Start by marking “Quicksilver” as Want to Read:
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Hermes—also known as Mercury, Wayfinder, and Prince of Thieves—has many talents. Wearing his famed winged sandals, he does the bidding of his father Zeus, leads the dead down to Hades, and practices his favorite arts of trickery and theft. He also sees the future, travels invisibly, loves jokes, and abhors violence. And he’s an entertaining and ideal narrator on a fast-pac ...more
Published December 12th 2006 by Laurel Leaf (first published April 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Quicksilver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quicksilver

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Odyssey by HomerThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Best Books About Mythology
106th out of 568 books — 1,173 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Books with Greek mythology references
72nd out of 378 books — 419 voters

More lists with this book...

Terry
Meh. This book is the equivalent of calling someone you meet 'nice.' Nothing's wrong, but nothing stands out. It's split into 5 episodes all narrated by Hermes--there's the Persephone/Hades story, Perseus vs. Medusa, Paris and the golden apple, retrieving Hector's body, and Odysseus and Calypso. Getting inside Hermes' head to see these events would be a great way for anyone unfamiliar with the myths to access and understand them. It did make me feel closer to the stories than when I read more tr ...more
Obisbooks
Never gave Hermes much thought, and Quicksilver by Stephanie Silver has changed that. Hermes is cool, he’s against war, he loves horses, he thinks his fellow gods act like 2 year olds. In Quicksilver, Hermes tells his story, how he makes Zeus laugh, how he thinks the other gods out of sticky situations. He also talks about Perseus and the golden apple that led to Paris judging the goddesses and this leading to the Trojan War. The way Hermes tells it, he was always very busy and he cared about hu ...more
Laney
Sep 25, 2008 Laney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any Greek Geek over the age of 11
Everything from the first paragraph to the ending word was a hilarious and enchanting tale. The first paragraph goes like this...

"It's dark and gloomy, and it smells like dead sheep, but when Zeus says go to Hell, I go. The Lord of All Creation is not a Patient deity. Have you ever seen his hands clench and unclench when he's kept waiting? I call it the Thunderbolt Reflex. Best not trigger it is my advice, unless you long to burst into flames and explode.
I do not." (Quiver by Stephanie Spinner,
Fairley

I love Greek mythology; it’s one of my obsessions. So when I discovered “Quicksilver”, I immediately wanted to read it. And when I read it, I fell in love with it as quickly as Hermes can travel himself. I already expected to like the book—to really like it—but that’s not always the case. Fortunately, though, it was with this book.

One of the book’s greatest strength is in the narrator himself. Hermes is such an entertaining storyteller who adds a lot of humor and wit to the myths. But he also ha
Newengland
Bleh. Episodic retread of Greek myths where Hermes is involved. Fairly shallow, even for YA. Hard to get excited about any characters, sketchy plots, and the tired rehashings which are served up separately and kept lukewarm under the heating lamp. Might be enjoyed by kids who really like Greek mythology, but I think the old stories themselves are preferable to this "cover."
Ricki
I read this a few years ago, but I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Greek mythology. It is very humorous and makes Greek mythology enjoyable and fun to learn about.
Jessica-Robyn
Quicksilver first caught my attention when I was making a list of books recommended by the ALA for Young Adult readers. I was still new the YA section of the library and didn't know my way around, but Quicksilver seemed like a good place to start.

Here we have a story about the Greek god Hermes. Hermes has always been a favourite of mine when it comes to Greek mythology, but so often he gets pushed aside for the more scandalous Olympian gods. This story was easy to read and enjoyable. What makes
Julie (Books and Insomnia)
QUICKSILVER is a collection of some of the popular Greek legends that we are so familiar with, but given with a fresh attack because they’re told from the point of view of Hermes, God of Travelers and Mischief. I liked this book because in other stories, Hermes was often in the sidelines – the spotlight being taken by more popular gods and goddesses – but in QUICKSILVER, I didn’t only get to know him better; I was inside his head. I appreciated him more as I discovered that although he likes to ...more
Kim
Nov 28, 2009 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, ya
When I was in the fifth grade, my teacher assigned us to read a book on Greek mythology, and that assignment literally changed my life. Back when I was ten, one of my favorite myths was the story of how Hermes, the trickster god, stole 50 cattle from Apollo when he was only one day old. Apollo was a favorite deity as well, but to a kid, the story of an innocent baby stealing from a grown up and getting off scot-free is wonderfully subversive. . .and silly as all get-out, of course.

