Start by marking “17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore” as Want to Read:
17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore

17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  727 ratings  ·  215 reviews
This Parenting Magazine Best Book of the Year and Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Book of the Year features a kid full of fun ideas. For example, in the morning, gluing her brother's bunny slippers to the floor sounds like a good plan. But now she's not allowed to use glue anymore. And what about when she shows Joey Whipple her underpants—they're only unde ...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore

Skylar Burris
This is a funny story for the PARENT of an impish child, but I found it in the children's section of the library. I would never read this to my child again. It sends a very poor message. It gives her ideas of impish things to do she's never considered doing before -- and she's come up with plenty ideas of her own. But worst of all, it ends with the message that all you have to do is lie and say you're sorry when you're not, and then you can get away with it to do impish things yet again. Certain ...more
Molly
I feel sort of mixed about this book. I really love the illustrations, and the story is pretty hilarious. It's not that I would worry that little ones would try to emulate the ridiculous mischief the character makes throughout the story; it's the tone upon which the story ends. The idea at the end is that she says she's sorry, but only because that's what her mom wants to hear; the stapler in her hand indicates that she's not about to stop doing whatever she wants. I just feel mixed. Any other t ...more
Relyn
Apr 06, 2010 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
This is going to sound weird, but when I read this book it bothered me so much I put it away and came back to read it again several days later. I guess I was just testing my opinions from the previous reading. I wanted to like this book. I really did.

I wanted to like the book so much because of the incredible illustrations. They are why I picked it up in the first place and it never stops delighting. It's the story I have a problem with. At first it's a simply wonderful story about a girl who i
Madeline Smoot
When this book originally came out it made a bit of a splash, but now days it seems to have been forgotten. And to me, that seems to be a shame because the book is very funny and very cute.

The books is centered around the little girl who decides to do various funny but socially unacceptable activities — like stapling her brother’s head to his pillow. Needless to say, she’s no longer allowed to do that anymore. It’s a clever, engaging book with wonderful illustrations that really highlight the ac
Tricia
My 3 boys all enjoyed this book. They know how to tell right from wrong, so it's not like they're going to turn into juvenile delinquents or unholy terrors as a result of this book. And goodness knows, they come up with plenty of crazy ideas on their own. Books like this provide a reminder that not all impulses need to be followed up on. And that controversial last page? They decided that her last phrase should be interpreted in the opposite sense (not allowed to say the opposite).
Jackie "the Librarian"
Hilarious! When the unrepentant protagonist of this book isn't busy tormenting her little brother by stapling his hair to his pillow and gluing his slippers to the floor, she is being passionate about beavers, so much so that she substitutes them for George Washington in her report. Beavers crossing the Delaware, a beaver on the dollar bill, yes!
Fun mixed-media art just adds to the wacky hijinks.
Kate Hastings
Apr 24, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2
Very funny story about a mischevious young girl who makes BAD choices to staple her brother to his pillow, put a fly in the ice cube tray and to do several things that nobody could possibly have thought to make into rules... until now.
Amy Carr
I don't think I've ever given a book a 1 star rating...but I REALLY disliked everything about this picture book. It gives kids really bad ideas, I don't like the illustrations, the story line, the main character...yuck.
Cheryl
I dunno how I feel about the controversy. I *think* my children would have had the sense to say "Look Mom, we're *good* compared to her; we'd never do those kinds of things!" But I'm not sure, and now my youngest if 15 and he thinks he's angelic. I'd definitely recommend that all parents read it, in secret, and then decide whether to share it with their kids. The artwork is marvelous: bright, clear, warm, and exuberant.

Btw, just to clarify if you've not read it and are confused, think of it as '
Pamela
Feb 28, 2013 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pamela by: Alice Ann
Congratulations to everyone who took this book so seriously that you missed all the fun! More fun for me! For real, though--do you really think that a book about a kid doing quirky, irritating, and, yes, naughty things is really going to turn your child into some sort of rampaging psychopath overnight? This story is hilarious, and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to having done some pretty interesting things as kids ... just because! I know I had some things I wasn't allowed to do...

