Start by marking “Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland & Interior Decorating” as Want to Read:

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"Palm Trees on the Hudson "is the hilarious prequel to Elliot Tiber s bestseller "Taking Woodstock." Before Elliot found financial success by bringing Woodstock Ventures to his upstate motel, he was one of Manhattan s leading interior designers. Then Elliot s career came to a halt due to a floating society party, Judy Garland, and the Mob.In April 1968, Elliot was hired to...more
Published November 25th 2010 by Square One Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Palm Trees on the Hudson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palm Trees on the Hudson

Sandra
A Fun Summer Read

A lot of people will relate to Elliot's story of rising above family expectations to find the true meaning of life.
Barbara
Digging it so far. Just on beginning chapters. Set in Greenwich Village, 50s, Beatniks.
I know this is going to be a 5 Star book. So a big thanks to Elliot Tiber for making this a free Kindle book.
Barb 7/22/11

Ok, now I'm finished and changing to 5 stars. I was rooting for Elliot through the whole book. And right now I'm going to listen to a few Judy Garland songs.
Barb 7/23/11
April
Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland, & Interior Decorating is written by Elliot Tiber, author of the bestselling Taking Woodstock.
This biography chronicles Tiber's life until around the age of 35. It glimpses at his childhood with his cold mother and passive father, his "run for freedom" to Greenwich Village, and his struggle to become a success as an interior decorator.

Tiber seems like such a fascinating person, and in this memoir I couldn't help but feel for him...more
Grady
'If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?'

This review is from: Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland & Interior Decorating (Hardcover)
Elliot Tiber (AKA Eliahu Teichberg) has the gift! He can take a story about his life, embroider it with many truths and then provide scatological filigree on riffs that include social mores, New York lifestyles, Judy Garland etc and come up with a novel (AKA memoir, because it is almost all true) that riv...more
Judy
This prequel to Tiber's Taking Woodstock is both hilarious and heartbreaking. In this memoir, Elliot Tiber recalls escaping Brooklyn and his passive father and emasculating and controlling mother and moving to Manhattan where he attends college, lives on practically nothing, and eventually becomes a leading New York City interior designer. Then April 1968 arrives. Tiber is asked to create an over-the-top birthday celebration for a man who turns out to be involved with the mob. The party began as...more
Peggy
This memoir is a quick read highlighting Elliot's struggle to become a successful interior decorator in 1960's Manhattan. I did not find the book "hilarious" as the book jacket states, but it was interesting and poignant. The pivotal event was the private party Elliot staged for the owner of the Crystal Palace who unbeknownst to Elliot had mob affiliations. Elliott also struggles with an overbearing Jewish mother, funneling money into his parent's failing motel enterprise and addressing his hom...more
TwoDrinks
This book isn't well written (maybe it doesn't matter as it's a memoir?) and I'm not convinced that all the events in it are true. I think I find the author a bit of a noticebox which reduces my interest in him. It seems to have been published in 2010 and if that's correct, I find some of his views of the world surprisingly antiquated and sometimes prejudicial for a gay man whose social life pre-dates gay equality. That said, the stories in the book are interesting and passed the time.
Dan
Elliot Tiber tells of his life growing up in Brooklyn with a domineering mother and a submissive father in this quirky memoir. It also explains how he survived his upbringing to escape to the go to college and become a decorator and also a motel owner. The funny (not laugh out loud) vignettes of life in Manhattan, the people he meets, especially Judy Garland and situations he gets himself into makes this a entertaining book. Its quick read into the eccentric mind of this author.
Felicity
After having recently watched the film 'Taking Woodstock', which I loved, I was very excited to find this wonderful memoir, which is, in effect, a prequel to that film. I love Elliot's writing style and his tales of coming of age and leaving home, his hate/love relationship with his mother, and the way he shares his journey into life, love and the workforce. I was left wanting more!
Marybeth
I read this book because it was a 'free' Kindle book, and found it very enjoyable - thank you, Amazon. I doubt if I would have read it otherwise, but glad I did.

Elliot's early years were full of adventure and I often laughed at some of his stories. The reflection of the his life at the end of the book was moving.
Cathy
The 1960s through the eyes of Elliot Tiber. Interesting look at the gay community in New York and one man's episodic family dysfunction. Very funny.
Ace Bannon
A light read that was everything I expected but nothing more. Not sure how much of it is accurate, but it was a fun look at a particular time and place.
Liz Kuhns
Pretty well-written. I enjoy memoirs even if I do not recognize the person as famous, so this book was right up my alley.
Terra
I kept wanting it to get better, but the writing was very stilted and reminded me of some of my freshman comp memoirs.
Katy
Quite an entertaining short memoir. Well written. Didn't even know who this guy was, but it didn't matter.
Meredith Kleeger Oppenheim
If you like Judy Garland, Drag Queeens and comedy you will like this book.
A prequel to Taking Woodstock.
Virginia Hlavaty
I got it free for my Kindle, but I really liked it. It was a light, fast read.
Nancy
Free on Kindle. A fascinating read. Prequel of Woodstock Nation
Becki Racunas
This book was interesting, but more of an autobiography.
Doreen
Just cant get into this one...
Amy Chang
Amy Chang marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
B.T. Mienoré
B.T. Mienoré marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, a Concert, and a Life Aconteceu em Woodstock Woodstock Delirium After Woodstock: The True Story of a Belgian Movie, an Israeli Wedding, & a Manhattan Breakdown Ticket to Freedom Woodstock