Start by marking “Dog, Inc.: The Uncanny Inside Story of Cloning Man's Best Friend” as Want to Read:
Dog, Inc.: The Uncanny Inside Story of Cloning Man's Best Friend

Dog, Inc.: The Uncanny Inside Story of Cloning Man's Best Friend

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  31 reviews
What Stiff did for the dead and Fast Food Nation did for the burger, Dog, Inc. does for the stranger-than-fiction world of commercial dog cloning.

It all began with a pit bull named Booger. Former Miss Wyoming Bernann McKinney was so distraught over the death of her dog, whom she regarded as her guardian and savior, that she paid $50,000 to RNL Bio for the chance to bring

Published December 30th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Dog, Inc., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog, Inc.

Danielle
People are cuckoo-la-roo.
Judy
For the record, my family has a dog, a beautiful, neurotic border collie named Bailey. And we love him dearly. There's never been another dog like him and there never will be. He's sweet and crazy and we can't imagine life without him. Seeing as how he's six years old now, in about eight or nine years, we'll have exactly that--life without Bailey. And we'll deal with it.

Woestendiek's book is about dog owners who love their dogs so much, they refuse to have a life without their one-of-a-kind comp
Kater Cheek
This is the kind of book I usually like very much--topical science written for the layperson. It starts out good; the subject is narrow enough to really delve into it, and Woestendiek knows to use biographical information to create a narrative to draw the reader along. Alas, for various reasons, this book will not make my top ten of 2011.

The main characters Woestendiek chooses to focus on are a millionaire who founded the first American cloning-for-profit organization, the Korean scientists who
Donna
It was a coincidence that, a few weeks after putting this book on hold, it became available while my own dog was sick with out what turned out to be a life-ending bone marrow disease. Reading it as her health declined turned out to be oddly comforting, partially because Woestendiek makes it clear in his introduction that he's a lover of shelter mutts. Unlike the people who have cloned their pets, he also doesn't believe it's possible to replace a dog.

Far from presenting a "yay, progress!" paean
Genevieve
The title of this book intrigued me, as I had never heard of commercial dog cloning, but it does exist. And this is the investigative story of the history (America vs. Korea) of it, and the people who want to clone their dogs (and one super super crazy lady). For the scientist in me, it's pretty nerdy but also interesting. I remember reading that a dog was cloned, but I hadn't heard anything about it since.

The only thing that irked me about his writing style, is that the author repeats himself
Nancy
John Woestendiek has written a real page turner. This book on the history of cloning is a entertaining combination of the Journal Nature and the tabloid National Enquirer. Technical aspects are covered at a level easily understood by an average reader. The legal trials and publicity seeking nature of people involved in cloning provided plenty of verifiable stories for Woestendiek to report. He bring out the ethical dilemmas associated with cloning while giving readers and entertaining story that ...more
Amy
I almost had to abandon the book because of the staccato, clause-heavy writing style. It was like he tried to construct his sentences as clumsily as possible. Once I got over that, I still felt he just didn't give the story enough heart. Fascinating material, but it lacked soul...perhaps, just like clones?
Michelle
Jan 05, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I may or may not have added this book to my to read list because there is a beagle on the cover.
Kari
I never gave much though to what actually happens in order to clone a dog, and to be honest, I was more interested in the emotional ramifications when a dog is cloned. What's it like for the humans? For the clone?

Woestendiek does a fairly good, if repetitive, job explaining the science. First, an egg must be harvested from a dog, and then a surrogate dog must carry the embryo. Probably dozens of times in this book, Woestendiek writes that the DNA of the cloned animal is put into the egg and then
Cayr
It was 1997 when John Sperling, his friend Joan Hawthorne and her son, Lou, were talking about a New York Times article they had all read about cloning. During the natural progression of the conversation, John suggested that maybe Joan’s dog, Missy, could be cloned. It was an offhand remark, but it took hold, and before long, Sperling was financing a full scale scientific operation to make it happen.

