Start by marking “Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?” as Want to Read:
Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?

Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  4,318 ratings  ·  97 reviews
The publication of Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What DoYou See?and Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? completes the bear book beginning reader series. Now, children can read allfour books on their own in thisspecial format.
With the important pre-reading concepts of rhyme, rhythm, and repetition, these picture books have long been used as beginning readers.The new6 x 9 trim
Published January 18th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?

Sarah Adamson
Beautifully illustrated, nice choice of animals and easy words for my beginner reader. Probably the first book she has read 90% of by herself!
Desiree Schirg
This book is a sequel to the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?. In this story a baby bear is in search of finding it's mother. The baby bear meets many North American animals that appear along the way. Many of these animals are not familiar animals to younger students such as a blue heron or mule deer. I can see students wanting to research and learn more about these unfamiliar animals and it introduces new vocabulary to students. The descriptive words in the book enhance the imagery ...more
Leah
Another beautiful and simple story by Bill Martin.
Allison
I read Brown Bear, Brown Bear before but I didn't know there was a sequel. I actually like this one better then the original. The original had some colors on animals that were very common. In this one he made the baby bear see animals that exist and in their native colors. He was also using some animals that aren't well-known amongst children like the mule deer and the blue heron. They talk a lot about squirrels but not flying squirrels. I liked how the story always comes full circle back to the ...more
Jen Goeden
The story Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See is about what different animals see.

The book is taller than it is wide with a rectangle shape. It is a hardcover book with a book jacket. The book jacket looks just like the cover but the flips have some information on them. On the front flip it tells what the story is about and on the back one lists some other books that the author and illustrator did together. The end papers of the book are all different colors which form a pattern. The pattern
Tony Montez
Summary
this book is involves many different animals telling what they see. It starts off with what the baby bear sees, he sees the red fox, which sees the flying squirrel who sees the mountain goat, and so on. At the very end the mama bear describes what she sees and it is all of the animal’s named in the story staring at her, and that is what she sees.

Response
I rate this book a 3 out of 5 stars. There was not much to the story I felt like and I didn’t really feel like there was much of an under
Athena
Okay, the thing about this review is that the edition I read isn't on Good Reads, so this could be a misleading review. I have the one that's only eight pages long, made of cloth, and when I give it five stars I'm especially thinking about how I enjoyed the physicality of it when I was younger. And since it's such a truncated version, it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on any other version, but now that I'm older I think it doesn't have enough stuff in it.
Aubrey Thorne
Genre: predictable book

Annotation:Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? is the final collaboration fromthis bestselling author-illustrator team.Young readers will enjoy Baby Bear’s quest to findMama, and they’ll revel in identifying each of the native North American animals that appear along the way. The central focus on the special bond between mama and baby makes a fitting finale to a beloved series. Now in board-book format for the youngest readers.

Themes: animals, repetitive phrases, Animal
Amber
Uh oh! Baby Bear has been separated from his mother, but as he journeys to reunite with her, he comes across all kinds of other animals!

Baby Bear, Baby Bear is a super cute children’s picture book. With colorful full-page illustrations and easy words in large print, it is the perfect book to engage and delight your young ones. I was glad that a blue heron was featured in the book. I see them all the time at parks and they are amazing creatures. Along with a variety of animals, this book teaches
Megan Mccormick
i have always loved eric carle and this book was so cute to read. I read it out loud to my little niece and nephew and they loved it. i love the illustration and how there not just plain ordinary animals, they are teaching kids about new animals such as a blue heron or mountain goat. all animals besides a cat, dog or a pig, or most farm animals.
Ricky Ordway
Very cute book to follow up on Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Shows the way different animals see each other and has great illustrations. Not very involved in the story department but it still serves its purpose. It ends on a happy note with mama bear and recaps all of the animals. Nice for a take a break and transition book for the kids.
Jane
This is a great book for fans of the classic "Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?" This book focuses on the actions of the different animals, i.e. running, digging, flying, climbing, etc.
Melissa Frentsos
I personally prefer the original "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" but this one is not bad. It has more descriptive words and unique animals to discuss. Eric Carle's paintings are gorgeous as usual.
Sam
With Carle's illustrations and Martin's precise writing, this book is a sure winner for that younger crowd. It also makes an excellent book base for a felt board activity!
Kim
Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle team up for a last time in this picture book focused on 10 North American animals they would like to see remain wild and free in their habitats. The fantastic artistry and predictable rhyming scheme draw readers into this beautiful book. The descriptive words provide enhance the imagery of how these animals travel in their habitats.

