Start by marking “Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable” as Want to Read:
Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable

Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,766 ratings  ·  291 reviews
Bestselling author Patrick Lencioni's three previous business fables have sold nearly 350,000 copies. His latest takes on the most dreaded company activity...meetings—why we hate them, why we shouldn't, and how to make them great

The thought of meetings makes most business people miserable, but they're a critical and unavoidable part of what we do. Through fictional narrati
Audio CD, 25 pages
Published March 12th 2004 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Meeting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Meeting

Pros for this title are easy to come up with: It was a quick read. The information is easily consumable. The resulting recommendation is fairly specific and easy to implement. The concept behind this strategy for your meetings seems solid.

Cons are that the information, while easy to test, does not seem to come from any sort of empirical source. Most of it sounds like Lencioni conjured it up from nothing. I'm OK with that, since that is how I have come up with some of my best work, but it is an e
"Death by Meeting" was my first Lencioni book and I am definitely a fan. Having seen him first at the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit when he was a last-minute fill-in for Howard Schultz of Starbucks, I was immediately impressed by his humor and insights. I wasn't surprised that he was invited back the following year and again this year for the 2013 lineup.

The book is an engaging tale on what spells the difference between meetings that are alive and dead. Do not expect a linear narrative;
Marjorie Elwood
I'm not sure why business authors feel compelled to write book-long fables instead of concise articles about their ideas, but at least this one has some compelling thoughts about how to make meetings more useful, interesting, and profitable to the organization. You can skip to the end of the book, where Lencioni delineates his suggestions.
Brian Cassada
It was a good book with great intentions. I think the allegory that the information was set upon was good and applicable. However, I found that it got in the way for me. I read for growth and information. I was looking for the information to come to light and had to wait until the end. Everything the book was about could have been summed up in 5 or 6 pages.
At first, I was not into the fact that this was a fable.... However, as the story progressed, I found myself interested. It was a quick read with some good takeaways on different types of meetings, the goals of each, and the role that leaders should play in making the meetings worthwhile.
Michael Caldwell
The title 'Death By Meeting' definitely caught my eye as I've been wrestling with the quantity of meetings we have at our company. What I realized after reading the book was that it's not the quantity of meetings that was the problem - it's the quality of meetings.

I was a little skeptical of the concept of business fiction as a vehicle to delivery this information, but I feel the author did an effective job. Was the fictional story a literary masterpiece? No, but it got the concepts across in a
First Lesson: Always look beyond the title in Bold print, you might find more information about the book in your hands if you venture further and read the small print.

Case in point. This book.
I saw the title (Death by Meeting) and immediately thought, 'a mystery! Haven't read one of those in a while!' Had I ventured to look further I would have seen in smaller print 'A Leadership Fable.' And in yet smaller print,'...about solving the most painful problem in business.'

Needless to say, I have lea
Excellent book. Should be required for everyone at the management level.
I really liked this modern-day fable. It's not every day that a book about meetings is such a page turner. I read it in under 48 hours, and I liked the concepts described. A couple of thoughts:

One, he writes about conflict, but he doesn't give enough concrete examples to let me fully understand what true, productive conflict could look like in a real-world meeting.

Two, before reading this I already had a lot of the same ideas, but I've never seen them put into practice. I'd love to hear from any
Tigran Mamikonian
Quite interesting and relevant book for all managers who want to improve effectiveness of teamwork. If you were ever stressed by multy-party or face-to-face meeting and ever wondered if there are ways to make meetings more pleasant and productive, you should definitely look into this book.

Patrick Lencioni has presented this book in his classic style - first the model is illustrated in the form of fable and then the model described itself.

So the Model described in the book addresses both - compos
Shom Biswas
Good. Not as good as the previous 'Five Dysfunctions...', and a little tedious at times - but the lessons are accurate and helpful. Was required to write a summary of this for office - am printing it below:

1. Some meetings are bad. Why?
a. Some meetings are bad because they lack proper context. They become a mélange of varying types of discussions with a wide-range of importance to the organization (with most being not-very-much).
2. Conflicts are a good thing.
a. This is true for ever
Justin de la Cruz
This is fiction book that tells a whole story just so the author can hit you with some practical knowledge about a certain subject. The subject here is business meetings: Lencioni has some good tips on how to conduct meetings - different types of meetings for different purposes, let conflict come out, don't plan for tactical meetings - but I didn't need an entire story about an ex-golfer-turned-manager, filled with completely flat characters to get these tips. The appendices included (that come ...more
Heidi Kelsch
This book was an easy and quick read. Lencioni writes the majority of the book into a fiction story to keep the reader riveted and to get his points across. This style allows you to see the points in action and keeps you reading. At the very end of the book, he summarizes all the points that were made throughout his story so that you are clear on them and are able to access them quickly.
Let's face it, one of the most important - yet many times the most neglected - aspect of all leaders is meeti
Aaron Taylor
Maybe the principles are true, but the poor storytelling was a real obstacle for me. Everything about the fable was so contrived. So convenient. So dramatic. So cheesy. So buddy-buddy. "Please like me, reader. I'm cool and funny." Everyone was a golden child and the scenarios were very unrealistic.

As far as meeting management goes, I don't know if I learned anything new here. You need conflict and drama in meetings. You should also have different types of meetings. Okay.

