Blank-133x176
Omoo

Herman Melville

Omoo

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This work has been previously published and carefully edited by humans to be read digitally on your eReader. Please enjoy this historical and classic work. All of our titles are only 99 cents and are formatted to work with the Nook. Also, if it is an illustrated work, you will be able to see all of the original images. This makes them the best quality classic works availab...more
Published November 30th 2010 by Quality Classics (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Omoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omoo

Darwin8u
tahiti

Omoo is Part II of Melville's adventures in the South Pacific. Typee, his first book, focused on the French Polynesian island of Nuku Hiva (Marquesas Islands). Omoo starts after Melville leaves Nuku Hiva, and centers on his adventures on a whaling ship, the ship's subsequent "soft mutiny" and his imprisonment with a majority of the ship's crew on the island of Tahiti.

Melville writes travel memoirs the same way my father-in-law would tell stories of his youth: built on a solid framework of verac...more
Mat
I read Omoo straight after Typee and was vastly disappointed.

While the former novel has a great narrative which keeps the reader interested, I found this second book of Melville's to be quite boring.

It reads more like a journal than a novel, if that makes sense.
What also made this harder to read was Melville's evident dislike and disdain for the Tahitian people.
While he largely extolled the mores and character of the natives in Typee, he does not share the same enthusiasm for the Tahitians. Eve...more
Brian Bess
As Melville stated himself, Omoo is only a sequel to Typee in that it follows the events that occur to the narrator after his experience with the Typee people from his first book. Only referred to once by his nickname Typee, the otherwise unnamed narrator agrees to temporary employment on the whaling ship Julia but finds himself in the middle of a crew that is dominated by a first mate while the captain has abdicated his responsibility and retreated into his infirmity. Upon the rejection of appe...more
Azzageddi
Written in typically sumptuous Melvillean prose, this book, while admittedly more plotless than Typee: A Peep at Polynesian Life, was no less enjoyable to read; indeed, it was moreso at times, I felt. I imagine it was quite a daring book at the time, given that Melville does not spare the Christian missionaries from criticism. In fact, I'd say the contrast between the imported Western "progress" and autochthonous culture was a theme that pervaded the entire book.

I've worked anachronistically, st...more
Ben Eldridge
A frustrating read, in that the meta-textual structuring was fascinating whilst the content of the novel itself was pretty much a total failure. Character-wise, the main protagonists were two of the most obnoxious and annoying I've encountered, and especially in the direct aftermath of reading Richard Henry Dana's Two Years Before The Mast the entire body of sailors we were supposed to sympathize with in Oomoo were like spoiled little brats. The narrative drive was almost non-existent, the short...more
Mike
'True' story of South Sea adventures told by a guy from New York. It picks up where his last left off: our protagonist narrowly escaping the inclosing hospitality of a cannibal tribe to find himself in the dubious embrace of a whaling ship. Although thankful to be rescued, the hero must contend with meager rations, an unhappy crew, a weak captain and his vindictive officers, and a dismal ship environment overrun with vermin. However dire the circumstances, the narrative remains aloof to despair,...more
Brian
The plot summary is far more enticing than the details of the book: "A failed mutiny lands the narrator in a Tahitian jail where he and his companion are treated with curiosity and kindness. After their eventual release, the two embark on a series of adventures as they work at odd jobs, view traditional rites and customs on the island, and contrive an audience with the Tahitian queen," (Goodreads.com). Melville is certainly not short on detail when it comes to describing these events, as well as...more
Keith
Omoo continues Melville's (semi-autobiographical) adventures from Typee. Having escaped from the cannibals of Typee, he takes part in a whaling boat strike/mutiny, spends time in Tahiti "jail" (not as bad as it sounds), escapes/is released and travels around the Tahitian islands, then joins another whaling ship.

Like Typee, Omoo is a mixture of fact and (mostly) fiction. As some critics have noted, Melville "altered facts and dates, elaborated events, assimilated foreign materials, invented epis...more
Paul Foley
It's easy to see the seeds of the marvelous Moby Dick in this novel and its predecessor, Typee. More of a straightforward sea story and far less metaphysical, these two share with Melville's most famous work an elegant philosophically-tinged writing style and a Melville's curious blend of fiction, natural history, and anthropological reportage. It's an odd, and admittedly a sometimes irritating mix. But my god, the man can write!

