Start by marking “Xenos” as Want to Read:
Xenos

Xenos (Eisenhorn #1)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,674 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
The Inquisition moves amongst mankind like an avenging shadow, striking down the enemies of humanity with complete ruthlessness. Inquisitor Eisenhorn faces a vast interstellar cabal and the dark power of daemons, all racing to recover an arcane text of supreme and abominable power - an ancient tome known as the Necroteuch. Book I in the Eisenhorn trilogy sets a new ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Games Workshop(uk) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Xenos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xenos

Markus
Mar 06, 2016 Markus rated it really liked it
“What the hell are you doing, trooper?” he managed to bark, his pronounced Adam's apple bobbing furiously.
“Performing the ministry of the sacred Inquisition,” I told him, and shot him through the head.

There comes a time every now and then when quite mindless action and the utter glorification of violence are exactly what you need to enjoy a story. Then along comes moments like this, when you can't help but cheer out loud.

Gregor Eisenhorn is an Inquisitor; an agent of the God-Emperor seeking to p
David Sven
Aug 31, 2014 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 41st Millenium, The God Emperor of Mankind rules from Terra, charging his Inquisitors with hunting down the Alien, the Daemon and the Heretic wherever they threaten Human Kind across the universe. From the series that coined the term "grim dark" comes a tale that spans multiple planets and will take us across the void and through the immaterium to battle the restless forces of evil in its various guises...as defined by the God Emperor of course...and subject to the specific interpretation ...more
Nate
Oct 06, 2014 Nate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm bummed I wrote the 40k books off as licensed garbage for so many years...but I mean, who would really blame me? They look fucking horrible! Look at the cover to this book. Despite my prejudices, Abnett is a genuinely good writer of action-heavy science fiction, with arguably a good dose of horror as well. This particular series is a bit of a change from the usual focus on military action, though. Its main character is Gregor Eisenhorn, an Inquisitor in the Ordo Xenos (aliens) branch of the ...more
Cheryl Matthynssens
Oct 30, 2015 Cheryl Matthynssens rated it really liked it
A friend of mine practically nagged me into reading this book due to interest in the table top game of 40k, my own writing, and roleplaying style. I put it off for some time as I do not personally like books written in first person. But, I did not want to let my friend down, I finally persevered and as I got into the novel I found myself not so thwarted by the point of view.

Dan Abnett has mastered painting a scene with words. I could clearly visualize every step of the book. My friend was right,
Daniel
Jul 29, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short take:

Now this is space opera! The WH40K setting provides an intriguing backdrop, while Abnett exercises what must be an impressive sense of imagination to go nuts in this sandbox. I had a lot of fun reading this book and experienced a fair amount of "woah" moments. Frakking fantastic!

More thoughts:

Once in awhile I'm down for some wicked space adventure; who knew that a WH40K title could provide that fix and leave new cravings in its wake? Abnett gets galaxy-spanning props for the awesome
Nelson
May 04, 2016 Nelson rated it really liked it
Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn is a total badass!

This is my first book in the Warhammer Universe, many people have told it works as the perfect introduction to the universe and I agree. There are many details about things I don't know about but they never get in the way of the story.

Action packed, kinda funny and fast paced. Dan Abnett writing is very detailed but at no point was like "OMG! just get into the action."

100% recommended if you like action packed stories and sci-fi/fantasy.

Mel
Jun 23, 2012 Mel rated it really liked it
This book did make me laugh a little as in the begining the author said how excited he was to write for the Inquisition series as it'd be a chance to delve into the culture and worlds of 40k and see what life was like on all the different planets and not just focus on the battles of the space marines. The book was nearly all battles and adventures with one chase leading into another and another conflict. There was very little time for characterisation or world building, which is a shame as I do ...more
Michael Dodd
Jul 11, 2016 Michael Dodd rated it it was amazing
Widely held as a Black Library classic, Dan Abnett’s Xenos is the first installment in his Eisenhorn trilogy and the first novel to take a close look at the workings of the Inquisition. First published in 2001 following the release of the Inquisitor game by Games Workshop (in which the character of Eisenhorn was briefly introduced), it sees the young Gregor Eisenhorn closing in on a target only to realise he’s just beginning to scratch the surface of a much, much wider conspiracy involving the ...more
Tbloxham
Feb 15, 2010 Tbloxham rated it really liked it
The best book series set in the 40K universe, and one of the few which stand alone as a real quality read even for people who know nothing about 40K. Eisenhorn is an intriguing hero, and his change from upright enforcer of the strict code of the law, to be being hardly different in his methods than those he chases and punishes is intriguing.
Chompa
Mar 01, 2009 Chompa rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good book. Interesting characters, plot and lots of good 40K style action.

I particularly like that it was in 1st person. Very unusual for a SciFi book. Moving on to the next two books.
Tim
Mar 07, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Dan Abnett is a god... 'nuff said

But that aside, this is actually the first WH40K book I encountered that I would (and that I am) recommend to my non-warhammer-savvy friends.

So, if you like science fiction, and didn't delve into the universe just yet... then this is an excellent start.
Kam
Apr 29, 2013 Kam rated it really liked it
I suppose we have all seen them: those stacks and stacks of Warhammer 40,000 books in the bookstore, oftentimes with some pretty interesting covers - enough to briefly grab and hold one's attention into looking at it for a while before, most likely, moving on. This is precisely what I have done very often before, since I have no knowledge of the shared universe in which these books are written, and I haven't been curious enough about them to figure out where to even begin.

But then I met Steven.
Diana H.
Nov 25, 2016 Diana H. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40-000
My son has been talking about the Warhammer games for years, so I have been familiar with this universe. However, this is the first title I have read that is background for the games.
What a great introduction to this series. As with many movie or game tie-in type books, you don't need to be familiar with the world to enjoy the books.
This book stands on its own without requiring the reader to already be familiar with what should be happening. While some of the character names and places needed so
Tony Hernandez
Oct 15, 2016 Tony Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Best space epic I've ever read, and this is just the first of the trilogy!

I admit, I am really into the Warhammer 40,000 universe and wanted another way to consume the amazing world. When I looked up what Warhammer 40k book to start with, Abnett's work kept coming up and this did not disappoint.

Basically, if you're not into Warhammer 40k, you still need to read this. This is what I've always imagined when I've thought of epic space opera. This is like an x-rated Star Wars film, space fantasy wit
Alexander Bradley
Oct 24, 2016 Alexander Bradley rated it really liked it
A gritty and in depth look at an inquisitors work in the imperium. Well paced to keep your attention all the way through and it has a very satisfying ending that leads nicely on to a sequel. Worth a read if you want a break from the large and bloody conquests typical of warhammer 40k.
Martin
Apr 07, 2014 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k
Dan Abnett in my opinion is the quintessential author to read when it comes to the Warhammer 40K Universe. This is because he just *gets* it. The gothic feel of the Imperium, the splendour of exotic alien worlds, the horrific nature of Chaos. But he also gets that these are pulp adventure stories meant to excite and amaze too.

His books read like film scripts, with just enough plot, character, and action to get you from start to finish without you being distracted by anything else. I could easily
Emilio
Mar 11, 2016 Emilio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ci-fi, wh40k
Una introducción no muy dura a WH40K.

Bueno, una introducción no muy dura, no. Porque habla de munición que conocen sólo los wargamers, habla de la composición del ejército que sólo conocen los wargamers y de otro mogollón de cosas que salen y que no las explican y que sólo conocen los wargamers. Y digo yo: ¿para quién están pensadas estas novelas? Pues eso.

Para el que no conozca esta ambientación lo mismo habría que buscar otra novela. Quizás la Herejía de Horus, pero no tengo ni idea de cuál.

¿E
Steve Chaput
Oct 05, 2016 Steve Chaput rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Eisenhorn trilogy. Writer Dan Abnett does his usual great job with the Warhammer 40K world.

Gregor Eisenhorn is one of the feared Inquisitors who seek out any heresy against the Emperor. One of my favorite of Abnett characters perhaps second to the Gaunt's Ghosts series that take place in the same universe.
Adriana
Feb 08, 2011 Adriana rated it liked it
Shelves: black-library
WolfBread
Sep 16, 2015 WolfBread rated it really liked it
(Read as part of The Eisenhorn Omnibus)

I used to play Warhammer 40k back when I was in high school and got into it a few times again in college. Most recently, I took up an interest in the Dawn of War RTS. Then I started hunting for good Black Library books to check out since I remembered loving Nightbringer so much. Then I happened upon the Eisenhorn Omnibus. Right now I'm actually reading that, but since this is the first book inside of that book; I felt like I should go ahead and do a quick
Derek
Aug 15, 2012 Derek rated it really liked it
I have to say, I love Abnett's prose, even if he constantly blows heads off random red-shirts. This is my fourth Abnett novel and serves as my first dip into the Eisenhorn trilogy. I had purchased the ombinus years ago, but had lost it while moving around during the college years. Thankfully, my awesome local library has an single copy of all three novels. Unfortunately, I guess they prove pretty popular, as their entire 40k novel section has virtually been wiped out by excited readers. SIGH.

So,
Shayne
Jan 02, 2016 Shayne rated it liked it
Dan Abnett is living proof that licensed fiction doesn't always have to be poorly written. Sure, most of the time it's so bad it makes me cringe, but at least I now know that there can be rare quality among all the amateur drivel.

