Start by marking “Dale Carnegie's Lifetime Plan for Success: How to Win Friends and Influence People & How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,145 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
438 pages
Published June 15th 1998 by Galahad

Lowvee Cole
Nov 06, 2013 Lowvee Cole rated it it was amazing
I took a Dale Carnegie course for work, years ago. This was a required read, and I'm glad I read it. It helped me learn the skills to really work WITH people, places, things, and to focus on how to the best way to navigate the road ahead, rather than fret over the end result of my journey.
Red
Feb 11, 2014 Red rated it it was amazing
Of all the leadership books, psychology books, social intelligence books etc, this book synthesizes all of them into a simple execution able process. Love how simple Carnegie makes it, and its all valid and true. Like Seinfeld takes everyday and simply pokes fun at it, Carnegie takes things that impact people and relationships and lays out a path to improve your life. One of my top books ever.
Dimitris Hall
May 31, 2012 Dimitris Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
This book's title is so very easily misunderstandable. It's sort of like all the conspiracy theory videos out there. People will catch a wiff of "global elite", "federal reserve" and will turn their noses straight up in a matter of seconds. Conspiracy "sceptics" have poisoned so many wells, its a miracle that remote villages the world over haven't yet been completely wiped out.

The reason its title is so misunderstandable is because, similarly to the alleged conspiracy theorists, it alludes to te
Eric Glenn
Aug 14, 2010 Eric Glenn rated it really liked it
This is the first book that my Dad had me read "How to win friends and..."the only one actually. I read it when I was 8 or 9 years old. It is another of the required reading books in our home. I recommend it to all who are just beginning their quest on self improvement and creating better relationships. It is a book that focuses on the mechanics of working with people. Simple ideas that even a nine year old can figure out...

The second book, "How to Stop Worrying..." I bought when i was an LDS mi
Dan
Apr 24, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Lifetime Plan for Success is a powerful, eminently readable book. There are no 'great secrets' revealed or psychobabble nonsense, just tried-and-true principles backed up by historical and personal anecdotes. This is the kind of book that everyone should own, and revisit regularly.

Two notes:

Surprisingly, I found the overarching lesson of How to Win Friends and Influence People to be quite cynical: people are self-centered, insecure, and emotional. If you overcome your own ego and (sincerely!) fe
Duane W. Stockton
Jul 22, 2014 Duane W. Stockton rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, philosophy
My brother introduced me to this book and I'm glad he did. There is so much useful information in this book on how deal with people, from those you do get along with to those who are your complete opposite. These tips and strategies on how to overcome conflict and do so peacefully should be a must read for anyone.
Ruby (Maria)
Apr 27, 2014 Ruby (Maria) rated it really liked it
I read this book because of someone personality inspired me at the time.She praised it as her second bible! A must read for anyone! I will read it for the second time soon! Is the type of book you want to have as a personal influence and pass it on.t
Rick
May 29, 2015 Rick rated it it was amazing
This is a timeless book on relaxing and enjoying life. There are many suggestions of things to do that will help you break the worry habit. As noted in the book, this is one you will want to keep and refer to if worry gets you down.
Goodreads User
Jul 29, 2012 Goodreads User rated it really liked it
What I found interesting about the book was its use of examples. I felt not only was I reading a book about self-improvement for myself, I was reading it in action and how it affected other people's lives directly as well. Some of the history behind the stories were quite inspirational, and as you read on, you could see that more than one tip being discussed was being used in some of the stories. Be that as it may, I found some sections not pertinent to what I was looking for, particularly the l ...more
Aimee Kinning
Apr 24, 2014 Aimee Kinning rated it it was amazing
Gave it five stars because it's a classic but truly, if any of the suggested principles are new to you, our educational system and your family of origin have done a grave misjustice.
Tracy
Nov 16, 2009 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A good reminder about how to interact with people for the most positive outcomes. As it stresses throughout the book, you should use it frequently as a reference book to keep the material fresh in your mind. I've already forgotten some of the points, but there are bullet point summary pages that can get you right to the information that you need.

The section about worrying is especially applicable in today's world. Many of the stories are based in the past, but it shows how common human elements
Jane Johnson
Enjoyed it
Catherine
Nov 19, 2008 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I listen to this on audio. I have no idea what page I'm on. However, when I get to the end of these books, I'm surprised and disappointed that it's over. Anything from Dale Carnegie is inspirational and helps immensely. This one made me realize how much I worry on things that don't matter. While I'm still worrying, the problem is actually gone. Dale Carnegie is one of the founding fathers of motivational and self help books and speaking. This is the only way to spend time with him, so I read oft ...more
Robert Bor
Mar 05, 2011 Robert Bor rated it it was amazing
Valuable book with a -- contrary to what its title implies -- good-natured intention. The piece "Father Forgets" early in the book touched me deeply. The advise of the book is from another day and age, well before the invent of the internet. Some chapters are no longer applicable, but the human heart-to-hearts still apply. Has a prominent place in my bookshelf in my endeavor to be a better man and I welcome personal feedback of how I act as a person with regards to what is written in this book.
Lindsay
Jan 24, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read this book...read it! If you have read this book...read it again!

