Start by marking “Denial: Why Business Leaders Fail to Look Facts in the Face--and What to Do About It” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Wise. Relevant. Riveting." -Jim Collins, author of Good to Great

Denial is the unconscious belief that a certain fact is too terrible to face and therefore cannot be true. It turns challenges into crises, dilemmas into catastrophes. It's the single greatest obstacle business leaders face.

Now Harvard business School professor Richard S. Tedlow tackles two essential que
Published February 22nd 2011 by Portfolio (first published January 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Denial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Denial

Joe Robles
A great book on a psychological problem that afflicts all of us at one time or another, but is really serious when you're the leader of a business: Denial. If you've read Jim Collins' How the mighty Fall, then you may already be familiar with this concept in companies that fail. Tedlow's book expands on the subject of denial, that made up one of the chapters of Collins book. Denial looks at several companies that denied the realty they were in and how it lead to their downfall, and shows those c ...more
Adriaan Jansen
In ''Denial'', Richard Tedlow dedicates 1 chapter to light theory of the concept of denial, 9 to company-based case studies, and 1 to final conclusions.

The chapter about theory presents a useful distinction between denial of probabilities and denial of facts. Tedlow then proceeds to separate denial of facts in ''literal denial'' (denial of the facts in themselves) and ''interpretive denial'' (denial of interpretation, e.g. ''this doesn't apply to us'')
An example of denial of probabilities is th
Tomoaki
It is somewhat different from what I expected to read. I expected the author fully explain the process to reach the denial and how to avoid it, but those were not answered enough in this book and rather he just jump to the word "denial" when it comes to the reason of failure. I wanted specifically what caused the denial and how to prevent it.
Model T is a old story anyway and I did not feel close to the story.What I felt was I was just reading a brief history of companies.
I understood the denial
David Levine
Great read. I got this after my company fired our division's CEO and his top reports. Having lived through denial at the top, I needed to read about it...
Effendy Yahaya
the act of accepting or not of denial existence perhaps to safeguards a leader in decision making. it is crucial if in the state of ignorance.
Jaimit Doshi
nice and insightful in parts
Hanrick Lee
Hanrick Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Mcgowanj
Mcgowanj marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Chen
Chen marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Wissam Younes
Wissam Younes marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Slavi
Slavi marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Blcm
Blcm marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Sam
Sam added it
Jul 26, 2015
Vidhi Gyani
Vidhi Gyani marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Leo Ortiz
Leo Ortiz marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
John Smith
John Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Sammy Perez
Sammy Perez marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Sobia Be
Sobia Be marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Hanxx136
Hanxx136 marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built Andy Grove: The Life and Times of an American New and Improved: The Story of Mass Marketing in America The Watson Dynasty: The Fiery Reign and Troubled Legacy of IBM's Founding Father and Son シリコンバレーを征したパラノイア [Shirikonbarē O Seishita Paranoia]