My Way of Life

My Way of Life

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Inscribed By Joan Crawford..224 pages of Text
Published November 1st 1972 by Not Avail (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about My Way of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Way of Life

Kate
I gave this book 5 stars because 5 stars = "it was amazing". This book is so insane, it's amazing. I could write a whole new book on why this book was so awesomely crazy. Joan has iron-clad rules for EV-RY-THING - so many, many tips on how to be fabulous.
Here's what I learned from Joan:
1. If there is anything on your body that needs to be moisturized, do it with mayonnaise.
2. Mommie Dearest is probably not too off the mark.
Here are my two favorite quotes:
(Regarding starting a "beauty club" to lo...more
Carina
Things Joan likes: cleanliness, rules, hostess pajamas, being a slim, fragrant, interesting, charming woman who is admired in the boardroom and the bedroom.
Things Joan does not like: your sorry excuses for why you can't be a slim, fragrant, interesting, charming woman who is admired in the boardroom and the bedroom. Also, hippies.
Nina
This book kept me giggling and intrigued for the 4 short hours it took to read it. If anything, it will make you laugh! I am a huge Joan Crawford fan firstly. I think she is THE epitome of the Golden Age of Hollywood Movie Star. They don't make em like her anymore. Such a gifted actress and her life was so glamorous...this book reveals that! She reveals her favorite dishes to make and beauty secrets. Joan seems to forget the ordinary housewife is not extremely wealthy like she is and the fact th...more
Colleen
Oh Joan.

The pure craziness in this book is ratcheted all the way to the highest level, but that's to be expected, especially considering who wrote it and that time in her life. Just by itself, it's a revealing, often hilarious, sometimes disturbing glimpse into the mind of Joan Crawford. It's a self-help/advice book, but it's more honest I think of a picture of self than most autobiographies.

Taken into context of Joan's life, especially events in the 70s, book has a touch of pathos, especially...more
Gina
From Joan's guide to life:
"During the most blissful years of my life the dead center of my life was my husband. I worked with him, and I made sure that he was comfortable and happy as a man could be, and should be. Our home was designed to please him, and I was delighted when he wanted to bring his work back to it and share it with me. I organized his quiet times and made sure that children had been taken care of and the phones and doorbells wouldn't disturb him while he had some well-earned rel...more
Beth Newman
This book was all that I hoped it to be - and more! As a fan of Miss Crawford's movies, I couldn't help but be intriqued by her insights and advice. Dry skin -JC's got you covered. Tips for a happy marriage - that's included, too. Exercise, clothing, entertaining, decorating - it's all here.

I don't buy into all of the Mommie Dearest allegations, but after reading this I do buy into what has been reported about Joan over the years: he was success-driven, disciplined, and expected the best from h...more
Pamster
Oh wow! SO COMPLETELY CRAZY!! Amazing. I sped through it. Lots of stuff about how to get your husband to let you work, or let you wear a color he thinks he doesn't like on you, what to feed to hungry men who are having business meetings in the den (sausage, or black bread with peanut butter and bacon), how important it is to be fresh always when your husband comes home, what foods to put on your face and hair, really detailed shit about entertaining, bad stuff about hippies and feminists, how to...more
Mitch
HILARIOUS! Joan Crawford, who by the time she wrote this book was in her late 50's, chronicles the way everyone should live - the same as she does. Along the way, she encourages dinner parties, and suggests a guest list that includes a starlet, an astronaut and a bearded poet. Seriously.

Her "let them eat cake" tone is punctuated by her attempt to come of as one of the people, but she cannot stay there too long. When suggesting that one can throw a dinner party for little money, by the time she...more
Lauren Hassabou
A hilarious look at everyday life through the eyes of Joan Crawford. It is a must read for any fans or for people who would like to see the world through her eyes in her words. I loved every page!
Cilantro
The delightfully bitchy Joan holds forth on Tips for Living, and in the process had me in stitches. This book is a hoot.
loved this book, it is too funny and if you didn't know better you would think she was the Martha Stewart of her day
Nancy L.
How could I have neglected this gem? A must-read for all who are enthralled by sour-milk moués and caterpillar brows.
David Cerda
One of the best books on how to life your life ever written.
Steve
Hilarious. Just hilarious.
Matt
This book is demented.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2008 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joan Crawford fans
This is a how-to-live-your-life book written by that paragon of family life and normalcy, Joan Crawford. Joan has, at this point, been a Star for decades, and it shows. What planet does this woman live on? Well, one where all dresses have matching gloves specially made. And where one dresses to the nines to pose with indigenous peoples of other lands. Or should I say, bestow one's presence on the said peoples. The book picks up after she marries Pepsi magnate Alfred Steele, a time when her caree...more
Beth
An absolute hoot from start to finish. Best read while imagining Joan herself doing the narration.
Emily
Archaic, amazing, and awesome. This was a fun read.
Shelley
Feb 05, 2008 Shelley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Joan
If you've ever asked yourself the question 'What Would Joan Do?' then this is the book for you! This fascinating read contains tips from Joan on everything from parenting to cleaning and everything in between. No, you're not dreaming - it's real...and it's fabulous! Find a used copy on ebay or amazon (it's out of print) you won't be sorry!
Phyllis
A timeless classic in the crazy celebrity writes unselfconsciously crazy book about their crazy life genre. Carpet scooting calisthenics, a German maid named Mamacita, wilted spinach and bacon salads, and gallons and gallons of Pepsi are featured in this amazing book that will take you on an emotional journey of a thousand miles.
Brian
Joan Crawford dictated these 200+ pages of her ridiculous stream of consciousness to a secretary. More a book of manners than an autobiography, Joan's advice is perfect for aging, masochistic debutantes the world over.
Brian
I was expecting a good laugh from the other reviews and got just that. This book is an interesting peek into the world of Joan Crawford and in a way make Christina Crawford's Mommie Dearest seem pretty valid.
Christopher
Nov 20, 2007 Christopher rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lunatics
This book is every bit as unsettling as you may think. I found this book for free and it was worth at least twice that!
Christine Grant
How can you not love a book by Joan on how life should be lived. If only we all followed her rules.
Kris Kendrick
Typical Joan, here. The detail is crazy. Photography is all Hollywood, all the time.
Dave
LOVED it!!! I learned how to pack for travel thanks to Saint Joan!
Jeff Allen
Fantastically funny, but not on purpose. I loved this book
Ericka Bailie-Byrne
Just flat out crazypants amazing.
Diron Jefferson hunt
Diron Jefferson hunt marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Joan Crawford (born Lucille Fay LeSueur) was an Academy Award-winning American actress. Crawford is named as the tenth Greatest Female Star of All Time by the American Film Institute.

Starting as a dancer on Broadway, Crawford was signed to a motion picture contract by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in 1925 and played small parts. By the end of the '20s she became a famous flapper. Beginning in the 19...more
More about Joan Crawford...
A Portrait of Joan Odd Odes, Weird Words and Loopy Letters Joan Crawford Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood Grande Hotel (Folhas Clássicos do Cinema,7)

“I need sex for a clear complexion, but I'd rather do it for love.” 37 likes