Start by marking “Consumer Detox: Less Stuff, More Life” as Want to Read:
Consumer Detox: Less Stuff, More Life

Consumer Detox: Less Stuff, More Life

In this book, Mark Powley shows how consumerism contradicts the life and teachings of Jesus and gives you advice on how to break out of consumerist culture to embrace a deeper and more generous life. Follow along in a three-part deconstruction of today's full-throttle existence to build the kind of life that Jesus modeled.
Published January 4th 2011 by Zondervan (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Consumer Detox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consumer Detox

Phil Whittall
May 26, 2016 Phil Whittall rated it really liked it
For the sake of full disclosure I should come clean that the author of this book is a good friend of mine and we're involved in Breathe together so it's a privilege to review his first book and it's a project I've been involved in from it's earliest drafts.

In a recent article on 'The Tyranny of Choice' the author of The Economist article devotes a paragraph to the 'voluntary simplicity' movement which must surely include Breathe of which Mark was one of the founders. The Economist says this move
Samuel
Mar 07, 2013 Samuel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I entered into reading this book hoping for a list of practical things to do. That is not this book. However, and more importantly, it aims at what is at the heart (our heart) of the matter. It's an easy read and well worth it, and the end of the book does give some practical tips for moving away from a consumer mentality.
Caedi
Jul 23, 2012 Caedi rated it really liked it
Honestly? Why can't we give half starts? It deserves 4.5 stars! Apart from a few tiny things, I loved this book! I want everybody to read it so we can start a club! Seriously, the world needs a required reading list. Earth, I am assigning homework. Finish this book, and your assessment on it will be to change the world. I expect this to be finished by Friday.
Candace
Dec 10, 2015 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book to read going into 2016. This is much more than a book about not spending so much money. It gets to the heart of consumerism and how it affects everything in our lives. Highly recommend!
Paula
Jun 07, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
Good book with some really interesting things to consider in our culture of "stuff". My only complaint would be that there wasnt as much actual practical advice, just more in the abstract regarding what we should aim for. Overall a good eye opening read.
Alex
Jul 06, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: theology

While the author had some good things to say, I found the writing style very hard to read. Really 3 one sentence paragraphs in a row. I just ended skimming parts of the book. He had some good points, I just wish his writing was more linear and readable.
Rachel
Apr 22, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book highly enough! Brilliant, witty, easy to read, rich theology. love love love it.
Rose
Good book. Quick read. Deals with issues greater than consumerism (which is a big issue in itself). Very encouraging, hopeful, and practical.
Matthew
Apr 10, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
Practical and interesting with some real and helpful information about the advertising industry. A great read.
Brad Konemann
Brad Konemann rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Carter Hemphill
Carter Hemphill rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Emily Karanges
Emily Karanges rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Robbie
Robbie rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Alan Myers
May 11, 2012 Alan Myers rated it really liked it
Should be required reading in school.
Lyndsay Drury
Lyndsay Drury rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
KadyWrites
KadyWrites rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2012
Dawn Araujo-Hawkins
Dawn Araujo-Hawkins rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2011
Katie Toghill
Katie Toghill rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Brett
Brett rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2011
Sarah Kind
Sarah Kind rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Lisa Whitlow
Lisa Whitlow rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Brianna Haynes
Brianna Haynes rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Martin Baggs
Martin Baggs rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
C. Jellie
C. Jellie rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Dan Leng
Dan Leng rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Neil Hollow
Sep 11, 2012 Neil Hollow rated it really liked it
Very good with an important message fro Christians.
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

“Consumerism is the great force shaping our society. We don’t just happen to go shopping from time to time – it has become central to our identity. We form our lives by the choices we make. We are consumers.” 0 likes