Start by marking “One True Love” as Want to Read:
One True Love

Read eBook* *Different edition

One True Love

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,600 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
She Walked Back into His Life...The last place Lisa Alvarez expected to find herself was babysitting for her ex-sister-in-law's three rambunctious kids. But when Maggie called her up and begged for time alone, something in Lisa made her say yes--for one weekend she'd leave behind the career she'd built and her regimented new fiance. But Lisa never expected her handsome ex- ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Avon Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One True Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One True Love

KarenH
Straight up...this book deals with the death of a child; and, although it occurs several years before the story begins, there are a few flashbacks to when it actually happened. This is simply a heads-up for those of you who do not feel comfortable reading a romance novel that employs this subject matter.

Lisa Alvarez is getting married again. Her fiance is her boss...a solid, hard-working businessman 22 years her senior. True, she never knew her father; but she is not seeking a father figure in R
Nenette
Sep 16, 2012 Nenette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit...romance is one of my favorite genre. No matter that the plot is predictable, I still love them. They're sometimes a bit too mushy for my taste, but so long as they don't go too far beyond my limit, I still love them. They're easy to read, and best of all, they've either for the tug-of-the-heart or squirm-in-your-seat factor. I love some tugging and squirming.

This novel has actually two parallel love stories. Though it was clearly Lisa's and Nick's primarily, for me it was equally that
Beverly Warembourg
Jul 11, 2011 Beverly Warembourg rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I tried and tried to like this book, but after reading 56% of the book I just couldn't do it anymore. I didn't like the way any of the characters interacted with each other and I didn't like that there were basically 2 main stories and 1 minor story going on....every time it would get good with one set of characters it would switch to the other story line...AAAAGGGGGHHH Pick one already!!

It's definitely a depature from the Christian romances I tend to read. There wasn't explicit sexual talk, but
Noelle
This is the first book by Barbara Freethy that I have read, though this one fell a bit flat for me I will give her another try.

Lisa (h) comes back to San Diego after her best friend and ex sister- in- law calls in a favor. While she's there helping watch her nieces and newphew she hopes to excape with ever having to see her ex husband Nick (H).

Nick, after reciving a frantic phone call from his 13 year old neice saying that Aunt Lisa needed help watching her and her siblings, goes over to see wha
Anna
Sep 03, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
This is a good old sappy romance which guarantees a having nice time.

It involves six people: Nick and Lisa, who divorced eight yeas ago; Raymond (Lisa’s fiancee), Beverly (Raymond’s competitor an adult woman), Maggie (a widow and mother of three children), and Jeremy (a writer that will help Maggie to solve a mystery). Not all of them are equally well-drawn, but the characters are lovable and the plot engaging. There is also a pinc of magic realism (involving a Robin) that I loved.

While I usual
Buscadora
Oct 28, 2014 Buscadora rated it it was ok
This was my first Barbara Freethy book and I found it to be just OK. I am a sucker for reconciliation romances, so I was excited to pick this one up. I think what turned me off was Elisabeth Lisa, the one that was engaged. I just found it weird that she was engaged to someone so boring and older. It turned me off to her character. I also found her to be so cold about her daughter's death that I just couldn't relate. Nick seemed to make all the effort and I liked him much better between the two. ...more
Anna Erb
Jun 10, 2011 Anna Erb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really glad I read this book. I liked the characters overall and the story was very touching. I didn't give it the full five stars because of a couple of reasons:

- The main character Lisa was way to conflicted at times.
- The possibility that Keith was alive distracted from the main characters.
- The hint of magic throughout the book also distracted from the story.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I would recommend it to people if they understand grief and are romantics.
VLynch
May 28, 2011 VLynch rated it liked it
The story of this book was good, I liked the characters and the situation that brings the characters together. However, the book was not formatted correctly and I had more than 20 different issues with sentences not matching page to page and feeling like a few sentences were missing. I found this quite frustrating.
Rosemary Cantrell
This was a free Kindle book. It turned out to be a romance novel, not my favorite genre by any means. There were some good character lines that might have been better if they didn't degenerate into nothing but sex. A young couple losing a baby to SIDS and the destruction of their marriage in the aftermath has the potential for a very good story. There was some good humor, especially with the sister searching for her dead husband who might not be dead after all. But that line, in spite of its pot ...more
Tmclark
Jun 05, 2011 Tmclark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read of Freethy's and not something I would normally run to but, it was on the Kindle Free 100 list. So, I figured, what the heck. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, albeit slightly predictable.
Erin
May 30, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable! There were quite a few bad typos, but nothing that made it confusing. But, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
awickedrose
May 29, 2011 awickedrose rated it really liked it
Very cute. Typical chick lit but it was a touch more real. There was real pain and real sweetness in it.
Fiary
May 21, 2013 Fiary rated it really liked it
Menurutku ada 2+ cerita di novel ini dengan tokoh sentral Lisa Alvares dan Nick, .

