Start by marking “The Social Animal” as Want to Read:
The Social Animal

The Social Animal

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,252 ratings  ·  65 reviews
A landmark text that maintains its relevance and unique approach edition after edition, The Social Animal offers a brief, compelling introduction to modern social psychology. Through vivid narrative, lively presentations of important research, and intriguing examples, Elliot Aronson probes the patterns and motives of human behavior, covering such diverse topics as terroris ...more
Published May 27th 2011 by Worth Publishers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Social Animal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Social Animal

Jenn
The author states that he purposely left this book brief so that it could serve as an introduction to social psychology. As valid a goal as that might be, Elliot Aronson's approach leaves the reader with a book that only provides examples and defines barely any terms or theories. Aronson must have known that his book may be used as primary text for a social psychology class (as it was in mine), which makes the inadequacies of this book inexcusable.

The author bolds key terms but a review of the d
Zachary Zhao
For every subject, there is a Bible textbook. This has to be the one for Social Psychology.
عبدالرحمن عقاب
هذا الكتاب يعتبر بحق مقدمة نافعة و متقنة في مجال علم النفس الاجتماعي.
فصوله الثلاث الأولى أهم في موضوعاتها وأكثر إتقانا في عرضها من الأخيرة.
يمتاز الكتاب بسلاسة الأسلوب، وترتيب الأفكار. ويعيبه طول فصوله وإسهابه في مواطن لا تحتاج إلى الإسهاب والإطالة ويمكن فيها الاستغناء بذكر تجربة أو اثنتين والتركيز على النتائج. وينقصه الجداول والملخصات في الهوامش فهي لو أضيفت ستعطيه إفادة وتميزا وفائدة أكبر.
Mohammed Al Hajji
A great reference for avid social psychology readers. It goes through all main concepts in the field in a simple yet enriching content.
Ernest
This insightful social psychology book for the curious layperson provoked and challenged the way I think about influences that people have and are subjected to. In an increasingly intellectual apathetic world, it was really interesting to read about research into humans as an influencing and influential being on others, especially in ways that surprised or were counterintuitive.

As a book written to be brief, I can understand the author not going into some concepts in more scholarly detail. Howe
Sid
Social Psychology is a really captivating topic, and as a primer this book was great. The author sure seems to know what he is writing about, giving examples and case studies from findings. But along with that his writing is captivating and drew me to read more and become more curious on the matter he was writing. I am keen on knowing more about the subject and applications of it.

Strongly recommend this book, can't think of a reason how it cannot impact anybody and everybody. We all are social
Assaad
Excellent. It's an encyclopedia for modern psychology. Covering a very wide range of experiences. I really really enjoy it. When I finished the book, I felt like I don't need to read anything anymore about Social Psychology!
I was also amazed by the scientific approach to do experiments in social psychology.
Chapeau-bas!
Yvonne
Jan 04, 2009 Yvonne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in psychology
I had to read this book for my Social Psychology class and it was (quite possibly) the only "text" book I ever actually read. It was a fascinating merging of psychology in a social context. The subject is immediately applicable to real life.
Evan
This is one of the best and most illuminating books I have ever read.

This book is what every self-help book dreams of being; instead of anecdotes or feel-good advice, there's 400 pages of meticulously referenced (sadly just endnotes, not sidenotes or footnotes) peer-reviewed articles. Aronson's life work is, as he concludes the book, understanding "how we think, how we behave, what makes us aggressive, and what makes us loving." So many books peck around the edges of that topic; this book, now i
Kenny Bell
This book has truly effected the way I deal with every day situations. Although this book was very dense, Elliot Aronson writes simplistically.

The most revolutionary thing I take from this book that I always seem to have my brain meddle in is cognitive dissonance. Cognitive dissonance is when you have two conflicting beliefs.

For example, when you have to clean your room and its filthy but you don't feel like it. You feel like a dirty person but you try to stay clean outwardly in front of peopl
Stefano Finazzo
Pois o bicho humano é uma caixinha de surpresas.

Elliot Aronson escreveu um livro-texto para ajudar a entender a falácia da racionalidade humana. Pois quando o bicho humano está próximo de outro bicho humano, a coisa muda de figura.

