Start by marking “Painter and Ugly” as Want to Read:
Painter and Ugly

Painter and Ugly

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Painter and Ugly are best friends. They run together, they swim together, they eat out of the same dinner bowls. When one calls out, "Yip," the other answers back. They are inseparable! That is, until they are forced apart and put on two different teams for the junior Iditarod. But nothing can keep them apart. When during the race Painter finds a boy musher alone, stranded ...more
Published January 20th 2011 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Painter and Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painter and Ugly

Candice
This was an adorable tale of two dear friends-pups that are sled dogs. They live in the deep cold, do all their activities together, and then are separated. They train for the Jr Iditarod race, and in that training, find sadness at being separated. As they start the race Painter smells Ugly's scent, and then the hunt is on to find one another. Amongst some other circumstances they are brought back together, and together they win the great race, as best friends. The illustrations are amazing. Ver ...more
Diane
"Nothing can keep two real friends apart."

Two sled dogs are separated onto different teams, but they can't be kept apart. They find each other during the Jr. Iditarod and lead their respective teams through the woods to meet.

Sandie
This was a story about two canine friends on a dog sled team that was racing in the junior iditerod in Alaska. I was a little sad about how the dogs ended up torn apart the way they were and a little confused as to why it happened, but I think that was my adult mind wanting to know why. My daughter sat paying close attention through the whole story and looking at the great pictures without questioning why it happened at all.

The writer explains how he came up with the idea for the story at the e
Angie
Painter and Ugly are best friends and partners on a sled team. They do everything together and can't bare to be apart. Then the team is broken up and sold. Painter and Ugly are lonely without each other. Until the Junior Iditarod Race. They are both lead dogs on their team and are able to race together again.

I really enjoyed this book but it made me sad as well. Painter and Ugly are not kept together forever and the fact that this is semi-based on a true story makes it even sadder. Doesn't make
Bree
Notes:
Blake is superb at capturing sled dog life in a kid-appealing way
fictional story of two best friend dogs who never want to be apart
Charlie
This book that was made in 2011 is one of the best stories I've ever read. Painter and Ugly are two best friends that never want their sides. But one day, something terrible happened. They were going to a sled race and were split up into teams. But they were not on the same team. At the end they finally found each other and the race was a tie. But after that, they never left any of their sides again.
Melissa
I read this one with my 10yo, who was pretty intrigued by the setting, and the reunion of the friends. I thought it was interesting for the arctic details and had a decent plot, but I think what I valued most was the author's note at the end, his discussion of what sparked the idea for the story. I'll try to remember this for elementary school teachers who are looking for writing prompts.
Painter and Ugly, best friend sled dogs in Alaska, are separated and then reunited during a race. Blake's paintings are well done and capture the feeling and excitement of sled racing. Some simple vocabulary is introduced and the paintings are full of interesting details. A good story for winter, dog sled racing, or friendship themes.
Shelley Daugherty
A wonderful children's book about the Iditarod and a story of friendship that knows no bounds. I was sad to read the author's note that this was based loosely on a true story but he added the what if they did find each other again. Well, here is to what if! Beautifully done Blake!
Mary N
So many dog stories recommended by kids for NYRA 2013! This one is about two inseparable sled dogs that, one day, are sold to different owners to be trained for the challenging race in Alaska. Illustrations are great -- very realistic!
Holly Thompson
Another story set with an iditarod theme. This one, though is fiction. I'm glad I read the author's note in the back about where this story came from. I think kids could be inspired to write "what if" stories.
Mouse Denehy
I enjoy books about dogsled races. I think I may have watched too much Balto as a kid but anything about huskies is good with me. I love the art and the text placement, they compliment one another well.
Embrc
I believe this is the third sled dog book by Blake. It's a nice story of the friendship of 2 dogs and the paintings are lovely. A solid purchase if you have fans/interest in your community. AM
Edward Sullivan
Canine friends are separated and then find each other at the Jr. Iditarod. A heartwarming story dog lovers will find irresistible.
Marianna
Beautifully illustrated. A story about the friendship that develops between two dogs.
Kris
Great for dog lovers and those looking for books about the Junior Iditarod.
Patricia
May 29, 2013 Patricia marked it as to-read
Shelves: texas-share-card
Tuck everlasting brook hollow, Collins garden, igo, memorial, tobin
Jim
perfect

nobody paints huskies better than Blake
Karen Arendt
Story about junior iditarod.
Jill Vaughan
Love this book!
Corie
Corie added it
Jan 25, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Sarah E.
Sarah E. marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014