Start by marking “Spirits Out of Time: True Family Ghost Stories and Weird Paranormal Experiences” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Spirits Out of Time: T...

Annie Wilder

Spirits Out of Time: True Family Ghost Stories and Weird Paranormal Experiences

I have always been fascinated by secrets...

So begins Annie Wilder's collection of true family ghost stories, gathered from old letters and family genealogy books or told around the dinner table. From her Irish great-grandpa outsmarting the death coach to her German great-great-grandma seeing a falling star each time one of her children died, these personal vignettes illu

Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD. (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spirits Out of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirits Out of Time

Janet
Apr 24, 2011 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book didn't flow well. The (see photo gallery) notations were annoying and I felt that the geneology would have been more interesting if it was introduced as an aside to the stories instead of the author expecting the reader to learn the wno's who at the beginning and keep track of it througout. I also felt many of the "paranormal experiencs" had perfectly natural explanations and the author's failure to recognize that left me questioning her credibility.

I read a lot of paranomal fiction and
Vikki
Oct 08, 2010 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book written by a girl of Irish descent. She has a huge family that she talks about. It is easy to feel the love and comrederie of this large family. They all have experiences of seeing and living with ghost. I really enjoyed this book.
hunger games and K POP LAVA!!!!
diddnt like it because it basically talked about her life more than talking ghost
Megan
Sep 14, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book, and so interesting. It gives me the motivation to search through my own family's history. Annie is a great person with great energy which radiates out from this book.
Andrea
Aug 15, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[This review originally appeared on Andi's Book Reviews.]

Annie Wilder's Spirits Out of Time: True Family Ghost Stories and Weird Paranormal Experiences takes us through her family's history of paranormal experiences, which almost seem to be genetic for them. She outlines her family tree, in hopes of helping the reader keep track of all of the "characters" contained within her book. (And it is somewhat helpful.) The end also includes an appendix with pictures of these people, to which she refers
Natalia
I picked up this book on a whim, my local library is closed for renovation, and I had to bike several miles to the next closest one. I was about to check out when this book caught my eye. The cover is really striking.

It's not a fabulous work of literature, but it's an interesting read. It's written as if she's talking, which I'd normally find annoying, but considering the personal subject matter (it's all about her and her family and friends' collective experiences with the paranormal) it doesn
Nov 21, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading all of the ghost stories from Annie's personal experiences and those of her family. This book made me think back to so many experiences I cannot explain that I had when I was a kid. Annie is very in tune with spirits and other paranormal experiences. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading family stories and ghost stories. Most of the stories in this book are not scary. The chapter that stood out the most for me was when Annie was living in Lake Elmo with her parents ...more
Rawannie
I connected with Ms. Wilder's stories in many ways. Some were entertaining and poignantly familiar (my family is also visited by feline family members who have left this plane). I have had "out-of-time" experiences similar to those mentioned in the book, as well as portents from both living and spirit animals. Her story about her friend Dylan, however, brought me to tears as it was eerily similar to my friendship with someone who passed suddenly and tragically.

I look forward to reading Ms. Wild
Debbie
Feb 05, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, favorites
Annie Wilder's Spirits Out of Time: True Family Ghost Stories and Weird Paranormal Experiences takes us through her family's history of paranormal experiences. I love hearing stories from the past and this book has many, many stories. Annie Wilder has captivated her readers with a very personal collection of family ghost stories and photos and history. When I put the book down, it was almost as if I'd stopped by her house for a visit.I am definitely adding this book to my personal library.
Annie
Sep 02, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite readable, an interesting family history which focused on paranormal events. However, almost every paranormal event related in the book had an easily explainable alternate explanation, so I wouldn't take these events as proof positive that spirits exist after death. The author believes that to be so, and that is enough.
Anita Dalton
Meh. Just another Llewellyn book on ghosts. It is what it is. I tend to think books like this are best read at Halloween when we are looking for spooky stories, but as spookiness goes, these were pretty mild stories. If you find this for a buck at your local used book store, go for it. But otherwise just read some good ghost fiction, like M.R. James.
Amy
Jun 19, 2013 Amy marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Not for me. I believe in ghosts and have a fairly open mind about the paranormal. But this author's open-mindedness blows mine out of the water. She embraces the mystical/metaphysical/intuitive much, much more than I do. I like my ghost stories straight up, without the side helping of auras, astral travel, spirit guides, and psychic sensitivity.
Cynthia Egbert
Sep 24, 2016 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was an interesting read but I think it would be far more interesting if you were a part of this woman's family. In fact, I think that every family should have such a book with the supernatural happenings of that family recorded and I am thinking that I may begin just such a book for my family!
Sharon
Jun 27, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book before, but felt like looking it over again. A nice book, with tales of the authors family and experiences, it is a nice read.
Lisa Rodriguez
Jul 28, 2013 Lisa Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this authors first book and enjoyed it so much that I figured this book would be just as good and I was right, very entertaining to read and very interesting
Amanda
Jan 26, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. Although I don't necessarily believe in everything that she does (i.e. spirit guides, astral projection, etc), I thought that her family's stories were fascinating.
MissMcfoxlin
MissMcfoxlin rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Sarah Eiler
Sarah Eiler rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2010
Denise
Denise rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2015
Codey Long
Codey Long rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Jennifer Kennedy
Jennifer Kennedy rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2014
Slmstanley
Slmstanley rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2012
Colleen Criswell
Colleen Criswell rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2011
Jaci
Jaci rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Mara
Mara rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Marcie
Marcie rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Andrea Trenary
Andrea Trenary rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

Annie Wilder is writer and proud mother of grown children who admit to seeing some strange things in their childhood home. Wilders first book House of Spirits and Whispers is a true account of her experiences living with ghosts for more than a decade. She regularly hosts haunted tea parties in her spirit-filled Victorian house nestled in a sleepy Mississippi River town in Minnesota. Her haunted ho

More about Annie Wilder...