Start by marking “The Loopy Coop Hens ” as Want to Read:
The Loopy Coop Hens

The Loopy Coop Hens (The Loopy Coop Hens)

Midge, Pip, and Dot are the hens of Loopy Coop Farm. They want to fly like Rooster Sam, but they just can't seem to do it, even though they try and try. With its surprise ending, short and punchy text, and Stoeke's hilariously expressive pictures, this is a story kids will want to return to again and again.

From the author of the hit Minerva Louise series, this boisterous
Published March 17th 2011 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Loopy Coop Hens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loopy Coop Hens

midnightfaerie
Oct 20, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
An okay story, nothing too original or fantastic here, including the illustrations. Barely held the attention of any of my children. We were all bored.
Heidi-Marie
Mar 25, 2011 Heidi-Marie rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm having a day and picture books just aren't speaking to me. I liked where the story went on this. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of the text. And I couldn't help wondering if the book is meant as an early reader. Its words would work pretty well with that, but at that stage I would think a lot of children want to feel like they're reading a "big kid" book. Maybe the separation into "chapters" would convince them that this book would work. I liked the pictures.
Elizabeth
Mar 27, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This author likes her chickens. New book from Minerva Louisa author. Longer book compared to Minerva. Divided into "chapters". Hens love Rooster. Envious of his ability to fly. When they find out the "flying" isn't what they thought, they decide they still love their rooster. Illustrations are inviting and liked better than story. Minerva still rules the roost in my book.
Eva Leger
Jun 13, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This is a very simple picture book that is perfect for the very young readers (or hearers) out there and it can even work for the slightly older crowd. Julia will be 6 in Sept. and this is on the very easy side of what we read but she still thought it was cute. It's about a full 60 seconds or so of reading and it smacks of.... I don't know what to call it.
These three hens are ga-ga (I hate using that now... just hate it) over this rooster. He struts around like Travolta in Grease and the hens a
Arminzerella
Tasha
Jan 07, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The author of the Minerva Louise series returns with another chicken book. In this book, three hens named Midge, Pip and Dot watch Rooster Sam with both love and envy. While they love their Rooster Sam, they wish that they could fly the way he does up onto the roof of the barn. They try and try and try again, but they just can’t fly. Even moths can fly, but despite their big wings, the hens can’t fly. So the hens come up with a plan to spy on Rooster Sam to see how he flies in the hopes that the ...more
Winter Weiss
Dec 01, 2013 Winter Weiss rated it it was amazing
Awards/Nominations: Not applicable

Summary: Midge, Pip and Dot are hens who live on Loopy Coop Farm. The Rooster Sam lives there too and he can fly! The hens want to fly like Rooster Sam but he won’t tell them how so they try and try to fly but they can’t do it. They want to find out Rooster Sam’s secret to flying so one day they spy on him and find out his big secret.

Review: This is a very cute and funny story that children will love and ask for it to be read again and again. The plot is fresh,
Melissa Mcavoy
From the creator of the charming Minerva Louise series, (Puffin, 2001), comes a fresh cast of hens, Midge, Dot and Pip. The illustrations, rendered in acrylic, are graphic and appealing. The book, divided into five short chapters, seems designed for the youngest readers and listeners. Regrettably, the story is oddly disquieting and mildly distasteful. The three hens adore their rooster Sam: admiring his golden toes, snowy white tail and ability to fly. Sam doesn’t deign to notice them. Distresse ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Stoeke, Janet Morgan. The Loopy Coop Hens. New York: Dutton Children's, 2011. Print.
The Loopy Coop Hens is a picture book mystery book of sorts. The hens of this farm love their rooster friend. But they are jealous that he can fly. They try and they try to fly but can’t. But the rooster has a secret. Will the hens learn the truth about the rooster?
Stoeke has written a good picture book that children will enjoy about a group of hens who want to fly. I would recommend this for children ages 2-6.
Nancy
Mar 15, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Midge, Dot and Pip are smitten with Rooster Sam. They are convinced that Sam can fly. Now the hens are not sure how he does it, but they do know that Sam is tall and snowy white and even his toes are golden yellow. Yep, these girls have quite the crush on ol’ Sam.

They try to fly, not a success, they cannot figure it out - even moths can fly, so why are they having such a difficulty.

One morning the girls are up early, they are going to watch Sam and copy his every move.

Huh! Sam has a secret.