Kisah ini bermula dari Maggie, adik kandung Nick, janda dengan 3 anak yang baru setahun ditinggal Keith, suaminya yang meninggal di lab kimia karena kebakaran, meminta bantuan Lisa untuk menjaga anak-anaknya karena dirinya perlu menenangkan diri dari kejenuhan, kepenatan mengurus anak-anak, dan dari rasa depresi serta kegalauan saat dia menerima sepucuk surat dari seorang wanita yang ditujukan kepada Keith.

Berat ba
Sakura
Jul 14, 2011 Sakura rated it it was ok
Lisa and Nick lost their child and the incident has ruined their marriage. Eight years later, Lisa has closed off her memorizes with Nick and is ready to move on with her life by marrying her boss, who is twenty-one years her senior. But with a fateful phone call from Maggie (Nick’s sister and Lisa’s childhood friend), Lisa is called back to Solana Beach to babysit Maggie’s three children. Nick arrives at Maggie’s door, and the two reunite. The sparks fly but anger quickly replaces any romantic ...more
Christina Rodriguez
Jul 19, 2012 Christina Rodriguez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I LOVED this book! Best Contemporary Romance I've read this year! I'm upset that it took me this long to read it!

Lisa Alvarez is living in LA drowning herself in work and planning her wedding to her boss. The reason why? Because she is trying to escape all of the memories from 8 years ago. That is all
Rupine
Apr 21, 2013 Rupine rated it really liked it
Loved it. Grateful for reading this book by chance. When Lisa leaves nicks life forever after the loss of a baby his world crashes. 8 years down the line their lives have changed. Lisa is now engaged to a much older man and nick has slowly let go of his past only to find Lisa thrown back into his life when his sister maggie goes off on a journey of her own. Little does Lisa know that maggie her one time best friend is infant giving her a favour . She returns To her former home to babysit maggies ...more
Jenny Delandro
Oct 27, 2011 Jenny Delandro rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, e-books
Wow
there is just about everything in this story

two women joined by marriage

One a widow with three kids finds a letter addressed to her husband from another woman....

One married the love of her life very young and when their baby died of SIDS and she ran away and has been unable to talk about the tragedy

(view spoiler)
♥Jamie
Nov 22, 2013 ♥Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars! I really enjoyed One True Love by Barbara Freethy despite the heavy subject matter. This story does contain one main story, a side story, and then a smaller minor story.

Summary:
Lisa Alvarez has spent the last eight years getting her life back together after a tragic loss and the end of her marriage to her first love. Now, with a successful career in L.A. advertising and an accomplished fiancé (her boss and a man 22years her senior), she finally feels like she is living again. What sh
Krystal
Dec 10, 2012 Krystal rated it really liked it
"So would I. I can't promise that nothing that will ever happen to us again but I can promise that I'll never let you down the way i did before.I'll never let you go. no more leaving me behind Lisa. If you come to stay, then you're staying forever. If you're trying to leave me, I'll follow you to the ends of the earth"

Gosh this was soooo flipping good!!!

Lisa is engaged and all of sudden gets a call from her best friend/ ex-sister inlaw, who is in dire need of help with her kids. Heading back ho
Stacey
Barbara Freethy is an exceptional writer that has the ability to capture moment to moment in such a descriptive way that a reader becomes lost within the story.
One True Love is a story about second chances. The main character Lisa and Nick had divorced after the sudden death of their baby. The devestation that ended the marriage will ultimately be the thing that brings them back together. Their love is a love that knows no bounds, yet sorrow and pain lead them to seperate paths. 8 years later th
Alexandria Tale
This is the second book of Ms. Freethy I've read, and it was as good as the first one! Here, we have one main H/h, Nick and Lisa. Side H/h, Maggie and Jeremy. And the minor one, Raymond and Beverly.