The problem wi
Kevin
Much like Quiver, Quicksilver by Stephanie Spinner is a retelling of various Greek Myths in the form of a young adult novel. This time the central character is Hermes.

Quicksilver starts out rather lightheartedly as Hermes runs various errands for his father Zeus and cracks jokes along the way. It takes a darker turn when discussing the Trojan war, but soon returns to happier times as it tells of his falling in love with Calypso.

As I noted with Quiver, these books are interesting and entertainin
Allie
This made for a quick, enjoyable reread of many beloved Greek mythology tales told through the eyes of Hermes, the often overlooked messenger god. In the original mythology, Hermes isn't given many scenes, yet he plays many important roles in assisting the spotlight heroes. Stephanie Spinner gave a lot of thought to Hermes' character, and more importantly, convinced me he was one of the few gods that maintained a conscience. Hermes is often sympathetic to abandoned nymphs injured by the heroes' ...more
Nix
Jun 02, 2013 Nix rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of retellings
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
I really liked how Hermes had some views that changed over time. Gods don't usually do that. Because, they're immortal and all that. But I liked this retelling. And Hermes is great. He's got a touch of humor, but he was still serious enough for me to take his change and maturation seriously.

I was not entirely convinced, though, of his love for Calypso. Not that I didn't believe he was in love, I just didn't really see it coming. I mean, he'd admired women over the course of the book, so I didn'
Barb Middleton
Hermes is the wise-cracking messenger god in Greek mythology. He can make Zeus laugh as well as the people that he ferries to the dead in the underworld. He helps Perseus slay Medusa, Persephone spend time with her mom, is involved in the Trojan War, and gets Odysseus released from Calypso.

The author covers a lot of ground with all these stories. Some will like it and some will not. I didn’t like it. Hermes never comes alive for me. It felt like the quick tour through Greek mythology. It was too
Cathy
May 10, 2014 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle school students interested in Greek mythology
I enjoyed this presentation of several Greek myths with Hermes, the messenger God, as the narrator. With his humorous delivery and interest in pleasing his father, Zeus, this was an entertaining read.
Ratforce
Stephanie Spinner has written a handful of books centered on Greek mythology. You may wish to start with the earliest, Quicksilver, but for a story centering on a strong young woman, try Quiver.

If you enjoyed the mythology in the Percy Jackson series, then you might want to give Stephanie Spinner a try. Quicksilver explores many stories from mythology, and is a fun and adventurous read.

If you enjoy Rick Riordan’s writing, you may also enjoy Stephanie Spinner’s mythological novels. Quicksilver is
Bill Blaney
My thoughts on Quicksilver are quick but positive. I found this to be an enjoyable light read. Which I have not experienced in a while. The Greek mythology background is refreshing. Spinner shows Hermes in a new light as someone with their own priorities and not just some simple minded messenger. I came in to this book already having knowledge about Greek mythology and it's family tree. However any reader and pick this book up and follow along. The story is witty and all the personalities shown ...more
Nancy Purcell
Okay, but not really a recommendation.
Scott Williams
3b79ab6b-253a-4424-bead-806d54b1e200
Sami C
I was such a huge Greek mythology fangirl in high school. So when I found this book at my favorite bookstore, I had to have it.

I enjoyed this spin on Hermes, the messenger of the gods. He is such an underrated character in mythology so it was refreshing to read something centered around him.

