Start by marking “To Conquer the Air: The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight” as Want to Read:
To Conquer the Air: The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight

To Conquer the Air: The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
"For some years I have been afflicted with the belief that flight is possible to man. My disease has increased in severity and I feel that it will soon cost me an increased amount of money if not my life."
So wrote a quiet young Ohioan in 1900, one in an ancient line of men who had wanted to fly -- men who wanted it passionately, fecklessly, hopelessly. But now, at the tu
Audio, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about To Conquer the Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Conquer the Air

Peter
Jan 13, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Debbie
Mar 30, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I listened to this on a recent road trip. I'm pretty sure he would give it more stars, as he is a glider pilot and found the technical aspects fascinating.

I didn't object to the book in a serious way, but it got a bit dry and hard to follow and occasionally the hard to follow when I couldn't flip back a page or two to double check what year or event was being covered.

However, there were moments - as Wilbur's 1909 flight around the Statue of Liberty, or,earlier, a 12-year-old boy
Rich
Mar 04, 2015 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favorite book of all. The story has obvious inspirational value but also heartwarming and heartbreaking.
Dave
Dec 30, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Tobin is a student of the Wright Brothers, a well-respected North Carolina historian, and was instrumental in the planning for the 100th anniversary of flight at Kitty Hawk in 2003. Although I'm a private pilot and a passionate student of aviation, I visited Kitty Hawk for the first time over Thanksgiving week 2015.

It was a pilgrimage of sorts, and I in addition to visiting the museum and the Kill Devil Hill monument, I also had a once in a lifetime opportunity to actually fly the world's
Nick
Mar 09, 2014 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent biographic work documenting the first manned flights with a machine heavier than the air .... focused on exactly that, the history of the early flights (i.e. the Wrights' flights mostly), the book hurries towards the end, once the Wrights' flying records stopped to provide the initial technical/scientific leadership in the field they originally did. With Willbur's premature death in 1912 and the less ambitious/motivated Orville focusing less on the flying and more on legal battles (to pro ...more
Brett Fernau
Nov 28, 2012 Brett Fernau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I was a bit put off at first with Tobin's rather gratuitous disparagement of religion in the first chapter, but then I realized that this is a contemporary view of the Wright brothers achievements, written by someone immersed in the modern American education system. Once I got past this, I rather enjoyed the book. This story of the race toward manned flight is told from the words of the players themselves and that makes the tale all the more interesting. It is a tale of egos, adventure, and entr ...more
Winston
Oct 10, 2013 Winston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-reviewed
This is a great summary of the beginnings of powered manned flight. We were pretty much taught in school that the Wright Brothers invented the airplane, and although they were certainly at the center of the "race to flight", they were by no means the only ones to innovate.

The reason the brothers ultimately "won" the race was because of their measured, patient, scientific approach. While others such as Samuel Langley threw money at the problem, attacking only one aspect such as power/speed, the B
Robert
Jun 27, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much. I wasn't in love with it nor involved with the characters, as I would have been with a novel, but I found the story compelling. Of course it was mostly about the Wright brothers, who are an interesting story allby themselves. Prior to the Wrights, however, there were others of somewhat less note who contributed to the science of flying. In particular Samuel Pierpont Langley was involved with aerodromes and perhaps most remembered for spectacular failures. To my surpr ...more
Megargee
May 07, 2015 Megargee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book describes how Alexander Graham Bell, Samuel Langley (then director of the Smithsonian), and the Wright brothers competed to develop the first heavier-than-air flying machine, each trying different approaches. The personalities of the rivals are well delineated and even though you know the outcome, the author creates a considerable suspense, in the process imparting a great deal of information about the principles of aeronautics, which the brothers discovered.
Amerynth
Jul 26, 2012 Amerynth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Tobin's "To Conquer the Air: The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight" tells the story of three efforts (mainly) to prove that man could take to the skies. Its major focus is on the success of the Wilbur and Orville Wright, who were the first to successfully fly an airplane on the fields at Kitty Hawk, N.C. It also features the stories of Samuel Langley and Alexander Graham Bell, who approached the problem of flight with different (and less successful) ideas.

Overall, I found the b
Ray
Mar 23, 2015 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Tobin did a great job filling in the many gaps in my knowledge about the Wright brothers and their historic first flight. Especially interesting was the description of the multiple iterations they went through to create their first planes, other key contributors the the development of practical aircraft, and how their historic first flight quickly led to the development of widespread and practical motorized airplanes. An enjoyable and informative book.
Puck
May 12, 2015 Puck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up as prep for a job interview with the Museum of Flight - like most history books - you know how this one is going to end, but Tobin, and narrator Boyd Gaines, do an excellent job of building suspense... thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Peter Boody
May 24, 2013 Peter Boody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great job bringing the era and the personalities to life. I am a pilot who loves all things aeronautical so non-flying readers might want to take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt. For those looking for Hollywood style high personal drama (other than Langley's weirdness) and amazing adventures, this may not work (perhaps why there has never been a great biopic about the Wrights). But for me, I have a new, richer appreciation for the first flights of a powered aircraft carrying a human being and ...more
Bob
Aug 14, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
An interesting and insightful read.
Scott Downing
Apr 15, 2012 Scott Downing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for those interested in the specific minutia of the discovery of the technical aspects of flight.

