Start by marking “The Weird Shadow Over Innsmouth & Other Stories of the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
The Weird Shadow Over Innsmouth & Other Stories of the Supernatural

• He
• The Outsider
• The Whisperer in Darkness
Published 1944 by Bartholomew House, Inc

Be the first to ask a question about The Weird Shadow Over Innsmouth & Other Stories of the Supernatural

Joseph
This collection has three particularly fine H. P. Lovecraft tales - The Colour Out of Space, The Festival, and The Shadow over Innsmouth. These three stories alone are worth the price of admission, and I believe showcase Lovecraft at his finest, and are also good examples of why no one can utilize the Mythos like its creator. The other stories are much weaker, with the science fiction collaboration with fan Kenneth Sterling, is particularly weak, and overlong. The three best stories, are however ...more
Joe Sander
*The edition I read contained more stories than the ones listed here*

Lovecraft is hard to rate for me. Even today he remains ridiculously influential, but so much of his work is formulaic and cliché (not to mention racist/classist). He had fantastic ideas but really wasn't a technically solid writer so his stories can be difficult for modern readers. His best work (things like The Color Out of Space, The Dreams in the Witch House, The Outsider) is practically required reading for horror fans whi
David Stoneking
I didn't have the whole book. Just the Shadow Over Innsmouth public domain story. This book is classic, highly recommended reading.

It's the story of a traveler heading to the fictional New England town of Arkham to do some genealogical research. On his way, he finds a detour heading through Innsmouth that should speed up the trip. But the townspeople don't seem to care much for Innsmouth.

It becomes a topic of morbid curiosity for the traveler, as he slowly finds more information, and decides to
Juan Mayor
Escalofriante, por no decir más, es esta propuesta de recopilación de las novelas escritas por un grande de la literatura del terror. H.P. Lovecraft sabe muy bien como ambientarte en paisajes desoladores, en donde tus miedos más innombrables aparecen y toman forma de deidades nunca antes imaginadas, ni descritas por algún ser humano.

Debido a lo mismo, estas historias se desarrollan a partir de los miedos del ser humano: la soledad, el mar, lo desconocido, la locura. Todo envuelto y materializado
Dave Holcomb
A decent selection of standard Lovecraft, including two classics, "The Shadow of Innsmouth" and "The Lurking Fear". It has become popular to criticize "pulp" authors like Lovecraft for the way in which their work often reflects the racist and xenophobic attitudes that prevailed during their lifetimes, but as long as the reader is willing to allow the writer to be a child of his times without imputing more overtly aggressive motives to his failings, the stories still hold up well, much the way Po ...more
Jesse Hebert
For all the psychological unraveling going on, this is physical horror of a very viscous texture :D Things get sticky in the worlds of Lovecraft, and the reader feels the unsightly cling when they try to peel their hand away from it. It's true these tales tend to follow a kind of recipe in their telling, but I don't mind it. The man loves his language and relishes in harrowing description, to the point of it being almost humorous as ever new adjectives flood the page! And even if all the stories ...more
Bogdan Gavriliuc
I was debating between 3 stars and 2,
I decided on 3 because it did keep me interested and reading in order to find out what the end of each story was.

the reason I was going to go with 2 is the following.
I wasn't left scared, rather more curious.
Also his story telling, especially in 7 in a row, demonstrates a formulaic approach (with slight exceptions).

Main character narrates his experience.
Introduction into unfamiliar fictional setting.
Old tale given from either folklore or an old insane f
Juan Bosco
Este es un buen exponente de que la imaginación de Lovecraft no solía ir de la mano con la habilidad para escribir una historia cautivadora. La premisa es atrayente y se presta a imaginar todo el entorno en que se desarrolla la historia, si bien es fácil adivinar en qué consiste esa sobre sobre Innsmouth, en especial si el lector tiene un poco de conocimiento sobre la obra de Lovecraft.

El principal problema de esta historia es que se prolonga más de lo necesario y se detiene constantemente en de
Mikey
Mar 12, 2007 Mikey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror enthusiasts
Shelves: fiction
If you've read Lovecraft's best short stories ("The Call of Cthulhu," "The Thing on the Doorstep," "Pickman's Model," etc.) and you still aren't convinced that he was the best post-Poe American horror writer, then read this, his best novella. As always with Lovecraft, the book's horrifying impact doesn't come from the depiction of bizarre and unsettling things in the main action of the story (though that's there), but from the psychological implications of forbidden knowledge and the sense that ...more
Kristopher
The older I get, the more chaff I see in Lovecraft's writing. The man never met an adjective he didn't like. And story elements that should be exciting--the chase scene in Shadow over Innsmouth, for instance--get bogged down by minor details. Lovecraft loved minor details, possibly more than adjectives.

