Start by marking “The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven, Step-By-Step Techniques for Overcoming Your Fear” as Want to Read:

This new edition of The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook offers a comprehensive program to help shy people confront their fears and become actively involved in the social world. The activities in this workbook help readers find their strengths and weaknesses, explore and examine their fears, and create personalized plans for change.
Published July 2nd 2008 by New Harbinger Publications (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook

Andrew
Feb 14, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very well written and laid out. I've yet to see any substantial results and I have my doubts. I feel it will be unique to each person. I could see some benefitting next to none from this, and for some it being a life-changer. If you've reached the point where you're reading this and debating whether you should invest in it or not, then I very much recommend it. Even if its not very effective, it will at least elicit some understanding and action.
Leslie
Jul 07, 2016 Leslie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing-redhead
Jessica Boling
Dec 30, 2015 Jessica Boling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know a book is going to be tremendously helpful to you when the very first story is pretty much written for you. The first story in this book is about a woman who is nervous about her wedding. She is not necessarily worried about the actual marriage but the ceremony, she doesn't like being the center of attention. This story had me pegged! Not only does this workbook go through different senarios but is full of advice to give a person self-confidence.

The workbook is full of journaling lines
Loriann Oberlin
Jul 17, 2014 Loriann Oberlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has proven to be a good resource outlining for adult clients how worry, fear and panic adversely affect life and work. It interrupts interpersonal and performance situations. The author uses as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) approach that we know works for many kinds of anxiety.

Strategies such as journaling, exposure, monitoring forms, symptom reduction testing forms, goal setting, working with automatic thoughts (the cognitive piece), and understanding the diagnostic criteria are
Bry
Jul 15, 2013 Bry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book was recommended to me by a therapist who uses it to inform her own practice. The books includes a comprehensive, yet brief overview of the disorder. The cognitive-behavioural strategies are clearly and concisely presented, and the suggestions for exposure exercises are excellent. It seems like this would be a very helpful resource for individuals wishing to overcome shyness and social anxiety. Of course, merely reading the book will not help. Insight alone is not enough; if you want to ...more
Kelly
Feb 12, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skimmed some and read other parts. Seems really good, but I don't think it will be that helpful to me personally. I'm already doing all the things that he suggests for my post-social events anxiety. I did pick up some references to other books and some good tips for my ATLOSCon 2014 talk on Social Skills. I guess I just expected more surprises, you know?
Rachel
Mar 21, 2010 Rachel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: my psychologist---it's really more homework than a recommendatio
Shelves: nonfiction
Chapter Six, which is about identifying and changing anxious thoughts and behavior, is amazing. I think I will be referring to this periodically for the rest of my life, and that probably every single person on the planet could benefit from reading it.
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Erin Explosion
Erin Explosion rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Jenell
Jenell rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Selah
Selah rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Juliana
Juliana rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Holly Olcott
Holly Olcott rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
26letters
26letters rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Melissa Whitbeck
Melissa Whitbeck rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Shanna
Shanna rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Miss S Hughes
Miss S Hughes rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2008
XX
XX rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Mark Chu-Carroll
Mark Chu-Carroll rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Mara H. Steinhour
Mara H. Steinhour rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Sally Wool
Sally Wool rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Caedmon Michael
Caedmon Michael rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • التغلب على الخجل: قهر الخجل والقلق الاجتماعي
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life
  • The Art of Civilized Conversation: A Guide to Expressing Yourself With Style and Grace
  • Hope and Help for Your Nerves
  • The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook
  • The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses
  • You Are Good at Things: A Checklist
  • Talk Is Not Enough: How Psychotherapy Really Works
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem