Start by marking “Search Patterns: Design for Discovery” as Want to Read:
Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

What people are saying about "Search Patterns"

""Search Patterns" is a delight to read -- very thoughtful and thought provoking. It's the most comprehensive survey of designing effective search experiences I've seen." --Irene Au, Director of User Experience, Google

"I love this book! Thanks to Peter and Jeffery, I now know that search (yes, boring old yucky who cares search)
Published May 20th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Search Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search Patterns

Emily
Jun 23, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A concise book on search patterns, with lots of well-chosen illustrations. I liked the way the authors show how search blends into everything we do online, and they certainly give plenty of credit to librarians (a nice touch). There are a few diagrams that seemed nonsensical and jargony (or at least unilluminating) but on the whole the authors get some big points across clearly and quickly. Whether this will actually be applicable for me remains to be seen--how easy would my life be if I were pr ...more
Szymon
The future isn’t just unwritten—it’s unsearched
Tomas
Jan 16, 2017 Tomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm really confused by this book. I've expected professional book full of search patterns but I've got inconsistent mix of patterns and fairytales. Sometimes it goes straight to the point, sometimes it describes things so generally that you read 2 pages and still don't know what it wants to tell you. It starts with comix narrative but it disappears somewhere and gets back at the end.
Graham Herrli
This book's excess of rhetorical mumbo-jumbo belies its valuable message that search is being (and should continue to be) reinvented to move beyond the constraints of the conventional search box.

For example, when reading it I had the idea of combining a search box with a social network...a phone-a-friend-like concept, where each person has tags of personal knowledge and the search suggests sending a message. (A hundred pages later, I discovered that such a search already exists as Aardvark.)

You
Giuseppe Pizzimenti
This book makes a good job in cataloguing and exploring a wide range of search applications - from the most notorious generalistic search engines to some peculiar, more specialistic,services - , and above all , in expliciting the human behaviours that trigger the search and the approval (or disapproval!) of results by the users.

At the same time, the authors try to give a perspective to the future of search, from the starting point of the actual, most evoluted implementations, such some of the ne
George Grigalashvili
Pretty much impressed and will read it few more times again!

EXPERIENCE DISCOVERY:
"The Coming Age of Magic" by Mike Kuniavsky:

"I mean enchanted objects. What I'm proposing is a metaphorical relationship between magic and portable, network-aware, information processing objects that is analogous to the relationship between office supplies and computer screens in the desktop metaphor. I am explicitly not advocating pretending that technology is a kind of magic or lying about how technology works, b
DWRL Library
Dec 10, 2010 DWRL Library rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a general introduction to the theory and practice of online search capabilities, this book covers the why, how and what’s what of search functions and interfaces in a cross-disciplinary way, including examples of search patterns for inspiration and analysis. Those interested in learning or teaching online research methods or information architecture might find this a good place to start for insight how search functions influence how people see, navigate and interact with digital texts.
Amy
Jun 19, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design
Morville provides a poetic overview of discovery tools that are implemented today and offers a couple thought-provoking scenarios of search in the future. The chapter on "engines of discovery" was a huge let down though, being almost an extension of a previous chapter with some random specific implementations Morville decided to toss in. Aside from that, a very good read if one is considering different methods of search.
Sibyl
Mar 20, 2013 Sibyl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty engaging overall. Some of the writing was a little distracting - too much flair which detracted from the substance rather than added to it. There were also lots of references, especially in analogies, to things that aren't necessarily common knowledge. I did appreciate how the tone was inspiring rather than simply factual. You can tell the authors are passionate on the subject.
Alexander Debkaliuk
Just like the title suggests, this book is a collection of patterns. Authors give little practical advice on when to use this or that one, sticking with basic descriptions and musings on what's possible search-wise in the future.
Adam
Jul 26, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction. Many things will be familiar, though you might not have a name for them until he gives you one. It's not earth-shattering stuff but it is a great place to start if you're designing something.
Caroline Gordon
Mar 05, 2012 Caroline Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book about design of search user interfaces and offers many different patterns and ideas to use. It is probably more useful for UI designers but as we are all using so many search interfaces every day it is interesting to read more about them and where they may be going in the future.
Darin Stewart
Nov 23, 2010 Darin Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice introduction and overview of the general issues and challenges of search. Not a deep read in any sense, but a good launching pad to explore the challenges of findability.
Erica
As it looks now I'll never have the time nor need to read it, but I might find it useful later if my work takes me there!
Erin
Jan 11, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This will aid my lifelong dream of becoming a "user experience" worker for Google. This is all about design, interface, technology, and researching. Pure genius, simply pure genius.
Dainius Jocas
Jun 12, 2015 Dainius Jocas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting stuff.

It would be great to read a bit more recent edition of this book. Because now examples (e.g. iPhone 3GS) seems a bit outdated.
Hunter Johnson
Jan 11, 2013 Hunter Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read and enjoyed Morville's "Ambient Findability". This was not quite as good for me; too much survey of the landscape in too short a work. But still one of my favorite topic spaces.
Kaja
Kaja rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Yvonne Doll
Yvonne Doll rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Sejal Kotak
Jul 29, 2013 Sejal Kotak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read on search patterns!
Maga Zandaqo
Maga Zandaqo rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2011
Dirk
Dirk rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Kumanan Murugesan
Wow. the search domain is just 10 years old. very interesting and easy read.
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Carl Grant
Carl Grant rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Ozgur Cem Sen
Ozgur Cem Sen rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2014
Daeeop Kim
Daeeop Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Sha
Sha rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2015
José Fernandes
José Fernandes rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Evgeny Godov
Evgeny Godov rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter Morville is a pioneer of the fields of information architecture and user experience. He advises such clients as AT&T, Cisco, Harvard, IBM, Macy's, the Library of Congress, and the National Cancer Institute. He has delivered conference keynotes in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. His work has been covered by Business Week, The Economist, NPR, and The Wall Street ...more
More about Peter Morville...