Start by marking “Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)

Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome #2)

AD 65. Sebastos Pantera, spy to the Emperor Nero, has undertaken the most dangerous of missions. Hunting often alone, with few he can trust, he must find the most dangerous man in Rome's empire, and bring him to bloody justice.

Against him is Saulos. Consumed by private enmities and false beliefs, Saulos is pledged to bring about the destruction of an entire Roman province.
Published June 6th 2011 by Bantam Press (first published May 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rome

Terri
This is book Two in the fantastic historical fiction series Rome by M.C. Scott (aka Manda Scott).
The first book in the series, Rome: The Emperor's Spy, went down as the best historical fiction I read in 2012 and I think this one may challenge for my favourite historical fiction of 2013. It certainly will be hard to beat.

The series really started way back with the name Manda Scott (not M.C. Scott) and the book Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle.
This was a series that could be classed as historical fan
S.J.A. Turney
Jul 05, 2012 S.J.A. Turney rated it it was amazing
The Rome series (a general series note to give you an idea of my impression of Manda’s writing and this series in particular.) All good historical fiction is written in an absorbing fashion, such that the reader enjoys every turn of the page. Often, an embellishment is added – just a word, a speech, a turn of phrase, even a physical description – that is so well-written and gorgeous in its own right, that it makes the whole novel. The Rome books in particular, and Manda’s writing in general, tak ...more
Irene Soldatos
Nov 04, 2013 Irene Soldatos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As The Guardian quote on the cover says: "Truly epic".
As with the other books in the series, this one also offers an alternative take on history, in this case on how the Judean revolt might have been instigated. Fascinating stuff. There's spies, and intrigue, and violence, and daring, impossible feats, all vividly imagined. The only reason I didn't give it the full five stars was that I found I didn't connect with several of the characters in the same way that I connected with others in the pre
Deborah Pickstone
I could read Manda Scott for ever! There is nothing about her historical novels that I don't like - except there aren't enough of them! Certainly, this series is a new take on the emergence of Christianity. I come to each book with trepidation (don't know why, really) that it will fail to please - mainly because of leaving beloved characters behind, I think - I become so caught up in their 'lives' that it's hard to let go. Yet, by the end of each book I am instead consumed with a desire to know. ...more
Rupert Matthews
Aug 31, 2015 Rupert Matthews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cracking read. Great adventure story, loads of action and some characters that really grip the imagination. Mind you he plays fast and loose with historical fact, which I found a tad annoying. Never mind. Great holiday reading.
Janine
Jun 21, 2013 Janine rated it it was amazing
I do enjoy a good epic. Really enjoyed Rome, I was hooked from the first chapter and couldn't put it down. War, treachery, love, scheming, this book has it all.
Liesl Swardt
Jan 12, 2017 Liesl Swardt rated it really liked it
Really excellent novel. Cleverly written and very entertaining.
Roger Kean
Jul 10, 2012 Roger Kean rated it it was amazing
I thought the Boudica quartet was outstanding but I found the first of this trilogy, Rome: The Emperor's Spy less convincing. Perhaps the apparent need to cross-link the new series from Boudica made it more confusing to get into. However, Rome: The Coming of the King is a more linear roller-coaster ride without the sacrifice of any of M.C. Scott's trademark dreamscapes or the palpable sense of mystery which pervades every page. It's also a terrific action-adventure yarn which takes Pantera and h ...more
Alexander
Jul 10, 2013 Alexander rated it really liked it
Well, hello there. Two of my fascinations rolled up into one. The Roman Empire and the early days of Christianity, presented here as a riproaring read. It goes;

Sebastos Pantera, known to his many enemies as the Leopard, is the spy the Emperor Nero uses only for the most challenging and important of missions. Hunting alone, trusting no-one, he must find the most dangerous man in Rome's empire and bring him to bloody justice.