Esse é o tipo de coisa que todos, principalmente os que se acham completamente racionais, precisam entender um pouco. O bicho humano age por outros mecanismos além da razão que podem, insidiosamente, se fazerem valer por razão. O poder da conformidade, da dissonância c
Cassy
This book covers so much, and it's a huge wake up to the human nature and how we are inclined to do good and awful things. I love the emphasis on eliminating prejudice. There is also a great chapter, 'Liking, loving, and interpersonal sensitivity', that is applicable to anyone in a relationship. I guess this is my inspiration to study sociology and psychology in university :)
Robin
Good basic social psychology textbook. Accessible to those who are completely new to the discipline. Intermediate readers might want more information.
Milad
It is an amazing book about the social behavior of human being .I recommend this book to anyone interested in social science and psychology.
Dinesh
This has made me rethink many things which I thought were obvious. Now I can better understand a may situations, thanks to this book.
LIN
Human/social psychology is so complicated that staying brutally honest to ourselves is utmost important and difficult
Andy Sterkowitz
Self-justification, prejudice, mass communication, conformity, attraction & how we think are interwoven deeply in us by social conditioning
Erin Sweet
This book was amazing. It had information from a textbook that was as easy to read as a novel.
André Bueno
Excellent book! The author tackled a wide array of topics and I felt his writing style was quite engaging.
Koleś
This is a textbook I believe, but it's still very fun to read for a person that is not interested profesionally in social psychology. It explained very well many concepts, ideas, theories and results of researches, but also explained how social psychology works, how researches are conducted etc. It gave me many interesting information about how people work in society but also, how social psychology, as a field of science works.

For me it's a must read for everybody that is interested in topic and
Slava Gorbunov
Very interesting and useful book! Some ideas were kind of extra evidence of what I knew before from experience and personal socio-psychological observations, but many things were new.
Also I found some useful terms that are used to describe certain behaviour, my or of others. From now on I will use it in conversations.
I recommend this book to all people, because it explains using very good examples how we behave as humans and how usually our tendency to be logical and rational just simply doesn't
Wenting
The book's writing style is very interesting.
Alex
even though this was a read for school, i rather enjoyed it. it was extremely repetitive, but the author indicates that he is repetitive so it is not as annoying as it could be. if you are interested in social issues, i found this to be an interesting read--that also helped me fall asleep at night.
Ahmed Abdelrazek
لو تقييم الكتاب دا من 100 هاديله 100 ... الكتاب دا احسن كتاب قريته في حياتي ... اولا هو أحد الأسباب في أني أقرر اتخصصص سيكولوجي ... فهمني حاجات كتير جدا عن نفسي وعن المجتمع اللي انا عايش فيه ... من خلاله قدرت أفسر تصرفات ناس كتير وليه بيعملوها ... أنا بقرأ في الكتاب من خمس شهور مش عشان مش عارف اخلصه لكن عشان كل ما اقرأ جزء لازم أقف وأفكر فيه وأهضمه من روعته وفايدته ...انا واخد أجزاء من الكتاب عامله 46 صفحة ... قررت أشتر يالكتاب دا هدية لنفسي في عيدميلادي الجاي
Taylor Alcantar
I read this book for a sociology class and I was surprised by how much I liked it. I would have read this for "fun" and the language is really accessible. I would recommend this book for anyone who likes to people watch, reading this book was like people "watching" people's thoughts. It really gave me a lot of insight into human behavior and made me pause and reflect on myself.
Kari Olfert
If you want to dive deeper into our subconscious and the choices we make, this is your bible.
Mac
One of the most influential books which have totally changed my perspective on people's psychology, making the readers become more aware of the little insignificant details that influence their lives on the subconscious level. Nothing is as it seems, and you can always dig a little deeper to find something else hidden beneath the exterior.
Red Kempf
This is an amazing book about the world of psychology and how as a people we function. It does not cover the individual, but instead the group and how individuality can be lost in situations. Readable for all and not over academic, Elliot Aronson writes in a style that is clear and creates interest. One of my favorite books.
Virginia
I read this book for a graduate class in Social Psychology. For a required read, it was pretty good. I'm not sure it was one I would have picked up on my own, but it was very interesting and written in a reader-friendly format. Definitely one of the better "required" reads in my academic career.
Alford Wayman
An excellent introduction to the field of social psychology! Learned some intresting things on why people think and act like they do. This was a most
helpful introduction when thought about in light of religion. After reading this I would love to learn more about the field of social psychology!
  • The Branded Mind: What Neuroscience Really Tells Us about the Puzzle of the Brain and the Brand
  • The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence (McGraw-Hill Series in Social Psychology)
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Beyond Culture
  • Strangers to Ourselves - Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious
  • Out of Character: Surprising Truths About the Liar, Cheat, Sinner (and Saint) Lurking in All of Us
  • Obedience to Authority
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
  • How to Think Straight about Psychology
  • Mindfulness
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The Story of Psychology
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do
Elliot Aronson (Born January 1932) is listed among the 100 most eminent psychologist of the 20th Century, best known for his Jigsaw Classroom experiments, cognitive dissonance research, and bestselling Social Psychology textbooks. He is the only person in the 120-year history of the American Psychological Association to have won all three of its major awards: For distinguished writing (1973), for ...more
More about Elliot Aronson...
Social Psychology Not by Chance Alone: My Life as a Social Psychologist Nobody Left to Hate Readings about the Social Animal, Ninth Edition The Jigsaw Classroom: Building Cooperation in the Classroom

“Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally
and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human.
Society is something in nature that precedes the individual. Anyone who
either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need
to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god.
Aristotle