Start by marking “Taken (Deception Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taken (Deception Series, #1)

Taken (Deception Series #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,538 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Kayla Sheridan had longed for love, marriage and a family. Now, after a miraculous whirlwind courtship with the man of her dreams, she is his wife. But on their wedding night, he vanishes, leaving Kayla with the bitter realization that her desire has made her an easy mark for deception.

Nick Granville has an ingrained sense of honor and an intense desire to succeed in build
Published June 6th 2006 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

When You Dare by Lori FosterI Can See You by Karen      RoseYou Belong to Me by Karen      RoseHave You Seen Her? by Karen      RoseI'm Watching You by Karen      Rose
Best Romantic Suspense 2011
42nd out of 108 books — 27 voters
Bared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesReal by Katy EvansMy Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyReflected in You by Sylvia Day
Best Romance Books. The Best!
382nd out of 428 books — 466 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela(AllHoney)
Sep 15, 2015 Pamela(AllHoney) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
Loved it. Kayla's new husband disappears on their honeymoon. Nick comes back from a job in Africa to find someone has stolen his identity. They work together to uncover the motives of a con man. There is a 2nd book "Played" that continues with FBI agent, J.T.'s story. The book has a good combination of suspense, mystery and, of course, romance.
Foxfire
Aug 27, 2013 Foxfire rated it liked it
This is my second book by this author and had the same major flaw as the first one I read:

There is a big suspense build-up but the solution falls flat and fails to make complete sense. There is a lot left unexplained. Very annoying to enjoy a book and then in the last 10% be cheated out of a proper solution to the questions that have been raised.

In this story the romance is more prominent and some of it is a bit cheesy. I would have preferred more focus on the suspense.

The writing is easy, a st
Julie
Jan 04, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a fun and fast read from the beginning. Kayla and Nick had just gotten married. On their wedding night, Nick disappears without a trace. Heartbroken and confused, Kayla goes home. When she stops by Nick's house there is another man there, claiming that he is Nick. The story quickly moves forward with lots of twists and turns. The villain is cunning and always one step ahead of Kayla and the real Nick. It turns out Nick and the villain met in college. There is a lot of mystery in this bo ...more
Amy MB
Feb 07, 2014 Amy MB rated it liked it
I liked the idea of it and for the most part enjoyed it. Although I didn't like the way it ended, I'm hoping there is going to be a sequel? I looked it up but it seems like the characters are different in the 2nd book and I want to know what happens to Kayla, Nick and Jenny when they find out about Evan (don't want to give away the ending). Also wanted to know if they (Kayla and Nick) just stayed "married" or was it never legal to begin with? I also got annoyed at how judgmental Kayla was of her ...more
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
This books is boring. I forced myself to read it yet did not care at all for the characters. Kayla was a complete imbicile. Nick was boring, just a typical alpha guy. The characters felt fake, forced. Evan was vaguely interesting and unique, because I wasn't sure how he ticked or how far he would go, but other than that, I was falling asleep reading this. Some parts were all right, but mostly, it's nothing special.
Lisa Empen
Dec 16, 2011 Lisa Empen rated it did not like it
The writing and relationship between characters was so cheesy, I couldn't even finish the book. I read half of it and could bear it anymore. It's the first book that I happily deleted from my kindly. I'll definitely not choose a book from this author again.
Vicky
Aug 06, 2012 Vicky rated it it was ok
Just getting into the story, but writing style is simple, lots of clichés and predictability is high. Promises to be a light and amusing read.
Lois
Aug 10, 2014 Lois rated it it was ok
Rushed and incomplete ending....totally left me feeling let down and a ploy to get you to read the next book.
Lorie
Jul 02, 2013 Lorie rated it really liked it
Very exciting book from a great author. If you like mystery and some love then you'll like this book!!
Julie Barrett
Jul 11, 2011 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
new author to me, love her books, stores are very real
Donna
Jul 15, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
WOW.......
Nicki
Apr 20, 2015 Nicki rated it it was ok
Writing style feels a bit clunky, though the idea initially was interesting, and kept me reading on.
Half a star removed when I got to the end to find things aren't resolved properly and actually there's a series of these books, the next instalment costing $5. I hate that!!!
I have no problem paying $5 or more for a great stand alone book. What I do object to is all these "freebies" which are really just free to draw you in and get you to buy umpteen books.
Deleting this and any other series I fi
Joan
Oct 26, 2012 Joan rated it liked it
Given my analytical bent and my reading/writing background, personal history and family connections, I found this book interesting but puzzling. The plot was complex and well-woven, the characters were mostly believable and likeable, but I found the writing style unsatisfactory. I never could put my finger on why the style bothered me, but something about it was off-putting - somehow unpolished and too obvious. I had a hard time caring about the story and the suspense was minimal because I was c ...more
Chloe
Jun 19, 2015 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5/3 stars - "liked it" but certainly didn't "love it".

