Atomic Ranch: Design Ideas for Stylish Ranch Homes

Atomic Ranch: Design Ideas for Stylish Ranch Homes

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Atomic Ranch is an in-depth exploration of post-World War II residential architecture in America. Mid-century ranches (1946-1970) range from the decidedly modern gable-roofed Joseph Eichler tracts in the San Francisco Bay area and butterfly wing houses in Palm Springs, Florida, to the unassuming brick or stucco L-shaped ranches and split-levels so common throughout the Uni...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Ranch

Greg
Beautiful photos. Inspirational for anyone who aspires to one day own a mid-century ranch-style home and make it the best that it can be. Great companion piece to the magazine of the same title
Caryn Sobel
A compilation derived from the quarterly, highlighting different facets and issues of owning a mid-century ranch.

I have been a fan of Michelle Gringeri-Brown since she was at American Bungalow, and she and Jim Brown make a great team. Pertinent material accompanied by clear, useful photography, and a sense of humor and style to the writing that captures the spirit of the time.

I especially like Gringeri-Brown's focus on affordable renovation and living. This sets her apart, in my mind, from man...more
jess
I really enjoyed this book. My house is too old to use much of this inspiration myself, but it was fun to flip through. This book is an peek into some homes that have been lovingly restored by MCM-enthusiast homeowners. One of the first houses in the book has an VCT flooring throughout the main living spaces. I liked it so much, I tried to convince my wife we should do that to our house. We compromised on flooring our chicken coop with VCT. My favorite parts were the gardens/exteriors. Atomic Ra...more
Becky
This book was interesting and had some neat pictures, but I really like "Atomic Ranch Midcentury Interiors" much better.
This book had more houses featured, but you didn't get to visualize what the house looked like as a whole like in "Midcentury Interiors".
Pam
This gorgeous book has wonderful photographs of numerous ranch style homes featuring mid-century modern design elements. Each chapter of the book features different ranch homes including a brief story of their history and renovation. The decoration of the homes vary widely from clean neutral minimalist styles to colorful lived-in homes which are obviously occupied by families. The stories of the homes and families are interesting and the variety insures you will find something that would work wi...more
Courtney
This is a great book on mid-century ranch style houses. Lots of great Eichler architecture and beyond. I like how it gives tips and overviews for remodeling/updating old ranches. A great overview on this type of architecture...
Fu
my friend stacy sent me this coffee table book for xmas!!! i haven't put it down since! i just love this design more than anything and this book has it all.. from furniture and appliances to landscaping in this style.
Marc
There's something about these types of homes that immediately attract me. The architecture is so stylish and modern, without being cookie-cutter and dull. If I ever win the lotto, one of these will be mine. :)
Krystal
Was just "ok". Some great picts and concepts. Frustrated with the photographs. A few were duplicated and some textual descriptions weren't illustrated with an associated photograph leaving you hanging.
Haley
Read this Christmas Day 2006 and went out and found a mid-century modern ranch house New Year's weekend... finalized the purchase 6 weeks later. Truly inspiring and great photography.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
So many good ideas in this. I don't have a ranch house nor do i have all 1950s furniture, but i can look at these pages and really appreciate the people that do!
Heather
Great ideas for flooring, etc. I wanted to see more "before" photos but got good information/inspiration for our MCM renovation.
Jason Moreland
Wishbook of homes I wish I owned. EIchlers and Kreisels are represented. It showcases westcoast modernism at it's finest.
Debbie
Loved this book- With a great mid-century house to renovate for our retirement, this will be a wonderful resource!
Kathie H
Feb 13, 2008 Kathie H rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
This book had me drooling for more fiberglass & formica! I got so many ideas for mid-century decorating.
Bill
Many good insights and ideas on how to restore and decorate a mid-century ranch home.
Marsha Tabor
Marsha Tabor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michelle Gringeri-Brown and Jim Brown publish Atomic Ranch magazine, a quarterly devoted to midcentury homes. Gringeri-Brown was the editor of American Bungalow magazine for nine years, and her freelance work has been published in Westways, the Los Angeles Times, Photographers' Forum,and Sunset magazine's View.
More about Michelle Gringeri-Brown...
Atomic Ranch Midcentury Interiors