Start by marking “Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy” as Want to Read:
Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy

Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy

An important and powerful book about electroconvulsive therapy and its comeback.

For more than twenty years, Kitty Dukakis battled severe depression with every medication and treatment available. But it wasn't until she tried electroconvulsive therapy- ECT-that she began getting her life back for good. Written with award-winning medical reporter Larry Tye, Shock is both t
Published September 14th 2006 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Shock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shock

11811 (Eleven)
Apr 18, 2015 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it
A number of people who give testimony about ECT in this book refuse to use their last name because there is still such a stigma attached to the procedure and that is a shame because this shit works. More people should talk about it. I'll start.

I've had four treatments so far and I feel better than I have in the last ten years. I still have about four more to go before I'm done and it is likely that I will have to go for maintenance treatments for the rest of my life but I don't care because it w
Brad
Barb
Nov 09, 2010 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Unless you or someone you know is going to have or has had ECT, then this book probably wouldn't interest you. It is, however, very informative with regards to the pros and cons of ECT and I wish I had read this before I underwent the procedure; but it hadn't been published yet.

Shock is actually two books in one: it consists of Kitty Dukakis's experience with having ECT for her depression, and the other part, written by Larry Tye, is a history of ECT. Tye also presents various theories as to how
Rena Sherwood
Dec 26, 2014 Rena Sherwood rated it really liked it
"Shock therapy? They still DO that?"

That's the usual reaction anyone gets if they let slip that they are being treated with ECT or electroconvulsive therapy. But most likely a person receiving shock therapy never tells anyone because of the stigma involved. Kitty Dukakis, wife of the three-term governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis, decided that enough was enough. She teamed up with award-winning medical journalist Larry Tye to write a book looking at all aspects of shock therapy. The result
Sue T
Jul 26, 2010 Sue T rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You would have to be pretty darned interested in learning about Electro-Convulsive Therapy to really enjoy this book. Alternating chapters are written by Kitty Dukakis about her own experience while the other chapters are written by a medical journalist about the history, facts, and figures about ECT (aka "shock therapy"). I wouldn't have bothered even posting this book here, since I am probably the only one remotely interested in mental health treatments like this, BUT I wanted to report that I ...more
Francisco Magaña
A brief history intertwined with a personal battle

A brief history intertwined with a personal battle. Overall, a decent read that gave a positive view on a controversial subject, while not shying away from the contradictory points of view. As far as readability - it could have been trimmed with less repetition.
Stacey
Mar 31, 2014 Stacey rated it liked it
Kitty was supposed to be a keynote speaker at a conference but she had to miss it because she was getting ECT. Mike Dukakis spoke instead and handed out copies of her book. It was interesting to read a modern account of ECT, which has always been looked upon with fear. I have less of a bias towards the practice of ECT after reading this account.
Colleen
Aug 17, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it
Dukakis' description of being in the throes of depression will ring true with anyone who has suffered from the disease. She sheds new light on the old therapy of electroshock, something that many of us hold outdated and incorrect ideas about.
Lara
Dec 20, 2009 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good look at the controversy of shock treatment, although I ended up finding Kitty's chapters more enthralling than the chapters written by Globe reporter about the history/controversy of the therapy.
Andy
Oct 14, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
this book is a bit sterile, probably not actually written by ms dukakis..though its crammed with plenty of information, differing viewpoints, all together, quite a acomprehensive read (though I'm still not convinced that ECT is for me)....
Ellen
Dec 06, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
Her description of coping with depression / bipolar disorder over a lifetime is pretty powerful, and she's very candid about her experience with ECT pro and con, but the chapters by her co-author get a little long.
Beth
Nov 26, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-school
Highly readable introduction to shock therapy and the controversies surrounding it.
Julia Wood
Sep 18, 2013 Julia Wood rated it it was amazing
I often recommend this to patients and families considering ECT. Informative, readable and one of the most accessible texts out there introducing the lay person to a potentially life saving therapy.
Karen Mayes
Jan 30, 2013 Karen Mayes rated it liked it
Not bad.... explaining the ECT (electroconvulsvie therapy) and it explains the history of it, the cons and pros of it... it's something that should be offered more often.
Marni
May 18, 2012 Marni rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Interesting, and an easy read.
Gonzalo Valdez
Aug 18, 2011 Gonzalo Valdez rated it really liked it
Very informative. Gave me a new prespective on depression on another cure that should be explored more often.
Leisl
Didn't finish it, but learned a lot from the 2/3 that I did read. Would recommend to someone looking to learn more about ECT.
Wendy
Nov 15, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fascinating.
Natalie Blair
Natalie Blair rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
K
K rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Virginia Klinkman
Virginia Klinkman rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Hilda Cooper
Hilda Cooper rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2010
Donn Saylor
Donn Saylor rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2007
Shana
Shana rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2009
Sarah rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »

It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life. I have memory problems as a residual of it; however, I'm alive. That was the main point.”
1 likes
“There is an element of selfishness to this, I suppose. It feels pretty good to be able to so quickly help someone. That is, after all, one of the great emotional payoffs of medicine. That isn't to say that ECT is either a panacea or without flaws - but when used in the right way for the right purposes it's of great benefit, and condemning it because it isn't perfect would lead to more suffering and harm, no less.” 0 likes