Start by marking “Gentle Cage” as Want to Read:
Gentle Cage

Gentle Cage

Amateur painter Itsuki Hashimoto and up-and-coming sculptor Masatsugu Tokiwa became friends through their love for art. But a few years later, family circumstances force Itsuki to cut Tokiwa off of his life. Now, Itsuki is living a confined life as the “human pet” of Yamabe-sensei, Tokiwa’s former teacher. Can Tokiwa help Itsuki break free of his cage?
Kindle Edition
Published June 24th 2009 by Digital Manga Publishing (first published January 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Gentle Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gentle Cage

Maverynthia
Sep 10, 2014 Maverynthia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp-books
(Trigger warning: Talk of rape)

This book was just a pile of rape, except for the end.

A lot of this book was telling and not showing, that being said Itsuki really didn't do much in the novel at all. It was always "Tokiwa this" and "Tokiwa that". Being a yaoi novel it seems to follow the par for the course of having a high amount of rape. Itsuki never consents to anything, even at the end where it just seems he has because the author has informed us that he was liking it or something.

Also the sto
Jaime
Jan 24, 2010 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review: It has to be noted, at least by me, as a writer of m/m romance from a western perspective, that had this book fallen into any romance category but Yaoi, there's a good chance it might never have been published. Tokiwa's 'seduction' if Itsuki is not gentle, and really, not consensual. At least not at first, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. Knowing the genre, I'm well aware this is a common trope, but I have reservations about it, nonetheless. Lots of people who love the ...more
Elisa Rolle
Itsuki and Tokiwa were friend when Tokiwa was still a struggling artist. Even if young and without money, Tokiwa was a proud man and also a persistent one; his interested for Itsuki went beyond friendship and he told so to the boy. He was gently wooing the man when sudden and serious family issue forced Itsuki to accept the proposition of an older artist, Yamabe, to become his personal assistant in all for all, almost a pet for the man to play as he please. Itsuki was forced to stop to seeing To ...more
KimberlyRose
Review originally published at mangaupdates.com in January, 2010.

This is one of my favourite yaoi novels; it has all the typical fantasy elements that I want in a smutty sort of novel that raises the hackles of social workers! LOL!

The relationship of the seme and uke includes rage, possessiveness, ownership, angst, and non-conish-conflict all merrily alongside tender, sweet, protective and loving. It accumulates in an ultimate, if socially-unacceptable/unbelievable, happy resolution!

The art is
April Moone
Jan 25, 2013 April Moone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was no reason to like either of the main characters. I understand the use and place of non-con in yaoi, however this was just violence for violence's sake. Sure, it was wrong, but I just didn't care. Neither men held enough depth to make me care about anything in the book. A lot of telling and no showing.
Kimiko Kotani
Nov 08, 2012 Kimiko Kotani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few years back, Tokiwa agreed to mind a stand at a street market for his friend. Amongst the various offering at the stand stood a small sculpture done by Tokiwa himself, who was surprised when a young art student decided to buy it on impulse. Itsuki dreamed of graduating from his vocational college and becoming an artist and drawn by their mutual love of art, the pair begin to hang out together. Sadly, things began to go bad for Itsuki. His single parent family is riddled with debt; suffering ...more
madamada-chan
May 10, 2011 madamada-chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bl-novel
優しい檻 "Gentle Cage" (licensed by June Manga) left me breathless. I just couldn't think of a word right now good enough to describe it. The interactions between the two main characters, as well as supporting characters, were so sensitive and plays gently on the heartstrings like a song softly strummed on a guitar.

At the end of reading, I was left sighing... in a good way. I guess the part I loved the most was the epilogue, and how it was told not from the main (uke), but the other (seme) lead cha
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Apr 11, 2009 Unapologetic_Bookaholic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of yaoi romance
3.5 of 5 really

The story of Itsuki and Tokiwa was one of the better yaoi romances I have read. Itsuki paints when inspired and Tokiwa is a trained sculptor.

When Itsuki disappears one day Tokiwa wants to know what is going on. He inquires and finds out Yamabe-sensei has taken Itsuki to be his personal assistant or better yet his own living doll. Be do with what he pleases. Even rumors of them being lovers does not bother Yamabe. But Itsuki is questioning his decision to work for him.

When he gets
Reader17 Der
Oct 08, 2008 Reader17 Der rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yaoi-read
Enjoyed reading this story. This is a typical Yaoi novel, but I like reading the Yaoi novel they are fast reads.

The book starts out with Itsuki going to Tokiwa house to ask him to come to his employers house to talk to him. Itsuki has a slight accident while there, so he has to stay for a few days. While he is there we find out the story of how Itsuki and Tokiwa meet in college and they become good friends. Tokiwa starts to fall for Itsuki. Itsuki family has some problems and to help with the f
Michalyn
This book managed to save itself at the very end but I thought for sure it was going to be a 1 star read. The writing wasn't bad; I'm just sick of yaoi novels where cruelty is passed off as kindness or love. Tokiwa mistreated Itsuki so much and yet not only did Itsuki not realize Tokiwa owed him an apology and then some, all he could think of was that he didn't want to inconvenience his partner. Grr. Could have been good if the seme wasn't such a jerk.
Untamed
Feb 22, 2013 Untamed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book some time back, and thankful I did. To me, a book that I can't put down, and must read in one sitting are exceptional. I fell in love with the dynamics between Tokiwa and Itsuki who were always on the path to fall in love, but life interfered. To see the lengths in which Tokiwa took to remain in Itsuki's life was heartwarming, although his way of doing it, was difficult for Itsuki, who never felt worthy of his love because of their past. I loved this novel.
Chelsea
reading this one was kind of hit and miss. i didn't get to into it wich suprised me since it was about painters and painting.
Brittany Walker (NekosBooks)
I enjoyed reading this Yaoi novel, but I can't help but think that I would have enjoyed the story line more (and kept up with the time skips better) if it had been in manga form.
Anya
Anya rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Franchesca
Franchesca rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Tracy's Place
3.5 out of 5
Helle
Helle rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Renka
Renka rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
Shahad
Shahad rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Nuryonysh
Nuryonysh rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
Bookfan92
Bookfan92 rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Jade Archer
Jade Archer rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2010
Jacklynn Ray
Jacklynn Ray rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Sarah Lu
Sarah Lu rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2011
Ketty Coutard
Ketty Coutard rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Keyla
Keyla rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Sui Lynn
Sui Lynn rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Leeann Schutz
Leeann Schutz rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Veazey
Veazey rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2011
  • The Lonely Egotist
  • Ai no Kusabi Vol. 2: Destiny
  • Sleeping With Money
  • Dark Walker
  • Only the Ring Finger Knows: The Left Hand Dreams of Him (Only the Ring Finger Knows, #2)
  • Love Water