Start by marking “Slow Burn” as Want to Read:
Slow Burn

Slow Burn

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Amazon Clicks Readers’ Book of the Month Winner; Conrad Jones, is nominated for a 'Gold Dagger' award 2014
Conrad Jones has done it again with his Alec Ramsay books. Crime thriller writing that will have you chewing your fingers as you read! ; Review
Number 1 International Crime Thriller
Soft Target No.6 Amazon bestseller lists
Soft Target II No.1 Thriller war
Sof
Published November 6th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Burn

Sam
Won this through the Goodreads Giveaways.

The cover and start of this book is slightly deceiving as the main thrust of the story has very little to do with religious terrorism (which I have noticed tends to put some readers off) but is in fact to do with bullying, rape, abuse and revenge. Jones has produced a superb book that is fast paced and keeps you thoroughly interested despite knowing the who and having the why built up throughout rather than finding it all out at the end.

The characters are
Angela
Have won a copy through First Reads (thank you). Will put up a review once I have received and read the book 06/06/2011

3.5 Stars.

I enjoyed reading this book to some extent. The writing in general was good and the plot moved along very nicely.

It was fast-paced and very violent, which I quite like but I know many who wouldn't enjoy reading this. In parts it was disturbing and graphic in its description of violence and I think the level of detail would put many off, but all in all an interesting a
I Read
I enjoyed this story, more so at the beginning and the end - because at one point it felt a little like one murder followed another, followed another, with little else - but there was never a moment I felt the plot dragged. The short 'bite-size' chapters definitely benefited the read as you were never bogged down in heavy, long scenes.

There were a couple of times literally just before things happened where I saw it coming and think maybe it would have been even more effective if the lead up had
Carl
I won this book in the First Reads givaway on Goodreads.

This is the first book by Conrad Jones Ive picked up and as such I had no expectations. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Slow Burn moves along at a good pace and during when I wasn't reading it I found myself thinking about the plot and what would happen next. I read this book in 3 sittings, it was easy to get immersed in the plot and the short chapters meant I was more inclined to keep reading just a little more.
Conrad Jones has a
Sally
Carol Peace
I did not like the cover on this book I felt that it was a book that I would not have picked up to read the blurb on the back or inside. This was my mistake as the book was very much to my taste.
I found it quite disjointed at the beginning which was when it was introducing the characters and it did flip from present day to the 'past'. I did however perservere and it all became clear how they all fit in a little into the book.The bpmbing was there at the front of the book and I expected it to fin
Danie Cutter
Received through First Reads, will post review shortly.
--------

A thoroughly good read! I read this one very quickly, not quite one sitting but then who can do that with a toddler under foot.

It was just the right mix of gangsters, renegades(?) and detectives AND mixed relevant past (just the right amount rather than overdoing it as most books do) and present to give a great story line.
Just enough detail and information was given at each stage to keep you reading without giving away the entire plo
Won this book as a Good Reads Giveaway.

I was plesently surpried by this book, I was not sure what to expect at all I have not read any of the other books by Conrad Jones. I found this fast paced and very gripping. A great read. The movement of time zones and Charecter opinion is well done so there is no confusion. Knowing from part way through who the 'bad guys' are does not by any means make you feel finishing is a waste of time either.

All in all I would definatly read another from this series.
Stuart Hargreaves
I WON THIS BOOK AS A GOOD READ PRIZE. I ENJOYED THE BOOK , ALTHOUGH I PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT IT BECAUSE OF THE COVER HAD THE STAR OF DAVID ON IT. i TEND NOT TO READ BOOKS ABOUT RELIGIOUS TERRORISM.

THIS BOOK WAS COMPELLING AND VERY EASY TO READ, THE PLOT WAS QUITE BELIEVABLE AND ONE IMAGINED ONESELF IN THE SHOES OF ALEC RAMSEY WONDERING WHAT WAS GOING ON AND WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT.

I WOULD SAY YES GIVE IT A TRY YOU WILL ENJOY IT.

Karis
I thought this was a good book. The plot was good, and the villians characters were well rounded. However, I felt it was let down by the actual detectives. They didnt have much character, and what character they did have was just given to you, rather than subtly conveyed through their words & actions.

For me this book is a 3.5, but with better detective characters I would have rated it a 4. I would probably read it again.
susan murray
I really enjoyed this book and like the way it went from past to present in the chapters to let you know how it all began.Y ou really cannot wait to find out the outcome of the story which was a thriller from start to finish.It is a must to read for thriller readers.
Clare F
Great story but scary to think that some people live their lives that way.
Jill
Jun 15, 2011 Jill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Won Slow Burn as a Goodreads giveaway, have not received it yet.
Craig Pedder
Absolutely superb book. I'm not a very confident reader but I read this book faster than i have read anything else previously. Despite the lack of suspense and mystery the story line keeps you engaged and thirsty for more right the way through. Even though you knew who was doing what and why it still kept you the edge of your seat.
The story line very rarely loses momentum and remains fast paced throughout. It was very interesting to follow the story through three different view points.
I will a
Grammar*Kitten
Thrilling terrorist plot set in Liverpool, made all the more intriguing by the familiarity of local landmarks. A very well put together story, encompassing how the desire for revenge can grow and fester over years, when the initial reasons for wanting it are long forgotten by the perpetrators. Gangland culture, assassins, bomb-makers and a heart breaking tale of one family who just couldn’t let what happened to destroy them in the past lie.
Celia Barry
I eagerly awaited my copy of this book as it looked like it had all of the elements I enjoy in a book. Unfortunately, I never received a copy of it, despite sending several unanswered emails to the author. If I ever do receive the copy, I'll update this review.
Andrew
Really enjoyed reading this - pity I had to go back to work after the holidays as it slowed down finishing it. Twists at the end good.
Ken
Really enjoyed this, a little bloodthirsty in parts. The perfect revenge story
Darren Keighley
Very good read with an interesting twist.
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Dave Allen
Dave Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Louise Duffy
Louise Duffy is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sonya L Moore
Sonya L Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jacqueline Mackie
Jacqueline Mackie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Audiobooks: Audible UK free thriller 1 16 Dec 21, 2014 04:38AM
  • The Moses Legacy
  • The Nightmare Stone
  • Discreet Activities (Vigilante, #6)
  • ICEHOTEL
  • Fraidy Hole
  • The Missing
  • Convictions
  • Chasing Innocence
  • A Deceit to Die For
  • First and Only: A Psychological Thriller
  • Dark Places
  • Shattered (Donna Harp, #1)
  • The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton, #1)
  • Hidden
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • The Loyal Servant: A Very British Political Thriller (The Women Sleuths, #1)
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
Conrad Jones is a best selling thriller writer with three thriller series published.

The Soft Target Series 6 books

The Detective Alec Ramsay Series 6 books

The Hunting Angels Diaries (horror) 3 books.

11 of his books are available in audio and his novels have been translated into six languages.

He is always keen to talk to readers and writers alike, jonesconrad5@aol.com

Face Book Conrad Jones Author
Tw
More about Conrad Jones...
The Child Taker (Soft Target ) The Child Taker is Criminally Insane Box Set (Detective Alec Ramsay Series) Soft Target (Soft Target Trilogy) SOFT TARGET III Jerusalem (Soft Target) Soft Target II: Tank