Start by marking “Great Lion of God” as Want to Read:

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,051 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Paul of Tarsus faced a world like today's twenty centuries ago - and changed it.

The pious son of a rich Roman-Jewish family, Paul seemed destined for a peaceful bookish life. But he lived in a violent time, where new ideas were challenging old traditions.

His hatred of women, prompted by a fiery adolescent affair with a slave girl, was matched only by his loathing of the ea
Paperback, 2nd Impression, 669 pages
Published August 1976 by Fontana (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Great Lion of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Lion of God

American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoySmall Gods by Terry PratchettTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
God
109th out of 228 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurence
I didn't particularly appreciate Saint Paul or his writings until I read this book (unabridged). I am not a fan of historical fiction using real persons, but this one is credible and scripturally accurate. I delighted in Taylor's gift of the description (not everyone's cup of tea).
Chris Blocker
*This book review is largely about the author, and contains some opinion. Flag at your discretion.*

There's a good chance you've never heard of Taylor Caldwell. She was a popular author once upon a time, but then just “disappeared.” If you're a regular at book sales or used bookstores, you've probably come across her books before, but likely didn't pay them much attention. Before I get around to my review of Great Lion of God, I'd like to introduce Ms. Caldwell, and spend a few minutes discussing
LemonLinda
I have a great deal of respect for this book and this author. I wanted to read this one as I was so struck by how aptly Caldwell married the factual and fictional in the book about St. Luke, Dear and Glorious Physician and I really loved that book. Thus, it was logical to me that I would feel similarly about her book on Saul/Paul of Tarsus.

And I did get so much from the book. It did not read as smoothly as the other one had, but I attribute that largely to the subject matter. Paul was a very com
Mike
Nov 21, 2013 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

Edited & Corrected Review November 21, 2013

Intro/Mea Culpa:

First off, my apologies for having created the original review and incorrectly writing about Caldwell’s Dear and Glorious Physician! I’m not entirely sure how I managed to write the essay but then create the wrong book when I posted the review. Many thanks to Constanza (see comments below) for reading this review and commenting on my error.

I have created a review for Dear and Glorious Physician (DAGP) with the mater
Georgia Herod
Paul the Apostle is the subject of Caldwell's story. She has created a man of "leonine" proportions, one who lived as passionately before his Damascus Road experience as afterward. Because I am also reading through the Bible and have been in the book of Acts, it has been fascinating to read coinciding portions. I admire writers who can envision the gaps and take brief comments and expand them in technicolor. Caldwell does that! Paul becomes larger than life as he wrestles with his faith, his hum ...more
Daniel
Her best biblical character novel by far! I have read it 3 times!
Erin Miller
one of my favorites, if not, my favorite. I love the apostle Paul. This is such a wonderfully written fictional story of his life with as much biblical knowledge as possible.
Cami Bledel
Exelente!!! trata sobre la vida se San Pablo, muy entretenido ver como llego a ser ese hombre santo, y la perspectiva que el tenia sobre Jesus
Libby
This is the first book I ever put away unfinished. I was raised to believe it was a special sort of sin to show disrespect to a book, but I just could not make myself continue reading. I had read over 350 pages and NOTHING had happened. This was supposed to be the life of one of the most well-traveled, aggressive and strong-willed individuals in Christian history! This, the first of my many sins against literature, occurred in the early 1970's, when I was incredibly young and naive. Perhaps my o ...more
Letty
My two-star rating is purely a visceral reaction to the character and has nothing to do with the quality of the writing.

I read this book when I was a young teen. I'm sure it was well-written; Taylor Caldwell is a fine writer. I only gave it two stars because it caused me to dislike St. Paul. I mean, how bad of an arrogant #### do you have to be so that the only thing that'll turn you around is to have God himself (in the form of Jesus Christ) appear before you and strike you blind?