Xenos is not Abnett's best work. Yet, considering the pathetic efforts of the majority of Warhammer 40,000 authors, this novel still towers over the others like a Space Marine amongst ratlings.

In Xenos we tag along with an Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos as he tackles a c
johan _5179
Sep 09, 2013 johan _5179 rated it really liked it
Xenos is an exciting foray into the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and I believe it is ideal for the beginner since it is very good as a stand-alone book of Sci-Fi literature. The characters are a strength, with most of them receiving good treatment from the author. The main cast is detailed very well, informing the reader about the meticulous nature of Gregor Eisenhorn’s observation. The first person narrative helps the reader explore the mind of the Inquisitor and makes them sympathise with him, ...more
Michal
Jul 18, 2016 Michal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Žít v takové době znamená být jedním z nesčíselných miliard, smířit se se životem v nejkrutějším a nejkravějším představitelném režimu. Toto jsou příběhy z oněch časů. Zapomeňte na moc techniky a vědy, protože ta je z větší části pro lidstvo navždy ztracena. Zapomeňte na příslib pokroku a porozumění, protože v děsivé temnotě budoucnosti není nic než válka. Mezi hvězdami neexistujé smír, jen nekonečné krveprolití, masakry a škodolibý smích žíznících bohů.

Temná budúcnosť vykreslená vo svete Warham
George
Sep 17, 2015 George rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded up to 4. Not quite as good as some other of Abnett's work, but a very engaging and quick read nonetheless. I also appreciated some of the deeper lore in this book regarding the Inquisition, Arbites, etc. I have read much of his other work from the Gaunt's Ghosts and Horus Heresy series, and I will definitely be continuing with the Eisenhorn series, but so far this book falls just short of those.

(mild spoilers below)

In particular, despite all the awful things Eisenhorn endures
Jason
Aug 26, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Amidst the occasional cliches and cheese there was a lot of rich texture to be found. The plot itself didn't leave me with many questions, but the introduction to the complex world it's set in sure did. I want to know more about Astropaths! What's the history of the space marines and the Emperor's Children? I know these weren't necessarily inventions of the author (as the book is set in the richly developed Warhammer 40k universe), but he does a great job of introducing the reader to them in ...more
Javir11
Jul 15, 2016 Javir11 rated it liked it
He dudado entre tres y cuatro estrellas, pero el regustillo amargo que me dejó el final me ha hecho decantarme por las tres, aunque de poder le pondría 3.5/5

Este primer libro de la trilogía de Eisenhorn cumple de sobra con lo que promete, acción y entretenimiento. Algo que ya es mucho más de lo que pueden decir otros.

Gracias a la prosa de Abnett y al ritmo trepidante se lee muy rápido, algo que de normal agradezco, pero que ahora en verano ya es para hacerle la ola.

¿Entonces por qué las 3 estrel
Nikos
Oct 02, 2015 Nikos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I liked:

-It's Warhammer 40k.
-Some cool concepts on the different planets.
-The battles were enjoyable, although

What I disliked:

-The battles suffered from the Storm Trooper syndrome. Bad guys rarely found their mark.
-The characters were very bland and cliche. Every person was either good or bad, no middle ground.
-The writing style was over-descriptive. I don't want to know what everyone's wearing and what gun they're holding at all times.
-Very few xenos, for a book called Xenos.
-The ending wa
Nathan
May 30, 2010 Nathan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed-2010
This book was given to me by a friend as part of a stack of older books from the Warhammer 40,000 universe. If I wasn't a fan of the universe, I probably wouldn't have read them, and if I wasn't given them, I still probably wouldn't have read them.

But, I was glad that I did. Abnett is clearly feeling his way around as a new author and within the Warhammer 40k universe limitations, but the book gets better written from the first chapter to the last.

There's some character development, and a semi-
Ser Sabri The Self Knighted
Sep 27, 2015 Ser Sabri The Self Knighted rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
To be honest, my knowledge of the Warhammer universe is pretty limited to the games I played on the PC, and It was a very long time ago that I forgot about most of lore.

When I found this book mentioned in an article about 10 sci-fi books everyone should read, I was intrigued. At first, I didn't know what to expect. I thought it would be something generic, you know, a huge, straightforward battle between the space marines vs the heretics, and it was true in parts. But, it was much more than that.
  • Warriors of Ultramar
  • Ragnar's Claw (The Space Wolves Omnibus, #2)
  • The Traitor's Hand
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • Blood Reaver

Eisenhorn (3 books)
  • Malleus
  • Hereticus

“But my patience isn't limitless... unlike my authority.” 53 likes
“If he speaks again without me knowing who he is, I will throw him out of the window. And I won't open it first.” 48 likes