Start by marking “Nam Sense” as Want to Read:
Nam Sense

Nam Sense

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Nam Sense is the memoir of a combat squad leader in the 101st Airborne Division. This book offers a perfect blend of candour and humour - and it spares nothing and no one in its attempt to convey what really happened during this unpopular war.
Published June 1st 2009 by Casemate Publishers and Book Distributors (first published July 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nam Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nam Sense

John Podlaski
Arthur Wiknik's story touched upon many of the memories I have about my own tour as a grunt in Vietnam. I do recall that after Basic Training and AIT, many of us sought out additional training in order to delay our deployment to Vietnam; Arthur coins it best, "...maybe the war will be over after all this training and I won't have to go." Many of us draftees signed up for Leadership Preparation Course, NCO (Shake 'n Bake) training, and jump school to shorten the potential time left in the militar ...more
Steve Woods
This is an account of one man's tour between 1969 and 1970 with the 101st Airborne Division. Ostensibly one of America's elite main force infantry units. I can only take what is described here as an accurate account and it certainly accords with some other accounts I have read and with my own observations of some American military units on my own tour in Vietnam during the same period. It is not a very flattering picture. These men display appalling field discipline and poor morale. They cast of ...more
John
Good memoir, but mostly written because he has a bone to pick with others. The title's also misleading, since he served with the 101 but never did jump school. A fast read.

After further reflection– perspective shows nested layers of conflict in war (between home front and soldiers, between soldiers and their leaders, between soldiers and Vietnamese (civilian and military, both north and south), etc. Still probably won't re-read.
Kevin O'Reilly
Pretty good inside look at what the real Vietnam war was like, although the author is a bit of a wiseass. But the situations and internal conflicts ring true, even for me who spent the war in Georgia. I didn't understand how he could become a "screaming eagle" without jump school, but I guess they really needed 90 day wonders back then.

All in all a good read; and the photos inside are great.
Michael Flanagan
Not a bad Memoirs certainley kept me interested. A bit short in combat for my liking for this type of book.
Debbie Joygood
Debbie Joygood marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Tarra
Tarra added it
Nov 20, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Arthur Wiknik, Jr. served in Vietnam with Company A 2/506th of the 101st Airborne Division as an infantry squad leader from April 1969 to March 1970. He was one of the first in his unit to safely reach the top of Hamburger Hill during the final assault. A few months later, he prevented a possible attack on a remote firebase by discovering a nearby enemy weapons cache.

Proud of his military service
More about Arthur Wiknik Jr....