Start by marking “Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?” as Want to Read:
Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?

Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? (Bill Martin's Bears #4)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  5,320 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
The publication of Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? and Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? completes the bear book beginning reader series. Now, children can read all four books on their own in this special format.
With the important pre-reading concepts of rhyme, rhythm, and repetition, these picture books have long been used as beginning readers. The new 6 x
Published January 18th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?

One more, please!
We are big fans of Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See , so when we found this version with Baby Bear we knew we'd be in for a treat. This is cute and my kids enjoyed the different animals that Baby Bear sees along his journey.
Desiree Schirg
Jan 26, 2015 Desiree Schirg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is a sequel to the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?. In this story a baby bear is in search of finding it's mother. The baby bear meets many North American animals that appear along the way. Many of these animals are not familiar animals to younger students such as a blue heron or mule deer. I can see students wanting to research and learn more about these unfamiliar animals and it introduces new vocabulary to students. The descriptive words in the book enhance the imagery ...more
SaraLaLa
Jul 30, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Pretty much a standard Eric Carl book. It provides a good list of a variety of animals and verbs.
Sarah Adamson
Jan 05, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated, nice choice of animals and easy words for my beginner reader. Probably the first book she has read 90% of by herself!
Leah
Another beautiful and simple story by Bill Martin.
Paula
Feb 10, 2017 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young audiences will appreciate this appealing rhythmic tale that begins with a frightened Baby Bear searching for his mother. From his treetop perch he sees a red fox. He asks the Red Fox what he sees. Red Fox replies that he sees another animal. Thusly, more animals are introduced (ten North American varieties in all) each responding to the question, “…what do you see?” Finally, the Screech Owl sees Mama Bear who repeats all the animals previously shown ending with her own relieved Baby Bear. ...more
Alex
Dec 05, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful little story by Bill Martin Jr. With illustrations by Eric Carle, the reader gets to enjoy the beautiful curiosity of a bear cub and mother bear. The fun rhythm of the story follows the bear and her cub seeing other animals. I loved the story, and absolutely loved the beautiful illustrations by Eric Carl that accompanied it!
Melody Harmon
Feb 19, 2017 Melody Harmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books are so cute. They offer beginning info to children about zooology. It is easy enough to read that it helped my son because more confident in what he could read.
Cara Byrne
A sweet twist on a beloved book.
Kendra
My son Miles absolutely loves this series of books. He has memorized the first book that we all love and hold dear, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?"

Read more of my review:
Yanel Plata
It seems that baby bear is on his quest to find his mother but along the way he runs into other animals. Baby bear is identifying the appearance and the type of animals he is encountering. On his first encounter he asks the animal his infamous question throughout this book “what do you see?” As he his making his way through the wildlife each animal identifies the next animal. With these animals doing so they lead him to the path of finding his Mama bear.

This picture book helps the reader(s) eng
Tony Montez
Summary
this book is involves many different animals telling what they see. It starts off with what the baby bear sees, he sees the red fox, which sees the flying squirrel who sees the mountain goat, and so on. At the very end the mama bear describes what she sees and it is all of the animal’s named in the story staring at her, and that is what she sees.

Response
I rate this book a 3 out of 5 stars. There was not much to the story I felt like and I didn’t really feel like there was much of an under
Jen Goeden
The story Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See is about what different animals see.

The book is taller than it is wide with a rectangle shape. It is a hardcover book with a book jacket. The book jacket looks just like the cover but the flips have some information on them. On the front flip it tells what the story is about and on the back one lists some other books that the author and illustrator did together. The end papers of the book are all different colors which form a pattern. The pattern
Allison
Jul 04, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Brown Bear, Brown Bear before but I didn't know there was a sequel. I actually like this one better then the original. The original had some colors on animals that were very common. In this one he made the baby bear see animals that exist and in their native colors. He was also using some animals that aren't well-known amongst children like the mule deer and the blue heron. They talk a lot about squirrels but not flying squirrels. I liked how the story always comes full circle back to the ...more
Amber
Uh oh! Baby Bear has been separated from his mother, but as he journeys to reunite with her, he comes across all kinds of other animals!

Baby Bear, Baby Bear is a super cute children’s picture book. With colorful full-page illustrations and easy words in large print, it is the perfect book to engage and delight your young ones. I was glad that a blue heron was featured in the book. I see them all the time at parks and they are amazing creatures. Along with a variety of animals, this book teaches
Max Hicks
"Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?" is very uniquely illustrated and written children's book. The book starts with a mama bear asking her child, the baby bear, what they see. Once the baby bear responds with what they see whatever was pointed at is then asked and so on and so forth. This book is fantastic for early readers because the illustrations and the text tell a story simultaneously. The way the book is written also follows a specific pattern which is very soothing to read and makes i ...more
Mallory Hall
May 28, 2012 Mallory Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I'm not a huge fan of Eric Carle's art and I would tend to avoid his stuff until I read Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life. That book urged me to introduce my daughter to a variety of art to see which SHE prefers. So I picked this one up at the library.

