Start by marking “Time to Eat” as Want to Read:
Time to Eat

Time to Eat

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  47 reviews
It’s time to eat! Which animals eat bamboo, can gulp down a whole deer, or swallow rocks to help them eat?
Published March 28th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Time to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Eat

Time to Eat by Steve Jenkins, illustrated by Robin Page tells what & how different animals collect, store and eat.

The foods vary from bamboo shoots, live animal blood, live worms, tree stored acorns, nuts and seeds, impaled insects, living paralyzed insects, mucus & bug covered skin, swallowed whole prey, rock grinded plants, dung balls, regurgitated fish, orchid nectar, beetles in dead trees, anything, nibbled new foods and whale milk.

The text is of varying sizes. Three final pages giv
Jenkins and Page continue their collaboration with a new series of nature books for young children. The other two books in the series are Time for a Bath (coming in May) and Time to Sleep (just released). In this book, readers learn about the many strange and different things that animals eat. From the rocks that an ostrich has to eat to chew its food to the tapping thin fingers of an aye-aye looking for lunch, the facts are fascinating.

Those facts are paired with Jenkins’ illustrations done in
Cemeread for my review of Time to Sleep in the same series. The books are set up in the same format. The artwork was created in the same way, of similar quality.
Sarah Adamson
An interesting basic book on some animals with slightly more exotic eating habits or tastes. Will grab some kids attention but may scare others! Useful, and clear with accurate illustrations.
I picked this up for my son as I thought it might be a simpler nonfiction Steve Jenkins book that he could listen to now. I had previously gotten the book "Actual Size" but it's a bit too advanced for him. Sadly, there is still a lot of text in it, and I would say he would need to wait about 4 yrs before he could really enjoy it and have the attention span to sit down and read it. It is a cute book with Jenkins' trademark cut-paper illustrations, which I love so much. It tells little stories abo ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Time to Eat explores the eating habits of some unusual animals from the panda to the blue whale. We find out what, how, and when they eat.

What I thought: I'm becoming quite a fan of Steve Jenkins and Robin Page. When I see their names in a review, the book goes on my order list. Time to Eat is the perfect blend of facts and pictures. It is simple enough to appeal to preschoolers but informative enough so that elementary and middle school students could use it for research. I love the illustrati
I love Steve Jenkins' work and have enjoyed all of his collaborations with his wife, Robin Page, that I have read so far. This one (as you can guess from the title) deals with how animals eat and what animals eat...especially some of the strange or unique ways/things animals eat. Both girls and boys in my class enjoyed this...equally fascinated and grossed out by animals such as the crucifix toad which has sticky skin. Bugs stick to it and then it sheds...eating its own skin along with the bugs ...more
This is another fantastically illustrated picture book for children by Steven Jenkins. Time to Eat describes the dietary habits of several different species of animals; frogs are by far the most disgusting creature ever! Kids will love this informative read and elementary teachers can easily use this as additional science curriculum.
This is a fascinating non-fiction book about interesting ways in which some in the animal kingdom obtain, store, even digest some of their food. Steve Jenkins always comes through with great information and this is no exception. Have you hear of the butcherbird who spears the grasshoppers on tree thorns, then sets about to eat his prey, rather like using a fork? The illustrations are realistic, greys, black and white with a bit of coloring.
Teresa Garrett
Steve Jenkins does it again. Another kid friendly book this one about weird eating habits of some animals. Some are common while some are rare. Great pictures with bite sized information just the right amount for most kids to absorb. I like the small size of the book making it easy for kids to handle. As usual with most of Jenkin's books there is additional information about each animal in the back.
Love jenkins illustrations, which are so tactile and refined though they're done with torn paper. The tidbits about animals' eating eccentricities are perfect for capturing a child's attention - equally disgusting and fascinating (especially the butcherbird and the cruxifix toad - yuck - as the first skewers bugs on thorns, and the later traps bugs on its sticky skin, then sheds the skin and downs it!).
Of course, if it's nonfiction written by Steve Jenkins, it's bound to be good. This one collects really interesting facts about what animals eats and presents them in short passages that would serve as excellent mentor texts for paragraph development as well as for thinking about what information to include and what to leave out.
Judy Desetti
Loved this one as much or better than Time to Sleep also by Jenkins.

Wonderful illustrations and fabulous information. I think kids will be riveted.

Time to Sleep by Steve Jenkins
I love the paper collage illustrations characteristic of Steve Jenkins. Time to Eat gives little known and fascinating facts about how many animals eat, including: ticks may wait years for a meal, but then it consumes as much as 100 times its own weight in blood. Fascinating!
Good good good!!! My girls were thorougly captivated by the crucifix toad, who catches insects on its sticky skin, then sheds and eats its skin, bugs and all. . . This author has found himself a unique niche. . . informational children's nonfiction that is ENTERTAINING!
Another great book in the series on animals that answers one essential question about a variety of animals. It was all very well done and the other two books are just as well written. I really enjoyed the whole series. It'd be great if there were others as well.
This is an excellent book on animals and what they eat! I learned so much from this book! The illustrations are captivating and the information is awesome! Many not so familiar animals are featured in this book and that's what made it so interesting for me.
Jenkins excels again with a book about animals eating habits. Of course, the dung beetle is the hit of the title but my early elementary audience enjoyed the entire book. Not a readaloud (storytime)--unless used in classroom setting that allows for discussion.
This book and the 2 others, Time to Sleep, and Time for a Bath are perfect non-fiction read alouds. Great vocabulary too! Just right for introducing adaptation in a way young readers and listeners can understand and relate too. Don't you just love the Dung Beetle?
Didn't love the layout or design of the text in this, but it had some interesting facts, and I can see the appeal for young readers. Not fantastic for being widely accessible. Loved the extra facts in the last couple pages on each animal in the book.
Audience: K-3rd Grade, Animal Enthusiasts

Appeal: Interesting facts about 17 different animals. Illustrations are made of textured papers which make them very interesting to look at.

Award: California's Reading Association Eureka! 2011- Silver Honor Book
Beth Butler
This book is really interesting to adults and children. It is fun to learn about all the different weird things creatures eat. The favorite of the kids of course was the dung beetle. The illustrations are well done with paper cutouts.
Another must have by this husband and wife team. Regular book text is easy enough for less able readers ... and the more detailed info in the back will satisfy older curious kids.

And still LOVE the collage illustrations!
Ms. Chapman
A great non-fiction read for primary grades. Short little bits of information to spark curiosity in some interesting animals! My grade 1 class really enjoyed it. Steve Jenkins has many awesome & engaging non-fiction reads!
Interesting book about what different animals eat- full of interesting information and illustrations. Would actually be great for my middle school classroom.
Makes me want to read Time to Sleep and Time for a Bath
600 milkshakes! and that bit about the Crucifix Toad... ugh! Loved this.
Delightfully yucky factoids about animals eating. Did you know the crucifix toad sticks flies to mucus on its body, then later shucks off its skin and eats it, flies and all?
Picture Book 19
The artwork in this book is amazing. The facts are pretty straightforward and they are kind of funny. The Blue Whales were my favorite to read about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Lizards
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Curious Critters
  • Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature
  • America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell
What Do You Do With a Tail Like This? Actual Size The Beetle Book Bones: Skeletons and How They Work Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea