Start by marking “Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty” as Want to Read:
Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty

Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  299 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
What If Your Weight Wasn’t Your Fault?

If you are like most, you have tried to find an easy, enjoyable, permanent weight loss solution. One that doesn’t make you give up too many of your favorite foods, have you working out like a maniac, and won’t fail you in the long run. But long-term success is awfully hard if you don’t address the hidden culprit behind the excess fat
Published December 28th 2010 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sexy Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sexy Forever

Terri Rogers
Apr 29, 2013 Terri Rogers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I read this to make sure I wasn't missing out on some big aging secret. The good news is that I'm not. AND for heaven's sake!.....It's hard to get behind a book that spent the first half of the book telling you how to detox yourself of dangerous toxins in your environment (cleaners, cosmetics, drinking water, etc.,etc. including some very expensive therapies that 9 out of 10 of us just could never afford even if you wanted to) only to then be told in the DETOX diet plan that I should include in ...more
Cherop
May 07, 2014 Cherop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, health
I borrowed this book from the library. I try to read many of Suzanne Somers books for health tips and recipes. This book is an easy read and not as long as some of her others. It has some good looking recipes at the back and I hope to try a few of them.
Yolanda
Very interesting book. Because Suzanne Somers has personally gone through physical changes from aging, it is easier to except her explanation about how the body changes after forty. Ms Somers has been studying for years and has at her disposal experts in this field. What she has found out has obviously worked for her, so her information seems to be reliable. She basically agrees with other healthy diet authors in that we are so full of toxins from years of exposure that our bodies are simply sho ...more
B J
While Sexy Forever is clearly about shedding excess weight, as well as keeping it off, it goes beyond the superficial and the obvious. Suzanne Somers addresses many surprising causes for that excess weight that seems to stubbornly hang on. I would not have guessed, for example, that some food additives and the chemical compounds that are an inescapable part of our daily lives contribute to weight gain. The chemicals in dry cleaning solvent and in our home furnishings and carpeting, among others, ...more
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 29, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve purchased a number of Suzanne Somers’ books, the latest being Sexy Forever. I liked the idea that shedding belly fat through diet, exercise and hormone balancing might be a more workable plan than just exercise and calorie cutting, especially since new research suggests the true culprits behind that ever increasing girth might be sugar and refined carbs combined with advancing years and hormonal imbalance. And certainly in my own quest for a slimmer midsection, this seems to be true.

Ms. Som
Maria
Mar 12, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am detoxing my body in every way I possibly can! I want to feel as healthy as I can and I feel this is the key! Great book. One step at a time; it won't happen over night. I'm actually doing the 4 saliva tests today on my birthday of all days but will be going on bio-identical hormones real soon and I bet I feel a whole lot better when my hormones are more balanced! Amen! Good read!
Desiree
Feb 16, 2011 Desiree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I wouldn't call this a real read. It was mostly a skim while I was at work. About half of the book is a diet plan and recipes, and about a quarter of it is an advertisement for Somers' products or the products of her sponsers. I became interested in this book after listening to an interview with Suzanne on the radio. There is some helpful information, especially on how to deal with acid reflux and heart burn. Did you know heart burn is caused by a lack of acid? Therefore using antacids has a neg ...more
Lisa N
Feb 08, 2011 Lisa N rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I try to read fitness books from time to time to stay health-focused. I think Suzanne Somers is very beautiful and intelligent.

The beginning of this book scared the heck out of me with all the info on toxins. I am concerned about toxins, but I do not think they are making us fat. The dietary advice seemed contradictory. She says that excessive caffeine and alcohol can be poisonous, yet if you manage your body’s “toxic burden” you can occasionally indulge. My personal theory is that caffeine som
Emily
Nov 24, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her plan is the only one I've ever lost weight simply by changing when I eat abd in what combinations. There was a lot of excess info in this book that I skimmed through but an looking forward to seeing if her plan will with food me again.
Tracey
Feb 22, 2011 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I read this today, coughing, hacking, and sneezing- not feeling sexy at all.. and not quite sure, to hones, why I ordered this book. I guess being a fan of Three's Company.. You would expect this book to be about diet tips, exercise, bbut NO it's focus is on food allergies! So I will again, go look through my lab results and take another trip through gluten free land to see it this will change the course of illness, or rather find my path to wellness.. I would recommend this as a tool to ho ...more
Linda
Not my favorite. Too technical and not possible for me.
Julie
Feb 10, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good health book or older women.
Sandra
Jan 08, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative
Beth
Jan 21, 2013 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think any woman nearing 40 should just read this and think about the information she provides the reader. It prepares you for the things that may happen to you. Obviously, every woman experiences perimenopause and menopause differently, but in a lot of ways, we experience it the same and we shouldn't be afraid to admit and talk to each other about it. It's a part of life that is going to happen so why not embrace it? Why should we go through such a major change in our lives alone?
Susan
Jan 23, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More important information on bioidenticals....
Peggy Grigowski
I thought this book gave good information on hormones and staying fit. Good information.
Teeniemisfeldt
This is pretty good. Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism is much much better. Suzanne has the right idea but she spends too much time trying to sell you her own products rather than telling you where to find reasonably priced products, food, etc., as Jillian does in her book. She also pushes bioidentical hormones rather than trying to balance your hormones by living and eating healthily.
Flelly
May 06, 2011 Flelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the douchey exterior fool you. Suzanne is boldly leading women into their post forty years. I nurtured a similar love for Marilu Henner years ago when she emerged as a voice for clean eating. Ppl that have to look good for a living sometimes end up caring about their health unless they just want to surgery things up. This book has a lot of great things in it. Solidly researched info.
Linda
Feb 16, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of hocus-pocus with much of the same info about eating organic, less meat, more produce plus some info about chemicals, toxic and good. Not much take-away for me.
Karen
Sep 11, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from the library after a friend recommended it for my hormonal imbalances. I thought there was a lot of good information in her book about hormones and how they affect women after 40 and our options today. I'm not sure what I think of her diet plan, but that wasn't why I read the book. Lots of good information about toxins and our health, too.
Kim
Dec 08, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Once you are able to put aside who the author is writing the book, some of the information is good to know. Also, a little repetitive in some parts, but I think she is trying to drive home important ideas about health. Don't let the title fool you, it is not just another weight-loss book, it touches on good health and the end result is a great body.

Susanna
Aug 04, 2011 Susanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! After reading this book I have changed many things in my life, from the way I eat, what I put on and in my body and how I shop for food (reading labels and buying organic). Suzanne looks awesome at 63 and this book gives one hope that with these changes you can look that great too. Thank you, Suzanne, you are an inspiration and my new hero!!!
Kelly Olexa
So far, this is yet another amazing book by Suzanne- a ton of research has gone into this as with her other books. As I have seen improved health and fitness in 2010 by eliminating the toxic food in my "diet".....reading this is making me ready to do MORE. It all just makes so much SENSE.....stay tuned.
Lorraine
Nov 12, 2011 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Why does Suzanne add "after Forty" to her title?? The book is filled with great, sound, healthy information for any woman to follow to feel vital and energetic. A must read if you're looking for natural ways and life style changes to improving your health and enhancing your quality of life.
Stefani Hancock
Aug 31, 2012 Stefani Hancock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has just opened my eyes to all the toxins we are exposed to daily. I have gone green...make my own non toxic cleaners, & laundry soap. I will only buy organic fruit & veggies (we have noticed the produce tastes better)...my children are worth the extra investment.
Stacey
Jun 27, 2012 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-body, kindle
The holistic doctor I am seeing for my RA recommended this as one of several books I should read regarding the food and hormone connection to inflammation and RA. It was very interesting and corresponds with everything else I've read on these issues.
Suzanne Jankowski
Most of the chapters were repetitive, subject could have been covered in half the amount of pages. Her diet plan appears to be a combination of the Adkins diet and The Zone diet.
Angela Mcvay
Jun 06, 2011 Angela Mcvay rated it it was ok
I skimmed this book. It's too organic for my taste not only about food, but everything else in one's life. The recipes at the back of the book did look good though.
Sheila
Jun 10, 2012 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of an infomercial but some good stuff mixed in. Maybe it should be two stars. But feels like it's all been said before.
  • The Serotonin Power Diet: Use Your Brain's Natural Chemistry to Cut Cravings, Curb Emotional Overeating, and Lose Weight
  • Your Best Body Now: Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way
  • The Thyroid Diet Revolution: Manage Your Master Gland of Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss
  • How To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week - The Ultimate 7 Day Weight Loss Kick Start
  • The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know
  • Survive the Unthinkable: The 5 Most Effective Methods and 2 Controversial Truths about Women's Self-Protection
  • The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care
  • Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!
  • Gourmet Nutrition: The Cookbook for the Fit Food Lover
  • The Silver Compass
  • Restless Heart
  • Healing Touch
  • Green Smoothies: The Weight Loss & Detox Secret: 50 Recipes for a Healthy Diet (Special Diet Cookbooks & Vegetarian Recipes Collection Book 3)
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • The Hidden World of Birthdays
  • Suze Orman's Financial Guidebook: Put the 9 Steps to Work
  • Doorstep Twins
  • His Hired Baby (Safe Harbor Medical, #2)
Suzanne Somers is an American actress, author, and businesswoman. Best known for her role as the ditzy blonde Chrissy Snow on the ABC sitcom Three's Company, she also had a noted starring role on the sitcom Step by Step as Carol Foster Lambert. She later capitalized on her acting career by also establishing herself as an author of a series of self-help books. She has released two autobiographies, ...more
More about Suzanne Somers...