Start by marking “Third Girl” as Want to Read:
Third Girl

Third Girl (Hercule Poirot #35)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,336 Ratings  ·  437 Reviews
Poirot is approached by a girl who shared a flat with two other girls in London. She is convinced she is a murderer. With rumors of weapons and blood stains and no hard evidence can Poirot determine whether she's guilty, innocent or mad?
Hardcover, Book Club, 224 pages
Published October 7th 2002 by Harper Collins (first published November 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Third Girl, please sign up.

Tina I loved it. Set in the 60's was a change for Christie. Some reviews I read didn't like the angle of writing but I think the disapproval of the younger…moreI loved it. Set in the 60's was a change for Christie. Some reviews I read didn't like the angle of writing but I think the disapproval of the younger style of dress was correct as it was from an older point of view. It left me wanting to pick up more of her books.(less)

mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are an apartment in London. It is the Swingin’ 60s, man, and everything is new and shiny and groovy and covered with flowers. Psychiatry: what a mind trip, it’s crazy! Drugs: they’re everywhere – and sometimes not so groovy! You have room for three girls, you spacious bohemian pad you... but three girls in swingin’ London can sometimes equal trouble: Murder Trouble! Whatever is a hepcat apartment to do? Time to bring in an old-school private detective and his square
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Where there is murder, anything can happen."

Can you believe I have gone my whole life without reading an Agatha Christie novel?!?

I know, right?! Me either! ;)

So I picked this one up, along with a few others, at my local used bookstore on a whim and decided to give her a shot. I am really glad that I did, because this book was very enjoyable!

Hercule Poirot is a Belgium detective who is approached by a young girl who thinks she has committed a murder. Shortly after she disappears and Poirot must
Sam
Aug 22, 2007 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
Shelves: fiction
Well, as my first Agatha Christie book in about 20 years, i'm told this was a bad choice. Christie wrote it later in her life, and in a bid to maintain some relevance with the younger people, wrote in a lot of jargon about drugs and young people and their strange ways. The jargon and stereotypes didn't bother me so much - they were quaint and at times humorous, but forgivable in most circumstances. What was bothersome about the book was that it had some difficulty in getting started, and when it ...more
Ririn
For the first time ever, I got close enough to guess the mystery. Yeay!!

But it was a bit odd to see Poirot lost his confidence. It was his arrogance that was the main attraction for all this time.
Obsidian
Well I admit I like the cover of this book. Some of the Christie covers by HarperCollins have been pretty great. Other than that, this was a pretty average mystery novel.

The character of Poirot has descended into even more pompousness if possible. After a young woman comes to Poirot saying that she has murdered someone, and runs away after realizing that he is old (yeah that happened) Poirot is aggrieved by the encounter. A chance phone call by Mrs. Oliver leads Poirot to figuring out who the my
Menna Mohamed
Jun 12, 2015 Menna Mohamed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لا أدري كيف تستطيع روايات أجاثا كريستي أن تُبهرني بهذا القَدْر ؟
فكما العادة خلال رحلاتي مع رواياتها لا أكُفُ عن الانبهار بشدةِ ذكائها وقدرتها الرائعة على نسج الأحداث ، والتي تجعلك بكل سهولة غير قادرٍ على ترك الرواية إلا بعد إكمالها لمعرفة حقيقة اللغز ، وفي أغلب الأحيان لن تستطيع أن تحل اللغز حتى إذا دارت شكوكك حول جميع أبطال الرواية ،،
لن أُفاجأ فى رواية من الروايات أن تكون أجاثا كريستي نفسها هي القاتلة :D

فأجاثا تستطيع وبكل سهولة خلال حبكةٍ لا يستطيع غيرها تنفيذها أن تُقنعك بمرتكب الجريمة بالأدل
Nancy Oakes
Hercule Poirot is now in his 35th adventure; after this one, he has only three more contemporary appearances -- in Hallow'een Party, Elephants Can Remember, and Curtain.

Third Girl is set smack in the mid-sixties. It's a time when men are wearing such clothes as "elaborate velvet waistcoat[s:], skin-tight pants," and wearing their hair long in "rich curls of chestnut," while women were wearing

"the clothes of their generation: black high leather boots, white open-work stockings of doubtful cleanl
Gabriele
Sep 09, 2015 Gabriele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In "Third Girl" Agatha Christie mette in mostra tutto il suo talento nel creare storie appassionanti e ben calibrate tra mistero e psicologia dei personaggi.
Al contrario di quanto accade normalmente nei gialli, qui non assistiamo subito al ritrovamento di un cadavere. Anzi, per buona parte del libro non sapremo assolutamente nulla di qualsivoglia omicidio se non il solo sospetto che questi deve essere avvenuto grazie alla comparsa in casa di Poirot di una ragazza la quale afferma "forse ho uccis
Brent Soderstrum
I had previously thought that Christie's worst Hercule Poirot novel had to be The Big Four...till I read The Third Girl. I never thought I would give Agatha a two star rating for any of her books...till I read The Third Girl. In trying to obtain the shock value that she became famous for Christie had in her later novels resorted to absurd endings. I thought I had seen her most absurd endings...until I read The Third Girl.

The book does have Poirot in it from the beginning till the merciful ending
Kavita
Feb 18, 2015 Kavita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's not that Agatha Christie has never written a bad book in her career. Though I love most of her books, I do not like some of her more political novels. So while I am not shocked that I disliked this book, never has Christie written something so meandering and pointless.

Till the last chapter, the book seems to have no plot at all. There is no murder committed, there is nothing happening. There are not even any interesting interactions between the various characters like in The Hollow before
Colin Mitchell
Apr 29, 2016 Colin Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Poirot novel. Well constructed plot which finds Poirot at breakfast when Norma Restarick calls to tell him that she thinks she has committed a murder but then rushes out and disappears. Is all that it seems? Poirot appears flummoxed as the evidence he uncovers with visits to her parents in the country and the assistance of Ariadne Oliver, Mr Gobey and Inspector Neele finally leads him to confront the culprit.
Debbie Robson
I generally don't read that many murder mysteries but as my life is chaotic at the moment I thought an Agatha Christie would be fun and it was. I also chose it becase I wanted to see how Christie "managed" the sixties. And not too badly considering her age at the time of writing and I actually thought the "Peacock" worked. Gosh men did have a different aura about them from around the mid sixties till the mid/to late 70s! I caught the tail end of that era and it was interesting to say the least.
I
Clara
Sep 27, 2014 Clara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Me gustó, como la gran mayoría de los libros de Agatha, pero no fue nada sobresaliente como otros de sus libros. Me gustaron los personajes, y me dio mucha pena Norma; la resolución es bastante complicada. Es decir, hay que tener mucha imaginación para resolverlo uno mismo.

Pero hubo un detalle que me gustó mucho, y que pasé muy por encima porque di por sentado que era verdad, como los otros personajes. En casi todos los libros pasa algo como esto, y por eso me gustan tanto.

No se lee tan rápi
Zahra
Nov 12, 2015 Zahra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
نهاية لا بأس بها ولكنها أصابتني بالملل في معظمها
Oscar Despard
Oct 28, 2015 Oscar Despard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Third Girl. The book begins with an enjoyable and humorous passage, involving Poirot's reviews of patisserie from his local bakeries, but his pleasant breakfast is soon interrupted by an anxious young girl who accuses herself of murder. The story then continues an exciting fashion, and ends with the usual surprise.

Third Girl is an enjoyable Christie, and Poirot's skills are exhibited to the full. The prose is relatively fast-paced, with occasional comic interludes and Poirot
Kim Lauwers
I really like the Poirot stories, these stories are timeless and they just keep suprising you. It is also so much fun that you can just read in whatever order you like because there are so many books in this series that it should be quite annoying to always check the internet which book to read next in the correct order, instead o fjust picking a random book in the series and start reading it.

This book was a bit slower than the previous Poirot books I've read. I was actually agreeing with Mrs Ol
Kimberly Ann
Feb 10, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did like it, up until the next to last chapter when M. Poirot was sitting in his chair "thinking"... That was boring as Christie liked to confuse her readers w/ Red Herrings.

A young woman, Norma, is sharing a flat with two others, she is commonly known as "the third girl"... Her father has recently returned from South Africa w/ his new & younger wife, who has had mysterious bouts of gastritis whenever Norma visits.

Norma is suffering from "madness" and delusions and goes to visit M.
Mohamed Alwakeel
would've been good if not for the ton of repeated-over-and-over-details -_-
Laura Verret
She was obviously in great distress, this young lady. She was confused, and desperate, too. But all she said to Poirot when she was ushered into his presence by George was “You’re too old.”

Morbleu! The very suggestion, it is preposterous. As if he, Poirot, could have outgrown his usefulness! But the young lady did confide something to George before she came in. She said that she thought she might have committed a murder.

Not a very definite clue, that. Shouldn’t a girl know if she has murdered so
Jason Alexander
Agatha Christie mystery novel - pretty much says it all. She is the master of the enjoyable, somehow light-hearted, murder mystery.

This particular Poirot tale is a bit muddled with far too much information to allow you to figure out exactly what has happened, who is involved, and how they managed it, but true to her ways she gives you clues all along the way, it just requires exceptional grey cells, as it were. I will go ahead and declare that I had one or two elements of the mystery figured ou
jennifer
It's the mid-sixties and girls have become so independent these days. Young Norma has a flashy boyfriend her father and stepmother don't approve of, but as Norma is rarely under their roof, there isn't a lot they can do about it. Norma has moved into a London flat with two other girls, oh, and she has bouts of forgetfulness where she ends up in possession of a weapon of some kind or other and can't recall what has occurred. Must be all those drugs.

Christie has created a complex mystery here for
katie
Feb 04, 2014 katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I am reading too many books at once. And none of them have taken hold of me, but I'm not ready to give up on any of them. The answer to this conundrum is Agatha Christie. I have a whole shelf of her, and the only problem is that I can never seem to remember which ones I've already read. This one was a lucky guess, a Hercule Poirot (those are my favorites), and it scratched the itch all right.
Thắng
Compare to a few of recently-read Agatha's books, it was ok.
It was long and rambling at first, but then slowly the whole picture appeared and the riddle was solved. Pretty interesting during reading through the book, especially this time I went on the right track of the plot, and how the skim revealed didn't surprise me much. The end, I couldn't really understand about Poirot's intention of setting the two love birds up.
A little bit confusing when I was reading this book, but I blame the transla
Maram
Jan 29, 2016 Maram rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية جميلة ومشوقة كالعادة لاجاثا كريستي ولكنها ليست في نفس مستوى ما قرأت لها من روايات اعتقد ان حبكتها بسيطة وربما يتوقع القارئ النهاية في منتصف الرواية وقد اصابني الملل في اجزاء منها. ولكن ذلك لا يقلل من اهميتها كرواية بوليسية بالطبع ... وستبدو رواية ممتازة لاصحاب القلوب الضعيفة كون الحس الاستنتاجي والتفسيري فيها اكبر من الحس الجرائمي
April Helms
Jan 21, 2010 April Helms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, mystery
"Third Girl" has a different feel from the other Agatha Christie novels I've read. For starters, this is set in the 1960s. This mystery is easily the funniest I've read. Hercule Poirot gets a visit from a young lady who says she think's she's murdered someone, but can't remember who, when or where. She departs abruptly, leaving Poirot to figure out the puzzle. Ariadne Oliver, a mystery novel author, joins him in tracking down the girl and her identity. Those two are a pair and the ending left me ...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
Solid crime story with Hercule Poirot.

It was a well-thought out story, I was just missing some of the humor of some of the other Hercule Poirot books.

It was a quick and entertaining read and I simply enjoy the quality of writing, translation and editing of another era :-)))
Kimberly Karalius
My first Poirot book - and it was wonderful! I've watched the TV series, including Third Girl, and was excited to find the book just as good as the series (I know it's a rather reversed way of looking at it, but I discovered Poirot backwards. Can't be helped!).

Miss Lemon rocks, as usual.
Lorraine
Hercule Poirot is searching for a girl. She had visited his flat, saying that she thought she had murdered someone, but after looking at him declared that he was too old, and left. With the help of his friend, novelist Mrs. Oliver, Poirot learns the girl's name, visits her family home and meets her step-mother and boyfriend. But where is the girl? (She's called a Third Girl, as she's the third tenant in the apartment.)

The book was written in 1966, and Agatha Christie tries to make it relevant wi
Laura Hughes
May 09, 2016 Laura Hughes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm not sure this one fully works. I liked the characters well enough; there is plenty of Poirot and I enjoy his back and forth with Ariadne Oliver, who serves the role of plucky sidekick. And I actually enjoyed the structure which many reviewers seem to have found meandering and slow-paced. It is, but I like the way it overwhelms Poirot with information and tidbits and little things that turn out to be related without actually leading to a crime, so he (and you) get caught up connecting dots, b ...more
Siler Roberts
Apr 18, 2016 Siler Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl comes to Hercule Poirot claiming that she might have murdered someone, but before Poirot can get any more information out of her, she abruptly leaves. Things become even stranger when Poirot finds out that there have been no murders recently and it seems the girl has completely disappeared. With nothing to go on, Poirot begins to investigate into the life of a mysterious girl, and the further he goes, the more the reader will begin to question the sanity of the mysterious "Third Girl".

It
2015 Reading Chal...: Third Girl by Agatha Christie 7 39 Apr 01, 2015 12:23AM
Agatha Christie L...: August 2016 - Third Girl 1 8 Aug 15, 2014 08:43PM
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“Is she a very clever little actress, acting a part? Or is she a genuine semi-moronic suicidal victim?” 4 likes
“Where there is murder, anything can happen.” 1 likes