Start by marking “The Little Mermaid” as Want to Read:
The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  16,389 Ratings  ·  680 Reviews
For Sulamith Wülfing, the world of fairy tales was always an inspiration for her beautiful paintings. Above all, she loved Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid, with its poetic language and its poignant understanding of the transforming power of love. For children and adults alike.
The exquisite paintings by Sulamith Wülfing perfectly evoke the magical world of the
Published 1997 by Bluestar Communications (first published 1836)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Mermaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Mermaid

Jean
The Little Mermaid, or "Den lille havfrue" is one of the most famous fairy tales by the Danish author, Hans Christian Andersen. It is a tale which has captured the imagination, sparking off numerous adaptations, and a ballet version of it inspired a statue which sits on a rock in the Copenhagan harbour in Langelinie. Even though the statue is quite small, it has itself become a Copenhagen icon and a major tourist attraction.

The tale was first published in 1837, along with "The Emperor's New Clot
Dominique
Mermaid

Hmm... I think its wrong to compare it with the Disney version of The Little Mermaid, although I didnt expected Andersens version was so... what shall I call it... f*cked up...
The point of view of the Little Mermaid herself was wonderful, she was sweet and good-hearted. But the prince, omg! Why would you love such a person?! I mean: The prince said she should remain with him always, and she received permission to sleep at his door, on a velvet cushion. What is she?! A dog?! And the ending was
Inés Izal
Apr 08, 2015 Inés Izal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disney nos tiene engañados completamente.
Carlos De Eguiluz
Desamor y tragedia, de eso está repleto este relato, lo opuesto a esa encantadora versión con la que crecí.
Jonnie
Sep 13, 2015 Jonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hah. This is going to be like the ragequit of book reviews.

*calm deep breaths* *inhale* *exhale* *googling pictures of fluffy kittens*

WHAT THE FUCK HANS? WHAT THE FUCK! No no no no no. NO.

description

I need to bleach this version from my SOUL. Hans, I'M TAWKING TO YOU. Rise up out of your 140 year old grave right now AND FIX THIS SHIT. I'm hunting down the original, and setting it on fire. Or at the very least writing Sebastian into your story. YOU CAN'T HAVE THE LITTLE MERMAID WITHOUT THE SASSY JAMAICAN CR
Kathryn
Jul 07, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chandra and Abigail!!!
A hauntingly beautiful story paired with achingly gorgeous illustrations! I'm sorry to say that this is the first time I've read the "actual" story of the Little Mermaid, previously acquainted only with very general retellings and the Disney movie version (which is delightful in its way). This version purports to be closest to Andersen's original as it makes only slight adaptations from the mid-19th century translation by Mary Howitt, a correspondent and friend of Andersen who introduced his wor ...more
Anne
The Little Mermaid I grew up with was a sweet and cheerful red head who I could sing along and be happy with, be happy for. She was one of Disney's greatest mutation projects, a character most kids born after the year 1989 would be most familiar with - that was the year of the adaptation of the originally dark and doleful tale of the youngest mer-daughter of the royal underwater empire into something much more luminous and chipper. Don't get me wrong, I loved and lived the Disney concept as a li ...more
Simona
Rating: 3/5

Întotdeauna am fost atrasă de desenele animate, iar cele clasice, care m-au însoțit de-a lungul copilăriei, sunt printre preferatele mele. Unul dintre acestea este cel cu Mica sirenă, despre care sunt sigură că mai toată lumea a auzit. Nu știam povestea originală, și devenisem curioasă dacă aceasta se aseamănă sau nu cu desenele în care o regăsim pe Ariel.