The book is humorous enough that I felt compelled to read it all in one sitting. I haven't reread it in quite a few years, though, so perhaps when I go home, I will take it out of its dusty corner in my books
Lucie P
Spinner tells the story of Greek god Hermes, the messenger of Zeus. We follow Hermes as he pursues several missions on behalf of Zeus, all based on Greek mythology, ranging from helping Perseus kill Medusa to freeing Odysseus from Calypso's island. Hermes is witty and the book is an easy, quick, entertaining read. A pleasant surprise was seeing some character development in Hermes, because I did not expect that when I started reading - clearly even immortals have some growing up to do. :)
Nora
Jul 10, 2010 Nora rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th and up boys
I wanted another book to offer my Percy Jackson fans who now love anything about Greek and Roman mythology. This is a series of short stories told by Hermes. It's nice to have another fictional option to offer them. It seemed boring at times to me, but I think boys will love the humorous ways the myths are retold. I'm now anxious to read Quiver since I've heard it's a little better.
Awallens
Hermes is one of the gods, who loves to hear his father Zeus laugh and will go on any mission to make Zeus proud of him. He tells us in this young adult novel his part in many Greek myths including the Trojan War and other such myths. this book was cute and entertaining and parts of it had me laughing out loud merely because Hermes is so funny.
This is a quick read and might get teens interested in mythology if they are so inclined.
Katie
Quicksilver chronicles a handful of events from Greek mythology from the perspective of messenger and trickster god, Hermes. Something about the first person narrator just didn't suit me, and the stories were rather glossed over Otherwise, the reading was quick and light. I can see a number of my middle school students enjoying it, and they are, afterall, the intended audience.
Ana
Nov 06, 2011 Ana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all lovers of Greek mythology
An enjoyable retelling of some of the most memorable moments of Greek mythology, through the eyes of Hermes, the messenger god.

Entertaining and informative, Stephanie Spinner gives Hermes the long overdue credit he deserves. As a Gemini, I loved to learn the many sides of my ruling planet-god. A light weekend read, recommended to all the lovers of Greek mythology out there.
Anna
Aug 21, 2008 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys greek mythology
Recommended to Anna by: myself
This book was amazing. That's the only word I can think of right now to decribe this book. It was amazing. When anyone reads this book, it shows you how life was like as a god. This book lets you slip into the winged sandals of Hermes, and explore the greek mythological ways through his eyes. GREAT BOOK! I recommend it COMPLETELY!
Poppy
An imaginative retelling of a few of the Greek myths told from the point of view of Hermes. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a light read and I didn’t always agree with the author’s interpretation of everything but I found it quite fun to read. It is always nice to see more of Hermes.
Emily
As a greek mythology fan, I found this story of Hermes entertaining and interesting. I liked the personality he was given and the takes on the many common greek mythology stories. My only complaints were that it was rather choppy. Other than that the book was an enjoyable and interesting read.
Amanda Katherine
I enjoyed this books a lot. I wasn't exactly sure what was going to come of it, but I liked that it wasn't just one long story, it was multiple shorter stories of his adventures. I would definately advise this book to anyone who is interested in the Greek mythology and some laughs.
Hillary Ann
I like any story about the Greek Gods and Hermes has always been a particular favorite of mine. His status among the Gods has always struck me as a blessing and a curse. Quicksilver gives us an idea of his tenuous position with Zeus as well as his drive to please his father.
Karen
A lighthearted but entertaining retelling (in first person) of events in the life of the Greek god Hermes (Mercury in the Roman pantheon), the messenger god. I read it it two days -- fun reading. A general knowledge of Greek mythology is helpful but not necessary.
  • The Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #1)
  • Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Iris, Messenger
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • The Night Life of the Gods (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • Ithaka
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • The Immortal Fire (Cronus Chronicles, #3)
  • King of Ithaka
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Anatopsis
  • Radiant Darkness
  • Snakehead
  • Love Underground: Persephone's Tale: (The Goddesses #1)
I was born in Davenport, Iowa, and grew up in Rockaway Beach, New York. I read straight through my childhood, with breaks for food, sleep, and the bathroom. I went to college in Bennington, Vermont, moved to New York City, and took a job in publishing so I could get paid for reading. I read so much bad fiction that I needed a break, so I moved to London, and from there I traveled to Morocco, Iran, ...more
More about Stephanie Spinner...
Quiver Alex the Parrot: No Ordinary Bird: A True Story Aliens for Breakfast Who Was Annie Oakley? Damosel: In Which the Lady of the Lake Renders a Frank and Often Startling Account of her Wondrous Life and Times