Start by marking “Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops” as Want to Read:
Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops

Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops (Niobe Trilogy #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  11 reviews
*Book 1 of the Niobe Trilogy* Princess Niobe of Lydia is intelligent, unconventional, and determined to chart her own course in life - despite her parents' wishes. Niobe's brother Pelops, who narrowly survives death at the hands of their father Tantalus, is charismatic, ambitious, and utterly ruthless. Together they will change the history of Hellas - and the world.
Published December 5th 2010 by Createspace (first published December 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Children of Tantalus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of Tantalus

Kernos
What a pleasant surprise! Though originally published in Greek by a major publisher, this 1st book of a trilogy has been self-published in the US. Do not let that put you off. The novel is the best written, edited and produced such book I have read. I only found one possible typo in the entire book, unusual even from top publishers.

The book is a novelization of the myth of Tantalus and his children Pelops, Broteas and Niobe. Pelops and Tantalus are father and grandfather of the great House of A
Chrissie
NO SPOILERS!!!

I wrote this review and it didn't get saved.......................... GRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Let me summarize by saying that this is the first in a trilogy of three books. Although it does not end with a cliffhanger, there are so many threads that left unresolved that you must continue. Immediately! I have already begun the second book The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion.

Besides being about the ancient Greek gods and city-states, about myths and legend, it is about love. All kinds of lov
Iset
Let me be straightforward at the very first. Children of Tantalus is a good book - competently written, interesting setting, good premise, interesting characters... It doesn't do much wrong, if anything, and it is certainly enjoyable.

I am probably Children of Tantalus’ ideal target audience. I grew up loving the tales of Greek myth and legend, and have pursued the subject of ancient history into adulthood - with a particular interest in the Bronze Age Aegean and Near East. I was familiar with th
Belles Livres
Well, I finished reading Children of Tantalus. I think the book deserves 4.5 stars but am giving it 5 because others gave it only 4 – and because I realize that I enjoyed it more than Helen of Troy and much, much more than The Firebrand. The reasons may only be personal to me, so let me share them. First, I may have overdosed on the story of Troy – I was less familiar with the myths associated with Tantalus and the young Pelops and Niobe, so the story was more unexpected. Second, I was sick of h ...more
Geralyn
I really loved this book. If you're a Greek mythology fan, be sure to pick this up (as well as the other books in the trilogy and JOCASTA). I have not yet read the other selections, but I plan on doing a whole read of these captivating characters when I can set time aside to do so.
Victoria_Grossack Grossack
Mar 23, 2014 Victoria_Grossack Grossack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I don't want to review my own work, so here's a review by Steve Donoghue for the Historical Novel Society:

The long and complicated story Grossack and Underwood unfold in their thrilling and absorbing trio of books, The Children of Tantalus, The Road to Thebes, and The Arrows of Artemis, has been told before; the family saga of Tantalus, Pelops, and Niobe was a staple of ancient Greek mythologists. But our authors have taken the often one-note moralizing of
Amelie
i originally gave this 4 stars - but now that i'm well into the next one, i'm changing it to 5
Hilary Green
CHILDREN OF TANTALUS &
THE ROAD TO THEBES
(Tapestry of Bronze series)
by Alice Underwood and Victoria Grossack

These books are a fascinating foray into the world of Greek mythology. The writers have succeeded in taking the ancient legends of Pelops and Niobe and re-telling them as exciting and romantic novels. Pelops, the younger son of King Tantalus of Lydia, chooses exile after being attacked by his own father, and his sister Niobe runs away with him to escape a forced marriage. Their subseque
Barbara West
EDUCATION ON The GODS.

EDUCATION ON The GODS.

Certainly a change in genre for this reader, yet nevertheless interesting. Well done as author incorporates the history of this time period with passion and intrigue.
Leila
I suppose I get that this is a series. What isn't these days. I just felt like nothing happened. It was as if somebody had one scene in mind and tried to write a book around it. The other characters come and go but seem to be thrown in to affect the main character. They have absolutely no depth. I suppose the book follows the style of Greek mythology in that way, I just didn't care for it.
Titus Pullo
Fast-paced and full of chariot races - great for those wanting to move on from the kids' books of Riordan into mythology based more for adults.
Divya
Divya marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jen Zolper
Jen Zolper marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Leigh Zepeda
Leigh Zepeda marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jackballoon
Jackballoon marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Miranda Barnett
Miranda Barnett marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Electric truck
Electric truck marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Reeda
Reeda marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Niobe Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion
  • Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris (Tapestry of Bronze)
Jocasta: The Mother-Wife of Oedipus The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris (Tapestry of Bronze) Antigone and Creon: Guardians of Thebes (Tapestry of Bronze)