If this is on your list
Kevin Driskill
This book was much longer than it needed to be but still a quick and interesting read. I believe the principles given are well stated and would be effective for the right size company. Smaller companies and those spread out over distances will find the full concept difficult or unnecessary, but I think there is some good advice for all companies with more than a few employees. As to the style of writing I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. The "fable" portion may seem unnecessary but w ...more
Howard Freeman
I agree with another reviewer about the length; this could have been a magazine article. I skimmed the entire thing and read parts, and it took me about 30 minutes. Lots of good stuff and well worth the price, but wasted a lot of trees to make it as long as it was. On the positive side, considering meetings like movies -- adding conflict and considering context -- really resonates with me, and I will think of meetings differently because of this book. So it was successful in teaching me its core ...more
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Reuniones que matan, de Patrick Lencioni.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: habilidades directivas, dirigir reuniones eficaces.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Reuniones que matan, Un método para acabar con las reuniones aburridas, frustrantes e inútiles: Reuniones que matan
BONDing over BOOKS
Who hasn't been in a boring, waste of time, check the box meeting at least more times than you care to admit? Have you ever walked away from a meeting thinking "you guys spend more time getting less done and avoiding anything remotely interesting!"

There are very few things in life that people across gender, race and class can agree upon that they dislike doing. If you had to guess, attending bad meetings would probably be close to the top. DEATH BY MEETING - A Leadership Fable...About Solving t
The book, like his previous ones, is cleverly structured in two large parts: The Fable and The Model. It's a quick read. The first part lays out a sort of novel, where the characters could pretty much be you and me, taking part in management meetings in our own companies, and tells the story of how implementing his methodology (brought about by a "consultant in disguise", impersonated by the CEO's personal assistant) helped put the company's steering team out of its meeting "misery", by turning ...more
Business books generally bug me. They throw out a punchline title and then try to sell you a revamped world view. I've always resisted them, but I am pushing myself to pick a few up and find out if any ideas gel with my experiences or work challenges.

This book seemed to be a good fit because it tackles everyone's favorite part of the week: endless meetings.

I have to be honest, I was both drawn into the fable section and simultaneously annoyed at myself for bothering with the story. When I got to
Another outstanding book on an important management skill by Patrick Lencioni. Once again using a fable, this time to illustrate how to approach improving meeting time and using meetings for four different purposes:
• The Daily Check-In (5 min): Share daily schedules and activities - don't sit down, keep it administrative, don't cancel even when some can't attend.
• The Weekly Tactical (45-90 min): Review weekly activities & metrics & resolve tactical obstacles & issues - don't set ag
This is the 4th Lencioni book I have read. The Five Dysfunctions of team which really made me think different about teams. Silos, Politics and Turf Wars when the commander of Special Operations at Fort Bragg made it required reading and it fundamentally made me stop thinking walls between organizations and the need for fish nets and not walls. Recently I finished his book The Advantage which was a good look at the importance of shared values, goals and visions. Well Death by Meetings written in ...more
This is my second time reading this book. It is Lencioni's best book as it resonates the most with me. I spend an extensive amount of time in meetings and so need to keep them relevant and productive. Death by Meeting presents a leadership fable of a Company CEO whose company is floundering as a result of conducting poorly constructed meeting. This fable highlights two ingredients necessary to make meetings effective. They are conflicet and structure. Conflict also reffered to as human drama is ...more
I checked out the audiobook CDs from my library and finished listening to the book in less than a week. Overall it was compelling to listen to. The author's writing style is captivating in that he draws you into the fictional story of a company struggling to cross a threshold.

As far as content goes I'm not certain that I completely agree with his basic premise, that meetings are disliked by most people because they're boring and lack conflict. Maybe I'm getting caught up in semantics, but just b
Cathy Allen
Nine times out of 10, when someone says "we need our nonprofit board to be more 'business-like,'" what they are really saying is "we need these meetings to suck less." That's one reason why I enjoyed this book. The other reason is this: I love meetings. Working collaboratively with others is a big thrill for me, one of my strengths, something that gets me going in the morning. But good collaboration requires face time, sometimes in large-ish groups, and it can be difficult to convince others to ...more
Dave Forman
For those who don't like narrative type books, you'll probably hate the story and just be waiting for the executive summary. You're in luck; there is one at the end of the book. I particularly enjoy the narrative type because it can help with envisioning application in your own environment as you go though the book. All in all, it's a very helpful book if you are struggling with ineffective, often boring, passionless, and meandering meetings. Great tool to put in the belt.
Was a good example for execs to streamline and categorize different meetings. I liked the analogy of comparing meetings to TV, movies, and miniseries; in order to keep them interesting by using conflict to get through important decisions and reach conclusions. However, I think there could have been something included about lower level meetings with teams or even conference calls and how to improve those. Overall a well written book that went by very quickly.
Aaron Bolin
The title, "Death by Meeting," really spoke to me as someone who has experienced my share of really bad meetings. Patrick Lencioni presents a compelling structure for meetings based around the concept of storytelling. Great ideas; his meeting structure could eliminate many bad meetings.

In terms of criticism, I thought the fable part of the book was mediocre. A mediocre story line is kind of ironic given the fact that the premise of the book revolves around effective storytelling.

I did enjoy the
pri ambodo
sebetulnya, yang saya baca versi Indonesianya, yang diterbitkan oleh penerbit salemba empat

penuturuannya dibuat bagian per bagian sesuai dg tema pembahasan dan hal2 yang dicapai

mungkin terlihat sederhana tema yang diangkat, tapi dalam kenyataan hal itu banyak terjadi di organisasi/perusahaan

meeting-meeting tingkat eksekutif tidak menyenangkan, tiap peserta merasa cemas ketika harus ikut meeting, dan hasilnya pun tidak optimal

pesan utama yg bisa ditangkap adalah, gaya kepemimpinan yg harus bisa m
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • High Five!: The Magic of Working Together
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...