Start by marking “The Count of Monte Cristo Volume 1 of 2 (The Count of Monte Cristo, part 1 of 2)” as Want to Read:

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,725 ratings  ·  96 reviews
An English translation of one of Dumas' most popular historical novels which was completed in the original French in 1844.
Published December 6th 2010 by Echo Library

To ask other readers questions about The Count of Monte Cristo Volume 1 of 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Count of Monte Cristo Volume 1 of 2

I read this in high school, in the original French, because we had to, but I liked it so much I also read it in English. Even without the movie (5 stars, but different), the story stuck with me...all the bitter angst! His poor heart, so afraid to trust again, so tormented by rage and vengeance.

As a young adult on the cusp of a good career at sea, Dantès goes to prison for life, in the dungeons of the Chateau d'If, framed and betrayed by his jealous "friends" and sentenced by a self-interested ma
Erin Webb
I read this book in high school and absolutely loved it! It was emblazoned in my mind as one of my favorite books ever! It's funny because then I saw the movie a few times over the last few years and knew that so much was changed from the book. As I went back to the book over the past few weeks, I realized my mind had totally adopted the "movie" version of this amazing story. What a bummer! I'm so glad I re-read this classic! There's so much more to the story! It's truly an amazing book and a st ...more
It has been while since I reread "The Count of Monte Cristo," but when someone forces me to tell them what my favorite book is, I usually answer with this one.

There's something about this book that draws me in every time I reread it. Dumas' characters in this novel (especially the lead character) are intricate and multifaceted. I found myself sympathizing heavily with the lead character (come on, we all know good people who get screwed everyday) because not only does he suffer a monumental wrong
I would call this one a strange mix of soap opera and philosophical. It is very entertaining to read, I certainly see why Dumas' works has such an appeal for the movie industry. I've read somewhere that around 200 movies are based on his works. He is a writer that is very good with plots, subplots and things like that. If the story does not always sound completely credible, he does have a way of making it sound plausible- or at least fun to read.

I started reading The Count of Monte Christo a lo
Wow. This book was incredible. I don't even know how much I'll have to say, especially since I've been reading it for ages was something like 46+ hours of audiobook. But read SO AMAZINGLY WELL (yay John Lee...I'd definitely listen to more of his work anytime). And the story I adore Dumas - he really knows how to spin a yarn. He writes beautifully, and you can picture every single thing with your mind's eye. And the stories he's just unbelievable. How things all ...more
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Mi accosto sempre con molta prudenza nel recensire un grande classico che ha duecento anni, perchè decisamente quello che c'è d'importante e significativo di questa opera è stato sicuramente esposto in mille e più modi; dunque si rischia di cadere nel già detto e risulta a chi legge la recensione che nulla si porti di nuovo. Allora esporrò quelle che sono le mie sensazioni e i mei pensieri derivati dalla lettura di questo libro: la storia è bellissima, i personaggi meravigliosi, lo scenario e l' ...more
I really enjoyed this book! Some parts were a little long-winded, but I loved the detail in Edmond's revenge against all those who had wronged him unjustly. There were some things that, hold your breath and wait for it, I wished were more like the movie **shocking intake of breath**, but overall I was very pleased and surprised that it has taken me until my present age now to read this book.
By far, one of the most wonderful books I have ever read in my life. My husband described it as the perfect revenge story, but this story is about so much more than revenge. It is about being an instrument of God, and how far Edmund believes he can carry out the punishments and rewards with which he believes God has tasked him. The rich details of the narrative and the complex manuvers of the plot keep you rivited to this long tome. I was so sad when the story was over, I wanted to know more abo ...more
I've always wanted to read this book, it intrigued me for a long time. I'm glad that I finally got to it. It feels almost like an accomplishment to have read it. I enjoyed it a lot.

It is a massive book, but it isn't tedious to read. It's divided in a lot of short chapters and the language is surprisingly accessible, considering the period in which it was written. The author's remarks made me smile a few times.

This book is obviously about revenge, but it made me think more about the theme of cont
Matteo Pellegrini

“Il Conte di Montecristo” è considerato l’esordio letterario dello scrittore Alexandre Dumas, inizialmente pubblicato a puntate su una rivista della metà dell’Ottocento, fu da subito considerato un libro originale sia per la storia che per lo stile utilizzato.

“Il Conte di Montecristo” è un intreccio di storie che raccontano le azioni di uomini che inizialmente sembrano non essere collegati tra loro, ma che invece s’intrecciano con lo scorrere del romanzo.

Il libro “Il conte di Montecri

Dec 12, 2012 Misha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Misha Shtapov
Mr. Pollock
English 9-3
12 December 2012
Dumas, Alexandre. The Count of Monte Cristo.New York: Barnes and Noble Classics, 2004, print.
I am an adventurer, and I like reading about it also. The book The Count of Monte Cristo is about a young French sailor named Edmond Dantes, who gets arrested on his wedding. He doesn't know why, but is told that he will be released as soon as possible. Months pass since he was promised to get let out and he begins to plan his escape. As he digs his way
Kimberly Smith
It is fun to read books written a while back because writing styles were so different than they are now. This book is quite different than the movie (I absolutely love the movie!), and it was a little unexpected. Although, I've read enough books that were later made into movies and I shouldn't have been surprised. It seems the movies always differ from the books... sometimes hugely so. I really liked how Dumas wrote as if to an intellegent reader. There were subplots in the story, or certain cha ...more
Jake N
This novel is a story of a young sailor named Edmond Dantes who works for the company Morell and Son. Edmond was about to become the captain of one of the company’s ships and marry the love of his life Mercedes. jeoulousy and greed gets him framed so he’s thrown in jail. He meets a priest who then teaches him to escape regain his honor and where a great fortune is. 15 years later he gets out of jail and is rescued by a band of pirates where he is a pirate for a few years until luck strikes Edmon ...more
Sitting down to read this book gave me that sensation of euphoria that I get when opening a steamy bag of popcorn or when about to munch on home made cookies; it is engaging, addictive, well-written, and philosophical. It's is relatable, despite it's age, and will go down as one of the best books I have read. A classic and a must read.
Read this in high school and actually liked it. It's been on my list of re-reads. I'm getting to it now because my 7th graders has to read it for her honors lit class. I definitely have reservations about a 7th grader trying to understand this book. She is needing my help. So here we it my best shot. I feel like I'm in school again, and I think it would be more enjoyable if we could read it at our leisure and not "have" to read it and answer questions about every chapter. YUCK!!

I reread this classic of Alexandre Dumas(father)and remember why it is a must-read for me but not one of my beloved classics. Melodrama at his best for sure and I believe from the great promoter of it, himself. The plot misses factual strenght at many occasions (too many coincidences, overiding to many odds)and it is too descriptive, with emotionally overwritten characters. It reads like a script, showing the passion of Dumas for the theatre and making it so easily to be translated into the big ...more
Rita Dumais
I am very proud of myself for finishing this book! It only took like 2 months. It was very exciting, and surpringly easy to read. I'm the kind of person who gets a little intimidated by reading classics, but this one was accessable.
Nicolas Ronvel
J'en ai mis du temps, mais j'en suis venu à bout. Du premier volume, en tout cas. Qu'en ai-je pensé ?

C'est du tout bon. L'histoire est trépidante, et lance des pistes dans tous les sens. Les révélations pleuvent sur les liens entre les personnages, à certains moments, et l'on a hâte de savoir ce que le Comte réserve à chacun.

Il y a bien sûr des bémols, car tout le monde connait tout le monde, et le Comte semble vraiment disposer de pouvoirs et de connaissances démesurés. Mais cela fait partie d
This book was amazing! Dumas starts off with a "perfect," almost to the point of being superficial, protagonist named Edmund Dantes. Throughout the book we see the qualities of Dantes highlighted through trials against him as well as his "rebirth" into a different life, personality, and purpose. Dumas writes this book from a third person, and at some times an omniscient, point of view. With the use of powerful vocabulary as well as skillful literary devices, the author invokes the attention of r ...more
Mike Arater
I though this book was excellent, The betrayal of a friend, count mondego and to loose everything for 16 years. especially his wife Mercedes to the one man that betrayed him kinda hits home. including the need for vengeance. This was a great book for its time. Don Tess gets his vengeance and learns that his love out weighed his hate.