Let me pu
Anna Richland
This might as well be called "an illustrated version of my life."

My daughter is the main character of this book. No question. I still remember the thrill I felt the first time I read this out loud to the child who used to write apologies on notes so she could ball them up and throw them at me. At least I never had to say "You are not allowed to apologize anymore."

The main character of this book is trapped in the beaver-obsession phase we know so well ... although at our house it is a cow phase
Brittaney Reed
Offill, J. (2007). 17 things I'm not allowed to do anymore. New York: Schwartz and Wade.

"17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do" by Jenny Offill and illustrated by Nancy Carpenter, follows a little girl as she explains why she is not allowed to do certain things. She glues her brother's slippers to the floor, she is not allowed to use glue, and she staples her brother's hair to his pillow, needless to say she is not allowed to use a stapler. The little girl goes through such antics and so on and so on
Mary Ann
Liliana Piedra
The story, 17 Things I'm not allowed to do anymore, by Jenny Offill, is a funny story about a little girl who continuously finds herself getting into trouble. Her energetic and creative ideas are what result in a few restrictions on what she can and cannot do. Nevertheless, it doesn't stop her from being a kid.
I think that kids will find this story very funny. It's great for kids of all ages. it shows kids how sometimes creativity and imagination can go too far, but that shouldn't stop them from
Ally Copper
The precocious young female narrator of "17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore" by Jenny Offill enjoys trying ornery and destructive pranks and exploits that try the patience of her mother and other adults in her life. As she tries new, creative ways of expressing herself and leaving her mark, such as doing her George Washington report on beavers instead or setting fire to her classmates' shoe using a magnifying glass, she soon finds out she is no longer allowed to do those very things. While ...more
Lisa the Librarian
I want to say that I absolutely LOVE the illustrations in this book. A mixture of fairly simple drawings, interesting objects in the background and photos of some key focal items this is a visual feast.

However, I am counting my blessings that I do not have this little girl in my life. She is pretty much a total brat! (I did have to smile about the beavers, though, because my kids have gotten into the whole obsessing about something mode).

I think this would be a good book to give to a parent of a
Shantelle
17 Things I’m not allowed to do anymore is about a girl who torments her brother, her pet, her classmates, and, of course, her mother. This story lists many inappropriate things that she has done and the things that she is not allowed to do anymore. “The text is short, spare, and fall-on-the-floor funny—not to mention utterly child-friendly” (1). This book would be perfect for somebody who is just learning to read, it has few words on each page but still creates a very entertaining story.

I found
george
A little girl and her list of seventeen things that she's not allowed to do anymore. Things such as: use the stapler because she stapled her brother's hair to the pillow; pretend that her mother is a waitress because she tried to order something else for dinner; write reports about beavers because she wrote that instead of the required report on George Washington. At the end she does find one thing that she is allowed to do.

I'm really conflicted about this--one the one hand, I really liked the i
Sandy Brehl
There are several reasons this book makes notable lists: humor, imagination, and believability. The idea that rules are as often a reaction to behaviors as they are arbitrary is delightfully portrayed. The central character's creative approach to everyday objects and activities inevitably generate the need for highly specific rules.
The final page avoids a saccharine conclusion that allows her to stay in character.
Carol Salgado
I found this book pretty funny. It's about a young, troubling girl who does things she is now not allowed to do. "I had an idea to show Joey Whipple my underpants. I am not allowed to show Joey Whipple my underpants anymore." This line was my favorite. In the end, she says she had an idea to say the opposite of what she means. "I'm sorry." She is allowed to say the opposite of what she means.
Full of ideas about sisterly antagonism, beaverish obsession, and go-your-own-wayness (that would be to school, backwards), one kid manages to learn the wrong lessons from the angry, worried, or baffled adults who must follow in her wake.

Carpenter enhances her pen and ink illustrations by replacing some elements of the drawing with photographed versions of the offending objects: a stapler, cauliflower, a one-dollar bill featuring a portrait of a beaver. This focuses the eye in a way which is sim
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

Our unnamed main character tells the reader about 17 great ideas that she had and is no longer allowed to repeat them. The adults in her life just don't seem to grasp her brilliance. For instance, she had the idea to staple her brother's hair to his pillow but now she is no longer allowed to use the stapler. How unfair is that?