This book really was incredible. I finished it and I now feel like I have a tool-kit for successful relationships. Most of the principles established in this book I have heard before, but this book explains each principle like it will change your life...I officially agree with every argument Dale Carnegie makes!

I've made the goal to read this book, or review this book, at least once a year. ...Read it.
Tatiana
Jan 15, 2014 Tatiana rated it it was amazing
This book (my Bible) served as a foundation to a Lifetime Plan of Success with people in my early teens and I would recommend it to anyone as early as possible and in fact, never too late either.
Meredith
May 28, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it
The central message of this books is that if you want people to like you, be nice to them.

This may sound too banal to be worth reading, but it really is quite countercultural. Two of the more notable relational books of the past few decades have said exactly the opposite:

The Rules: If you want people to like you, ignore them
The Game: If you want people to like you, insult them.

Frankly, at this point, Carnegie's "be nice to people" message is a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed it.
Robert Henry
Nov 18, 2015 Robert Henry rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Should be recommended reading for everyone. Highly Recommend!
Julia
Nov 14, 2011 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011

What I like most about How to Win Friends... in hindsight is that I can now pretty much tell within 15 minutes of talking to a person whether or not they have read this book. Here's my secret: Once you've decided that you don't actually enjoy talking to a person, but continue to do it anyway for reasons you can't explain, you'll know that Dale Carnegie has infiltrated your system and is slowly taking over.
Jessica Bates
Jul 26, 2011 Jessica Bates rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My boyfriend's brother sent us this book for Christmas. We laughed, but once we started reading it, we realized there's tons of great information on dealing with people. We've used tips from the book to deal with difficult situations. I have to say, although the book drags in places, it's still quite relevant despite it's age. :) A nice gift, and a nice read for your business/personal life.
Vicki
Jul 12, 2013 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I took a Dale Carnegie course at the Fort Smith Chamber of Commerce years ago and finally got around to reading one of the books we got with the course. We were given homework in the class but we didn't read the whole book. The stories of the business people that are told were of much more interest to me than Carnegie's penchant for quoting Fabian Socialist, George Bernard Shaw.
Alison
Jul 16, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
I listened to this one on audio book during a few of my commutes to work in May or June. It was interesting listening, especially as it applies to work and families. I often think, boyfriends and friends I can choose, but the rest you just sort of have to deal with and make the best of. Dale's strategies really do work-- probably the reason why this book has been in print so damn long!
Cari
Aug 21, 2011 Cari rated it it was amazing
i need to buy a copy of this book so i can read it again and again...need to mark it up with notes and revisit it throughout my career. it is a must read for anyone and everyone that manages, is managed, or works with people, in general. engineers definitely need to read this...we spend too much time crunching numbers, and not enough time thinking about these types of topics.
Malak Alrashed
Apr 09, 2014 Malak Alrashed rated it it was ok
(Found in my father's bookshelf).

The good thing about the book is that Carnegie always uses his own experiences to explain his points. There were certainly some helpful advices and important things to think about, and on the other hand, there were lots of sympathize.with.everyone.even.those.who.treat.you.badly.bullshit that you can find at almost every self-help book.
Colleen
Sep 20, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
My younger brother insisted (practically on pain of death) that I read this book. It definitely has great advice as to how to deal with people, particularly from a leadership standpoint. It mentioned quite a few of my own character flaws as things to work on, so I guess I have some homework. :)

I started "How to Stop Worrying..." but I'm not really a worrier, so I quit.
Marwa
May 21, 2011 Marwa rated it it was amazing
الكاتب ديل كارنيجي كاتب رائع كما قلت والكتاب يستحق القراءة لانك ان كنت قرأت للكاتب فهو بنفس اسلوبه وذلك عن طريق سرد قصص وخبرات اشخاص في الحياة ونتائج خبراتهم وكذلك طرح وصفات على شكل قواعد تؤثر في حياتك اليوميه زيادة على ذلك الحكم الكثيره المفيده في الحياة

كتاب انصح الجميع بقراءته لما فيه من فوائد وبامكان الشخص تغيير نفسه بمجرد قراءة الكتاب
SJ Loria
Jul 26, 2011 SJ Loria rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time, I was a teenager and certified asshole. My dad made me read this book. Since he made me read it, I've chosen to read it many a time. It's just good advice on how to be civil, courteous, and fair with others. Especially good if you have a hot head and need to learn the importance of staying cool in a disagreement.
Caitlin
Jan 12, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
So wonderful and so applicable. Everyone should read this one.
  • The Amazing Results of Positive Thinking
  • 212 the Extra Degree
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-compulsive Disorder
  • Stop Obsessing!: How to Overcome Your Obsessions and Compulsions
  • Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future
  • 1001 Ways to Energize Employees
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You
  • Lifescripts
  • LOA for the Real World: 7 Big Fat Clues to Getting What You Want
  • 1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers
  • Maxwell 3-in1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude,Developing the Leaders Around You,Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Optimal Thinking: How to Be Your Best Self
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton Volume 01: Heretics, Orthodoxy, the Blatchford Controversies (Collected Works of G. K. Chesterton)
  • Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, fir ...more
More about Dale Carnegie...