Start by marking “My Way of Life” as Want to Read:
My Way of Life

My Way of Life

Inscribed By Joan Crawford..224 pages of Text
Published November 1st 1972 by Not Avail (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about My Way of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Way of Life

Kate
Oct 16, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because 5 stars = "it was amazing". This book is so insane, it's amazing. I could write a whole new book on why this book was so awesomely crazy. Joan has iron-clad rules for EV-RY-THING - so many, many tips on how to be fabulous.
Here's what I learned from Joan:
1. If there is anything on your body that needs to be moisturized, do it with mayonnaise.
2. Mommie Dearest is probably not too off the mark.
Here are my two favorite quotes:
(Regarding starting a "beauty club" to lo
Carina
Dec 13, 2009 Carina rated it it was amazing
Things Joan likes: cleanliness, rules, hostess pajamas, being a slim, fragrant, interesting, charming woman who is admired in the boardroom and the bedroom.
Things Joan does not like: your sorry excuses for why you can't be a slim, fragrant, interesting, charming woman who is admired in the boardroom and the bedroom. Also, hippies.
Colleen
Apr 02, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-movies
Oh Joan.

The pure craziness in this book is ratcheted all the way to the highest level, but that's to be expected, especially considering who wrote it and that time in her life. Just by itself, it's a revealing, often hilarious, sometimes disturbing glimpse into the mind of Joan Crawford. It's a self-help/advice book, but it's more honest I think of a picture of self than most autobiographies.

Taken into context of Joan's life, especially events in the 70s, book has a touch of pathos, especially
Nina
Sep 05, 2013 Nina rated it it was amazing
This book kept me giggling and intrigued for the 4 short hours it took to read it. If anything, it will make you laugh! I am a huge Joan Crawford fan firstly. I think she is THE epitome of the Golden Age of Hollywood Movie Star. They don't make em like her anymore. Such a gifted actress and her life was so glamorous...this book reveals that! She reveals her favorite dishes to make and beauty secrets. Joan seems to forget the ordinary housewife is not extremely wealthy like she is and the fact th ...more
Martin
Oct 16, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about reviewing this book. There’s really not much to it. Ms. Crawford gives advice that may have been slightly more helpful or insightful at the time, but we’ve either adopted her way of living or have completely grown away from it. Yes, a high protein, low carb diet is great for the figure, but no, women do not stay in bed for a few months to try to diminish muscle tone, particularly muscular calves. She says that it is great to join a group for exercise to help stay moti ...more
Mitch
Aug 25, 2008 Mitch rated it really liked it
HILARIOUS! Joan Crawford, who by the time she wrote this book was in her late 50's, chronicles the way everyone should live - the same as she does. Along the way, she encourages dinner parties, and suggests a guest list that includes a starlet, an astronaut and a bearded poet. Seriously.

Her "let them eat cake" tone is punctuated by her attempt to come of as one of the people, but she cannot stay there too long. When suggesting that one can throw a dinner party for little money, by the time she
Matt
Oct 12, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
This book is demented.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joan Crawford fans
This is a how-to-live-your-life book written by that paragon of family life and normalcy, Joan Crawford. Joan has, at this point, been a Star for decades, and it shows. What planet does this woman live on? Well, one where all dresses have matching gloves specially made. And where one dresses to the nines to pose with indigenous peoples of other lands. Or should I say, bestow one's presence on the said peoples. The book picks up after she marries Pepsi magnate Alfred Steele, a time when her caree ...more
Gina
Oct 09, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing
From Joan's guide to life:
"During the most blissful years of my life the dead center of my life was my husband. I worked with him, and I made sure that he was comfortable and happy as a man could be, and should be. Our home was designed to please him, and I was delighted when he wanted to bring his work back to it and share it with me. I organized his quiet times and made sure that children had been taken care of and the phones and doorbells wouldn't disturb him while he had some well-earned rel
Beth Newman
Jan 06, 2014 Beth Newman rated it it was amazing
This book was all that I hoped it to be - and more! As a fan of Miss Crawford's movies, I couldn't help but be intriqued by her insights and advice. Dry skin -JC's got you covered. Tips for a happy marriage - that's included, too. Exercise, clothing, entertaining, decorating - it's all here.

I don't buy into all of the Mommie Dearest allegations, but after reading this I do buy into what has been reported about Joan over the years: he was success-driven, disciplined, and expected the best from h
Pamster
Nov 28, 2012 Pamster rated it really liked it
Oh wow! SO COMPLETELY CRAZY!! Amazing. I sped through it. Lots of stuff about how to get your husband to let you work, or let you wear a color he thinks he doesn't like on you, what to feed to hungry men who are having business meetings in the den (sausage, or black bread with peanut butter and bacon), how important it is to be fresh always when your husband comes home, what foods to put on your face and hair, really detailed shit about entertaining, bad stuff about hippies and feminists, how to ...more
Rob
Nov 19, 2015 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wanted advice on keeping yourself beautiful, packing suitcases for a trip to Africa, or isometric exercises you can do at home, Joan's got your back. Apparently this book was dictated, and it shows, reading like a long lecture. Don't expect any juicy gossip, or even much self-reflection on her long career. But between the lines there's some fascinating stuff. Yes, there are multiple paragraphs about the "right way" to hang up clothes and wash floors ("handsies and kneesies" only). ...more
Margot Note
I listened to the whole thing on Youtube because I am a masochist!
Brian
Aug 01, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
Joan Crawford dictated these 200+ pages of her ridiculous stream of consciousness to a secretary. More a book of manners than an autobiography, Joan's advice is perfect for aging, masochistic debutantes the world over.
Lauren Hassabou
Oct 13, 2012 Lauren Hassabou rated it it was amazing
A hilarious look at everyday life through the eyes of Joan Crawford. It is a must read for any fans or for people who would like to see the world through her eyes in her words. I loved every page!
Cilantro
Oct 12, 2007 Cilantro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: movies
The delightfully bitchy Joan holds forth on Tips for Living, and in the process had me in stitches. This book is a hoot.
Jan 09, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
loved this book, it is too funny and if you didn't know better you would think she was the Martha Stewart of her day
Nancy L.
Oct 12, 2007 Nancy L. rated it it was amazing
How could I have neglected this gem? A must-read for all who are enthralled by sour-milk moués and caterpillar brows.
David Cerda
Sep 16, 2007 David Cerda rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on how to life your life ever written.
Steve
Oct 08, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Hilarious. Just hilarious.
Tanya
May 08, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious and cracked me up from front to back. I had no idea Joan Crawford had a later career as as the prototype for the Gwyneth Paltrow type celebrity lifestyle bloggers of today. Some of her advice is actually decent, but as you can imagine, this book is chock full of bat-shit crazy tips and hints.
Jill
Aug 29, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, autobiography
Straightforward, interesting, funny. She's serious, saucy, and waggish all in one. Love you, Joan!
Beth
Jul 15, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
An absolute hoot from start to finish. Best read while imagining Joan herself doing the narration.
Steve Inman
Jun 21, 2016 Steve Inman rated it liked it
This is a fun book. It's a look at old fashioned ideas and the way Joan operates. I recommend this book to fans of Joans or to people who like to see ideas of different times. I was able to get a copy of Joan reading it herself which is an added treat as she's my favorite from the classic actresses.
Bookworm Erica
Oct 30, 2014 Bookworm Erica rated it it was amazing
Love. I'll be doing her beauty regime asap
Emily
Feb 01, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok
Archaic, amazing, and awesome. This was a fun read.
Richie
Oct 08, 2015 Richie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh Joan, what can I say about this magical book? Not only do I now know how to keep my husband happy, but I also know how to throw a small dinner party for 18, and also know how to find my true sense of style and how to stick to it! Though some of it was absurd, I overall enjoyed her sense of self and knowing how to get what she wanted. What a woman!
Shelley
Feb 05, 2008 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Joan
If you've ever asked yourself the question 'What Would Joan Do?' then this is the book for you! This fascinating read contains tips from Joan on everything from parenting to cleaning and everything in between. No, you're not dreaming - it's real...and it's fabulous! Find a used copy on ebay or amazon (it's out of print) you won't be sorry!
Phyllis
A timeless classic in the crazy celebrity writes unselfconsciously crazy book about their crazy life genre. Carpet scooting calisthenics, a German maid named Mamacita, wilted spinach and bacon salads, and gallons and gallons of Pepsi are featured in this amazing book that will take you on an emotional journey of a thousand miles.
Brian
Aug 23, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
I was expecting a good laugh from the other reviews and got just that. This book is an interesting peek into the world of Joan Crawford and in a way make Christina Crawford's Mommie Dearest seem pretty valid.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Little Me: The Intimate Memoirs of that Great Star of Stage, Screen and Television/Belle Poitrine/as told to
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
  • My Life at Grey Gardens: 13 Months and Beyond
  • A Woman's View: How Hollywood Spoke to Women, 1930-1960
  • Garbo
  • Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann
  • Glass of Fashion: A Personal History of Fifty Years of Changing Tastes and the People Who Have Inspired Them
  • The President's Daughter
  • Bette Davis: A Biography
  • Girl Singer: An Autobiography
  • I Shock Myself: The Autobiography of Beatrice Wood
Joan Crawford (born Lucille Fay LeSueur) was an Academy Award-winning American actress. Crawford is named as the tenth Greatest Female Star of All Time by the American Film Institute.

Starting as a dancer on Broadway, Crawford was signed to a motion picture contract by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in 1925 and played small parts. By the end of the '20s she became a famous flapper. Beginning in the 19
More about Joan Crawford...

“I need sex for a clear complexion, but I'd rather do it for love.” 42 likes