Start by marking “Maebelle's Hat” as Want to Read:

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Mother was gathering everyone into the barn,and little Willy couldn't understand what the problem was.

Mother Hen said a Nado was coming and everyone needed to go into barn. Whatever a Nado was.

But Maebelle was missing, and Willy decided he
would go after her.
Published May 1st 2010 by Hestand, Rita

To ask other readers questions about Maebelle's Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maebelle's Hat

Sara Tieszen paschal
J picked this one and I was happy to see it was from one of my fave authors. This was cute we both enjoyed it.
Jody
Maebelle's Hat is a short story about the farm animals taking shelter during a tornado. Willy goes to the meadow to get Maebelle the cow & the wind takes her hat. He goes after it as the 'nado' approaches. Maebelle's Hat shows friendship, consideration and concern for friends as lessons to point out as this book is read to young children. It also introduces the subject of what a tornado is and why the animals were taking shelter as a children's science book. Children enjoy hearing stories mo ...more
Danielle Dickey
My granddaughter enjoyed this story.

My granddaughter enjoyed this story.

A GOOD STORY. My granddaughter enjoyed the story and was glad I added it to the library. Why is it one book is never enough at bedtime?
Eileen Carter
Cute

Sweet story of talking animals who have to take cover when a tornado comes up. One little animal goes out bravely to find Maebelle, what an adventure beholds him.
Samantha Bell
Cute

A quick and cute read for the little guys. Fun and happy with lovable barnyard animals. My son seemed to like it.
Darlene
Simple story of a cow, a duck and a hat during storm

This was a delightful story for older readers. The pictures are quite miniscule so rely on the story for its wonderful tale of friendship. The hat places a significant role for a little duck as a hurricane is on the way and this brave duck ventures out into it to save Maebelle whose new hat has her distracted as the storm approaches. I enjoyed this short book but felt it could be further developed in storyline.
Hannah Storant
It's a good book for my little sis Emily she laughed out loud!!!!!

goooooooood book soooooooooo interesting lol lots of fun I rate this book 5 stares my little girl loved it she is 4years old
Roger Royer
Sep 16, 2014 Roger Royer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Roger by: Smashwords
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a very cute children's book that discusses the dangers of "Nado's". The story is cute and fun and mentions the dangers of tornado's. The only issue I have is that to see the pictures in a decent size on my kindle I had to find them on the page and touch the them to enlarge the and even then that only worked some of the time. The book is a fun way to learn about tornado safety.
Angel **Book Junkie**
This was a cute children’s book that I will read to my little ones in the future. This story is about a duck, cow, and a hat and a NADO! If you do not know what a Nado is I suggest you read this story to find out. It was a cute children’s book and a good quick read. I recommend for little one’s especially those interested in learning more about Nado’s!
Nancy
I downloaded several free children's books from amazon.com. The hen tells the other animals a tornado is coming, and all the animals need to get into the barn. A baby duck thinks she said a Nado, and he doesn't know what that means. A cow is missing, and he decides to go out to find her. It's kind of a cute book. Not a favorite!
Joyce Mitchell
by Rita Hestand
Cover Art: Adorable
Cute and creative! A 'nado' was coming and all the little animals were in the barn except for Maebelle so little Willy frantically sets out to find her. Do you think he found her?

Little great-niece enjoyed it so much!
Deidra D Oakley
Ok-ish

this had tiny pictures you could barely see. it had a lot of words but didn't really say a whole lot.
ShaRhonda
Ummm....tornadoes can be a bit of a frightening subject. Especially if you live in Oklahoma. Don't exactly want to encourage hat chasing. But still a cute book.
Cherese A. Vines
Aug 07, 2013 Cherese A. Vines rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 3+
This is a cute little story about a Nado. Don't know what that is? Find out with the characters. My three-year-old liked the story. I recommend for ages 3 and up.
Peacegal
A variety of animals living on a fantasy farm face a tornado. The story was all over the place in this one, and the tornado itself was rather anticlimactic.
Maxamillion
Review

I am giving this book, Maebelle's hat (The Willy Series) by Rita Hestand three stars out of five stars today.
Rachel Nelson
Good story to talk about weather emergency procedures. Nothing is more important than your safety.
RoseAnn Bruns Zimmerman
My niece just loves this book!! We read it over and over again!! Super
Katy Brandes
Cute little animal warning about 'nado awareness.
April
Cute book for kids!!
Ida Keith
I really like this book
  • I'm Just Like You (Cougar Cub Tales)
  • Garbage! Monster! Burp!
  • Henry Burp - Mind Your Manners
  • If You Have A Hat. A Silly Rhyming Picture Book For Children
  • Squidge: Little Elf, Big Trouble
  • What The Fox Learnt: Four Fables from Aesop
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • My Little Pet Dragon (A fun picture book for children 3-6!)
  • The Best Pet of All
  • The Elephant's Child
  • Lily Lemon Blossom: Welcome to Lily's Room
  • Evergreen A Christmas Tale
  • Princess Diadora: Just an Ordinary Ballerina
  • The Bee Bully
  • Little Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hood
  • Arthur's Teacher Moves In: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Girls to the Rescue #1 (Happily Ever After)
  • Mrs. Gorski, I Think I Have The Wiggle Fidgets
By now most of you know that Rita Hestand is from Texas, that she's a widow, a mother, and a grandmother. You know that she was an only child, and that she traveled the US as a child extensively. What made her a writer was the fact that she was an only child growing up in an age when a kid had to use their imagination to entertain themselves. You probably know that she acted out her first books in ...more
More about Rita Hestand...
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Heart Of The Wild (Amory's, #1) Raining in My Heart (McKays, #1) Hannah's Man Along Came Love