Start by marking “Taken (Deception Series, #01)” as Want to Read:
Taken (Deception Series, #01)

Taken (Deception Series #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,157 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Kayla Sheridan had longed for love, marriage and a family. Now, after a miraculous whirlwind courtship with the man of her dreams, she is his wife. But on their wedding night, he vanishes, leaving Kayla with the bitter realization that her desire has made her an easy mark for deception.

Nick Granville has an ingrained sense of honor and an intense desire to succeed in build...more
Published June 6th 2006 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

Pamela(AllHoney)
Dec 14, 2013 Pamela(AllHoney) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
Loved it. Kayla's new husband disappears on their honeymoon. Nick comes back from a job in Africa to find someone has stolen his identity. They work together to uncover the motives of a con man. There is a 2nd book "Played" that continues with FBI agent, J.T.'s story. The book has a good combination of suspense, mystery and, of course, romance.
Amy MB
I liked the idea of it and for the most part enjoyed it. Although I didn't like the way it ended, I'm hoping there is going to be a sequel? I looked it up but it seems like the characters are different in the 2nd book and I want to know what happens to Kayla, Nick and Jenny when they find out about Evan (don't want to give away the ending). Also wanted to know if they (Kayla and Nick) just stayed "married" or was it never legal to begin with? I also got annoyed at how judgmental Kayla was of her...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
This books is boring. I forced myself to read it yet did not care at all for the characters. Kayla was a complete imbicile. Nick was boring, just a typical alpha guy. The characters felt fake, forced. Evan was vaguely interesting and unique, because I wasn't sure how he ticked or how far he would go, but other than that, I was falling asleep reading this. Some parts were all right, but mostly, it's nothing special.
Lisa Empen
The writing and relationship between characters was so cheesy, I couldn't even finish the book. I read half of it and could bear it anymore. It's the first book that I happily deleted from my kindly. I'll definitely not choose a book from this author again.
Vicky
Just getting into the story, but writing style is simple, lots of clichés and predictability is high. Promises to be a light and amusing read.
Joan
Given my analytical bent and my reading/writing background, personal history and family connections, I found this book interesting but puzzling. The plot was complex and well-woven, the characters were mostly believable and likeable, but I found the writing style unsatisfactory. I never could put my finger on why the style bothered me, but something about it was off-putting - somehow unpolished and too obvious. I had a hard time caring about the story and the suspense was minimal because I was c...more
Foxfire
This is my second book by this author and had the same major flaw as the first one I read:

There is a big suspense build-up but the solution falls flat and fails to make complete sense. There is a lot left unexplained. Very annoying to enjoy a book and then in the last 10% be cheated out of a proper solution to the questions that have been raised.

In this story the romance is more prominent and some of it is a bit cheesy. I would have preferred more focus on the suspense.

The writing is easy, a st...more
Julie
This was a fun and fast read from the beginning. Kayla and Nick had just gotten married. On their wedding night, Nick disappears without a trace. Heartbroken and confused, Kayla goes home. When she stops by Nick's house there is another man there, claiming that he is Nick. The story quickly moves forward with lots of twists and turns. The villain is cunning and always one step ahead of Kayla and the real Nick. It turns out Nick and the villain met in college. There is a lot of mystery in this bo...more
Karen
This book had it all...suspense,.drama, romance. Sure, there are some unbelievable parts but it's fiction and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read it very quickly because I hated to stop and then wonder where it was going to lead next. I liked the chemistry between Nick and Kayla. as well as the storyline that takes you back to a crime committed over 50 years ago and all over San Francisco.
Lhenry
I Liked Kayla and Nick as characters and as a couple. They worked together well and although their romance moved quickly, it was reasonable