Now, if you thought the above sentence was dull and overdone then you might give "To Conquer the Air" only a star or two at best. While the book does contain a few great stories: the flights above the amazed populous of New York City were a prime example. The majority of the book, however, is dampened by the tightly controlled Wright brothers.

Good detailed avionics history. Not s
Feb 10, 2016 1326574 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inhoudelijk goed boek, soms stroef geschreven
Steve Sarrica
I was very interested in reading about the early days of heavier-than-air powered human flight. Considering I am an "aerophile", I don't know a whole bunch about the early days of flight. I also wanted to learn how two bicycle shop owners from Dayton, Ohio achieved one of humanity's oldest desires. Tobin's book is surprisingly dry, but I don't really blame him. It turns out that the Wrights were awfully dry themselves. Worthwhile for plane geeks, but probably not of much interest to general publ ...more
Debra
Jul 27, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
An excellent account of the various people trying to "conquer the air". Centering mostly on the Americans involved in the pursuit of flight, it gave an inside look at the personalities involved and more of their back story than I had previously encountered. For many years I had wondered at the extreme secrecy that the Wright brothers used when they were going to exhibit their flyer in France. I found my answer. This was a very well done abridged audio book, one I will probably listen to again.

Marsha
Aug 24, 2015 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and learned a lot about the Wright brothers. I have a new understanding and appreciation for what these men created and endured. I was glad I picked it up. I got this in audio and the reading was nice.
Ben Wilson
Mar 23, 2008 Ben Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aviation enthusiasts, steampunks, makers
Shelves: steampunk, aviation
A fascinating story of the creation of the first powered aircraft, told largely through personal correspondence between the Wrights and their family. Gives amazing depth and detail to a story that has been told many times before. Brings the Wrights to life in delicious detail.

03/2008 - Upgraded this to 5 stars. One of the best.
Noah
May 13, 2009 Noah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tobin's an able biographer, but the source material just isn't that good. I assumed that, since he bothered to write the book, that there was an interesting untold story behind the Wright Brothers. I was wrong. (Note: I don't know why Goodreads only has the Spanish version of this book in its database)
M.T. Bass
Jun 02, 2015 M.T. Bass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, being an airplane nut, I enjoyed reading about Wilbur and Orville, but by weaving in the stories of Samuel Langley, Curtis Wright and Alexander G. Bell, Tobin gave a sense of the "great race" as it unfolded at the time. Looking forward now to McCullough's book on thw Wrights.
Doubledotter
Jun 03, 2010 Doubledotter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Doubledotter by: Bruce
What a vibrant time in history and revealing stories of the risk, vision and entrepreneurship of the Wright brothers are encouraging. Anyone wanting to read a marvelous true story will enjoy the articulate and informative story telling of Tobin. I'm a new fan of his...
Converse
Interesting accounts of the Wright's competitors, especially Samuel Langley of the Smithsonian Institute and Alexander Graham Bell (yes, the telephone guy), as well as the Wright's own doings. Narrative basically ends with Wilbur's accomplishments in New York in 1909
Dave
Nov 25, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book came highly recommended by someone (Uncle Marvin?) but I didn't care that much for it. Maybe you would though. It was pretty complete on the history of the Wright Brothers. Read it long ago.
Jen Andrews
Mar 10, 2010 Jen Andrews rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
Matt told me to read this book...And I really didn't like it. It's one of the few books that I quit reading after only a few chapters. It was really slow and had too many subplots.
Curtis Edmonds
Mar 06, 2012 Curtis Edmonds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review at Bookreporter.com - http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/t...
Ken
Jan 02, 2008 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting to learn not only about the wright brothers, but also their main competitors in the race for flight.

James Sarlo
Jul 15, 2013 James Sarlo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit hard to follow at times and sometimes bland, but overall a good picture painted of the early days of aviation
Paul
Oct 18, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating portrait of the Wrights as a family as well as others pursuing the goal of heavier-than-air flight
  • The Darkest Jungle: The True Story of the Darien Expedition and America's Ill-Fated Race to Connect the Seas
  • Cooper's Creek
  • The Jasons: The Secret History of Science's Postwar Elite
  • Starlight and Storm
  • Scrambles Amongst the Alps
  • The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey
  • Tuxedo Park: A Wall Street Tycoon and the Secret Palace of Science That Changed the Course of World War II
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah: A Wilderness Narrative
  • Journal of a Trapper: In the Rocky Mountains Between 1834 and 1843; Comprising a General Description of the Country, Climate, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, ETC the Nature and Habits of Animals, Manners and Customs of Indians and a Complete View of the Life...
  • The Spirit of St. Louis
  • Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics