers. Following on the heels of the best-seller Baby 411, Toddler 411 bottles the wisdom of parents who've "been there, done that" . . . and combines it with solid medical a ...more
ebook, Third Edition, 546 pages
Published October 18th 2010 by Windsor Peak Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Toddler 411, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddler 411

Alicia Shafer
Ok. Some stuff was helpful, other stuff was the kind of stuff that can make you crazy.
Michelle
Nov 15, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers, Fathers,
Recommended to Michelle by: Heather Bodnar
Shelves: parenting
Sassy Summary: This no-nonsense reference guide aims to save its reader a trip to the doctor’s office by providing easy-to-find answers to common questions (How Often Should My Child Pee?) to advice on handling Picky Eaters. Success! The index and glossary are comprehensive. It’s funny. It’s smart. It’s reassuring. My only complaint is that the organic food recommendations gave me anxiety and made me afraid to put anything in my child’s mouth.

Quotable Writing: Follow the “Two Stop” Rule. Gettin
Amanda
Jan 30, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zeke, non-fiction
Written in a pretty humorous way that makes it more approachable. Lots of basic information-- especially medical-- that may come in handy as my son gets older. I was a little dissatisfied with it, however, because it had almost nothing on weaning or sleep issues, which I'm particularly interested in. Seems like they assume that those things are water under the bridge once you're child reaches one. They are also proponents of a very regimented and organized life which might not work for every par ...more
Liz
Dec 14, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-helps
Great reference book. I stumbled upon it at the Library, but now want it for my own book shelf. The concluding chapters on illness and First Aid are something I would like to have at my fingertips when needed.

Many authors of mom-help books try to use humor -- and completely fail. Fields might just be the first one I've seen succeed. Her humor comes at just the right time, and it isn't forced.

If I go through the baby stage again, I'll have a copy of Baby 411 on hand. I'm sure it is just as fabul
Jaime Lee
Jul 18, 2011 Jaime Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Toddler 411 (much as its predecessor, Baby 411) is a great book to have on hand when you have a question about your child that you don't feel warrants a doctor call, and yet you feel you need a little bit more than your own common sense. It's straight-laced answers are very calming in the wake of some of toddlerhood's scariest scenarios for a parent (illness, etc.). The Q&A form in which it's written makes things easy to find. Once you've read it through once, you can easily revert back to p ...more
Sera
Jan 07, 2011 Sera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barnes and Noble
This book provides a comprehensive overview of what parents can expect in the toddler years. Mostly a reference tool for quick answers, I'll likely start here, and then read more in depth from my other parenting books that delve into the various subject matter more deeply.

My favorite parts were the developmental milestones and when to take your child to the ER versus to the doctor versus the need for no medical visit at all. This approach is taken in different ways in regard to various topics,
Angela
Nov 03, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My two year old was an embarrassment today. This book is calming, positive and concise. One uplifting part of reading parenting books is knowing that you don't have ALL the problems addressed, just some of them. And, furthermore, you are mostly doing it just fine.

This series is a mother's refuge and tolerably short enough for father's to read the sections mothers have tabbed. Gift it. They will thank you.
chanceofbooks
Mar 14, 2009 chanceofbooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a lot of toddler books lately, and this is one of the best. I love the easy to follow format, and I love the emphasis on practical solutions that are child-centered. I really like how encompasses so many aspects of toddlerhood in one easy reference versus one book for discipline and one for nutrition etc.
Deanna
Feb 20, 2012 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the numerous books out there, I've loved the 411 series for babies and toddlers. Packed full of great information. This book is as much as primer for dealing with the toddler years as it is a reference. Well written, easy to digest, interesting and most importantly helpful.
Erin
Feb 13, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Toddler 411 because I enjoyed the authors' Baby Bargains book so much. The authors have a matter-of-fact style to parenting and I appreciate their non-judgmental approach to controversial topics. Overall, Toddler 411 was much of what I expected from them.

The book is an encyclopedia of toddler. It covers everything you could imagine: milestones, weird but normal behaviors, potty training, transitioning to a big kid bed, and a whole chapter on poop (if you have a toddler then you know
Misty
Jul 15, 2012 Misty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book that delves into many differet issues you may run into as a parent. The advice is helpful and informative. I think whenever you read books like this you have to be knowledgeable about your child and family, and ultimately make the best decisions for your child regardless of some peoples' opinions; however, this has great information covering everything from sickness, sleep problems, medications, and old wives tales. Some of the stories are humourous, and the book is jus ...more
Cathryn
Jan 06, 2016 Cathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best no-nonsense parenting book series out there. It won't tell you what to expect or any of the other stuff the get-in-touch-with-yourself feel-good parenting books like to spend time philosophizing. THIS book tells you exactly when to call the doctor, what to look for in each symptom and when to just calm down. They keep it real with many charts and cheat sheets to help you get the knowledge you need fast! The very best book for middle of the night, sleep deprived parenting. We recommend this ...more
Kelli Oliver George

