Start by marking “The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry” as Want to Read:
The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry

The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry

The Cornered Cat is the ultimate resource for women who choose to carry a firearm for self defense. It covers everything from cleaning a pistol to methods of carry. It tells women everything they ever wanted to know about how to carry a firearm for self defense. The Cornered Cat is all about women that have chosen or are considering choosing firearms for self defense, ...more
Published October 25th 2010 by White Feather Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Cornered Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cornered Cat

Teri Anderson
Dec 13, 2012 Teri Anderson rated it it was amazing
When I took the Conceal Carry Permit class, the instructor recommended the book Armed & Female by Paxton Quigley to all the women in the class. That book spends the first third of it scaring the crap out of readers with its many women-as-victims crime statistics. Quite frankly, it was off-putting. I much prefer this book, The Cornered Cat, over that one and recommend it as a gentler introduction for women who might be interested in concealing a firearm for self-defense. Much of the book can ...more
Justyna Justy
Jan 16, 2015 Justyna Justy rated it really liked it
I love it. I wish I could give this book a 4.5. only thing I'd say it needs would be pictures. I'm talking some pictures so we would have a better idea of how the ammo looks like, how the holsters would look like. otherwise great insight, great points, and awesome!
Stacey Gray
Oct 06, 2016 Stacey Gray rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! It is a must read for all women who are just starting out with shooting or just mulling the idea around. The author provides a lot of information in an easy to read, conversational tone.
Carter
Feb 12, 2015 Carter rated it really liked it
This book is incredibly comprehensive! I honestly cannot think of anything Kathy Jackson hasn't thought of. She addresses everything a high-quality concealed carry class will cover and then some! Some of the content I found to be most helpful as a woman included ethics, clothing options for concealed carry, and techniques designed for women. I've been shooting since I was 5 and this book had invaluable advice I wish I had learned years ago! Having learned everything I know from men and the ...more
Robyn Sandoval
Apr 15, 2013 Robyn Sandoval rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mothers,women,shooters
It doesn't get more comprehensive than this book! The author addresses all aspects of what it means for a woman to conceal carry a handgun, from the why to the how to the where and when. She offers new insights and poses serious questions for the reader to mull over. I greatly appreciated her personal recommendations (always with the caveat "this works for me, but you decide what's right for you"). I highly recommend this book to any woman who owns a gun, even if she doesn't want to conceal ...more
Sandy
Jul 08, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all women (and men) shooters from beginners to advanced levels interested in using their pistol for self-defense. Very comprehensive, easy to read and relate to, and funny. It covers the basics of pistols and pistol safety, choosing the right hand gun and holsters for your needs, and shooting techniques. It also mentions the legal aspects of owning a gun.

I read it all the way through and now I am sure I will use it frequently as a resource for myself, as well as recommend
Michelle
Aug 20, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing

Well written and well thought out. The author does a great job of clearly walking the reader through the considerations of owning or carrying a firearm. In addition to the gender-neutral considerations, the author thoroughly addresses the considerations that are particular to women (at least in the U.S.), such as whether to carry on one's person or in a purse, and other fine points.

The only way to improve this publication would be to reissue it in a larger font, which would make it much easier
Margaret
Aug 15, 2014 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
This book is PERFECT for an intro into handguns and about concealment too. I bought the e-book first, read it, then bought the hardcopy book to highlight and take notes. Topics include social issues, safety, holsters, etc. A big section in this book is about when to use a firearm in self defense and using it as a last resort. For anyone who is considering owning a handgun, then I would recommend this book to you.
Angel
Jan 29, 2016 Angel rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. She covers everything someone who has no idea what to do with guns needs to know (I started as someone who never grew up around them at all). Anything from bullet sizes, what size gun, how to conceal carry and what clothes you can wear to keep from 'printing'. It's funny, in depth and very helpful. I'm about go purchase my first gun (I've taken classes at my local range but not bought one yet) and i feel more confident about doing it. GREAT book! I highly recommend it!
Greg
Probably the single best book available for the beginning female shooter. It's a good book for all beginning shooters to read, but it has a lot of female-specific issues that you won't see anywhere else.

Virtually every question one could have will be answered in this large text. It also has a very complete glossary of shooting terms. My only criticism is that it could have more photos to better compliment the text.
Mary
Aug 06, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful for someone that is thinking about concealed carry. It helped me understand what to expect and about different ways to carry. I would recommend anyone that wants to carry a gun to please read this book. Kathy Jackson make you really think about it and she puts humer in the facts.
Michelle Maud
Feb 09, 2013 Michelle Maud rated it it was amazing
SO amazing! I loved this book, I have highlighted so much it looks like I colored in it!!! Wonderful reference and excellent for beginners! I can't recommend it enough!!! (Make sure to join the website too for blog updates and other great info!)
Sharon Wilbur
Mar 27, 2014 Sharon Wilbur rated it really liked it
When you've taken the steps to get a permit to carry, between the time you get it and the time you actually do it, this is a must read. It's almost a carry handbook for women. It was very informative.
Jean Travis
Mar 27, 2014 Jean Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information

Great information

Wonderfully packed with information about using and carrying a firearm for the Newbie or more experienced firearm Owner. Would highly recommend reading if you are considering owning a firearm.
C.S. Wilson
Mar 26, 2013 C.S. Wilson rated it really liked it
I've been a defensive shooter for going on ten years and I learned so much from this book! Kathy does a great job of taking a topic that could be boring and overwhelming and makes it "real". It's now a book that will go in my teaching bag to take to classes.
S Hinchcliffe
May 11, 2014 S Hinchcliffe rated it it was amazing
this is a book for the woman who is trying to decide to purchase a firearm.

Strongly recommend it for this purpose
Yvonne Mortensen
Dec 23, 2015 Yvonne Mortensen rated it it was amazing
If you've considered using a gun for self-defense, read this book. Great information, easy to read style.
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Diane Dahnert
Diane Dahnert rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Kecia
Kecia rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Carolyn Amundson
Carolyn Amundson rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Celeste  SunDragonLady Burgess
very informative. absolutely loved it and learned alot of information.
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Alan Smith
Alan Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Barbara Donahoe
Barbara Donahoe rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Sonya Dickerson
Sonya Dickerson rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Founders' Second Amendment: Origins of the Right to Bear Arms
  • The Open Conspiracy: What Are We to Do with Our Lives?
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • A Field Guide to Eastern Trees: Eastern United States and Canada, Including the Midwest (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Boston's Gun Bible - Revised with 2008 D.C. v. Heller
  • Camping and Woodcraft: A Handbook for Vacation Campers and for Travelers in the Wilderness
  • In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State
  • Where Keynes Went Wrong: And Why World Governments Keep Creating Inflation, Bubbles, and Busts
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Essential Bushcraft
  • Laughing at Wall Street: How I Beat the Pros at Investing (by Reading Tabloids, Shopping at the Mall, and Connecting on Facebook) and How You Can, Too
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse
  • To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine
  • The Second Amendment:: Preserving the Inalienable Right of Individual Self-Protection
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control is Wrong
  • Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture