Start by marking “Among the Gods” as Want to Read:
Among the Gods

Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings #5)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,736 ratings  ·  133 reviews
Two men pained by the past struggle to reclaim the Heavenly Father they lost long ago in this unforgettable conclusion to the Chronicles of the Kings series. Chronicles of the Kings book 5.
Published June 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Gods

Carrie
This isn't just a story. This truly was a lesson on the forgiveness and love of a Heavenly Father. I'm a visual person and the picture was clearly demonstrated that no matter the depth of our sins God's strong arm of love is long enough to reach us. His desire is not to destroy but to heal.

Another thing I noticed that in each book of this series the author took care in really completing the story leaving you satisfied at the end. So many times I will read a book and it just seems like the autho
Jeanie
If you want to learn more about the Old Testament, you will enjoy reading these books. You also experience the not so difference of our hearts with her characters. How hard it is to forgive, to see God's forgiveness and His grace and mercy. This is a continuation of the Kings of the Old Testament. King Manneseh was the King of Israel's history. Unlike his father, his pride lead him to wickedness and lead his people there as well. Joshua recovering from the death of his father and the prophet Isa ...more
Carleene Hibbs reeder
So good! This is an excellent series! So glad I read them.
Jamie
This book is as good as the first 4 in this series. I loved learning about King Hezekiah's devotion to God in the first three, and it was also very interesting to read about his son's wicked idolatry and how he eventually turned back to seek God. I love how these people's lives are very few verses in the Bible, but through studying other passages, Isaiah's prophecies, and historical data, Austin lengthens the story of these kings.
Brian K.
Another great read from Lynn Austin. I must confess when I started the series I wasn't sure she could pull it all together, however I am happy to report, "I LOVE THE ENTIRE SERIES "Chronicles of the Kings"!

Carrie
As I concluded Lynn Austin's series with this book, I sat amazed at the story she crafted around Biblical truth that - to me - was so brief in the Bible that it was hard to grasp the enormity of what these Kings went through and what they put their people through as they wandered away from the Lord. She brought the characters and the stories of the Bible to life in a way that was absolutely captivating. I couldn't put these books down. The rich characters and the stories created around them were ...more
Jill
The lessons in this series are amazing. I have learned so much and wish I could read more... Thanks Lynn Austin for writing this... We want more like this....
Kaysha

I feel like there should be a 6th book... *sigh* it's over... Now I have to find something else to read. The series was truly captivating.
Heather
What a great series. It was wonderful all that I learned about the history, about the culture, about what it was like to live the Law of Moses, about the Kings and empires of that time, etc. Also, there were such beautiful lessons about forgiveness, trusting in God, different "idols" we build for ourselves, etc.

Great characters, great story. Wonderful.

I will add a little side note...I almost stopped reading this one, which shocked me! I have been loving this series. But this one started out so
Elaine Dransfield
This book wraps up the series of the kings and their sons or how they loose direction, become lost to pride and/or power. This book, however, touched me the most. It gave so many lessons for looking at myself, the kind of person I should become to be worthy of my Savior and the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Each of the books continually focus on the fact that we can be forgiven (although so much evil has been committed by some I wonder, but forgiveness comes from the Lord).

Lynn Austin is a grea
Gloria
May 24, 2014 Gloria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians; historical fiction lovers
The book had three parts. The first part was action packed. Very good introduction and at least to this point, action packed. It does not take much to turn someone against you, as Joshua is learning so far. He called his plan "God's plan", and forced his sister to marry the prince that was with him - when she loved another and that other loved her back. That other then betrayed them to King Manasseh.

The second part seemed to take place over many years. Now Joshua has married Miriam, but througho
Becky
I loved the first three books in this series. I am giving the final two books a 3-star rating because I feel the story really lost steam. Both books will share this review because I felt exactly the same about both of them. The change in characters left me with no previous attachments. Because of that, by the 5th book, I didn’t even care what happened to the annoying characters. Several of them I wanted to slap, and others I wanted to get lost in the wilderness.

I enjoyed portions of the story bu
Louise
Story Description:

Fleeing King Manasseh’s tyranny, Joshua leads the faithful remnant to their new home in Egypt. But as years pass, Joshua’s desire for vengeance becomes an obsession. Blinded by hatred, he makes rash decisions, placing his loved ones in jeopardy.

Amid Joshua’s turmoil comes an unexpected awakening of love – a love that burns so intensely it draws him from the dark inner seclusion where he often retreats. But what will it take for him to grasp the great love his heavenly Father h
Kasi Lou
Virginia
Jul 04, 2012 Virginia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone over 12
Recommended to Virginia by: Christina
Wonderful book about hurt, disappointment, desire for vengeance, and forgiveness--both personal and toward others. Austin has an amazing way of bringing ancient history to life, as well as aligning it with the Scripture accounts. This is action, interesting characters, and helps me visualize the life and times milennia ago. It helped me put the epochs together--Isaiah lived at the time of Manasseh, etc. It depicted the setting of Jerusalem and Egypt so clearly, I felt like I had traveled there. ...more
Ebookwormy
Please see my series review of Chronicles of the Kings as recorded in Book 1 Gods and Kings.

BOOK 5 AMONG THE GODS REVIEW:
In a series that has been largely plot driven, this final installment is heavily character driven. For me, the character renditions of Book 5 were not as compelling as the plot driven books. Part of this may have to do with the fact that the main character, a troubled man, reminded me of someone I knew - it wasn't a favorable reminder.

However, the themes of pushing our will o
Jan
This is book 5 in Lynn Austin's series, Chronicles of the Kings. I found in inspirational, and I enjoyed looking up the scriptural references to verify the facts. Lynn Austin fictionalizes stories of the Old Testament, making the biblical stories come alive, but I have found that she stays with the facts listed in scripture. I really enjoy this author.
CHC94
Wow! I'm really sorry this is the last book in the series. I feel as if I know Joshua and Dinah, and King Massaneh (who needs a good slap to the back of the head), and all the other characters.

I could never get past the "Biblical talk" in the Bible, and was always able to relate to the prose stories. This is no exception. The series really shows how trusting God was important to the Hebrews and how He came through - every time.

In this last book, Joshua's hatred of King Massaneh, how he allows th
Bob Allen
Final part of Manasseh's reign. Joshua and Amariah lead the Levites and priests to Egypt, taking the Ark of the Covenant. They build a replica of the Temple and conduct regular worship. Continuation of the results of anger, revenge, hate. Can Joshua, his adopted son, Nathan, and Manesseh find redemption.
SarahJayne
Just as I have come to expect from the series, Bible characters were once again brought to life in this engaging final instalment. While some of the characters' theological conversations felt at odds with the historical context, this did not mar my appreciation of the otherwise faithful attention to authenticity. King Manasseh, Joshua, Miriam and Nathan are portrayed in an entirely human light. No flaw of character is hidden. No insecurity or doubt is spared from exposure. I felt weak alongside ...more
Katherine
Loved it!

Out of all Austin's books that I have read, I feel that this one had the least rushed ending.

It was actually a very timely book to read, looking at several things I have been thinking about lately:
1 - getting frustrated and angry when God doesn't act the way I think He should
2 - miscarriages and loss (how she addressed this makes me wonder if the author has experienced a miscarriage, she was spot on with how I felt, even though we saw it via a man's perspective).

This is the last one in
Kristi Fleming
One of the things I love about this series is that all the details from the previous books have not been repreated over and over. There are so many emotions expressed in this novel and it is heart wrenching. I also love that the characters are not perfect and this is not a sappy Christian novel. Very well written, bringing the Bible to life.
I'm glad to be finally finished this series, but this book was a bit of a disappointment. It included way more preachiness than the others. I wish the author had stuck to the genuine spirituality of describing the worship at the Temple instead of going on and on about things. Also, the main character's anger and bitterness were carried to the point where they really became annoying! I didn't relate well to him at all -- I just wanted him to get over himself. And when he finally did, the book was ...more
Hal
This is the fifth and final book in Ms. Austin's "Chronicles of the Kings."

Once again the author does a masterful job of telling biblical truth through the use of fiction. She makes the Old Testament characters come alive as she retells the story of God's redemptive power. The crux of her story and the biblical account is the battle between a remnant of Judah led by Joshua and the evil nature and power of King Manasseh, culminating in Manasseha's eventual turn-about.

I highly recommend this serie
Stacy
I just finished this five book, Christian fiction series, and I can't think of enough good things to say about them. I really enjoyed them. I admit that my knowledge of the Old Testament is highly lacking, so it was wonderful to read this fictionalized account of kings such as Ahaz, Hezekiah and Manassah, as well as the prophet Isaiah. There were many other characters and side stories taking place, which just added to the books, to me. I have been reading a lot more lately in both 1 and 2 Kings ...more
Richard Collier
Very Well Written and true to the Spirit of the Word

Lynn Austin did a wonderful job with this story and used excellent research to create a fiction account that could very well be true. She was true to the spirit of the biblical text, that contains God's word.
Sue
This is the last of the Chronicles of the Kings series, and the second half of the story of King Manasseh. This story was engaging and entertaining. The story and character development were much more imaginative than in the second and third of this series. The characters in the second and third were flat and added little to the Biblical story. The fourth and fifth in this series were good stories in their own right.

The entire series caused me to refer to the Biblical accounts and to think about
Traci Matt
I absolutely loved the Chronicles of the Kings series. The stories, settings and characters were compelling, and the messages were profound. Highly recommend.
Summer Schmitz
347 pages.

The final book in the Chronicles of the Kings series. I didn't really want these stories to end. This series started with King Ahaz and then ended with King Mannaseh, that's 3 generations of kings, and 3 generations of story telling. I feel so invested in these families lives and so I'm sad the story has come to an end.

There is redemption no matter how horrible a life you've lived. That is the theme of this entire series I believe. Also, don't let anger, and hatred consume you because
Linda
I am really sorry to reach the end of this series, but very happy that all the loose ends were tied up and the characters returned to fellowship with the Lord. When I read the Bible stories sometimes I wonder how on earth things turned out the way they did...Mannaseh was the most evil of all Judah's kings but all of a sudden he returns to the Lord and ends well. What? How? Why? Lynn Austin not only has a way with words, but her insights into what could possibly have brought these historical fact ...more
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)
  • Third Watch (A. D. Chronicles #3)
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
For many years, Lynn Austin nurtured a desire to write but frequent travels and the demands of her growing family postponed her career. When her husband's work took Lynn to Bogota, Colombia, for two years, she used the B.A. she'd earned at Southern Connecticut State University to become a teacher. After returning to the U.S., the Austins moved to Anderson, Indiana, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and later ...more
More about Lynn Austin...
Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire, #1) Gods and Kings (Chronicles of the Kings, #1) Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2) While We're Far Apart Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)

“You can't serve God by acting contrary to His nature” 3 likes