Start by marking “The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  135,568 Ratings  ·  4,099 Reviews
Beginning with a short story appearing in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1978, the publication of Stephen King's epic work of fantasy-what he considers to be a single long novel and his magnum opus-has spanned a quarter of a century.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark To
Published November 1992 by New Amer Library Trade (first published May 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Drawing of the Three, please sign up.

Daniel If you pay some attention you'll notice that things such as time, space, direction, etc are inconsistent or just plain incorrect in Roland's universe.…moreIf you pay some attention you'll notice that things such as time, space, direction, etc are inconsistent or just plain incorrect in Roland's universe. The world has "moved on" as they say.

"Sometimes, even the sun rises in the north and sets in the east."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...

It could be an oversight, but most likely meant to raise that exact question: Are east and west swapped in Roland's universe, or is this simply a symptom of a world that has 'moved on'?(less)
Margaret Sarah Bechtel Yes it comes in 2017. Matthew McConaughey is playing the man in black while Idris Elba is playing the gunslinger/Roland.

Kat Stark
Feb 29, 2016 Kat Stark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

*I listened to the audiobook*

Buddyread with the vivacious Karly (Click to read her review)

First Book: Gunslinger

Third Book: The Waste Lands

We're off on a grand adventure, an adventure to the tower
We hear it's the shit from a shit, if ever a shit there was
If ever, oh ever a shit there was, The Dark Tower is one because
Because, because, because, because, because
Because we do what Roland does
We're off on a grand adventure, an adventure to the tower

I figure that I've been pretty creative with King
Delee
When a very close friend lists a book as an ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!...the pressure to love it, and give it a review deserving of its fabulous-ness, is immense...when that very close friend is the gloooooorious Stepheny- the pressure is OFF THE CHARTS!!!! Anyone familiar with her- will know EXACTLY what I mean. ;)

...So here goes nothing *deep breath*...

photo 52be0ac8-bb79-4287-83a3-30d7dacde162_zpszibrxsca.jpg

THE DRAWING OF THE THREE- the second book in The Dark Tower series- takes place seven hours after we last left Roland Deschain in The Gunslinger. The
Stephen
Dan Schwent
Roland Deschain, fresh from the events of the Gunslinger, lies exhausted and poisoned on the shores of the ocean. In his delirium, he finds three doorways leading to our world and his new ka-tet. Will Roland survive long enough to bring his new ka-tet?

This is when the Dark Tower really started coming together. The first thing that happens really shocked the crap out of me. Damn lobstrosities! I had no idea what Roland was going to go through when I first opened this one.

The new characters are in
Kemper
Mid-World General Emergency Room - 9:19 PM

“Step in here, please. What’s your name?”

“Roland Deschain.”

“And do you have any allergies, Mr. Deschain?”

“No.”

“And when…..wait a second. Roland Deschain? The last gunslinger? The guy who is on a quest to find the Dark Tower?”

“That’s me.”

“Wow. This is an honor. I mean, I see a lot of scum and mutants come through here. Especially since the world has moved on and all that, but to get Roland the gunslinger in here as a patient? That’s just crazy! I can’t wa
Jeff
Mar 13, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Available: Amazing Beach Front Property!!!

Plots available for building your dream home in a lush vacation paradise.

Only 666 lots left! Little to no money down! Hurry! Act Now!!

Great ocean view!! Mountains only an hour's drive away!

Unlimited parking!

You’re a doorway away from such exotic NYC entertainment as: Naked gunfights, wheelchair obstacle course, police car races, Whack-a-gangster, Bop-a-cop, and the locally famous flaming-creep subway run.

For the sportsman: minutes from an unlimited s
Markus
Without thought, with the simple resolve that had made him the last of them all, the last to continue marching on and on long after Cuthbert and the others had died or given up, committed suicide or treachery or simply recanted the whole idea of the Tower; with the single-minded and incurious resolve that had driven him across the desert and all the years before the desert in the wake of the man in black, the gunslinger stepped through the doorway.

The journey to the Dark Tower continues, and t
seak
Aug 31, 2015 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, stephen-king
"...There's going to be shooting."
"There is?"
"Yes." The gunslinger looked serenely at Eddie. "Quite a lot of it, I think."

And so begins the coolest, most intense gun fight I've ever read.

Ever since I put down The Stand 300 pages in, I thought I'd never read another Stephen King novel. You could say I was even proud of the fact. Everyone seems to love King and I'm the only one who doesn't. I'm unique... I also don't like Katy Perry.

Well, then he had to go and write The Dark Tower series. The pre
Will M.
Roland continues with his quest for The Dark Tower. While he was alone at first, he decides to have some company. He decides to have a drawing of the three. Three more people to be involved in his obsessive quest for the tower. Will he compromise the lives of the chosen ones, or will he make them better? The amazing quest continues in this second installment of the series.

Once again King introduced amazing characters. Right from the start I knew I was going to like Eddie Dean. He was this drug d
Stepheny
I’ve read the Dark Tower Series several times over the years. It is a series I hold very close to my heart, one that draws me in and whispers in my ear; begs to be read again.

So, when Calamity Bev, Rootin’ Tootin’ Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff and Straight Shootin' Susan asked me to join them along the Path of the Beam on a most noble quest to the Dark Tower I said yes without a moment’s hesitation.

The Drawing of the Three is a book that on its own is in my list of top 10 books ever w
Lyn
Mar 03, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the hell did I just read?

The Drawing of the Three is as far as I can tell, a unique literary experience.

The second book in King’s The Dark Tower series, published 5 years after The Gunslinger, this really begins The Dark Tower series. From my limited experience at having ready two of these, and myself more than two years in between, The Gunslinger seems like a prologue, a table setting. Maybe, just maybe, The Gunslinger is to The Dark Tower series as The Hobbit is to The Lord of the Rings.
Lindsey Rey
Feb 22, 2016 Lindsey Rey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I love Stephen King, but this series just isn't for me! I won't be continuing on with the series.
Laz
I knew ever since reading the first book that this series would only get better in time. To be honest, I expected it to become really good after the 3rd or 4th book but this one really is the turn. The first one is only a small tease of what this series is and can be.

Being a big Stephen King fan, I find his mind exceedingly sharp, and his thoughts utterly cohesive, building and building and then breaking everything apart. He's extremely talented and it shows in his work.

While in the first book
Amanda
May 28, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Everyone at Shelf Inflicted!
Shelves: blog
"What the hell was that?!!?" basically sums up my response to The Drawing of the Three. And I mean that in the best possible way.

As I opined in my review of The Gunslinger, I have avoided The Dark Tower for so long because it's a series and usually series books serve up a formulaic reheating of what happened in previous books. I usually enjoy the first book, like the second book, and begin to get that deja vu feeling that I've read all of this before somewhere around book three. Not so with thi
Cindy Newton
Okay, I've been schooled. For lo these many years, I've prided myself on being one of the original Stephen King fans, the quintessential Constant Reader. I grew up with him, meaning that I am of an age that I read his books as he actually churned them out. I was there, hands outstretched, waiting for each eagerly anticipated tome, ready to devour it and add to my ever-growing admiration for the god of horror--except for the Dark Tower series. I can't even offer a satisfactory explanation for thi ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
THIS BOOK IS SO FUCKING WEIRD AND AWESOME AND GODDAMN, I JUST WANT MORE.

The thing with The Drawing of The Three is that it is a helluva weird story but somehow King managed to make sense of THAT weirdness and turn it into something completely EPIC.

Also, the characterization game is very strong in here.

I'm already half in love with Eddie Dean and Odetta and even more so with ROLAND OF GILEAD. Seriously. How did King managed to get me so hooked to them like this?

I'm babbling away so obviously I c
Algernon
Jun 25, 2015 Algernon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
[7/10]

- "What's on the other side of the door for me?" Eddie asked the gunslinger quietly. "Go on and tell me. If you can tell me, maybe I'll come. But if you lie, I'll know."
- "Probably death", the gunslinger said. "But before that happens, I don't think you'll be bored. I want you to join me on a quest. Of course, all will probably end in death - death for the four of us in a strange place. But if we should win through ..." His eyes gleamed. "If we win through, Eddie, you'll see something be
♛Tash
Feb 05, 2016 ♛Tash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I think Roland's fever jumped off the page and transferred to me, other than that a terrific read. 4.5 stars.
Emma
Aug 06, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, western
Gunslinger awesomeness!! The Gunslinger blew me out of the water and this one was if possible even better! Stephen King is so good at people..I know he goes on a bit at times, but I have to tell you this book was just amazing! I used whispersync and the audio version on this was absolutely superb. Who would have thought a 'lobstrosity' could be so horrifying? Dud-a-chum? ‘Dod-a-chock? Brilliant!
If you haven't picked up The Dark Tower yet, you really need to give it a chance. Genius!
Athena Shardbearer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damnation? Salvation? The Tower.

Lou
The epic journey, the pilgrim continues his journey In searcheth of The Dark Tower. The Gunslinger Roland enters new dimensions, new doors three to be exact in search of The Three individuals which he his fated to be with.
The story is mix of many settings starting in The western seafront with The Gunslinger and dangerous Lobstrosities and then to 1980's a heroin addict and mobsters in P.O.V mode for The first of The Three 'The Prisoner'.
Roland The Gunslinger also pays a visit to the other 2 cand
Becky
In my awesome NJSK book club, we're reading through the Dark Tower series and related books. We started last month with The Gunslinger (because where else is there to start?) but THIS month is the one that I was waiting for. I absolutely love this book. It has long been a favorite of mine, and I was so thrilled to be able to go through the series again and discuss the book with a group of people who love King as much as I do, and have really interesting insights and thoughts to share with me. I ...more
David Sven
THE GUNSLINGER
Roland Deschain – Of the line of Eld – all the way back to Arthur Eld
“Merlin and Arthur and the knights of the Round Table,” Jake said dreamily.
The gunslinger felt a nasty jolt go through him. “Yes,” he said. “Arthur Eld, you say true, I say thank ya.

Roland continues his quest for The Dark Tower where he intends to do
...whatever it is I’m supposed to do there, accomplished whatever fundamental act of restoration or redemption for which I was meant,...

THE TOWER
We learned from th
Tfitoby
Apr 01, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
Gunslinger was a strange little book, a surreal tale of some kind of dystopia with a protagonist straight out of a classic noir. It was interesting and entertaining and didn't really inspire me to finish a series that might just keep getting longer whilst I work my way through it. Turns out Stephen King got the Dark Tower bug back and after finishing the series he wrote another instalment. Ordinarily I'd be against such behaviour but after ploughing through this second episode in record time who ...more
Bookwraiths
Mar 25, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower #2) is usually proclaimed by readers as either “The book that truly got me hooked on The Dark Tower series!” or as “The book that made me give up on The Dark Tower series.” Honestly, this novel is such a huge change from book one that it produces that wide a range of reactions.

The story itself picks up almost immediately after the end of The Gunslinger. Roland Deschain, our forlorn hero, has awakened from a magic
Gorgona Grim
Sep 11, 2016 Gorgona Grim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Tri tarot karte, tri sudbine i troja vrata. Revolveraš je na potezu.

Roland se budi iz sna, shvatajući da je prošlo deset godina i da je Čovek u crnom sada samo hrpa kostiju pokraj njega. Međutim, pročitana sudbina leži pred njim, čekajući da se obistini. On nastavlja svoj put, susrećući se sa novim izazovima, a prvi svakako leži pred lebdećim vratima na kojima piše "Sužanj". Shvatajući da su ovo tek prva vrata i da će ih biti još na putu do Mračne kule, ne preostaje mu nijedna druga opcija no da
Charlene
3.5 stars!

This is the second book in my re-read of the Dark Tower series via audiobook.

For some reason this series alternates narrators. I can't figure that out? I guess it's not that important, but I much prefer George Guidall who narrated the first book, than Frank Muller, who narrated this one. This audio actually brought my rating down by a half star. I love the story, but the narrator did not work well for me.

I shall march onward with book 3 soon!
Kane
Jan 31, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with shellfish allergies
The Drawing of the Three deserves my five stars not simply for being a kick-ass book but for a more important reason: it rescued and defined the entire Dark Tower series.

If you read, or read between the lines of most reviews of The Gunslinger, you'll find that many people enjoyed it but were not blown away. The style is inaccessible, there are no answers to questions and you don't really understand what's going on. Then read what people say when they hit Drawing. They are catapulted into the ser
Terry
The Drawing of the Three is the second book of Stephen King’s magnum opus The Dark Tower. So far it hasn’t been bad, but I have to admit that I’m not fully a believer yet. It’s a good story, taking up where we left off in The Gunslinger with Roland on the beach after having confronted the Man in Black and pondering his next move. After being attacked and wounded by a lobstrosity (wtf?! couldn’t King come up with something better? I mean it kind of makes Roland look like a dweeb that he was overc ...more
Beregond 3019
Aug 12, 2008 Beregond 3019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving on in the Dark Tower series, we come to the quintessential suspense fantasy of Stephen King's legacy. You've made it- trudged through three hundred drawn-out, dense pages of Roland's quest and its beginnings. You may not be expecting what you're about to get from this read. Take my advice: wait until you don't have work in the morning, find a quiet small room with no distractions, dive in, and prepare to be amazed. My only problem with The Drawing of the Three was its length; it might hav ...more
Around the Year i...: The Drawing of Three, by Stephen King 3 21 Jul 09, 2016 05:40PM
Agentes do L.I.V....: Livro de Abril de 2016 3 15 Mar 21, 2016 07:29AM
2016 Reading Chal...: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King 1 10 Mar 12, 2016 07:53AM
Camino hacia la T...: II La llegada de los tres 2 13 Feb 18, 2016 01:14PM
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery
  • The Regulators
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Servant of the Shard (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #3; The Sellswords, #1)
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)
  • Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)
More about Stephen King...

The Dark Tower (7 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

“Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.” 276 likes
“What we like to think of ourselves and what we really are rarely have much in common....” 174 likes