Start by marking “Green Lantern and Philosophy: No Evil Shall Escape This Book” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern and Philosophy: No Evil Shall Escape This Book

Green Lantern and Philosophy: No Evil Shall Escape This Book (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #24)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The first look at the philosophy behind the Green Lantern comics--timed for the release of the "Green Lantern" movie in June 2011The most recent Green Lantern series--"Blackest Night"--propelled GL to be the top-selling comic series for more than a year, the latest twist in seven decades of Green Lantern adventures. This book sheds light on the deep philosophical issues th ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern and Philosophy

Don Incognito
I saw this in a college bookstore, and groaned. Fanboy foolishness often makes me laugh, but this example is not funny. Comics books being studied in all seriousness for philosophy lessons suggests contemporary philosophy is exhausted; but since intellectual fashion craves the new and won't go backwards, philosophy descends into pop culture. Sad. More generally, so is the thought of comic books being taken too seriously.
The last line of this book's blurb was jaw-droppingly campy, but that kind o
PsypherPunk
I suppose it's only to be expected that something in a series titled the "Philosophy and Pop Culture Series" might rely a little heavily on the latter. Sure, it's filled with background on the titular characters and allegories-a-go-go but actual philosophy seems thin on the ground.

Not to say that it's without any merit: ignoring the overly detailed recitation of the Green Lanterns' history, both fictional and publishing, the historical references to philosophers past is definitely of interest (t
Jake
This was a very interesting read. The writers of this book treat the comic characters like they're real people as they get into the science of how the brain works and the reasons why a Green Lantern chooses to do things, instead of just saying that the comic writers had some cool ideas for a story. For example, the issue is brought up of Lanterns constantly creating constructs of giant fists or boxing gloves to beat up a bad guy instead of creating something else. They excuse the idea that comic ...more
Phil Bova
An avid fan of Green Lantern, Mark White excels at combining philosophical thought with fictional characters. More importantly, after reading this gem...I looked at Green Lantern and the Corps altogether differently.
Wonderful and insightful book.
Samantha
A basic look at the Green Lantern series and various philosophy concepts. It was entertaining during some parts, dry and dragging along in others. I recommend this book to fans of the comic series, especially new readers, as it provides a good bit of information on the universe in it. It's not a GREAT book by any means, but I didn't exactly waste my time with it either. It's a fun, nerdy read.
Allison
I really didn't understand this book, I think it was meant for an older audience but I liked the parts I understood, and the quotes in the book, not to mention I love Hal Jordan and Abin Sur and John Stewart!!!
Melvin Patterson
As with the other books in this series that I've read, this was enjoyable, light reading. Trying to fit a school of philosophy into a fictional universe is a fun romp.
Kimberly Kuntz
Kimberly Kuntz marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Farouk Adil
Farouk Adil marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Jessica Thurston
Jessica Thurston marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Rachel Pelham
Rachel Pelham marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
John Dubose
John Dubose marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Virginia Cannon
Virginia Cannon marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Meghan Green
Meghan Green marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ilea Diaz
Ilea Diaz marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Josh Knoll
Josh Knoll marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Karen Reyes
Karen Reyes marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Kalpana Dhakal
Kalpana Dhakal marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Brock Wappes
Brock Wappes marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Everett Lathrop
Everett Lathrop marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today