The stolen identity plot was a winner. I liked the San Francisco location and totally agree with Kayla's feeling Alcatraz is really creep to visit! Some of the plot was far fetched, (secret tunnels in SF?) well most RS is, but it was presented well enough that I was easily able to suspend disbelief. Jenny's mixed feelings about Evan were understandable, if ex...more
Beth Wilson
romance, suspense - I enjoy Barbara Feethy books. Easy to follow and get into
Diane
Fast paced and clever. Lots of twists in the plot and an open ending.
Jen Telfer
This is a bit like a 'made for TV' movie...cheesy! It is, however, easy reading.
Leslie Sisk
great read!! mystery, romance it has a bit of it all!!! & I like how it leaves it open for the next part!!! Will definitely be reading the next book on this series!!!
Rhonda
Not very impressed. The mystery was decent but I found that I didn't really care for the main characters.
Misty
Good quick read
Lindsay Ewing
A great, quick mystery/romance/thriller!
Lucinda
Great series. Can't wait to read #2.
Necole Moreau
Loved this book! It had me guessing the whole way thru. Had to buy the second one and start reading right away because I want to know who is behind it all!!!
Donna
This book is a well written Romantic Suspense novel. The book kept my attention till the end and then made me eagerly start looking for the next book Played.

Kristin
A good and entertaining novel that i would rate 3.5 stars. The suspense was cheesy at times but still kept my interest. The suspenseful parts didn't keep me to the edge of my seat and I felt that parts were easy to predict. As it takes place in San Francisco, my hometown, i had a little more interest in the setting/story and could visualize all areas they visited around the city. But overall good enough that I will be reading the next part in the series.
Rose
I Loved this book ,great read.
Kris
3.5 STARS

"When her husband disappears on their wedding night, Kayla fears that she's been an easy mark for deception. Then she meets Nick, a stranger who also crossed paths with Kayla's husband. Together Kayla and Nick embark on a journey to uncover the secrets of their pasts-and the motives of a brilliant con man who's out to get them." (From Amazon)

A good blend of adventure, romance and suspense.
Michelle Kannan
I love Barbara Freethy. She not only writes some sexy characters and steamy scenes but this lady knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat! I've read 3 of her books now and I'm amazed and how she does sucha good job of creating a totally different mystery each time. But they are always centered around deep family secret which make it even more exciting!

Can't wait to read the 2nd in this series.
Gia
Very good book! Kept me guessing throughout! On to book 2 now...
Lisa
I love a great love story especially when it has danger and suspense. Taken had the potential of being one of those but lacked convincing dialogue and believability when resolving conflict within the story. This book needed a twist. Without it, Taken was predictable and blah. I liked it enough to read it in a day but not enough to want to read the rest in the series.
Melissa
Taken is the book that comes before Played. It starts with Kayla marrying a man who said his name is Nick. Kayla gets duped and the real Nick gets his identity stolen. They team up to try to find Evan the con man who is out to get gold stolen in the 1950's. A nice quick read that has you wanting to shout at the characters at times.
Caroline G'wattage
What a brillant read!

first book i have read from Barbara Freethy, and l shall admit l am honestly hooked.

'Taken' was full of suspense romance and thriller.

Man it was a page turner, it is lengthy book, finished it in a week, could not put it down.

i recommend this book highly, l will have to read 'Played' the sequel of the book.
Vicky Tripp
Seems like I've read this scenario in a Nora Roberts book.
  • Nerves of Steel (Hart and Drake, #1)
  • Mistletoe Mine (Eternity Springs, #3.5)
  • In Close (Bulletproof, #3)
  • Desperate Deeds (A-Tac, #3)
  • Through Smoke
  • Eyes of Fire
  • Marking Time (Treading Water, #2)
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
  • Blood and Roses
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3)
  • Breaking All the Rules
  • Deadly Ties (Deadly, #2)
  • White Heat (Firefighter #1)
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • Once Around
  • Good Girls Don’t
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara has since published 35 nov...more
More about Barbara Freethy...
Just the Way You Are Don't Say a Word Ryan's Return All She Ever Wanted Silent Run (Silent, #1)

“Понякога след най-тъмните нощи идват най-светлите дни.” 1 likes