Mi-au plăcut cum arată cărțile ilustrate pentru copii de la Editura Univers Enciclopedic, iar printre ele am regăsit o adaptare a p
Paula W
Apr 21, 2017 Paula W rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There isn't much to like about this story. A young mermaid finds out she doesn't have a soul and will end up as nothing more than sea foam after her death, so she goes about stalking a human she hopes will fall in love with her and give her part of his soul. Which could work, I guess, if she hadn't gotten her tongue cut out or if the human didn't see her as a pet instead of a serious love interest. He even had her sleeping outside his room on a cushion. \_(°_o)_/ ...more
Maryame
Oct 20, 2016 Maryame rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
2.5/5

Here's the thing, I've never seen Disney's the Little Mermaid. For some unknown reason, I never felt the urge to do so, and of course I never planned to read the story, but a couple of days ago I got a Hans Christian Andersen book which has all his stories and that's why I read Little Match Girl & The Emperor's New Clothes.
As I was expecting, I did not like this one. I don't really have a specific issue with the story, but it just didn't click with me.
I thought maybe after reading this
Nalia
Oct 26, 2013 Nalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, classic, sad
“But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.”

I actually re-read this, i've read this once i was a kid. Basically, i grew up with Hans Christian Andersen's book and The Little Mermaid is always be my favorite. If you know the little mermaid from Disney then think the ending was happy ending and they live happily ever after, you can't found it here. The little mermaid that i know was sad story. This is about the sacrifice that Little Mermaid made for her love. She left her
Amanda
Dec 02, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-read
This is the first time I've read this original story (of possibly my favorite Disney movie). And obviously, it's a completely different experience, and the story is one that's been told in many forms throughout the last century at least. I did feel that it was closer to the Disney version than say, Snow White/Briar Rose. While I still don't like the less-than-happy ending, I enjoyed the story, imagery, etc enough to give it 4 stars. Probably my favorite of HCA's tales that I've read so far.
Steph
Sep 19, 2015 Steph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well I had heard this version was very different from the Disney version and oh was it different. I think it's a little bizarre if I'm honest but definitely not our ordinary happily ever after which I think I like.
Amina
Jun 01, 2017 Amina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

description

He loves her like a pet, because she's devoted to him.
She's allowed to sleep on his doorstep on a velvet cushion
He will marry because he can't marry the one he loves

Mr. prince:

Luxia
Jul 02, 2013 Luxia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who have only seen the Disney version
*This review is for The Little Mermaid, Charles Santore's edition.*

But the story itself is the most haunting fairy tale ever written. And a lot of people sadly don't know the real story. We shall journey under the sea and into the deep abyss, but there are no singing sidekick Crabs and fishie friends to accompany or help rescue this Little mermaid.

The story will play out slightly more darker in Hans Christian Andersen's tale...of unrequited love, hope and selflessness. A pretty lovesick Mermai
Eman
Disney's The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite animated movies. The book is even better.

I personally assume that when Hans Christian Andersen wrote The Little Mermaid, he didn't intend it for little children even though the theme is kinda childish. It's more suitable for teens, or can fit in the YA genre more than Children's Literature. The book is so beautifully written with a creative touch on the mer-people and a deep take on self-sacrifice. It doesn't have your typical happy ending we're
Natsu
This is a re-read. My parents bought me a book of fairy tales when I was a kid. Even then I found it waaaaaaay better than the deluded "happily-ever-after" thing which Disney presented (I've read the Disney book, but I never watched the animated movie). Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Disney, I love "Frozen" and Belle's (actually The Beast's) Library.

It shows that life isn't all peachy. There's pain, sacrifice, and defeat in between and sometimes... there is no happy ending unless you l
Merphy Napier
Jun 26, 2017 Merphy Napier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
I know this has really high ratings but I still feel like I shouldn't have loved this as much as I did. It was so tragically awesome. I love that it didn't have a happy ending. It was weird as snot but I loved it.
Anastasja Kostic
Ova mala bajka je jako tužna, i jako mi je krivo što nisam imala prilike da se pre domognem ove originalne verzije.
Claudia

Este es el final tragico, no la de "Finales Felices", no se casan

Para empezar, cuando era pequeña estaba fascinada con la version de Disney, pero hace tiempo la vi de nuevo, despues de muchos años sin verla, y me doy cuenta que la historia se hacen en 3 dias, y de verdad no hay ningun sentido de amor entre Erick y Ariel

Erick con solo escuchar a Ariel, ya esta enamorado de Ariel
Ariel esta encaprichada que sea una sirena y el es un humano

No le encuentro ningun sentido su enamoramiento, es tan ra
Nouf *LostinFantasy*

“I know what you want,” said the sea witch; “it is very stupid of you, but you shall have your way, and it will bring you to sorrow, my pretty princess. You want to get rid of your fish’s tail, and to have two supports instead of it, like human beings on earth, so that the young prince may fall in love with you, and that you may have an immortal soul.”

