Start by marking “Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse #1)” as Want to Read:
Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse #1)

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  3,213 ratings  ·  790 reviews
Jackie Morse Kessler's Riders of the Apocalypse series follows teens who are transformed into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. In "Hunger," Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she's been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Traveling the world on ...more
Published October 18th 2010 by Harcourt Brace and Company

Jackie Kessler
Feb 22, 2012 Jackie Kessler added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-it
What can I say? If I didn't love it, I wouldn't have written it. :)

HUNGER was brewing for 10 years before I finally sat down to write it. And then it all came pouring out. It was cathartic. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.

A portion of proceeds will be donated to the National Eating Disorders Association. So if you buy this book -- thank you for helping to make a difference!
karen

five stars for INtent, three stars for CONtent.

so the premise of this book is that an anorexic teenage girl is chosen to fill the office of Famine. yeah, Famine - as in four horsemen of the apocalypse Famine. that one. awesome, right? as someone who de-voured all of piers anthony's "incarnations of immortality" books as a teen, this is right up my alley. (incidentally - for fans of that series - did you even know that a "new" one came out a few years ago that he self-published?? Under a Velvet
Kristen
I am confused as to the overall arc of this series. And I am confused by Death telling our main character that she can die or be Famine and then when she doesn't want to be Famine anymore he just lets her out of it and she doesn't die. Maybe I missed something (although it would be hard to do that given how short the book was).

This book was not what I expected. It was a trip through the mind of someone with an eating disorder. Although it wasn't as horrible as I would have expected (especially
Rachel Caine
I got tremendously lucky and had an opportunity to read an advance copy of HUNGER. I can say without exaggeration that I *loved* this book. It was fierce, uncompromising, fun, shocking, private, painful and beautiful, and I feel very privileged to have seen it early.

Jackie's written a book that is as intense as anything I've ever had the good fortune of reading, and I think that in addition to being a great book, this is also a very personal book, full of raw power.

I wish I'd written it.

AtenRa
"Thou art Famine,yo."

How can you not love a book that has that line in it?It's impossible!
When I first read Hunger's summary, I thought that that is the book for me.I love the Four Horseman/Apocalypse/Harbinger stories and I was so excited to read this,I can't even tell you!To be honest, I was expecting it to be more to the paranormal/supernatural side and it-surprisingly-wasn't, and thank God for that because I find that the matter it approaches is way more important than any paranormal story,
Donna
I don't normally set expectations for things because if whatever it is doesn't live up to those expectations, you have no one to blame but yourself. So outside of reasonable expectations, I don't go into things like, say, most books, all ramped up for it thinking it was going to be something great. Usually. Unfortunately I did that with this one and, sad to say, my expectations were not lived up to. My bad.

I guess going in the concept I had brewing of an anorexic girl as Famine was beyond what t
V.E.
Rating: One and a Half
Frankly, I think I wasted my time with this book. The premise seemed so interesting and after I read about it on a book blog, I decided to check it out at the library.

I like the way the author was able to get inside Lisa's head to show us how her mind worked. I found it very believable and easy to relate to. The was also a message, albeit not very stong, against eating disorders and such.

But what was wrong?

Well, first of all, I was irked by the author's intrusions. She wo
Hayden
HUNGER makes WINTERGIRLS look like TWILIGHT . . . but worse. Just throw in a little Apocalyptic lore and you're good to go!

It's really interesting to get inside the head of a girl with an eating disorder. Jackie really knows what she's talking about; she actually went through it herself. (Not for long, but it happened!) Overall, I just loved it, from the Famine aspects and the eating disorder aspects. I just loved the whole thing from beginning to end.

The only thing that angered me a little was
Heather
Feb 28, 2011 Heather rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Tiffany's b.o.b pick
This book read like a very bad after school special or Lifetime movie of the week. The narration was overly preachy. I couldn't help but think it was meant to be a collage essay on the pitfalls of eating disorders, the hunger in the world, and how wasteful humans are when it comes to food. But,with the added element of sci-fiction.

Lisabeth Lewis was one of the most annoying characters. I include the Four Horsemen in that statement as well. Kurt Cobain as one of the horsemen took this book to a
Alyssa
"My job?" Lisa said as Death helped her to her feet. She was a seventeen-year-old high school junior in the suburbs; she didn't have a job.

"Thou art Famine, yo," Death said. "Time to make with the starvation." (pg49)

Realistic but unique? Funny but dark? Hunger sounds promising right?