I also read D
Amy
My book club picked this book, because this liturgical year is dedicated to St. Paul. As well, we had previously read Grandmother and the Priests by Taylor Caldwell and which we all loved. Caldwell's research into biblical times bears fruit in this immense novel, moving from Paul's upper-class upbringing in Tarsus to his traveling to Jerusalem. I enjoyed very much how the author brought in to Paul's life, prior to his conversion, John the Baptist, Joseph of Arimathea, and of course, Jesus and Hi ...more
Harel
Apostle Paul really was an average people in biblical time. Devoted to his religion and beliefs, and to his faith and ministry later.
With faults, as everyone.
Angela Joyce
Passionate, detailed, exciting, and an altogether fascinating read. My one complaint is the frequency with which Paul's looks are described. I got it the first time-- in this story, he has red hair, blue eyes, freckles, a unibrow and a leonine way about him. No need to remind us every three pages for the whole flippin' book. Otherwise, great stuff.
Kim Preslar
This story is a fascinating look at the life and angst of St. Paul the apostle. Again, incredible research is obvious in the writing. I have a much greater appreciation of the books he penned in the New Test.
Tensaebirhan Negussu
to read this book concerning to my life.
Mimi
While some of St. Paul's writings are sublimely beautiful, I can sometimes find him a bit abrasive and harsh. Caldwell takes this personality trait and builds a believable character and weaves in his writings (after his conversion.)
However, the book never quite flowed smoothly for me. Parts would move quickly, and others would slow down to a pace that I was sure I'd never finish.
A good read, but probably not one I'll return to again and again.
Sandy Hearn
I have read several of Taylor Caldwell's books, some of them including this one she has done a great deal of research on and she explains a lot in great length. But this one was hard to finish, which I did. She went on far too much about about the characters opinions of life and etc. This is the life story of St Paul also known as Saul, be spent most of his life as a very bitter unhappy man. He has sex once in his entire life and spent the rest of his life feeling worthless about it because he ...more
Ana
Hermoso, hermoso libro! Coincidió que lo estuve leyendo en un hospital y me ayudó a ver desde otra perspectiva la fe y el poder de Jesús en los hombres. Magnífico como siempre Taylor Caldwell
Lee Yahnker
I'm not sure how much of this story is factual or just a retelling from the bible but it was an enjoyable read.
John
The paperback I had was damaged, and the contents didn't seem worth working through that.
Jeanne
i read this book when it was written in the seventies and decided i needed to read again. st paul is so influential in christianity and this historical fiction turns him into a real person. albeit who knows how his life really was. did put some history in place for me.

an interesting commentary by the author in the foreward..."as the american republic is declining today". written over 40 years ago it could have been written right now.

a good book.
Brenda
I loved this book and just finished re-reading it thirty-some years after my first time through. The Apostle Paul is my personal hero so it was really fun and really interesting to see how Taylor Caldwell fleshed him out through fiction. Of course, I had my New Testament and Google at the ready throughout the reading, so I learned as I perused:)
Dottie
Again Taylor Caldwell's story of the disciple Paul before and after his transformative experience was great reading given my own leaning to Paulineian (sp?) ideas -- and yes, I know there are controversies there. Caldwell's Biblical lives fictions are one of my little caches of books which I keep handy.
Kate Hart
Taylor Caldwell brings the biblical character of St. Paul to vibrant life. I would recommend that open-minded Christians read "Search for a Soul" by Jess Stearn to further enhance their understanding of the depth of this writer's perspective.
Marian Kaye
It's been awhile but I did enjoy TC's book especially thinking about the Apostle Paul. My husband read it first and he chose to call our youngest daughter by the love of Paul's former life...Dacyl Kehaulani.
Maricarmen Estrada M
Interesante, mas me hubiese gustado una mayor fidelidad en cuanto a los datos históricos. La prosa cae en ciertos momentos en un romanticismo innecesario, lo cual le resta fuerza al relato
P.I.
This has to be my ultimate favorite book of all time. I love this story, again a Christian fiction done lovingly for the reader. Poignant rather than preachy. LOVE IT.
Arthur K
after you read this book, pick up your bible and read any of the books of paul. taylor caldwell has a way of story telling, that brings you inside the tale.
Kathleen
All of us have favorite saints....and I have to say, St. Paul frightens me a bit. I'm such a wimp. Good book though, from what I can recall.
Nimfa C.
If one would want to know more about the life of St. Paul before his conversion on the road to Damascus, this is the book to read. A great read!
  • The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives
  • البشموري
  • Goat Song
  • My Brother's Keeper
  • Freedom
  • Magdalen Rising: The Beginning (Maeve Chronicles, #1)
  • Song of Years
  • The Rope Dancer
  • Homing (Williamsburg, #7)
  • A Being So Gentle: The Frontier Love Story of Rachel and Andrew Jackson
Also known by the pen names Marcus Holland and Max Reiner.

Taylor Caldwell was born in Manchester, England. In 1907 she emigrated to the United States with her parents and younger brother. Her father died shortly after the move, and the family struggled. At the age of eight she started to write stories, and in fact wrote her first novel, The Romance of Atlantis, at the age of twelve (although it
More about Taylor Caldwell...
Captains and the Kings Dear and Glorious Physician Testimony of Two Men A Pillar of Iron I, Judas