I enjoyed the beautiful art work and found the simple rhyming scheme poetic. The use of various literary device, such as alliteration a
Mallory Hall
I'm not a huge fan of Eric Carle's art and I would tend to avoid his stuff until I read Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life. That book urged me to introduce my daughter to a variety of art to see which SHE prefers. So I picked this one up at the library.

She loves the book. I liked it as well. My favorite aspect is that it names animals that aren't found in other books (heron, screech owl, flying squirrel) which gives her new vocabulary.
Betsy
same cadence as the other in the series,
my son likes all of the animals and
the repetition.

beautiful eric carle drawings.
Anna
"Mule Deer, Mule Deer" sounds funny when you say it out loud.:)

Making my way.

P.S. Eric Carle is great! Some animals look hysterical.:D
Cosette
Great. A treat. Em "read" half, I read the other half.
Allie Redmon
I love this book and have since I received it as gift from a teacher that I did an internship with. This book is wonderful for children in preschool - 2nd grades. This book is about a baby bear who is on the quest to find his mommy. I love this story line it talks about all of the animals in the forest, as baby bear is looking for his mom. The illustrations are amazing in this book they have detail but are not over to detailed. I think this is a great book to use when you are teaching about the ...more
Michelle
Some obscure animal choices...
Emily
Read in 2002
babyhippoface
Young readers appreciate the repetition in Bill Martin's "bear" books, and according to a note in the book, this new edition of Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? has been reformatted just for them. The smaller sized book is easier for little hands to hold as they read about ten North American animals and learn to identify both the animals and their names. An appendix includes notes for parents and teachers along with activities for children to continue reading practice.
Ashley Cousin
When you first look at this book you instantly notice the bright yellow background and two brown bears on the cover sleeve, which is the exact same thing you would see on the cover. On the end pages one sees a very colorful and fun design that looks like it was created from paint. The pictures throughout the book are of one particular animal (besides the last page) that takes up both of the pages. They bleed through the pages and are very colorful and fun for little kids.
Kathy
Jun 17, 2009 Kathy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hikers, campers, fishers
We like this one at my house. It basically follows the structure of Brown Bear, Brown Bear but this one only includes North American animals. Since we like to hike, there are many we have seen. Not a thrilling tale, but a nice book for remembering past trips. John "reads" the last page, which is a summary of all the animals, by naming the pictures. This makes him feel smart.

John's favorite part: The blue heron because he saw one on his last fishing trip.
Sara Larson
Summary: In this story paired with beautiful Eric Carle art, a baby bear describes what he sees. each page begins with, "Baby bear, baby bear what do you see?" Baby bear responds with a rhyming verse about the different types of animals he sees. The book is full of beautiful animal pictures.
Genre: Modern Folktale
Age: 2-8 years
Reflection: My little boys both loved this story. I think the rhyming and the beautiful pictures were what was so appealing to them.
Jessica Minnoia
This book is about a baby bear who sees different animals. Each page asks the animal what do you see and they answer and on the following page is a picture of that animal.
This would be a great guided reading book or an independent book because it uses a lot of repetition and the pictures on the following page would help a reader tremendously.
This would also make a nice read-aloud to a Pre-K class or young child learning about their colors.
Shana Berschler
I believe this is a great teaching tool for children, enjoyable, bright, and entertaining! The repetition throughout the book helps young readers understand the plot and learn words. The excitement of different animals throughout the pages brings suspense to children. The illustrations are bright, entertaining, and extremely bold. I think this story is a great book for children.
Sabrina
I love all Eric Carle books. They are great predictable story rhymes that younger children would enjoy. The simple words are easy for the children to comprehend and follow along with. I used props with this book in my pre-k classroom and the children loved it. Each child was an animal from the book. As I got to their animal they would hold up their mask and act it out.
Elizabeth K.
Very popular with us ... it was fun to see 18 month old Lu kind of recognize the pattern of the story (sort of a "hey, I know this scene" thing) and I enjoy it quite a bit myself because it includes a flying squirrel. Weirdly, I have also started giving it as a gift to babies of friends overseas because it's a nice way to showcase North American animals.
  • Hello, Red Fox
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Bear Wants More
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Dinosaur Roar! Board Book
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC