Start by marking “Atomic Ranch: Design Ideas for Stylish Ranch Homes” as Want to Read:
Atomic Ranch: Design Ideas for Stylish Ranch Homes

Atomic Ranch: Design Ideas for Stylish Ranch Homes

Atomic Ranch is an in-depth exploration of post-World War II residential architecture in America. Mid-century ranches (1946-1970) range from the decidedly modern gable-roofed Joseph Eichler tracts in the San Francisco Bay area and butterfly wing houses in Palm Springs, Florida, to the unassuming brick or stucco L-shaped ranches and split-levels so common throughout the Uni ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Ranch

Greg
Apr 09, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful photos. Inspirational for anyone who aspires to one day own a mid-century ranch-style home and make it the best that it can be. Great companion piece to the magazine of the same title
Julie H.
Oct 21, 2016 Julie H. rated it really liked it
Three trains on my commuter line were cancelled this afternoon with the result that I snagged this book out of the library as I headed off to the station with the knowledge that I'd likely have at least an hour or two at my disposal to read through it as I awaited a ride home with cautious optimism. Gringeri-Brown's text and Brown's photographs did not disappoint. The book is a truly happy mix of scholarship and image, with a nice breadth of geographic and temporal coverage of the oh-so-underrat ...more
Caryn Sobel
Jul 18, 2009 Caryn Sobel rated it really liked it
A compilation derived from the quarterly, highlighting different facets and issues of owning a mid-century ranch.

I have been a fan of Michelle Gringeri-Brown since she was at American Bungalow, and she and Jim Brown make a great team. Pertinent material accompanied by clear, useful photography, and a sense of humor and style to the writing that captures the spirit of the time.

I especially like Gringeri-Brown's focus on affordable renovation and living. This sets her apart, in my mind, from man
jess
Jul 06, 2011 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: interiors, 2011
I really enjoyed this book. My house is too old to use much of this inspiration myself, but it was fun to flip through. This book is an peek into some homes that have been lovingly restored by MCM-enthusiast homeowners. One of the first houses in the book has an VCT flooring throughout the main living spaces. I liked it so much, I tried to convince my wife we should do that to our house. We compromised on flooring our chicken coop with VCT. My favorite parts were the gardens/exteriors. Atomic Ra ...more
Pam
Nov 25, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
This gorgeous book has wonderful photographs of numerous ranch style homes featuring mid-century modern design elements. Each chapter of the book features different ranch homes including a brief story of their history and renovation. The decoration of the homes vary widely from clean neutral minimalist styles to colorful lived-in homes which are obviously occupied by families. The stories of the homes and families are interesting and the variety insures you will find something that would work wi ...more
Marc
Jan 13, 2009 Marc rated it really liked it
There's something about these types of homes that immediately attract me. The architecture is so stylish and modern, without being cookie-cutter and dull. If I ever win the lotto, one of these will be mine. :)
White House Public Library
This is a great book about America's mid century tract houses. Great photos and info. This is a good book to browse and read. Great book for any fan of serious modern, mid century, googie, or boom generation cold war living and style.
Deana Carpenter
Apr 10, 2008 Deana Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alreadyread
my friend stacy sent me this coffee table book for xmas!!! i haven't put it down since! i just love this design more than anything and this book has it all.. from furniture and appliances to landscaping in this style.
Krystal
Mar 25, 2014 Krystal rated it liked it
Was just "ok". Some great picts and concepts. Frustrated with the photographs. A few were duplicated and some textual descriptions weren't illustrated with an associated photograph leaving you hanging.
Courtney
Jan 21, 2009 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on mid-century ranch style houses. Lots of great Eichler architecture and beyond. I like how it gives tips and overviews for remodeling/updating old ranches. A great overview on this type of architecture...
Becky
Jul 23, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: home-improvement
This book was interesting and had some neat pictures, but I really like "Atomic Ranch Midcentury Interiors" much better.
This book had more houses featured, but you didn't get to visualize what the house looked like as a whole like in "Midcentury Interiors".
LemontreeLime
Jun 22, 2012 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
So many good ideas in this. I don't have a ranch house nor do i have all 1950s furniture, but i can look at these pages and really appreciate the people that do!
Heather
Aug 03, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Great ideas for flooring, etc. I wanted to see more "before" photos but got good information/inspiration for our MCM renovation.
Debbie
Dec 30, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book- With a great mid-century house to renovate for our retirement, this will be a wonderful resource!
Kathie H
Jan 18, 2008 Kathie H rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
This book had me drooling for more fiberglass & formica! I got so many ideas for mid-century decorating.
Jason Moreland
Dec 03, 2007 Jason Moreland rated it it was amazing
Wishbook of homes I wish I owned. EIchlers and Kreisels are represented. It showcases westcoast modernism at it's finest.
Haley
Jul 18, 2008 Haley rated it really liked it
Read this Christmas Day 2006 and went out and found a mid-century modern ranch house New Year's weekend... finalized the purchase 6 weeks later. Truly inspiring and great photography.
Donald Shank
Mar 04, 2016 Donald Shank rated it really liked it
Half of me thinks these are god-awful dorky houses. The other half (the dork half?) thinks they are sooo cool![br/]Like a journey through the late 50's, but without the bad wardrobe.
Bill
Dec 12, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Many good insights and ideas on how to restore and decorate a mid-century ranch home.
Elizabeth
Sep 14, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
High-end décor and inspiration for mid-century modern design fans.
April
April rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2008
Kim Schutte
Kim Schutte rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
May 27, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Houman Babai
Houman Babai rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Texasdago
Texasdago rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2008
Laura rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2014
Bean
Bean rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2009
Heather M.
Heather M. rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
  • Case Study Houses
  • Modern Architecture
  • Architecture: From Pre-history to Postmodernism: Library Edition
  • Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use & Avoid
  • Landscape Graphics: Plan, Section, and Perspective Drawing of Landscape Spaces
  • The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide
  • Wild Mary: The Life Of Mary Wesley
Michelle Gringeri-Brown and Jim Brown publish Atomic Ranch magazine, a quarterly devoted to midcentury homes. Gringeri-Brown was the editor of American Bungalow magazine for nine years, and her freelance work has been published in Westways, the Los Angeles Times, Photographers' Forum,and Sunset magazine's View.
More about Michelle Gringeri-Brown...