Start by marking “Nowhere to Run” as Want to Read:
Nowhere to Run

Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)

New York Times bestselling author Mary Jane Clark delivers Nowhere to Run, a thrilling novel of psychological suspense set in the world she knows best--network news

Botulism, anthrax, smallpox, plague: as medical producer for television's highly-rated morning news program, Annabelle Murphy makes her living explaining horrific conditions to the nation. So when a KEY News col
Published April 1st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere to Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere to Run

Aug 06, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
FINALLY done. I was really only reading this when on breaks at work and mostly wound up chatting to coworkers.
This book was difficult to get in to. Sure, it's got anthrax, and all the haute topics that followed in pocket fiction in the early days after 9/11, but, eh. The book was enjoyable enough as a means to kill time, and was a swift read because the chapters are so ridiculously short. Most were only a page, some only a couple of sentences. That kind of choppy style really annoys me, though s
Thalita Ribeiro
Mar 10, 2017 Thalita Ribeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Lido em português!
---------------------
Primeira vez que leio um livro da autora, que aliás é cunhada da Mary Higgins Clark que é um autora de sucesso nesse ramo de livro policial/suspense.

Minha primeira impressão foi boa, gostei da ambientação (uma emissora de TV, nunca tinha lido algo similar) e do "fator problema" que é o bioterrorismo (esse já é meu amigo velho nas leituras do gênero). Personagens bem caracterizados, texto leve e um plot satisfatório.

Talvez eu esteja sendo exigente demais, ma
Aubrey
Boy was there is a lot going on in this book. I won't spoil anything by listing the details but suffice it to say there was a bit too much going on for my taste. I suppose the great number of reprehensible characters was meant to create a large pool of suspects and keep the reader guessing whodunit right up until the big reveal. It didn't work, at least not for me. Nowhere to Run was my first Mary Jane Clark and probably my last. Judging from the reviews this book is typical of her writing style ...more
Debbie Heaton
In Clark’s suspense novel, Annabelle Murphy is the medical producer for the morning news. When a staff member dies showing symptoms of anthrax, panic sets in and the staff looks to her for answers. As the bodies pile up, all with the same symptoms, it becomes clear that this attack is murder. And when the authorities quarantine the station, Murphy goes in pursuit of a killer hoping to find him before he can kill again.

A fast-paced storyline that keeps the reader hanging on.

Wendy
Jan 21, 2017 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun book
Jane
Mar 14, 2008 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Jane by: Peggy
Enjoyable fast read. Short chapters and lots of characters. This book was a murder mystery complete with multiple suspects and anthrax. The story was told in an hour by hour, day by day basis spanning November 15-26 and involving a broadcast news group. It did not contain a whole lot of twists but the dialog was intelligent and well written and I was surprised to find out who executed the crime.
Kristen
Mar 25, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-thriller, 2012
If you love fast-paced novels, you'll enjoy this one from Mary Jane Clark. Post-9/11, there's been an anthrax scare at Key News in New York. Now, everyone's running scared. Annabelle Murphy has a full plate as medical segment producer, when her husband's recovering from depression from 9/11, raising twins, and now this crisis at work. It's up to her to find out who's responsible for exposing them, when one of their own is dead, and someone's after her and her family.
Brenda
Apr 21, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this mystery because I really enjoy the author. This story was a murder set in New York City at KEY News. I was very impressed on how the author balanced the characters, they seemed so human. I really had not figured out who was behind the murders and framings until right before the author revealed it. I enjoyed the sunshine spots in this darker story. It only took me six hours to read this story.
Nov 19, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some people complained about the choppy style of this book, and that the chapters were really really short. It didn't bother me so much – that's just Mary Jane Clark's writing style. This was a pretty solid mystery – there were many people with motives and you had to wonder which one was the killer. I only give it three stars because it wasn't really that suspenseful. There were times when the plot dragged a little bit, and I was impatient for the writer to get to the ending and the reveal
Luisana
Jul 18, 2016 Luisana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book got kind of interesting at p. 197 or so... I kept reading because I was sure who the killer was (I was wrong...but should've suspect it) and The only character I liked was Jerome. Annabelle didn't strike me as someone I cared about, even if she was on a killer's list. The character was not intense, although she had so many things happening. This is book #6 and the first time I picked up this author...I will probably read other books in this series (against my better judgement).
Maggie
Jul 16, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great novel by Clark. I wasn't overwhelmed by her number of characters this time. It shocked me and was never too graphic or inappropriate. However, the use of g** d*** was completely uncalled for and left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. However, with very few reasons to be disappointed, I will be starting my next Clark novel tomorrow.
Mary
Mar 26, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this suspense/mystery book. So many suspects I did not guess until the last few chapters. The chapters were short some only one page. I liked the short chapter I kept saying I'm only going to read one more and go to bed. The author was married to Mary Higgins Clark's son. I recommend this book.
Anne Marie
Jul 07, 2013 Anne Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great murder-mystery book by Mary Jane Clark! I love how the book is fast paced. Every chapter is exciting with enough clues to make you want to keep reading. I like how all the books I've read so far by Clark are based on KEY News television news. The characters are believable and some tie into other books.
Pat
Mar 15, 2008 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was outstanding, it must be my age because when I first picked this up I thought I was reading another Mary Higgins Clark book. WELL this one was better than some of hers. It kept you in suspense throughout and usually I can figure out who did it long before the end not in this case. I will read more by Mary Jane Clark in the future.
Anita
Oct 18, 2012 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was the 'taking care of loose ends' that accounted for the first murder, that of a television broadcast station employee. As the story unfolds, every one is potentially a suspect, what with secrets and hidden agendas. Short chapters keep the pace brisk in this murder-mystery, but it is short on suspense, so only a 3-star read for me.
Kathy Sandlin
Jan 15, 2008 Kathy Sandlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of the Mary Jane Clark. Kind of found her by accident since she was right with the Mary Higgins and Carol Higgins in the bookstore. Good reads....probably better than the Carol Higgins but not as good as the Mary Higgins books. They are nice fast reads. I'll just add a few to the list
Feb 27, 2016 Carol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As I looked at the many 4 star reviews I had to try to under stand the why. This book was a mess from start to the finish. For those who thought it was a thriller, I cringe. For those who thought it was well constructed, I sigh. For those who thought seven or eight characters was not enough, I shake my head. And then I find this was number six in the series...
KarenC