I really liked the idea of this: new husband disappears on their wedding night. Another man's identity stolen. The new wife teaming up with this man to find the missing husband.

However, it was far too clichéd and cheesy for me. It could have been great, but was just too predictable - cue some eye-rolling "seriously???" moments. The whole mystery side of things felt like a Nancy Drew.
Joy
Oct 06, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
Really good for the romantic thriller genre. When it started out, I thought the characters were going to grate on me, but they didn't and I could not begin to predict where this was going. I'll read more from this author for sure. In fact, I am reading the next in the series now.
Sandy Miller
May 03, 2015 Sandy Miller rated it it was amazing
Non stop intrigue. Kayla is a very relatable character who was too trusting but grows and develops throughout the book. Barbara Freethy has a way of spinning the tales to leave us wanting more. I could see myself in the landmarks of San Francisco. Luckily, this is a series!
Karen
Feb 01, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This book had it all...suspense,.drama, romance. Sure, there are some unbelievable parts but it's fiction and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read it very quickly because I hated to stop and then wonder where it was going to lead next. I liked the chemistry between Nick and Kayla. as well as the storyline that takes you back to a crime committed over 50 years ago and all over San Francisco.
Lhenry
Feb 10, 2012 Lhenry rated it really liked it
I Liked Kayla and Nick as characters and as a couple. They worked together well and although their romance moved quickly, it was reasonable

The stolen identity plot was a winner. I liked the San Francisco location and totally agree with Kayla's feeling Alcatraz is really creep to visit! Some of the plot was far fetched, (secret tunnels in SF?) well most RS is, but it was presented well enough that I was easily able to suspend disbelief. Jenny's mixed feelings about Evan were understandable, if ex
danvillegirl Dailey
Feb 01, 2015 danvillegirl Dailey rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. Although I wanted to pull my hair out at the end. It did pull me into the second book. This series I thought had the right mix of mystery and romance.
Beth Wilson
Feb 15, 2014 Beth Wilson rated it it was amazing
romance, suspense - I enjoy Barbara Feethy books. Easy to follow and get into
Cindy
Jan 03, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it
A fun mystery read. Not overcomplicated but also not predictable.
Diane
Jul 29, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Fast paced and clever. Lots of twists in the plot and an open ending.
Jen Telfer
Mar 07, 2014 Jen Telfer rated it it was ok
This is a bit like a 'made for TV' movie...cheesy! It is, however, easy reading.
Ellie
Nov 22, 2014 Ellie rated it liked it
Easy read. Good lazy day book!
Donna
Jan 03, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
An easy read, with interesting story line mixed with a simple romantic story intertwined.
Leslie Sisk
Apr 15, 2014 Leslie Sisk rated it really liked it
great read!! mystery, romance it has a bit of it all!!! & I like how it leaves it open for the next part!!! Will definitely be reading the next book on this series!!!
Rhonda
Mar 04, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook, 2014-read
Not very impressed. The mystery was decent but I found that I didn't really care for the main characters.
Misty
Mar 26, 2014 Misty rated it really liked it
Good quick read
Lindsay Ewing
Feb 13, 2014 Lindsay Ewing rated it liked it
A great, quick mystery/romance/thriller!
Lucinda
Feb 26, 2014 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series. Can't wait to read #2.
  • In Close (Bulletproof, #3)
  • Nerves of Steel (Hart and Drake, #1)
  • Mistletoe Mine (Eternity Springs, #3.5)
  • Good Girls Don’t
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • Home Again (Chesapeake Diaries #2)
  • Her Stolen Past
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Frame-Up
  • Heartbreak Hotel (Twilight Cove, #3)
  • Rocky Coast Romance (Holiday Harbor #1)
  • Silver Sparks (Barringer's Pass #1)
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Sara's Mates (Sugar Creek #3)
  • Chicago Lightning (Nathan Heller Short Stories, Volume 3)
  • Double Bound  (Tales from Ballena Beach, # 2)
  • Dark Quarry (Mike Angel Mystery #1)
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara was traditionally publishe
More about Barbara Freethy...

Deception Series (2 books)
  • Played (Deception Series, #2)

“Понякога след най-тъмните нощи идват най-светлите дни.” 3 likes