Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)

Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  19 reviews
AD 65. Sebastos Pantera, spy to the Emperor Nero, has undertaken the most dangerous of missions. Hunting often alone, with few he can trust, he must find the most dangerous man in Rome's empire, and bring him to bloody justice.

Against him is Saulos. Consumed by private enmities and false beliefs, Saulos is pledged to bring about the destruction of an entire Roman province....more
Published June 6th 2011 by Bantam Press (first published May 12th 2011)

Terri
This is book Two in the fantastic historical fiction series Rome by M.C. Scott (aka Manda Scott).
The first book in the series, Rome: The Emperor's Spy, went down as the best historical fiction I read in 2012 and I think this one may challenge for my favourite historical fiction of 2013. It certainly will be hard to beat.

The series really started way back with the name Manda Scott (not M.C. Scott) and the book Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle.
This was a series that could be classed as historical fan...more
Simon Turney
The Rome series (a general series note to give you an idea of my impression of Manda’s writing and this series in particular.) All good historical fiction is written in an absorbing fashion, such that the reader enjoys every turn of the page. Often, an embellishment is added – just a word, a speech, a turn of phrase, even a physical description – that is so well-written and gorgeous in its own right, that it makes the whole novel. The Rome books in particular, and Manda’s writing in general, tak...more
Irene Soldatos
As The Guardian quote on the cover says: "Truly epic".
As with the other books in the series, this one also offers an alternative take on history, in this case on how the Judean revolt might have been instigated. Fascinating stuff. There's spies, and intrigue, and violence, and daring, impossible feats, all vividly imagined. The only reason I didn't give it the full five stars was that I found I didn't connect with several of the characters in the same way that I connected with others in the pre...more
Janine
I do enjoy a good epic. Really enjoyed Rome, I was hooked from the first chapter and couldn't put it down. War, treachery, love, scheming, this book has it all.
Roger Kean
I thought the Boudica quartet was outstanding but I found the first of this trilogy, Rome: The Emperor's Spy less convincing. Perhaps the apparent need to cross-link the new series from Boudica made it more confusing to get into. However, Rome: The Coming of the King is a more linear roller-coaster ride without the sacrifice of any of M.C. Scott's trademark dreamscapes or the palpable sense of mystery which pervades every page. It's also a terrific action-adventure yarn which takes Pantera and h...more
Alexander
Well, hello there. Two of my fascinations rolled up into one. The Roman Empire and the early days of Christianity, presented here as a riproaring read. It goes;

Sebastos Pantera, known to his many enemies as the Leopard, is the spy the Emperor Nero uses only for the most challenging and important of missions. Hunting alone, trusting no-one, he must find the most dangerous man in Rome's empire and bring him to bloody justice.

But his prey is cunning, subtle and ruthless. Saulos has pledged to bring...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Feb 02, 2014 Bernie Charbonneau rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roman History Buffs
I read the first novel a few years ago and my local library has not ordered the subsequent volumes to this series so had to order from the book store. I am glad to continue this series. As I recall, I was not overly impressed with the first book but I am in consensus with the majority in saying that this novel was a much better paced and interesting read. This part of Ms. Scott’s epic tale during the early rise of Christianity and Roman rule had more interesting plots going on that kept me turni...more
Carole Eyles
Gripping story, well drawn characters and many surprises. I imagine the religious right would be pretty unhappy with Scott's interpretation of Hebrew and early Christian history, especially the depiction of Paul/Saulos but it is well founded in research which is all explained in the Author's Notes. Although fiction it is based in detailed historical information and I found it totally engrossing. In fact I spent the whole morning reading as I couldn't tear myself away until I finished the book. N...more
Jonathan
Second in the Rome series was even better than the first. A lot of action, and a fast moving plot, but still plenty of time to develop new characters, alongside the return of hero Pantera, his sidekick Mergus and the Chosen of Isis, Hypatia. Strong female characters as ever are added to with the fantastic falcon trainer Iksahra and the would-be warrior princess Kleopatra. The story is set in Judea, as Pantera tries to track down old enemy Saulos, and prevent him from causing more destruction to...more
Dawn
I wonder if I'm getting jaded in my opinions of Roman historical fiction. I feel like I'm reading so many mediocre books lately. Maybe I'm especially disappointed as I really liked the first volume of this series.
I don't have anything specific to dis. It was a good story and good writing and some really great characters. But when I got to the end I felt a little bored.
Lindsay Eaton
The second book in Manda Scott's historical spy thriller series - and it was just as good as the first. This one is set in the Roman province of Judea in 66 AD. Brilliant historical detail, credible characters - including some totally awesome women - and a cracking plot made it hard to put down. Highly recommended.
Mel Horne
I enjoyed this tale, it made me go and find out a bit more of the history surrounding the story. I still find it amazing that you can sit at home and visit places on line and feel so close to ancient times. I hope Pantera gets a bit of a break in the next book, he sure does deserve a rest and a bit of fun !!
Ice Bear
We are in Roman occupied Israel as was, continuing the chase of new ideas. Less gritty than the first book of the series, whilst focusing on the building of new characters. A few loose ends remained unanswered, possibly left for book 3. Well researched as always.
Paul
Difficult to get into at first, but enjoyed the read as it progressed. Would give it 3.5 if halves were allowed and would definitely read another one of Scott's books.
Tony
Gave up after 125 pages. It makes Archer look like Shakespeare. Turgid, dull and uninteresting. I bought it only becuase the Guardian had given it a good review.
Keith smith
Liked it okay must be the weather took a long time to read want to start reading outside still to cold
Margareth8537
Pantera is an interesting character and I have never been a fan of St Paul!
Penny
Just not engaging.
Fionnagh Sheldon
Fionnagh Sheldon marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Gokul Raj
Gokul Raj marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Pelillos
Pelillos marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Renata Barberic
Renata Barberic marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
3220568
aka Manda Scott

ABOUT M.C. SCOTT

MC Scott.... qualified as a veterinary surgeon from Glasgow University and spent fifteen years in Newmarket and Cambridge specialising in anaesthesia and intensive care, before turning to writing as an alternative, less sleep-deprived, profession. Of the ten novels so far published, the first four were contemporary crime thrillers. The first, 'Hen's Teeth' was short...more
More about M.C. Scott...
Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1) Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth (Rome, #3) Rome: The Art of  War (Rome, #4) The Last Roman in Britain (Storycuts) Raven Feeder (Storycuts)