Good for a casual read. Had some moments of suspense as well as some obvious leads to the killer. A lot of emphasis on the "career mom" with lots of concerns at home.

Annabelle is a well-developed character and appropriate insights are provided into the lives of other signficant players. Short chapters with suspenseful information kept me turning pages.

Chana
Feb 10, 2009 Chana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Written in a short-chaptered, basic style. Seemed simplistic at first and I didn't expect much. As the story progresses the short chapters spin the reader faster and faster through characters, clues and scenarios creating a satisfying level of reader anxiety and suspense.
The Visual
An enjoyable read. I wasn't able to guess who the killer was until the last few pages. It's obviously a nice read but the method of killing seemed a little boring for me. It's appropriate for the times and location when this was written.
Sheila
May 22, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series and this author a lot. This was written post 9/11 and dealt with the anthrax in the mail scares that were rampant at that time in newsrooms. In this case it wasn't terrorism but a murder plot.
Rebekkila
Her books aren't anything spectacular, but they are fast reads and I always enjoy them. This story is a classic who-dun-it with many suspects. The only problem with this is the one person who logically should not have been the guilty party was. Kind of a let down.
George
Dec 25, 2008 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery involving the use of anthrax by a murderer to remove people who are perceived as threats. Story is set in a New York television news station as a producer finds herself in the middle of everything.

Story is a bit slow moving and leaves a number of secondary plot lines unresolved.
Cindy
Nov 26, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good. I liked the main character and the writting style is similar to Mary Higgins Clark in the way she uses very quick, brief chapters to give the illusion of speed of time and events passing.
Julie
Jul 06, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again a fast-paced thriller/mystery with clues and red herrings. Now add Anthrax and hostage taking and a little psychosis thrown in, and it was a quick read, at least partially because I couldn't stop reading. In other words, I loved it.
Jun 22, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one day. I couldn't put it down. Everytime I thought I knew who might be the villian, they ended up dead. A riveting look inside a news studio not too long after 9/11 and the anthrax scares.
Sep 28, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too many characters that I couldn't care about. It seemed like the characters' personalities weren't developed well. I've read a lot of her books and found them much more interesting than this one. Okay read, but not memorable.
Esther
Oct 23, 2012 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Didn't think I was in the mood for an anthrax scare; it had been on my shelf for a while. But it was very interesting. Maybe the resolution was a little abrupt and the epilogue a little mushy, but I was too close to the end by then.
Crystal Woods
Jan 24, 2015 Crystal Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. I never got bored, I actually had trouble putting it down. I had this book finished in one day. I highly recommend it
Mika
Dec 07, 2011 Mika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book, a wonderful suspense novel. Though I find that suspense is not my genre. This book has a secret compartment in it now...
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • The Anastasia Syndrome and Other Stories
  • Born to Love (Night Riders, #3)
  • Taken (Randall Shane, #1)
  • After the Fire
  • Unknown Means
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • Let It Snow
  • Dead Before Dark
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)