I think he really wanted to be a historian and mythologist much more than a pulp fiction writer. It's spinning his made up histories and mythologies--secondary concerns in most fiction--that Love
Brent
This is the second short story I've read by HP Lovecraft. I enjoyed this title more than "The Call of Cthulu" and found the twist to be intriguing although poorly foreshadowed. This seemed less disjointed than some of his other works but I still find the intrigue and suspense to be poorly lacking. Lovecraft excels, it seems, in being overly descriptive and boring at times. I'm giving his entire collection a chance and hope to find that my opinion will begin to change as I come to terms with his ...more
Bayard
Lovecraft may not have possessed the literary genius of American weird fiction writer A.E. Poe, but his work has been hugely influential in modern culture. In just about every form of media from film to video games we find echoes of Lovecraft's Old Ones and weird cosmology. His later tales, particularly The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Call of Cthulu, The Shadow Over Innsmouth and At the Mountains of Madness are his finest and should satisfy just about anyone's imp of the perverse.
Marianne
This particular edition of stories by H.P. Lovecraft was my first exposure to this master of horror. Most of his stories are what I'd call psychological horror stories, taking human being's worst fears and telling tales of how we face them. Another theme of his writing are those stories revolving around The Necronomicon and the ancient evils that accompany it. These are straight up horror stories and very satisfying if you like creepy stories rather than gory stories.
Charlotte
I bought a book from Mestas Editions that included this story as well as Dagon and The Colour Out of Space, and I liked this one better than the others. Despite the reading is a bit longer I felt the narration flowing and vibrating on every page.

One curious thing I have to point out is, as well as the narrator on this tale, I was also on a trip to a small town myself during this reading. And I finished it almosta at the very last minute before taking the bus back home.
Maeve
I read this at about age 10 or 11; it's a very old book and was old when I read the torn covered copy my parents had. I loved it! Still like the writing, which was creepy and archaic without being graphic or gory. Lovecraft's ability to evoke a scene and a character was truly breathtaking. What a good writer he was. Don't care if it was "light" fiction, it was a great read. Try it out.
Borax
This is absolutely the best of Lovecraft's stories! It is very much in keeping with his style, though I understand he actually drafted 6 versions of this in an attempt to change his style....this is because Mountains of Madness was a failure in publishing...Lovecraft was stung by that....though the story we read today is classic Lovecraft, he actually hated it.
Raj
This is a collection of short stories by Lovecraft ending with the titular novella. The stories are interesting but they have, however, lost their terror over the years as they have been copied and parodied. I very much enjoyed the collection though, especially The Colour out of Space and the titular The Shadow over Innsmouth.
Deborah Nunez
I listend to this on audio. First getting past the accent (British), was amazed at the author's discrpitive manner in writing. I can't figure out if I loved it or liked it. The discription of the creatures, left me wanting to hear more. My vision actually somewhat matched the short video of the book from You Tube. Loved the twist at the end.
Jesse
This is one of my all time favorites by Lovecraft. This was the first story that led me to his Dagon mythology and I think it is one of his most creepy and well done. Lovecraft has a great way of sucking his reader in with his incredibly involved backstories and he just builds and builds on the mythos he crafted with a god-like detail.
Rachael
Jun 24, 2007 Rachael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense/horror
I have only just begin to read HP Lovecraft, but Shadow Over Innsmouth has to be my favorite short story so far. Lovecraft can be a little dry and wordy for people at times, and much like Anne Rice, it can take several pages to describe a doorknob, but the suspenseful feeling and the images he creates in this story are amazing.
Jack
I started reading Rick Dakan's Cthulhu Cult - a novel of Lovecraftian obsession. Since I'd not read any Lovecraft since the 1970s, and I had this story on my Kindle, I decided to read it alongside the Dakan book. Glad I did. HPL really conjures up the atmosphere.
Jonatron
Actually, what I have is called "The Weird Shadow Over Innsmouth", and is just an e-book on my phone, which I read while at the laundromat.

While entertaining, I don't actually feel very terrified while reading these stories. Sorry, dude.
James Hardison
I got this book from the Scholastic Book Club in 1971. It was my introduction to Lovecraft and I've been a devoted fan ever since. This book opened the door to a whole world of weird fiction that has kept me entertained for decades.
Grey
The gibbous moon. The eldritch night. The unnameable, crawling, writhing, bulbous horrors that crawl in the lurking, blasphemous and oozing darkness.
The adjectives! Who am I to not like them!!
Roberto
I really enjoyed this HP Lovecraft story and found it and the ending to be very disturbing.
The narration was good in my opinion and I loved how Lovecraft described the setting. Very good story.
Patrick
I really like Lovecraft's style of writing for me it really made the story come to life - like Hammer's Technicolour! I've read and reread this story and will do so again.
Jamie
I cannot read these stories after dark. After all these years, Lovecraft still freaks me out! The outsider is still my favorite story.
Scott871
Great story. Read it twice. Has a really good twist at the end. I have read several of Lovecraft's stories and this is one of the best.
Mike
Shadow over Innsmouth is the second best Lovecraft story ever. It's been copied and emulated innumerable times for good reason.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
good horror novel.I have finished The shadow over innsmouth,and will read the other stories when i come to feel like.
  • Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror
  • Grimscribe: His Lives and Works
  • The Mask of Cthulhu
  • The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • In a Lonely Place
  • The Wendigo
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • Dark Gods
  • Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria (Thongor, #1)
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • The Cutting Room: Dark Reflections of the Silver Screen
  • Cthulhu's Reign
  • The House on the Borderland
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu