Start by marking “Search Patterns: Design for Discovery” as Want to Read:
Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  19 reviews
What people are saying about "Search Patterns"

""Search Patterns" is a delight to read -- very thoughtful and thought provoking. It's the most comprehensive survey of designing effective search experiences I've seen." --Irene Au, Director of User Experience, Google

"I love this book! Thanks to Peter and Jeffery, I now know that search (yes, boring old yucky who cares search)...more
Published May 20th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Search Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search Patterns

Emily
A concise book on search patterns, with lots of well-chosen illustrations. I liked the way the authors show how search blends into everything we do online, and they certainly give plenty of credit to librarians (a nice touch). There are a few diagrams that seemed nonsensical and jargony (or at least unilluminating) but on the whole the authors get some big points across clearly and quickly. Whether this will actually be applicable for me remains to be seen--how easy would my life be if I were pr...more
Graham Herrli
This book's excess of rhetorical mumbo-jumbo belies its valuable message that search is being (and should continue to be) reinvented to move beyond the constraints of the conventional search box.

For example, when reading it I had the idea of combining a search box with a social network...a phone-a-friend-like concept, where each person has tags of personal knowledge and the search suggests sending a message. (A hundred pages later, I discovered that such a search already exists as Aardvark.)

You...more
Giuseppe Pizzimenti
This book makes a good job in cataloguing and exploring a wide range of search applications - from the most notorious generalistic search engines to some peculiar, more specialistic,services - , and above all , in expliciting the human behaviours that trigger the search and the approval (or disapproval!) of results by the users.

At the same time, the authors try to give a perspective to the future of search, from the starting point of the actual, most evoluted implementations, such some of the ne...more
DWRL Library
As a general introduction to the theory and practice of online search capabilities, this book covers the why, how and what’s what of search functions and interfaces in a cross-disciplinary way, including examples of search patterns for inspiration and analysis. Those interested in learning or teaching online research methods or information architecture might find this a good place to start for insight how search functions influence how people see, navigate and interact with digital texts.
Amy
Morville provides a poetic overview of discovery tools that are implemented today and offers a couple thought-provoking scenarios of search in the future. The chapter on "engines of discovery" was a huge let down though, being almost an extension of a previous chapter with some random specific implementations Morville decided to toss in. Aside from that, a very good read if one is considering different methods of search.
Sibyl
Pretty engaging overall. Some of the writing was a little distracting - too much flair which detracted from the substance rather than added to it. There were also lots of references, especially in analogies, to things that aren't necessarily common knowledge. I did appreciate how the tone was inspiring rather than simply factual. You can tell the authors are passionate on the subject.
Caroline Gordon
Nice book about design of search user interfaces and offers many different patterns and ideas to use. It is probably more useful for UI designers but as we are all using so many search interfaces every day it is interesting to read more about them and where they may be going in the future.
Alexander Debkaliuk
Just like the title suggests, this book is a collection of patterns. Authors give little practical advice on when to use this or that one, sticking with basic descriptions and musings on what's possible search-wise in the future.
Adam
This is a great introduction. Many things will be familiar, though you might not have a name for them until he gives you one. It's not earth-shattering stuff but it is a great place to start if you're designing something.
Darin Stewart
A very nice introduction and overview of the general issues and challenges of search. Not a deep read in any sense, but a good launching pad to explore the challenges of findability.
Erin
This will aid my lifelong dream of becoming a "user experience" worker for Google. This is all about design, interface, technology, and researching. Pure genius, simply pure genius.
Hunter Johnson
I've read and enjoyed Morville's "Ambient Findability". This was not quite as good for me; too much survey of the landscape in too short a work. But still one of my favorite topic spaces.
Erica
Apr 03, 2011 Erica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
As it looks now I'll never have the time nor need to read it, but I might find it useful later if my work takes me there!
Marijka
A dense, fascinating look at search. It changed the way that I think about the search experience.
Laura Dawson
REALLY essential for anyone who wants to understand how search engines work.
Kumanan Murugesan
Wow. the search domain is just 10 years old. very interesting and easy read.
Lisa
Loved this book "We are the map makers" all about web search interfaces.
Sejal Kotak
Very easy read on search patterns!
Szymon
The future isn’t just unwritten—it’s unsearched
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Anirudh Shrinivas
Anirudh Shrinivas marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
May
May added it
Sep 16, 2014
Alicia
Alicia added it
Sep 09, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Syllas Bomfim
Syllas Bomfim marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 6 Feb 04, 2010 02:16PM
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Content Strategy for the Web (Voices That Matter)
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter Morville is a pioneer of the fields of information architecture and user experience. He advises such clients as AT&T, Cisco, Harvard, IBM, Macy's, the Library of Congress, and the National Cancer Institute. He has delivered conference keynotes in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. His work has been covered by Business Week, The Economist, NPR, and The Wall Street...more
More about Peter Morville...
Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites Search Patterns