It does – Kessler's book certainly has an exciting premise. The basic overlay of 2010’s popular debut is simply a twist that incorporates teenage eating disorders into the biblical myth of the Horsemen of the Apocal
Torzilla
Hunger is a compelling tale that eloquently captures the mindset of a person suffering from an eating disorder. From page one I found myself captivated by the text, unable to put it down to eat. There's something almost ironic about admitting that.

Readers are introduced to Lisa, the new Famine. I've always been interested in the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. They're one of those concepts that are fun to talk about, but nobody every really explored further, much to my chagrin. When I heard Larissa
Tina
Original review at One More Page

I cannot imagine myself having an eating disorder. I love food too much, and I can't imagine not eating. Of course, when I lost all the extra weight, I was careful to follow my nutritionist's advice and keep myself well-fed to keep my metabolism up. I guess I'm blessed enough not to be too conscious of how fat/thin I look, and that I had good friends and people around me who always kept me in check.

But that doesn't mean that I have never had encounters with any ea
Raechella
I deem it unnecessary to be forlorn if you are plumpish or whatsoever, as long as you’re not excessively fat. Trust me; looking healthy is much better than looking sickly. Do you even think you’ll look good without enough flesh or curves to fit into your clothes?

According to statistics, In the United States alone, it has been estimated that 8 million people have an eating disorder—7 million goes to women while the remaining 1 million goes to men. One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia,
Inge
What a bad-ass premise. A teenage girl, Lisa, is dealing with depression and anorexia and is summoned to be one of the Four Horseman of the Apocolypse. Guess which one? Famine. Duh.
Through her adventures as Famine, she sees the gluttony as well as the starvation and poverty in the world, which gives her some perspective on the nature of humans, as well as her own fears and desires concerning food. Lisa finds her own strength and her ability to spread destruction as well as aid to others. She lea
Sesana
Hunger is almost like two books in a small (180 page) package. There's the paranormal fantasy with a somewhat unusual premise, and then there's the YA issue novel. They only barely come together as a whole, and it's the issue aspect that makes this book worth reading.

Lisa is anorexic, and in denial. Her turning point comes when Death (here cast as essentially Kurt Cobain) gives her the job of Famine. Yes, the Horseman of the Apocalypse. It was this fantasy aspect that I felt was a little weak. I
Melissa
Mike Mullin
Insane genius in a slender paperback. I read it at one sitting and cried my way through the end of chapter 17 and most of chapter 18. If those bits don't make you cry too, you may not be a parent or child. Easily ranks with Before I Fall and You as one of the best books I've read this year.
Brynne Shelton
Honestly, I didn't expect to like this book so much. I just got it from the library because lately I've had an obsession with the Horsemen of Apocalypse. But I related to Lisa in a way I wouldn't have expected.

I'm not sure about the length though. I mean it's nice not to have trudged my way through relational angst that authors think might have to do with character development or something, but I don't know, it seems like there could have been... more. A lot more. At least more Death, because he
Crystal
Why I read this: Since my teens I have had a fascination with the book of Revelation and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are very much a part of that book. So it was a given when I heard there would be a book series based on the Four Horsemen I was intrigued. Add to that dealing with hard teenage issues and I was definitely in.

How is the novel driven: Character, this is all about Lisabeth and her coming to terms with her own self and her problems.

My thoughts: A fascinating and short book. Bu
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Hunger follows Lisa, a teenage girl who doesn’t want to admit she is anorexic. She calorie counts & sometimes doesn’t even eat. Lisa has been trying to hide her food issues from everyone around her, even her boyfriend. But after a nasty fight with her boyfriend, Lisa tries to kill herself but Death comes to her & appoints her Famine. At first Lisa thinks it was a hallucination due to the drugs she used to try & kill herself, until she sees her horse & a mysterious scale appearing ...more
K
Death just hired a new Famine. Lisa, a seventeen year old anorexic high school student, is the newest Horseman of the Apocalypse, the new Black Rider. Perks include a black steed, a set of scales, and the chance to visit distant (if awful) locales.

This was a short book and a quick read. It took a while to warm to Lisa. It wasn’t until the very end that I started to care about what might happen to her because I didn’t really know where the story was going. Was it going to be a story about eating
Vicky N.
Jackie Morse Kessler weaves a dramatic YA read about a real subject that in today's world where appearances are everything is killing many people, coated with a bit of fantasy and just enough humour she writes about the 4 Horsemen of Apocalypse and what would happen if an anorexic girl was chosen as Famine, the Dark Rider.