This dark but sad fairytale is definitely not the Disney version we grew up on. There's suffering, sacrifice, and maybe there's a happy ending o
Majo
Aug 13, 2014 Majo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuentos
Perault, a diferencia de los hermanos Grimm, se molesta en describir el entorno... y lo hace de una manera bellisíma.

Adoro este cuento, me encanta la protagonista y su forma soñadora de ser, y que sea capaz de dar todo por amor. El castigo que la Hechicera del Abismo le impone a la Sirenita me parece un poco excesivo:
"...Deberás sufrir atrozmente y, cada vez que pongas los pies en el suelo sentirás un terrible dolor."
Sé que estos relatos son más oscuros y pretendian darle lecciones a los niños,
Geo MaHa
عجبني الخيـال فيها
والمعني الجميـل المقصود منها :))
Jetzabel
Aug 14, 2014 Jetzabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor little mermaid...
Kelly ...
May 21, 2017 Kelly ... rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, childrens
Not Disney -- and I was disappointed. I found the prince detestable. I found the ending dull and anticlimactic. And I was bored to tears by the moralistic tone.
Mihaela
Aug 12, 2016 Mihaela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, well, this is going to be a harsh review...
"The little mermaid" is my favorite Disney movie since FOREVER. I knew the original story had a tragic ending, despite that I prepared myself to love, or at least like it anyway. But wow, this is NOT what I expected.
description
And I knew that this story was inspired by a real one, in which our dear Hans Christian Andersen is metaphorically the little mermaid, more exactly, a gay who was in love with a straight man, who chose a woman over him. I mean, yeah, it'
Eva Lucia
Apr 09, 2015 Eva Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danish, 1800s, fairy-tale
Also posted on Eva Lucias blog

The Little Mermaid is one of my favourite fairy tales by the wonderful Hans Christian Andersen. I have always been interested in his authorship and I spent a year of internship to promote Odense as Hans Christian Andersen's city and wrote articles about his fairy tales and studied them in detail.

This fairy tale is certainly something else. Everyone who has read it and seen the Disney version will definitely be surprised, or have an even worse reaction seeing the Dis
Cristiann
I've always loved mermaids. When I was little, I dreamed about being one! lol. I've always found them to be such beautiful & interesting mythical creatures. So of course, you would think that I love Han's Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid, right? WRONG. And it's not just because of the Disney version. In fact, I always had some issues with Disney's version of the fairytale even before I read the original story.

I never understood how the mermaid could give up her family & life unde
Kim
Jun 14, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Amanda Butler
Aug 15, 2016 Amanda Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, mermaids
While this version is, on the surface (pun intended), less cheerful than the Disney version, the two are separate stories in their own rights. I can see where Disney borrowed some elements and scaled back on others to make the story more child-friendly, but the original version is a beautiful “tail” in and of itself.

In the Disney version, the little mermaid wants one thing only: to be with the prince. In this version, the little mermaid wants not only the prince, but also what the sacrament of
Catching up on Cl...: June 2017 - The Little Mermaid 84 110 Jun 24, 2017 07:31AM
Reading Addicts: Classic BOTM_The Little Mermaid 4 10 Apr 27, 2016 08:52PM
Into the Forest: The Little Mermaid - Hans Christian Andersen - July/Aug 32 30 Apr 26, 2016 12:22PM
Would you... 2 11 Aug 23, 2014 12:40PM
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Swan Princess
  • Thumbelina
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...

“But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.” 4057 likes
“She laughed and danced with the thought of death in her heart.” 291 likes