"So far as courage, seamanship, and a natural aptitude for keeping...more
Marko-Michael
It was quite confused, slow and uninteresting until, about three fourths of the way through, it began to more closely resemble the writing in "Typee".
Fred
An improvement over Typee in all ways, but still ultimately a slight work. The vocabulary has begun to grow more varied and the prose is more accomplished. The most interesting thing for me was the sections where Melville completely breaks the narrative and inserts historical research on the Tahitian and Sandwich Islands. Possibly prefigures the running commentary on whaling in Moby Dick. An easy enjoyable read of South Sea adventures with some serious social commentary also. Recommended
David
Listened to this from Librivox. It's fun, and I love Melville's voice here. He's got a great wit. This is still not all that recognizable as a novel, with long stretches of description of nature, trees, fruit, shoes, sand, clothing, and all manner of interactions with the indigenous islanders. Very little plot. But it's not fair, really, to hold against it the fact that Melville got so much more complicated, interesting, and brilliant in his work later on.

Enjoyable.
Alex
Classic story of a sailor who is accused of taking part in a mutiny and who is then left behind in Tahiti. While there, he travels though the islands and villages of Tahiti describing the local chieftains, missionary activities, and the local customs at the onset of French colonial rule.
David De Groot
Revitalized my patriotism
Jason
This was better written than Typee, but Melville is still years away from writing literature. He's still just chronicling the events of his past. Ending is a little anticlimatic. An interesting glimpse into a place and time. As with Typee, I can see elements that evolve in later fiction.
Carol
Melville did not keep a diary of his South Sea adventures but Omoo reads like one. It's a nice overview of the things he encountered at sea and on tropical shores 150 years ago. It's a good read but nowhere near what he produces a few years later in Moby Dick.
Calvin Hecht
Herman Melville's “Omoo” is no “Moby Dick.” Instead, it is a boring and repetitive narrative about a malcontent and undisciplined crew on a whaling ship in the South Seas. My Kindle says I persevered for 32% of this plodding, going-nowhere story before I quit
Harry
Much like Typee. Informative and interesting. Melville is a good story teller and his characters are likeable. This has even less plot than even Typee but somehow that's just fine. A fun stroll around the islands as they existed 100 years ago.
Clint
It has been a long time since I read Typee and White Jacket, but I think this is better than both. Characters are more developed and the story lines are clear. Melville's prose is pleasant to read and the stories and characters are interesting.
Joe
Little story line ... no plot. Seems to be just a series of incidents experienced by two "adventurers" in the South Pacific around Tahiti. A sequel to Typee, but no where near as good. Not one of Melville's best.
Alan
A rather rambling travelogue that provides a few humorous incidents, a handful of memorable characters, and a touch of insight into the transitional lives of Tahitians after the imposition of Christianity.
John Moonitz
This was an incredibly fun read! Fast, full of adventure, riveting from beginning to end! A fantastic introduction to Melville for any reader intimidated by the weightiness of Moby Dick . . .
Donna
This book always comes up in my crossword puzzles so when I ran across it, I just had to read it. Was a little difficult to get into in parts but overall was a fairly good read.
Gobasso
Picks up where Typee leaves off. A sea adventure in a world that no longer exists. Sail to the South Seas of 150 years ago without leaving your living room.
Martin
Like Typee, is more travelogue than story. Be warned modern reader. Certain parts--beginning-- quite enjoyable. Melville finding his way.
Clint
I went into this book a little too excited I guess after reading Typee, but it's still pretty good, just not as adventurous.
Kathy
Not the most riveting reading, but I was in French Polynesia when I read this book, so I found it interesting.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4045/4...
Angie
Melville could probably have written 300 pages on minty toothpaste and I'd still read it.
Greg
Melville is a great archivist of detail really good alternative to history books from this period
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Pick - Omoo 1 4 Oct 29, 2012 08:12PM
  • The Nigger of the Narcissus
  • Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World
  • South Sea Tales
  • South Sea Tales
  • The Black Robe
  • Mr. Midshipman Easy
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
  • Confessions of an English Opium-eater & Other Writings (World's Classics)
  • Pictures from Italy
  • How I Found Livingstone in Central Africa
  • The English Governess at the Siamese Court: The True Story Behind 'The King and I'
  • The Shuttle
  • Esther Waters
  • Castle Rackrent and Ennui
  • A Laodicean: A Story of Today (Everyman Library)
  • The Morgesons
  • The Open Boat and Other Stories
  • The Doctor's Wife
Herman Melville was an American novelist, short story writer, essayist, and poet. His first two books gained much attention, though they were not bestsellers, and his popularity declined precipitously only a few years later. By the time of his death he had been almost completely forgotten, but his longest novel, Moby-Dick — largely considered a failure during his lifetime, and most responsible for...more
More about Herman Melville...
Moby-Dick; or, The Whale Bartleby, the Scrivener Billy Budd, Sailor Benito Cereno Billy Budd and Other Stories