But his prey is cunning, subtle and ruthless. Saulos has pledged to bring
Patrick Raftery
Oct 17, 2014 Patrick Raftery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman
in a book like this, you need a good villain but we have very bad person who we know as St Paul, who acts as the emperor man in judaea, whose control over the king makes him a very dangerous man. So now we need heroes and the real emperor man and friends are those, in these M.C.Scott places them in key areas off the story, witch is done in a way that till the end of the book you don't know if they will make it to the end. I did enjoy this book and feel that the use of St Paul as the evil villain ...more
Carole
May 20, 2012 Carole rated it really liked it
Gripping story, well drawn characters and many surprises. I imagine the religious right would be pretty unhappy with Scott's interpretation of Hebrew and early Christian history, especially the depiction of Paul/Saulos but it is well founded in research which is all explained in the Author's Notes. Although fiction it is based in detailed historical information and I found it totally engrossing. In fact I spent the whole morning reading as I couldn't tear myself away until I finished the book. N ...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Feb 02, 2014 Bernie Charbonneau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roman History Buffs
I read the first novel a few years ago and my local library has not ordered the subsequent volumes to this series so had to order from the book store. I am glad to continue this series. As I recall, I was not overly impressed with the first book but I am in consensus with the majority in saying that this novel was a much better paced and interesting read. This part of Ms. Scott’s epic tale during the early rise of Christianity and Roman rule had more interesting plots going on that kept me turni ...more
Jonathan
Aug 31, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Rome series was even better than the first. A lot of action, and a fast moving plot, but still plenty of time to develop new characters, alongside the return of hero Pantera, his sidekick Mergus and the Chosen of Isis, Hypatia. Strong female characters as ever are added to with the fantastic falcon trainer Iksahra and the would-be warrior princess Kleopatra. The story is set in Judea, as Pantera tries to track down old enemy Saulos, and prevent him from causing more destruction to ...more
Dries
May 22, 2016 Dries rated it did not like it
Jen Silver
May 14, 2014 Jen Silver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of M C (Manda) Scott's books. The Boudica series was outstanding.

This Rome series had a very different tone, though. And although I find the storytelling superb, there are some violent scenes that wouldn't go amiss in an episode of Game of Thrones. However, that's all part of the realism of depicting that period of time. The author brings the settings and characters to life. Another brilliant read.
Lindsay Eaton
Jan 23, 2012 Lindsay Eaton rated it really liked it
The second book in Manda Scott's historical spy thriller series - and it was just as good as the first. This one is set in the Roman province of Judea in 66 AD. Brilliant historical detail, credible characters - including some totally awesome women - and a cracking plot made it hard to put down. Highly recommended.
Joe Sims
Jul 11, 2016 Joe Sims rated it did not like it
First rate author. Excellent story teller. Loved her series on Boudica and was enjoying this series. But sadly this particular book in the Rome series is more historical fantasy than historical fiction. It's unfortunate that Manda chose to air her own personal philosophy with such vilification of the foundation of Christian faith and present it as fact.
Mel Horne
Jul 24, 2012 Mel Horne rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, historical
I enjoyed this tale, it made me go and find out a bit more of the history surrounding the story. I still find it amazing that you can sit at home and visit places on line and feel so close to ancient times. I hope Pantera gets a bit of a break in the next book, he sure does deserve a rest and a bit of fun !!
Dawn
I wonder if I'm getting jaded in my opinions of Roman historical fiction. I feel like I'm reading so many mediocre books lately. Maybe I'm especially disappointed as I really liked the first volume of this series.
I don't have anything specific to dis. It was a good story and good writing and some really great characters. But when I got to the end I felt a little bored.
Ice Bear
Dec 16, 2013 Ice Bear rated it liked it
We are in Roman occupied Israel as was, continuing the chase of new ideas. Less gritty than the first book of the series, whilst focusing on the building of new characters. A few loose ends remained unanswered, possibly left for book 3. Well researched as always.
Stuart
Jan 05, 2015 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read the first book in the Trilogy and found this one really slow to get into. The second half picked up a bit but no huge compulsion to go on to the last book.
Tony
Sep 21, 2012 Tony rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Gave up after 125 pages. It makes Archer look like Shakespeare. Turgid, dull and uninteresting. I bought it only becuase the Guardian had given it a good review.
Paul
Aug 25, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
Difficult to get into at first, but enjoyed the read as it progressed. Would give it 3.5 if halves were allowed and would definitely read another one of Scott's books.
Keith smith
Mar 29, 2014 Keith smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it okay must be the weather took a long time to read want to start reading outside still to cold
Matthew Jolly
Matthew Jolly rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Anne Robinson
Anne Robinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Gareth Pottle
Gareth Pottle rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Darcy
Darcy rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
nyema favor
nyema favor rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Peter Ross
Peter Ross rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)
  • The Caspian Gates (Warrior of Rome, #4)
  • Avenger of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #3)
  • The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)
  • The Eagle's Vengeance (Empire, #6)
  • Master of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #3)
3220568
aka Manda Scott

ABOUT M.C. SCOTT

MC Scott.... qualified as a veterinary surgeon from Glasgow University and spent fifteen years in Newmarket and Cambridge specialising in anaesthesia and intensive care, before turning to writing as an alternative, less sleep-deprived, profession. Of the ten novels so far published, the first four were contemporary crime thrillers. The first, 'Hen's Teeth' was short
More about M.C. Scott...

Rome (4 books)
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth (Rome, #3)
  • Rome: The Art of  War (Rome, #4)