Are you having a bad day? Do you need a little pick-me-up? 17 Things I'm Not Allowed To Do Anymore is guaranteed to make you laugh out lo
Ana Loza
i read that this little girl would do bad things . to her brother and stuff . so she wasent allowed to use the stapler , the glue , walk backwards from school , wash her hands in the dog bowl , use a magnify glass. she wasent allowed to show her underpants and a whole bunch of other things . but at the end she apologized to her mom .
Jakob
Sep 02, 2012 Jakob rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jakob by: Dr. Craig Svonkin
Shelves: for-school
I think it started out strong and had a few good ones, but then the format changed in the middle?
At first, when she misuses the stapler, she's not allowed to use it anymore. But when she shows off her underwear to a specific boy, instead of not being able to do cartwheels in skirts anymore, she's just not allowed to show her underwear to that boy anymore. It has its strong points and its weak points. The recurring theme about beavers is cute. Cute idea. Could have been done better in parts. It's
Maurie
I loved this book! The illustrator's adorable cover caught my eye and the author's naughty protagonist made me buy it. I hear a bit of controversy surrounding the child's behavior and the fact that the book ends with her seeming to "get away" with her latest trouble, but I think the rest of the book sets up nicely that for each action there is a consequence. As the parent of a "think-later" daughter who takes each rule I make completely literally so she can find a way around it, I can use this b ...more
Melanie
A young girl tells us the story of her day when she finds that there are 17 ideas she has tried during the day and is not allowed to do again. For example, she is not allowed to use the stapler after stapling her brothers' hair to his pillow. She is not allowed to show a classmate her underpants. She is not allowed to give the gift of cauliflower after chucking one at her brother during dinner. This continues until her mother just about loses it over dinner.

Her last action of the day is: "I had
Kyjafree
the narrator thought it was okay to staple her brother hair to the pillow. she put glue on his slippers so he can fall.she thought it was okay to walk backwards to school. she's not allowed to tell beaver stories or make ice anymore. she did 17 things she wanted to do tht she can't do anymore.
Nicole
I didn't like this one as much as their other collaboration (11 Experiments That Failed). Equally mischievous, but at the end she only said sorry because it's what her mom wanted to hear.
Casie
NO NO NO! This book is not cute to me. It is a little girl doing a lot of bad stuff. Some of it is silly, but some of it is ideas that I in NO way want to give my children, like: stapling their sibling's hair to a pillow or showing their underwear to a boy. And then the big lesson the girl learns...she lies to her parents that she is sorry and since she gets a hug for that, that is the ONE things she will do again. LIE TO HER PARENTS!
I wish I had stopped at the underwear display and not finished
Dolly
May 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very funny book that lists, as the title suggests, 17 things that a little girl isn't allowed to do anymore (because they got her in trouble) and 1 thing that she can always do. The illustrations show how clever, inventive, creative and naughty this little girl is, and how much her poor little brother has to put up with. I didn't like the last page, where she says she is sorry, but doesn't mean it, but I suppose that is fairly realistic.

Overall, I felt a bit mixed about this book; I w
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
  • Bedtime for Mommy
  • Kat Kong
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Beatrice Doesn't Want To
  • Guess Again!
  • I Dare You Not to Yawn
  • Tadpole's Promise
Jenny Offill is an American author born in Massachusetts. Her first novel Last Things was published in 1999 was a New York Times Notable book and a finalist for the L.A Times First Book Award.

She is also the co-editor with Elissa Schappell of two anthologies of essays and the author of several children's books She teaches in the MFA programs at Brooklyn College, Columbia University and Queens Univ
More about Jenny Offill...
Dept. of Speculation Sparky! 11 Experiments That Failed The Friend Who Got Away: Twenty Women's True Life Tales of Friendships that Blew Up, Burned Out or Faded Away Last Things