She loves the book. I liked it as well. My favorite aspect is that it names animals that aren't found in other books (heron, screech owl, flying squirrel) which gives her new vocabulary.
Kim
Nov 04, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 4-8
Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle team up for a last time in this picture book focused on 10 North American animals they would like to see remain wild and free in their habitats. The fantastic artistry and predictable rhyming scheme draw readers into this beautiful book. The descriptive words provide enhance the imagery of how these animals travel in their habitats.

I enjoyed the beautiful art work and found the simple rhyming scheme poetic. The use of various literary device, such as alliteration a
Aubrey Thorne
Oct 12, 2014 Aubrey Thorne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slib-520
Genre: predictable book

Annotation:Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? is the final collaboration fromthis bestselling author-illustrator team.Young readers will enjoy Baby Bear’s quest to findMama, and they’ll revel in identifying each of the native North American animals that appear along the way. The central focus on the special bond between mama and baby makes a fitting finale to a beloved series. Now in board-book format for the youngest readers.

Themes: animals, repetitive phrases, Animal
Karen Dransfield
Apr 09, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I am reading a list of books, and playing trailer tag with the books. Each time I read one, I see what other recommendations Good Reads suggest. I'd just finished another Bill Martin Jr. and another Eric Carle book so this came up. So now I'm just going to read all the picture books of both of them.

This is part of a series of books by Bill Martin Jr. where a bear is asked what do they see. This is the last one which looks at North American animals using Baby Bear and the one being asked. Lovely
Shelley
My Rating:
Summary:
Baby Bear climbs up a tree and spies a fox, a flying squirrel, a mountain goat, a blue heron, a prairie dog and many other animals of the forest.
Rationale:
I love Bill Martin's and Eric Carle's stories. Eric Carle has such a unique style that appears to look like paper cut-outs. Eric Carle uses paints and chalk on paper and then takes the different pieces and puts them all together as a collage to form the animals in the story. His art is so unique and loved by many.

T
Sadie Devin
Oct 14, 2015 Sadie Devin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230b
This book was a good read especially for younger children that are being read to or learning to read themselves. The pictures are simple but large across both pages. This book helps children connect animals with their colors and characteristics. It also has a rhyming sequence to it so children are able to follow along then see all of the animals together at the end of the book after Momma bear has been spotted and recalls all of the animals she spotted with her baby bear being the last one to en ...more
Allie Redmon
I love this book and have since I received it as gift from a teacher that I did an internship with. This book is wonderful for children in preschool - 2nd grades. This book is about a baby bear who is on the quest to find his mommy. I love this story line it talks about all of the animals in the forest, as baby bear is looking for his mom. The illustrations are amazing in this book they have detail but are not over to detailed. I think this is a great book to use when you are teaching about the ...more
McKenzie
Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What do you see if about all different kinds of animals that would live close to bears and the mama bear is asking the baby what he sees. It starts with the bear and when he says what he sees, it moves onto that animal and asks what it sees and so on and so forth. It is a really cute picture book that is easy for little kids to read if they are just beginning reading and they would love to see all the different animals in the book. The illustrations are also really cute and ...more
Athena
Apr 25, 2014 Athena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, the thing about this review is that the edition I read isn't on Good Reads, so this could be a misleading review. I have the one that's only eight pages long, made of cloth, and when I give it five stars I'm especially thinking about how I enjoyed the physicality of it when I was younger. And since it's such a truncated version, it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on any other version, but now that I'm older I think it doesn't have enough stuff in it.
Kathy
Jun 17, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hikers, campers, fishers
We like this one at my house. It basically follows the structure of Brown Bear, Brown Bear but this one only includes North American animals. Since we like to hike, there are many we have seen. Not a thrilling tale, but a nice book for remembering past trips. John "reads" the last page, which is a summary of all the animals, by naming the pictures. This makes him feel smart.

John's favorite part: The blue heron because he saw one on his last fishing trip.
babyhippoface
Young readers appreciate the repetition in Bill Martin's "bear" books, and according to a note in the book, this new edition of Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? has been reformatted just for them. The smaller sized book is easier for little hands to hold as they read about ten North American animals and learn to identify both the animals and their names. An appendix includes notes for parents and teachers along with activities for children to continue reading practice.
Jessica Minnoia
Feb 05, 2010 Jessica Minnoia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a baby bear who sees different animals. Each page asks the animal what do you see and they answer and on the following page is a picture of that animal.
This would be a great guided reading book or an independent book because it uses a lot of repetition and the pictures on the following page would help a reader tremendously.
This would also make a nice read-aloud to a Pre-K class or young child learning about their colors.
Ashley Cousin
When you first look at this book you instantly notice the bright yellow background and two brown bears on the cover sleeve, which is the exact same thing you would see on the cover. On the end pages one sees a very colorful and fun design that looks like it was created from paint. The pictures throughout the book are of one particular animal (besides the last page) that takes up both of the pages. They bleed through the pages and are very colorful and fun for little kids.
Dave Lester
Bill Martin, Jr and Eric Carle's final book in the "Bear" series is another gem even if the freshness which came from the original "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you See?" is less. The format is the same with different animals being introduced that are seeing other animals. Eventually, we come across the mama bear who is eye balling all of the characters in the book.

The artwork is a set up from the original and if you liked the original book, one cannot go wrong with this one.
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Bear Wants More
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • The Three Snow Bears
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....

Bill Martin's Bears (4 books)
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?