Hunger is an enthralling read that talks about the struggle of a girl with her body, after been caught in a catch-22 situation by Death she finds herself engrossed by her job a
Christine
In this novel, the author writes a modern story about a teenage girl struggling with anorexia and ties her story to the biblical mythology of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Seventeen year old Lisabeth is anorexic and while she thinks she's in control of it all, she's really spiraling further into trouble. No one seems to understand her anymore--not her parents, her best friend or even her boyfriend, and she feels as if everyone is sabotaging her road to happiness. The only one who doesn't ...more
Chapter by Chapter
"If you have ever looked in the mirror and hated what you saw, this book is for you" ... Upon opening the book, and seeing that message I was already hooked.

The premise of this book is what initially caught my attention. Actually, the premise of all the books in this series is what caught my attention. Troubled teens being turned into the Riders of the Apocalypse? Sounded like a pretty cool idea to me.
Jackie Morse Kessler opens the eyes of the reader into the world of eating disorders, providin
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Lisa can never escape the thin voice. It screeches and tears at her - telling her how fat she is; counting the calories in one chocolate chip cookie; calculating the number of minutes on the exercise bike.

No matter how thin she is, it's never enough. Lisa's anorexia spirals out of control; she swallows a handful of her mother's antidepressants. That's when Death comes for her.

He doesn't want her soul - not just yet. Instead, he bequeaths a gift. Lisa will
Steph Su
HUNGER is a succinct but powerful tale with mythological undertones, yet a very relevant modern topic. Jackie Morse Kessler weaves together old-style storytelling with contemporary charm to create a memorable and 100% fascinating read.

HUNGER draws on mythology, but its fairy-tale-like feel comes from much more than just its premise: it’s the way Kessler writes the story. Lisa’s conflicting emotions never feel forced: Kessler’s choice of words, their rhythm and their placement, portray that for u
Tracey
Previously read March 2011 - re-read as prep for sequel Rage

While the concept is nothing new - humans becoming a power/concept/force of nature incarnate (see Piers Anthony's On A Pale Horse & the rest of the Incarnations of Immortality, Death in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and, for that matter - the 4 Horsemen in Pratchett & Gaiman's Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch) I think Morse Kessler's twist on the idea is intriguing. An anorexic girl is ta
Jan
This book is a tough one to review. I really enjoyed the book until the end. It just didn't feel right. The heroine's struggle with anorexia is very well written, and I could tell even before reading the author's note at the end, that she had suffered from an eating disorder too. I loved this book for the message and I think it was a brilliant idea, but I was just really disappointed with the ending.
Christopher
An interesting read with a great premise. A departure from the usual paranormal/supernatural YA junk cluttering the shelves, Hunger deals with the issue of anorexia under the guise of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. A Kurt Cobain- spouting Death hottie makes this an interesting and irresistible read.
Kevin Hearne
Wow. This book got to me. It's really, really good. So good I pre-ordered Rage, book two. Definitely worth your time & money.
Incarnations of Immortality, the next generation? 3 21 Apr 03, 2011 08:00PM
  • Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars, #1)
  • Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)
  • She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, #1)
  • Guardian of the Dead
  • Manifest (Mystyx, #1)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Enchanted Ivy
  • Voices of Dragons
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me #1-2)
  • Past Midnight (Past Midnight, #1)
  • The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1)
  • Stork (Stork, #1)
  • Black and White (The Icarus Project, #1)
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
  • Sirenz (Sirenz #1)
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1)
  • Fallout (The Phoenix Files, #5)
Some kids want to grow up to be doctors, or movie stars, or political assassins. Me, I wanted to draw comic books. Not Archie comics, either—superhero comic books. Maybe it was all the heavily muscled guys in spandex…

Around the time I was 15, I realized that as much as I enjoyed drawing (note that I’m saying nothing about the quality of those pics), it was a lot of fun putting words in the charact
More about Jackie Kessler...

Riders of the Apocalypse (4 books)
  • Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)
  • Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse, #3)
  • Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)
Hell's Belles (Hell on Earth, #1) Black and White (The Icarus Project, #1) The Road to Hell (Hell on Earth, #2) Shades of Gray (The Icarus Project, #2) Hotter Than Hell (Hell on Earth, #3)

“Living means constantly growing closer to death. Satisfaction only temporarily relieves hunger. Find the balance, and plant your feet.” 39 likes
“IF YOU HAVE EVER LOOKED IN THE MIRROR