Our main couple story started when Maggie asked for Lisa's help when she was arranging her wedding. She wanted Lisa to take care of her children because she about to went mad. Guilty, Lisa accepted Maggie's request and went back to San Diego, hoping she wouldn't meet Nick. Nick was her ex-husband, and
Donna Hatridge
Jun 24, 2011 Donna Hatridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written novel, that is easy to read. Though some may say the ending is predictable, the ending is exactly what we are wanting for these people.

Maggie's husband has been dead for a year when she receives a note from a woman addressed to her husband. Due to the circumstances of her husbands death this pushes Maggie to the breaking point. Needing a short break from her three kids so she can think about what to do, she calls her best friend Lisa to come watch the kids for a weekend.

L
Kim Beck
Jun 03, 2014 Kim Beck rated it it was amazing
Ms. Freethy weaves two beautiful love stories in one book. She is a truly special author who I think everyone needs to read at least once in their life. Her stories are made to last throughout the ages. So take a chance a fall in love with a spectacular author who can weave a great story and this book is one of the best to start with. Full review here: http://allnightbooks.com/?p=232
LJ
ONE TRUE LOVE - G
Freethy, Barbara

The last place Lisa Alvarez expected to find herself was babysitting for her ex-sister-in-law's three rambunctious kids. But when Maggie called her up and begged for time alone, something in Lisa made her say yes—for one weekend she'd leave behind the career she'd built and her regimented new fiance. But Lisa never expected her handsome ex-husband Nick to show up on the doorstep, walking back into her life, and taking over more than the weekend...

Nick can't belie
Barbara Brink
Apr 09, 2012 Barbara Brink rated it really liked it
I haven't read a romance in a while, but Barbara Freethy's "One True Love" pulled me in and made me a believer again. The heartache Lisa and Nick went through losing a child eight years earlier had wrenched them irrevocably apart. But when her best friend, Nick's sister Maggie, newly widowed and having some kind of personal crisis, calls and asks Lisa to come watch her kids for the weekend while she is away, Lisa can't say no.
The chemistry between Nick and Lisa is red hot, without going into eve
Teresa
Sep 04, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a second-chance kick lately, and this is among one of the best that made me feel so many things. I only wish the ending didn't feel so rushed and that it was a little more powerful, especially with all the emotional things they had gone through.
Maria
Very heartfelt novel. While I thought this story reminded me a bit of Love Will Find A Way especially with Maggie's problem, I really did like the characters. Very real. However, the problem I faced with them was the fact that they were all "good" people. Even Raymond, who might seem a workaholic, was a good man.

Lisa and Nick divorced after a tragedy that happened to their child. Nick was in pain, and Lisa cut the world off to numb the pain she was feeling, and ran away to Los Angeles. So when
Martha
Nov 07, 2013 Martha rated it really liked it
I was hesitant to get this book because of the subject matter- the loss of a child, grief, etc., but I was glad I did.

This is a gem from Freethy that's loaded with symbolism and fate. It is sure to please even the most closeted romantic. Freethy smartly chose to drag out the tension between the two, not opting to have them immediately get together like so many romance novels.

It was easy for the reader to get swept up into the emotions the characters were dealing with. Being able to relate to cha
Charlene
May 27, 2011 Charlene rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The characters were really well written. I felt as if I could feel their pain.

When Lisa and Nick's baby died eight years ago, they blamed each other and quickly divorced. Lisa managed to mostly avoid him after that, but now that they're back in the same town watching Nick's sister's kids, she can't avoid him any longer.

Nick's sister, Maggie, thinks she's going crazy. After she gets some hints that her husband may have faked his death a year ago, she decides she has to investig
Mari Saar
Mar 01, 2016 Mari Saar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not think much about this book at the beginning, but from about the middle it was impossible to put it down. I was not that interested about Lisa's story line as much as Maggie's though.
  • Dear Cupid (Texas Heat Wave)
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • Hot Flash
  • Cry Uncle
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Never a Bride
  • Swept Away
  • Fortune's Deception (Fortune, #1)
  • Sparks Fly
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • The Days of Summer
  • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
  • The Mistress' House
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara was traditionally publishe
More about Barbara Freethy...

“You can take all the precautions in the world and worry yourself like crazy, but each individual comes to this world with a life to live, no matter how long or how good or how scary it might be.” 20 likes
“You deserve to be happy. You also deserve to be you” 18 likes