Start by marking “The Tanglewood Terror” as Want to Read:
The Tanglewood Terror

The Tanglewood Terror

When 13-year-old Eric Parrish comes across glowing mushrooms in the woods behind his house, he's sure there's a scientific explanation. But when they start encroaching on the town—covering the football field and popping up from beneath the floorboards—Eric knows something's seriously wrong. Not that much else is going right: his parents are fighting, his little brother Bri ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Tanglewood Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tanglewood Terror

Laurel
Mar 16, 2011 Laurel rated it it was amazing
First chapter is near-perfect. Loving this book. Will have more to say later.
Heather
I liked the underlying premise, and the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Keatston, and (of course!) the very creepy mushrooms. I also really liked the characters - the children, Cassie the pig, and crazy-acting old lady Howard. I spent a lot of the middle portion of the book being frustrated that no one but these few kids seemed to realize that the mushroom were more than an unwelcome development, though. On the other hand, I love how things wrapped up, particularly everything that happe ...more
Adrian Valle
Sep 28, 2015 Adrian Valle rated it liked it
Eric was in the back of their house in the woods they were normal eating suddenly they heard that their parents were fighting because of Eric over a pig.
This book is fiction it is a made up story. The author knew this book was a mystery. There was something wrong in the town something happened back then.
Eric couldn't find a way then he found a very old mystery that they saved the town. the conflict of this story is person vs nature.The theme of the story is Eric was imagining real life thing
Cecilia
Jun 14, 2012 Cecilia rated it really liked it
Jodi
Jul 18, 2011 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read
What I like so much about reading Kurtis Scaletta’s novels for middle-grade readers is that he manages to make me feel both young and old at the same time, and not old in the woe-is-me way but in the wow I’m a responsible grown up way.

In The Tanglewood Terror strange, glowing mushrooms have started to grow in the woods behind Eric Parrish’s house. At first Eric kind of brushes off the phenomenon. He’s got other things on his mind, the big championship football game; his distracted, on the brink
Brandy
First: very easy comparison to Jerry Spinelli's Crash, in re: a bully who doesn't entirely realize he's a bully, or what consequences his actions have on his usual target.

Second: strong science fiction that isn't (exactly) speculative--this is grounded in actual science. Or at least it seems like it is, anyway; I'm no mycologist myself.

Third: there's so much going on here that could overshadow parts of the plot, but it all works in perfect balance: Eric's parents are headed for divorce and it's
Mary
Sep 13, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
I won The Tanglewood Terror from First Reads. I look forward to reading it now that its arrived. I plan on giving this one to one of my nephews.

The book is a nice hardcover with a dust jacket that relates nicely to the content. The author kindly signed this book to my nephew and I appreciated it. Though his handwriting is awful. :D It's a good thing he doesn't release his books that way.

I got to the eighth chapter in the first sitting. So far, I'm enjoying this book. It's well written and inte
Linda
Jun 16, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read for middle grade kids. My boys would have loved this back when they were that age.
But it's great for girls too. It's a rare book that can go both ways. This one has a strong lead male character AND a strong lead female character. Great stuff.
PLUS there's a bit of a literary mystery, which is always delightful, AND there's that parent-y stuff that people look for in books for their kids, but that kids stay away from like it was nuclear waste: science and history. Done so
Becky Savoie
Feb 03, 2014 Becky Savoie rated it it was amazing
This one was interesting and different. Mysterious glowing mushrooms taking over a small town, and a family on the brink of collapse. Have to say while I loved the characters, by the end I was still wishing someone would just up and punch dad in the face!!! I guess they don't do that much in middle grades...
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
So, this book is not the sci-fi that I expected. Instead, it's a mystery tied into ecology and history, mixed with family dynamics, bullying, and keeping secrets. Not what I though, but still a great read. Glad the cover led me astray.
Karen
May 12, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My first ARC book. It's an engaging story that will keep you guessing. Will the mushrooms take over the town or will Eric figure out how to triumph over them?
Put Tanglewood Terror on your to read shelf.
Tiffany
Nov 16, 2012 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
The best of Scaletta's books. Fun to see him grow as a writer through his three books. I think I'm just not a big fan of first person for middle grade. It's hard to get any depth when the narrator is twelve.
Rose
Jan 08, 2012 Rose added it
Fun book about a seventh grade boy named Eric trying to stop really creepy mushrooms from taking over the town. (A fictional similarity to the very real honey mushrooms—urk!)
Penny
Sep 27, 2011 Penny rated it it was amazing
Lots of things to like about this book, but my favorite part is the presence of a strong, smart, important girl character in a book that's still highly appealing to boys.
Heidi
Apr 14, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I couldn't put it down all day... Several great themes running through the book, but mostly just a good, engaging story!
Chanda Starr
Sep 22, 2011 Chanda Starr rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is a simple, fun, mysterious story that I think would really appeal to a younger reader. I have a 5th grader that I am looking forward to passing the book on to.
Connie Anderson
Connie Anderson rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Bhargav Rao
Bhargav Rao rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Gwyneth Brown
Gwyneth Brown rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Brandon Terrell
Brandon Terrell rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2011
anime
anime rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Cameron
Cameron rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Raylee
Raylee rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Amanda Coppedge
Amanda Coppedge rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2011
Kassie
Kassie rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2011
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2012
Re
Re rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2011
Mabel
Mabel rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Roy
Roy rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Natalie rees
Natalie rees rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • Jeremy Bender vs. the Cupcake Cadets
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Carter's Unfocused, One-Track Mind (Carter Finally Gets It, #3)
  • Never After
  • Strike Three, You're Dead (Lenny & the Mikes, #1)
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Trapped Nerves
  • The Devil's Sword
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • Desire Lines
  • Haunting Miss Trentwood
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)
  • Staccato (Steven Hawk & Inola Walela, #1)
Kurtis Scaletta is the author of several books for young readers including Mudville, which was short listed for the Mark Twain Readers Award, and The Tanglewood Terror, which was a finalist for the Minnesota Book Award. He lives in Minneapolis with wife and son and some cats.
More about Kurtis Scaletta...