Best Quote "" Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do wh
Jessamy Besson-Jones
Having finished the count of Monte cristo I feel like I've run a marathon and lost a friend. What a story of love, revenge, history and fate - the humour throughout sustained my interest in the characters through an incredibly long read! Would recommend, but only if you're prepared to stick it out and reach the dramatic conclusion.
I have to admit that I absolutly loved loved loved this book. It might possibly be one of my favorite books ever written.After I got the feel of the language I couldnt stop turning the pages. The way the author expresses the anger and revenge of Dantes and the details of his plotting and action make this an extremely engrossing read. It was Deliciously Scandalizing, It contains a perfect dose of Revenge, Murder, Romance, and lots and lots of money!! But it was also at times quite tender and I f ...more
George Loch
I love this book. It is masterfully crafted story-telling. I enjoyed the language of the book and I also enjoyed the fact that the main character had far less vengeance in his heart but to serve justice and mercy as he felt God required. In the end, the character's own weaknesses became their own downfall as it is with all of us if we allow ourselves to become to comfortable with out faults.

Just finished reading again. I found even more delight in it. A masterful and thoughtful work.
Jordan Sasek
This book threw my precognition of the story shown on the silver screen for a loop and had me going back to make sure I hadn't messed up the story plot. The book is entirely different from the adaptation to film in parts. After reading the book I've come to appreciate Alexander Dumas as a writer. His plots and sub-plots weave together finely to make a great story. I look forward to reading some of his other works that have been adapted into film, over 200*. Loads and loads to choose from.
I thought it started off good, not slow. It had my attention for awhile, but some of the character's names changed and new ones were added - lost me. I had to use spark notes to keep up with who's who. I know it was a book avenging those that had done Edmond Dante wrong, of which were well executed. But, there was one instance where it might have gone a little too far. If your willing to give a classic a try, not into instant gratification - this is a good one to try. It's a very long book.
We read this in our Sunset Book Group, and it was a beast. But I must have had a time where I could put in the time, and it was so, so worth it. I was especially touched by the prison scenes. That is where a man learns what he is made of. The old priest that he met there, is how I hope to become when I am old and wise and wonderful! The recent movie was great, and I loved the ending, the book doesn't end so romantically!
John Hawklyn
A classic tale of romance, perseverence and vengeance. At the end of my first reading of the count I was delightedly dismayed that the version I had read was an abridged version. I sought out and found an unabridged version at the local library. Great book!

Re-reading as an adult, I find the book loses some of its luster, as the characters seem a bit more immature. Hmm. Funny how perspective does that...
Revisiting a classic reminds one of why it is a classic, with new subtleties and unremembered character interplays showing up with each reading. What is good or evil? Is revenge justified, or wrong? Did the legal system really fail, if considered objectively? Great characterization, with an insider view of Paris society and the penal system of the times. This one was well worth another look.
I loved the book and am looking forward to watching the movie, I haven't seen it in years. I struggled with the idea that God gave him the right and the means to avenge the wrong that was done to him, especially when innocent people die because of him seeking revenge. The Count was a little too much for me - it made me feel like Dumas made him a Savior and that was a little too much for me.
Jason Logue
This started and ended very strong, but I thought it meandered in the middle. Also, I didn't expect it to feel so long. You really need a chart of characters in order to keep track of everyone. Thankfully, Wikipedia has a chart on characters and their relations. Overall, prepare for a long book that is much more about relationships, revenge, forgiveness and redemption.
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • O Arquipélago da Insónia
  • Лезвие бритвы: Роман приключений
  • Fanny Owen (Colecção Mil Folhas, #31)
  • Guerra e Paz – Livro II
  • Só
  • Casanova's Return to Venice
  • Un roi sans divertissement
  • Mar - Antologia
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • Чингиз-хан (Нашествие монголов, #1)
  • The Black Robe
  • La Chatte
  • Il sergente nella neve
  • Novos Contos da Montanha
  • A Short History of the 20th Century
  • Le Déchronologue
  • Roșu si Negru #1
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...
The Count of Monte Cristo The Three Musketeers The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3) Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2)

“Abbe Faria: Here is your final lesson - do not commit the crime for which you now serve the sentence. God said, Vengeance is mine.
Edmond Dantes: I don't believe in God.
Abbe Faria: It doesn't matter. He believes in you. ”