BUY THIS BOOK

Hands down, this book combined with Toddler 411 are the parenting books I would own if I could only have two. They have absolutely everything you need for your child up to about kindergarten in 2 concise volumes that are easy to read, entertaining (you'll laugh out loud) and most importantly, are conveniently organized as a reference tool. The overall tone of these two books is that of a "Hey, you'll be okay Grasshopper." one that is comforting and reassuring.
Rachel
Dec 27, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I picked this up in the new book section at the library, and since I have a very rambunctious 17 month old, I needed some help. I had questions about illness, bodily functions, behavior problems, and eating habits. Honestly, I just wanted to makes sure the way he was acting was normal, as he is my first child and I'm still pretty new at this parenting gig. This book answered my questions and assuaged my fears. I recommend it to parents, 4 stars.
Jamie
Jan 31, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, solid book an the medical side of raising a toddler. It covers everything from first aid to nutrition guidelines to constipation. It teaches you the signs you need to look for in oder to know whether to wait a medical issue out or seek immediate attention. My favorite sections were on potty training & vaccinations. Everything was clear and easy to understand and told in a way that doesn't scare the reader.
Sep 02, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is a killer! I have already laughed about things my kid is already doing. It gives me great reassurance too that even though Chance despises milk I can keep feeding him cheese, yogurt & even ice cream to counter the balance without feeling bad. Proving to be a must have on my home reference shelf!!!
Alison
May 31, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
My boyfriend Logan is turning three, and has been having lots of temper tantrums lately, so I wanted to see if the experts could recommend any strategies for coping. It turns out I am already helping him the way the author suggests, guess all that child-rearing experience is coming in handy, but it was nice to know that I'm on the right track.
Maggie Hall
This book was somewhat helpful and slightly humorous. But at least the second half was about scary problems or diseases your kid could develop- and seeing as the book is written by doctors, that shouldn't surprise me.
All in all, don't freak out when you read it. It does have some handy charts and cheat sheets in it (like rashes/medication/etc.) but all in all, a bit alarmist at times.
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
helpful advice at a time when I felt I was failing as a mother. It reassured me that it is the rare toddler that doesn't throw food, eats all the nutritious food put before him, and indicates his wants/needs verbally! It would be a nice reference book, but definitely not a book to read cover to cover.
Gingeraltoids
Feb 15, 2012 Gingeraltoids rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-on to Baby 411. I have read this book over and over and refer to it often. It does repeat some of the info from Baby 411 that is still relevant, but adds a lot of new info as well. It seems that every time something changes with my son or a new issue crops up, I find another relevant gem in the book.
Melia
Aug 05, 2007 Melia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I have a very active toddler, I don't have time to sit down and search through myriads of info in an attempt to find answers a specific problem. Toddler 411 has a very detailed index that allows me to find the specific topic I'm looking for as well as offering practical solutions without making me overly paranoid the way other books tend to do.
Sunee
Dec 09, 2012 Sunee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one book I turn to when I need guidance for medical issues and random toddler stuff like making the leap from crib to big kid bed. Whenever I have raised a question during a pediatric visit, it seems as though the Dr or NP's response is exactly what I have read in this book. So much better than all the other toddler advice guides out there.
Vanessa
I'll be frank, this book is very boring. It's got loads of information but I can't retain much because you're either being overwhelmed by all the medical jargon or you're distracted by the author's attempt to present info in layman's terms and by sprinkling in lame jokes. It took me so long to finish this but I'm glad I did and can finally move on to something more interesting.

Danielle
Mar 17, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the book I've been looking for! Concise, helpful advice concerning just about every issue one might encounter with a toddler. I like this book much better than The Happiest Toddler on the Block.
Sherree
Oct 01, 2012 Sherree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still referencing this book frequently, but I've made it through most of the information. I don't find it quite as helpful as Baby 411, but it could be I need it less, having gained a minute amount of experience with this Mom thing.
Erin
Jun 18, 2009 Erin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms
This book has tons of useful information. I like the fact that one of the authors is from Texas. I also like how they have up to date information with websites provided for additional reference. This is one I'll keep on hand for sure!
Krista
Aug 19, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing
we've picked this book up more times than I can count. Covers (in brief) almost every toddler issue under the sun. Love the practical, no-nonesense approach. We've kept track of most of Ariana's milestones in this & the 1st book Baby 411.
Elyssa
Oct 03, 2007 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
This is a great all-inclusive guide for raising a toddler/pre-schooler. It's written by experts who are also parents. The book is easy to navigate and I have found the advice to be practical and effective.
Beth
Dec 30, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I use this book regularly - there is so much I've already forgotten from when my first one was a toddler. Great for looking something up quickly, the organization and format are well thought out. Very practical and funny too.
Leanna
Dec 28, 2013 Leanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Extremely well-organized for easy reference use, helpful non-judgey advice, and humor. After reading Baby 411, I didn't even bother to buy any other toddler books, but went straight to this - and was completely pleased. Gah, I am such a fan girl for these books!
  • 1, 2, 3... the Toddler Years: A Practical Guide for Parents & Caregivers
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Expecting 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Pregnancy
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do

“Vaccines do not work as well if a large number of folks opt out of the system. Vaccines are not 100% effective in any one individual. It is the collective immunity of the population (known as herd immunity) that keeps a germ from reaching epidemic proportions. You may think that if everyone else’s kid is protected then your child doesn’t need to be. But . . . germs don’t think that way. They just look for a new person to infect. And the more people who opt out, the more vulnerable the entire population is (particularly its youngest members).” 0 likes
“Choking Hazards: What to avoid Every year, 10,000 kids under the age of 14 choke on something and end up in the emergency room. Seventy-five percent of those children are under three years of age. And sadly, some of those kids die. Want to know what the deadliest choking hazard is? Hot dogs. Other food choking hazards include grapes, peanuts, hard carrots, and hard candies.” 0 likes