A Crazy Day With Cobras (Magic Tree House, #45)

A Crazy Day With Cobras (Magic Tree House #45)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  898 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The New York Times bestselling Magic Tree House series is back!

But with the magic tree house comes terrible news: Merlin’s beloved penguin, Penny, has been put under a spell! Jack and Annie must find four things to break the spell. The first is a rare and precious emerald. When the magic tree house whisks them back to India over four hundred years ago to search for the jew...more
Published January 11th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published December 16th 2010)

Lisa
Another one we read while snowed in :) We LOVED this one! This is one of my personal favorites. It was soooooo exciting. Jack and Annie are on a mission to Mogul India to face the Great Mogul who built the Taj Mahal. Jack and Annie race through the street of India on an escaped elephant's back and manage to save the elephant and themselves from death at the hands of the Mogul and his guards. They find a way to appeal to the Mogul, and learn all about why he had the Taj Mahal constructed in the f...more
midnightfaerie
My 6 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. Many of these are educational as well, focusing on a particular point in history such as a president's reign, or a location, like Ireland in this one, which goes really well with his geography and history lessons. He's loving it, and already...more
Shelli
It's hard to believe that I have already been along on 45 adventures with Jack and Annie. If you ever hear anyone say that you can't learn something from children's books then please show them this series. As with all of Jack and Annie's missions, they come in a cluster of 4. A Crazy Day with Cobras is the first in this four part series.
While walking home from school Jack and Annie run into a very distraught Teddy and Kathleen, who have been on many past missions with them. Teddy had gotten a l...more
Isabel Orama
The story I read was #45 of magic tree house. It was about Annie and Jack. They both are brother and sister. Merlin,or Morgan Le Fay gives them missions to find objects. This story is about a brother and sister and they need to find a emerald rose to release their friend Penny the penguin. Freddy,by accident was looking in a spell book,and when Penny was walking in he accidently turned her into stone.

When they made a wish to go to their location the tree house spinned then stopped. They found a...more
Adam J.
I recently finished A Crazy day with Cobras by Mary Pope Osborne. in this book they travel to ancient India. I loved this book just like the others in the series. My favorite part was when they shrunk to get the emerald. Mary Pope Osborne does a great job with the plot of her books. From beginning to end I understood every single detail. Jack and Annie are such great characters and there actions related to the events in the book so well. Overall, I give this book four stars.
Wayne S.
What would you do if you came face to face with a live cobra? Jack and Annie are off on another Merlin Mission. Penny, the abandoned penguin which they rescued on a previous mission and gave to Merlin, has been accidentally turned into a stone statue. In order to help bring her back to life, Jack and Annie must go four-hundred years back in time to visit one of the Great Moguls of India and obtain an emerald stone shaped like a rose.
While posing as ambassadors from Frog Creek to Shah Jahan, t...more
Wayne Chan
This is one of the hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest hardest h...more
Eva Yamashita
Nov 27, 2013 Eva Yamashita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages range from eight to eleven
A Crazy Day with Cobras is the 45th book in the Magic Tree House series. This book is an adventure story of siblings Jack and Annie and is mostly fiction with small passages filled with facts. One day, an incident occurs in a magical realm. A little orphan penguin has been turned into stone accidentally by a spell, so Jack and Annie have to travel to 17th century India in search of a rose-shaped emerald to break the spell and save the penguin friend. During the time travel to ancient India, Jack...more
Dolly
Jul 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have loved the Merlin Missions stories as well as the original Magic Tree House books. We have read them all and are also reading the Research Guides as well.

We eagerly awaited the publication of this book, but for some reason we just didn't read it as fast as I thought we would. Part of the reason behind it is that we owned the book while we always have a bunch of library books that we need to read and return. And I started this book with our girls, but they finished reading it with their G...more
Tiffany Askins
Jack and Annie must travel back in time to India to retrieve various objects that will break a spell casted on their friend Penny. As they travel back in time, they realize it won't be as easy getting the objects they need because there is a Great Mogul that is not so nice to people who fail to do exactly as instructed. I used this book in a book club with some of the low readers in my classroom when we were studying sci-fi/fantasy.
Patti Korbet
3.5 stars. Not one of my favorites and probably a big letdown when I liked book #44 so much. But we got to hear about the man who had the Taj Mahal built and see a little bit of India. Jack and Annie were, as always, fun. Annie's brash, straightforward manner, her willingness to do what's right in her mind, even if it's not the smartest move, is one of my favorites aspects of these stories. And Jack's cautiousness and hesitant steps outside the box offer a good contrast. It was lovely (and tear-...more
Sue Poduska
Book number forty-five of the “Magic Tree House” series will not disappoint fans. The lively story, blended with history, nature, and art, makes this an engaging work. Siblings Jack and Annie are sent on a mission to seventeenth century India to retrieve a rose-shaped emerald, needed to reverse a spell accidentally placed on a friend from Camelot. Along the way, they meet the Great Mogul, Shah Jahãn, builder of the Taj Mahal. The reader gets a glimpse of the Taj Mahal through the author’s eyes....more
Brittany
Jack and his little sister Annie are two regular kids from Frog Creek, Pennsylvania... until they discover a mysterious tree house full of all sorts of books. From that point on their lives will never be the same again! They soon go on amazing adventures (plus children are learning bits of history and most don't realize it) as they travel through time with the help of the magic tree house. The chapters are short with pictures every few pages, making these books perfect for the beginning reader....more
Lynne White
Very good, but I think there could have been a better title for the book since the cobras don't make an appearance until chapter seven.
Mindy
My children and I enjoyed another fun adventure with Jack and Annie in the magic tree house! In this book it is fun to learn about India and some of the animals there like the cobra and elephant. Plus it was really neat to learn more about the Taj Mahal, which took 20 years to build and has precious gems set into the marble to make it sparkle. Always an incredible adventure with the magic tree house series!
Mary
Penny the Penquin was turned to stone and to keep Teddy from being banished and to save Penny, Jack and Annie are sent to India to the time the Taj Mahal was built to retrieve an emerald rose. They do and they find the emperor who is lonely after losing his wife. They have many adventures in saving the emerald from cobras and an elephant who was trying to get back to her baby. They discover love.
Cathy
This one has everything I like about this series, a lot of heart, a good adventure, and some great knowledge all packed into a little book. I'm so sad that my little buddy has finally outgrown the series so that this is probably one of the last few books I'll remember to check out. I've learned a lot reading these books along with him over the last few years, and had fun doing it.
Wendy
I've read many of these books to my 7-year-old daughter. While I personally find them monotonous after 10 or so in a row, she can't get enough! The tid bits of facts that get added to each book (just thid one includes facts about the Taj Mahal and cobras and elephants....) go in my "plus" column. Hey, if you can sneak in learning, I'm for it!
Jodi
#45 in the Magic Tree House series with this one being set in India. I learned that the Taj Mahal was a mausoleum the Great Mogul built for his wife after she died! I also learned that some cobras can rise about 6 feet off the ground. Eek! We'll be moving onto the next one for my son!! He cannot get enough of Jack and Annie!
Malcolm says, "I liked the Great Mogul, I liked the elephant, I liked the King Cobras. I liked that the treehouse had books and every time Jack and Annie read them they could go somewhere else than Frog Creek. I liked that there was guards and a Red Fort because I like forts and guards. I would like guards for my room."
Molly
I picked this book up expecting to feel brain cells dying as I read it. I was very wrong; I can see why my students enjoy this series so much. It's very well written (albeit extremely simplistic) and interesting. It was an extremely quick read and is educational, to boot!
BigBrother
A Crazy Day With Cobras was good. The problem is Penny was turned into a statue. They fix it by going on missions. The main characters were Jack and Annie. I learned that India is half land half wild.
Payton
Jack and Anne turn small and run into cobras.
Tristan
Finishing up fourth grade and still liking this series four years into it. Can't wait for the next book in August eventhough my reading level is getting higher. It's nice to have some easy reads.
Karen Arendt
Tie in with Asian elephants, cobras, and the Taj Mahal. The theme is uncovering love which is nicely laid out at the end by Annie, who points out all the connections to love in the story.
Mellodi Parks
Another book down! 45 already? Wow, this is going fast. I love each and every adventure.If you're up for something a little different and yet still fun, give this series a read!
  • Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • Run for the Hills, Geronimo!
  • Maximum Ride Boxed Set #1
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)