Start by marking “Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)

Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery #8)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Holly Winter and her Alaskan Malamute, Rowdy, are spending a week at Waggin' Tail Camp, but Holly receives a sympathy card for the loss of her pet--is it a sick joke or is Kimi, her other Malamute, in jeopardy?
Published January 5th 2011 by Crimeline (first published December 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ribbon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ribbon

Nolan
I can’t help but compare this author to Laurien Berenson, whose masterful mysteries about dog show enthusiast and amateur sleuth Melanie Travis are favorites of mine in the cozy mystery category. This author doesn’t even come close, alas.

As the book opens, dog trainer and amateur sleuth Holly Winter has been given the assignment to cover the opening of a new camp designed to give dog handlers and their dogs an opportunity to both relax and learn new skills during the week. The owner of the camp
Donna
I couldn't finish this book. It has way too much dog show description for the average reader. The appeal is very limited and I am glad it was a library book so it didn't cost anything.
Deer Heart
So slow. Gave it up.
Kristin
Aug 09, 2010 Kristin rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard dog show fans only, not the casual dog lover
I've read other books by this author but years ago because our local bookstore stopped carrying her books. I don't recall her other books being as rooted in the dog show world as this one, and those roots really limit the audience who I could imagine reading through to the end. As someone who has watched the Westminster Dog Show for nearly 20 years and watches many other professional dog-related programs, I know a good bit about showing dogs and what goes into it, but the dog-show-speak was ofte ...more
Rena Sherwood
Says that this is a "dog lover's mystery" and yet the author and the narrator clearly hate dogs. It takes forever for someone to finally die and the mystery to properly begin. There's also a long, embarrassing rant against Elizabeth Marshal Thomas. Has an unsatisfactory ending. This is the only one of the series I read and will not bother with any more.
Mary Kay
This is another enjoyable mystery in the slightly nutty setting of dog show folks. This one is set at a summer dog camp, which sounds like loads of fun. Most of the book is about the activities, participants and dogs, with the murder of a participant showing up in chapter 21. I am going to find out if there is such a camp in western WA, sounds like terrific fun. Since I have done a little agility I was pleased to have a good understanding of the lethal equipment. Class members used to have to he ...more
This was actually the first of the series, that I read, and I found it highly amusing, and very intriguing- with lots of dog world -related tidbits that were recognizable and added to the entertainment.

I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-re
Catherine
Nov 19, 2007 Catherine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other light mystery, dog people
This is the latest one in this series I have completed. It's a fun read, and it did keep me guessing on 'who-did-it' to a point. I don't find the characters in this series as engaging as in others (The Cat Who..., Laurien Berenson series) but the lead character, Holly, is smart and interesting and since the series is set in Cambridge, and New England in general, it's a nice touch of home for me.
Elaine
This was long on details of dog shows and light on mystery and entertainment. The murder didn't happen until page 200. I think even a dog show enthusiast would find this one difficult to slog through. I've got the next in the series and i'm not sure I'm ready to open it up and give it a try.
Terri
Enjoyed the book. The author is a bit wordy, and some of the dog information is compacted a bit (no dog learns agility weaves in a10 minutes!!!), but the story is good, and I liked the characters.
Kim
Yes, I love dogs - animals really but this is for the intensive dog lovers. I struggled to keep up with the dog terms used throughout the book but if you are into "Show Dogs" you might enjoy it.
Kim
Another doggy mystery. In this one, the murder as almost near the end. Again, learned lots about showing dogs and show dogs.
Kristen
This is the second book I've read in the Holly Winters cozy series. I loved the dogs like Kimi. This is a good read.
Helen
good thing I saw a dog show so I could visualize breeds and handling, culprit got away
Tara Choate
Like usual... lots of dog stuff means high rating for me!
Kathy Govreau
Kathy Govreau marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Terisa De Morgan
Terisa De Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Cinlar
Cinlar marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Denise R. Jackson-Holder
Denise R. Jackson-Holder marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Rottweiler Rescue: a Dianne Brennan mystery for dog lovers
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Play Dead (Allie Babcock Mystery, #1)
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...
A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1) Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)

“Universal dilemma of the real dog person: You leave the dog home, you worry what will happen to him when you’re out. You take the dog with you, you worry that something will happen to him when he’s alone in the car….The solution, of course, is to keep the dog at your side twenty-four hours a day, every day, but then you worry that your constant presence is making the dog neurotically dependent, and besides, you can’t go anyplace that doesn’t allow dogs, so you can’t go to work or get your hair cut or go to the dentist. And then, of course, you feel guilty because, after all, doesn’t your wonderful dog deserve a better owner than this poverty-stricken, shaggy-headed slob with decayed teeth? Meanwhile, the dog doesn’t worry about anything. Why should he? That’s what he has you for, and for obvious reasons, he trusts you completely.” 4 likes