T
Liza Gilbert
Dec 15, 2011 Liza Gilbert rated it did not like it
Jonathon
Feb 14, 2013 Jonathon rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Loopy Coop Hens has very simple illustrations, but are really clear; it depends on what you like. I like more complex illustrations, but for someone who likes the simple illustrations, they are wonderful. The story is funny. At the end of the story all of the chickens find out that the rooster cannot fly, but they love him just the same. There are some deeper meanings hidden within the text that you could use for students.
I gave this book 4 stars, and that was strictly because of the story i
Barbara
Feb 25, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is basically a beginning reader in picture book format. The hilarious chickens from Minerva Louise author Janet Stoeke are in full form thinking that a fox is tossing apples down from the apple tree to disturb their peace and quiet. Humorous dialog and silly antics abound when they undertake an exploration of the situation. For beginning readers comfortable with reading simple sentences. Children in K-1st grade will appreciate the chicken humor. Lots of great vocabulary and the illustration ...more
The Library Lady
Apr 06, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This cute. This is funny. But the hens who worship their rooster, discover that he is a fraud (he can't fly) and continue to adore him anyway remind me ominously of the sort of women chronicled in Smart Women Foolish Choices.Or worse still, Twilight......
Laura Salas
Jul 21, 2011 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, pbs
Karen Arendt
May 09, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Three hens admire how rooster can fly (or at least they think he flies). They have never seen him fly but every morning he is on the roof. They follow him and realize that he does not fly, but they love him anyway. The story is broken up into three chapters even though it is a picture book. This is a good introduction to beginner reader books. The theme about accepting people (or animals) as they are is a good lesson to learn as well. Simple illustrations portray the pride of the rooster and the ...more
Melanie
The hens of Loopy Coop love their Rooster Sam. He can fly. Or can he? The hens devise a plan to watch him fly because they haven't seen him actually fly. They quickly learn that he can't fly at all, but he is white and has very orange toes and his comb falls just so. They love him anyway.

This is a picture book in chapter book format. This type of picture book doesn't flow well and is choppy. The story does not lend itself to a read-aloud.
Shanshad Whelan
Can't really like this one. The admiration the hens show a rooster seems woefully misplaced. And even after the hens determine that the rooster can't fly, they continue to admire him despite his duplicity. Give me Touch Chicks or Blue Chicken, or Chickens to the rescue for barnyard chicken stories.
The Styling Librarian
Fantastic and hilarious take on chickens at a farmyard. Loved both of these books, especially that they were both "chapter" books. I think they're quite approachable for the young child who wants to be successful with initial reading and additionally quite entertaining for the adult reading the book!
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 21, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I have recently read about 20 picture books as I processed them. They are all about first grade level. This one was cute and fun but not particularly remarkable.

Irina
Apr 16, 2012 Irina rated it liked it
Shelves: funny
This is a funny book about some hens who try to fly like the rooster. Finally, they decide to secretly watch the rooster in the morning to see how he flies up so high, and they realize that he really could never fly. This is just a fun book that I would probably read to a group of early elementary students. It could also lead into a conversation about the difference between a hen and a rooster.
Kristen
Cute farm story with easy-reader-ish text. Midge, Pip, and Dot love their Rooster Sam. Not only is he tall and snowy-white, but he can fly! The three hens wish they could fly, too, and when they find out Sam's secret to getting to the roof of the barn, they're a bit let down, but still think he's handsome. Simpler than her Minerva Louise books.
Danica Midlil
I do really love her illustrations and her Minerva Louise books can make preschoolers roll around on the floor in fits of giggles, but this one felt a little flat. The illustrations still portray delightfully blobby chickens, but the story was pretty dull and broken into strange short chapter-like bits, which I think would make it odd to read aloud at storytime.
Janet
Apr 17, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
The Loopy Coop hens idolize their rooster, Rooster Sam. But the hens do have some envy about Rooster Sam's ability to "fly". Just how does he get to the top of the barn every morning to crow? I liked the bold colors and large depictions of the hens and rooster in the illustrations.
Katrina Kim
Jan 22, 2013 Katrina Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
- Early reader
Funny book; humor
- Read when introducing adjectives

New vocab: Peace
Discuss the problem and solution

Problem: Hens want to fly and can't
Solution: Accepts the fact that hens are not meant to fly

Heather
A cute chicken story for fairly young audiences. Probably preschool or kindergarten. Not as funny as some of my favorite chicken stories, but still a valuable addition to the stories of silly chickens.
Harla
Jun 27, 2013 Harla rated it really liked it
The Loopy Coop Hens are funny and cute! I loved Minerva and now am sure I will enjoy all of these books as well. Thanks to whoever put together the chicken story time kit! You introduced me to some great new chicken books.
Sep 17, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
A big thank you to Ms. Stoeke for writing these adorable books starring chickens! Any book about chickens sparks my son's interest, and while these books are simpler than his reading level, he really enjoys the story, the clever humor, and the lovely illustrations.
Paula
The book is divided in short chapters which could make it a good read for the very early readers
Chickens Pip, Midge, and Dot admire Rooster Sam and his ability to fly up to the barn roof, but when they spy on him to see how he does it, they get a big surprise.
Nicole
Oct 27, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
I called this both a picture book and an early-reader since it introduces readers to the concept of chapters, though the format is really more like a picture book...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Bring on the Birds
  • Fly Free!
  • Ten Little Caterpillars

The Loopy Coop Hens (3 books)
  • Pip's Trip
  • Letting Go (The Loopy Coop Hens)