In Dog, Inc., author John Woestendiek takes the reader behind the scenes during the advent of the
Tasia Jade
This was an informative and at times laugh aloud hilarious look at the peculiar industry of cloning for profit. I didn't expect so much back story to be involved. If you don't know a lot about science or don't like technical jargon, then fear this book not. Though plenty of useful solid facts are presented, we also are able to dissect what it is in human nature that leads us to such a conflicted and yet enduring endeavor as to clone our furry loved ones. It reads almost like a story, glimpsing i ...more
Barb
Commercial dog cloning. Wrong on so many levels. Regardless, Woestendiek tells the tale of what prompted the research, how the research and ultimately, the “finished products” came about – successes, controversies, scandals, and all – and two dog owners, one of whom won an essay contest to have his dead dog cloned, while the other is a mentally unstable and narcissistic drama queen who wanted her dead dog back. As Mark Westhusin, one of the Texas A&M researchers on the original project says, ...more
Janice
Fascinating read. I had no idea all this research and stuff was going on in the race to establish a stronghold on dog cloning.
Janice Crespo
This book should be on everyone's reading list. John Woestendiek takes you into the various people in the book in depth and lets you get to know each one. While this is a book about science, you will never read another science book like this. The depth, the imagery, the characters are all one of a kind and he brings you right there with him. If all science books were written like this, we would all be science scholars! Thank you John for opening my eyes to quite a bit! You are now on my top auth ...more
Heather Meyer
The book was interesting and upsetting at times. It focused on the competitiveness of animal cloning, especially the cloning of the 1st dog. The part that angered me the most was that many of the people in the book involved in the cloning of animals seemed to only care about making money and not about the welfare of the animals used as donors or surrogates.
Jeanne
We love our dogs, can't bear to lose them. What if we could get them back after death? This book explores the pet cloning industry, it's beginnings and cloning centers in Texas and South Korea. It is very interesting and somewhat spooky. People are paying huge amounts of money to clone beloved pets. But what exactly are they getting for their money?
I thought the book was interesting and informative. I had no idea that so many people were cloning their pets or the history of pet cloning.
Brianne
I considered giving this book 3 stars, and a sciencey person might. What it does well: It explains cloning pets to people who really have no knowledge of and very little interest in cloning. It's easy reading and interesting in parts. I got bored about halfway through and just skimmed the rest of the book. I realize now that I really just checked this book out because of the cute dog on the cover. However, I did read enough to feel like I learned something, so this wasn't a waste.
bookgoddess88
I thought this would focus more on the owners who decided to clone their dogs. If your a science buff or scientist, you will enjoy this. As a dog lover, parts were very hard to get through. A lot of experiments on dogs...especially beagles. :( This book didn't hold back and told you the way it is...complete with every species that's been cloned and/or tried to clone. After reading this book, I don't think you should mess with nature...it wasn't for me.
Jen
This is an amazing book for anyone who has truly loved their dog and has ever considered cloning as a possibility. After reading this book I would not consider having my dog cloned. The book was well researched and given that it is discussing scientific issues and how/when things were happening it was still entertaining and a quick read.
Sharon Eisen
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although I found it a little all over the place from time to time, I thought the author really did his homework and for the most part presented the material in a very enjoyable way. I learned alot and it it all very interesting.
Claire
I learned a lot about cloning and the lengths people will go to in order to bring their pets "back to life". Definitely made me want to enjoy my dog while she is here realizing that no clone could ever take her place.
Tim Helton
dogs inc one of the best book i read this year went into the personel lives of the people that wanted to clone their dogs and the people who done it.and told of the peoples expectation and the reality of cloning
Liz
Much too long, this would have made a great article but should never have been turned into a book. Interesting topic, some good insight etc. but waaaay too much unnecessary detail
Rochelle
This book ruined my life, couldn't put it down. Fascinating and sometimes sad story of how cloning, something our generation has as a household word, came about.
Valarie
I enjoyed this book and read it quickly. In some ways it wasn't what I expected. I'm glad I read it. Maybe a more detailed review later.
Becky
Very cool story of the development of cloning animals. Gives a great background in a readable format. Worth reading!
Pam
FINALLY a book that explores and exposes the dog cloning business. Read my reviews on BellaDog and Amazon!
Katherine
I won't ever try to clone a pet, no matter how much money I have.
Jane
Structure of book was a bit awkward, but it's a fascinating subject.
Claire
This sounds really cool. i want to read it so bad.
  • Forbidden Creatures: Inside the World of Animal Smuggling and Exotic Pets
  • The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us
  • One Nation Under Dog: Adventures in the New World of Prozac-Popping Puppies, Dog-Park Politics, and Organic Pet Food
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • What's a Dog For?: The Surprising History, Science, Philosophy, and Politics of Man's Best Friend
  • Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog Into Your Home
  • The Animal Review: The Genius, Mediocrity, and Breathtaking Stupidity That Is Nature
  • Stolen World: A Tale of Reptiles, Smugglers, and Skulduggery
  • The New Cool: A Visionary Teacher, His FIRST Robotics Team, and the Ultimate Battle of Smarts
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • How to Teach Physics to Your Dog
  • Ever By My Side: A Memoir in Eight [Acts] Pets
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of Working Dogs
  • The Way of the Panda: The Curious History of China's Political Animal
  • Dog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet
Pulitzer prize-winning investigative reporter John Woestendiek writes and produces the popular dog website “ohmidog!” He's a 35-year veteran of newspapers, most recently the Baltimore Sun, which he left in 2008 to research and write “Dog, Inc.”

He has also worked for the Arizona Daily Star, Lexington Herald-Leader, Charlotte Observer, and Philadelphia Inquirer, where he won a Pulitzer in 1987 for a
More about John Woestendiek...
Dog, Inc.: How a Collection of Visionaries, Rebels, Eccentrics, and Their Pets Launched the Commercial Dog Cloning Industry