I quattro cantoni

I quattro cantoni (Nero Wolfe #21)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,138 ratings  ·  56 reviews
I quattro cantoni, pubblicato nel 1952, inizia con una situazione insolita: un'affascinante sconosciuta offre 350 dollari ad Archie Goodwin, il fedele aiutante di Nero Wolfe, per poter essere ospitata presso l'abitazione del detective, senza fornire alcuna spiegazione. Si tratta in realtà di una giovane ereditiera che, come regalo di compleanno, sta per ricevere un lascito...more
Paperback, Oscar Scrittori, 203 pages
Published August 2005 by Mondadori (first published January 1st 1952)

Jen
Oct 29, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wolfe lovers
Recommended to Jen by: Beth
This was my first Nero Wolfe book. I wasn't so crazy about the story overall, but I did get a big ol' kick out of Archie and Nero and their relationship. I think I'm going to have to start at the beginning of the series in order to get a better appreciation of it.
Alexis Neal
Under normal circumstances, a woman showing up on Wolfe's door looking for a place to stay would be unceremoniously bounced. But if the woman shows up when Wolfe and Archie are in the middle of a standoff, she may end up being escorted inside so Archie can use her to antagonize his employer. The situation is complicated when someone else tries to hire Wolfe to find a missing heiress (the same young lady who just so happens to be upstairs in the South Room). Wolfe's self esteem won't let him acce...more
Sparrow
Nero Wolfe is Sherlock Holmes translated into 1950s New York: massively overweight, not ascetically lean; luxurious, not thrifty; a gourmet, not a cokehead. His assistant is a belligerent bully rather than a bumbling doctor. But the assistant is still the narrator (like Dr. Watson). His name is Archie Goodwin: a fabulous, complex name (suggesting that he's arch, but good, yet wins?). Archie is alternately inarticulate and a master of metaphor:

"I couldn't deny that the effect Coke and rum had on...more
Nan Silvernail
A young woman appears suddenly at Nero Wolfe's brownstone and wants to pay to stay there for ten days. Intolerable! But Wolfe is busy upstairs with his orchids and Archie is angry enough to want to teach Wolfe a lesson, so in she comes. But soon after a man shows up who is searching for that very same girl and needs to find her in ten days. Turns out, she's a heiress and in ten days on her 25th birthday she will inherit quite a lot of money. When this game of Hide and seek becomes deadly, Wolfe...more
David Monroe
This is one of the few Wolfe books where I think Stout missed the mark. This was essentially an Archie revenge story. Stout started there but got lost along the way. He spent too much on the Mcguffin and lost the thread of the driving narrative. As a result, this felt padded and then abruptly ended. I think the wonderful 2000 - 2001 A&E TV series, Nero Wolfe actually improved on this story with its adaptation. In the season one two part episode, it picked up on Archie's turmoil of feeling he...more
Benjamin
I don't write reviews of most of these books, partly because one is pretty much similar to another and also because mysteries, as a function of the genre to which they belong, are all more or less the same. The reason I read these mysteries instead of others is because these are really good mysteries. Since I don't normally read mysteries at all, I think you can also extrapolate that I think they are really good books in their own right.

This one is much more an Archie Goodwin story than a Nero W...more
Hope
A really good Wolfe. The stakes are higher than normal (compared to other Stout books) because Archie is personally involved and cooperates with the NYPD to catch the killer of an heiress who initially comes to Wolfe for help, but is turned away and subsequently murdered. The snarky interaction between Archie and Wolfe is always fun reading; this one is more subtle and less arch than other novels.
Ann
Great detectives sometimes pass up a case and the potential client winds up dead. Wolfe is not alone in his imperiousness; Sherlock Holmes did the same thing in "The Resident Patient." In the case of Prisoner's Base, this scenario doesn't sit well with Wolfe's jack of all trades, Archie Goodwin. Unfortunately, in pursuit of the murderer of heiress Priscilla Eads, he puts another young lady in danger. This is one of Stout's tricky book titles; the term 'prisoner's base' doesn't come into the stor...more
Jason
It's so hard to write these "reviews" -I don't want to write anything on the plot for fear of giving something away-and continuously writing about how brilliant Rex Stout is, because anyone bothering to read my reviews already knows I feel that way. So-this was fabulous and really loved it!
Erin Germain
Mysteries can leave me either raving or ranting. I'll admit up front, I knew this story before reading, because I was a huge fan of the A&E series, but there were changes in the television show from the book, so some things were new. Even knowing who was going to get bumped off and who the killer was, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and was even a little sorry to come to the end. Stout's telling of the story, through Archie Goodwin, is wonderful. We don't know anything that happens until Arc...more
Peggy
I admit I am a huge Nero Wolfe fan. More accurately, I am an Archie Goodwin fan. In this book Archie, Wolfe's assistant, becomes the client. A woman who looks to Archie and Nero for help is murdered and Archie takes it personally. As always many suspects leads keep me guessing. These books a fun, easy reading, and never fail to entertain me.
Criss
My dad is a big fan of the Nero Wolfe books, in part because of the food descriptions. He gave me this book a while ago (an edition so old it doesn't have an ISBN), and I finally picked it up.

I really enjoyed Archie's voice, his narration, and how he presents the relationship between the two men.

Sadly, a quick search of the ebooks available at the public library showed no Rex Stout Wolfe books, and I don't know if Wolfe titles written by other authors well have the same voice/narrative qualities...more
Ansar
Wonderful book. I could not put it down till I finished it
Josh
One of my favorite Nero Wolfe's so far.
Lachlan
Just like eating at McDonalds you know exactly what you'll get with Nero Wolfe. Unlike McDonalds the effect is satisfying.

Having watched the A&E version of this several times it was nice to read the original. There are some intelligent changes - dropping Mr Fomos from the TV show, he really is padding. But I think the script writers missed an important part of the conversation between Jaffe and Goodwin when they first meet - no more detail as it's a spoiler.
Ed
#21 in the Nero Wolfe series.

Nero Wolfe series - A young woman who will shortly inherit control of a large manufacturing firm wants to rent a room in Nero Wolfe's house. Wolfe, outraged, puts her out; she is found murdered later that night. With no client in sight, Wolfe is not interested, but Archie feels responsible. His first step is to crash a meeting of the manufacturer's board of directors.
Mary
It's Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin...of course I liked it! In this outing, Archie sets out on his own for a bit after the death of a woman Wolfe has turned out of the house. When another woman is killed while Archie is on the phone with her, he begins to take it to heart. A good, clean read; it's always fun to hear Wolfe unravel the solution at the end!
Eileen
Now that I have the itch, I will probably need to read one of these a week. This one is so very "Archie Goodwin" that it is for sure one of my favorites.

A mystery that you can read over and over again is a special thing. For anyone who loves mysteries but has never discovered Nero Wolfe & Archie Goodwin, this is a great one to start with.
Prajna
Maybe I would have liked this more if I'd read some of the other Nero Wolfe books. I liked the writing style and characters, but was a little lost sometimes without the character back story. Maybe I'm overly suspicious from reading so much Agatha Christie, but I was pretty sure who did it and why from early on in the book and I was right.
earthy
One of my favorite Nero Wolfe books! Archie develops a bit of a guilt complex after a potential client, ousted at Wolfe's request, ends up dead, leading to some epic snark and some really great interactions between Wolfe and Archie. Adapted into an episode of the A&E Nero Wolfe series, which was also great fun.
Vicki Cline
An heiress-to-be is murdered before she can inherit, and there are many who would profit by her demise. I'm never able to figure out who the murderer is in these books, but they're always interesting. I especially like the gathering of the suspects in Wolfe's office while he quizzes them.
Fredrick Danysh
Priscilla Eads came to Nero Wolfe to protect her for one week until she turns 25 and inherits her estate outright, Wolfe turns her out. Just a couple of hours later, both she and her maid are found strangled. Archie Goodwin feels responsible and vows to track down the killer.
Brenda Margriet
Good as always...only complaint was that Archie spends a lot of his time trying to help the cops find the murderer, even though Wolfe is on the case. Wasn't quite sure why he did that. Otherwise, classic Stout, with Archie a real catalyst in this one, on a personal level.
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
Most Nero Wolfe mysteries are "light." Yes, there's been a murder, but it's off-stage or we don't know the character well enough to care. That's not the case with Prisoner's Base. Archie Goodwin cares and so do we. This is one of my favorite Nero Wolfe novels.
Stephen Osborne
Another enjoyable Nero Wolfe mystery from Rex Stout. Wolfe's client in this one is none other than Archie himself. As usual, who cares who done it? The pleasure here is the banter between Archie and Wolfe, Wolfe's eccentricities, and Archie's humor.
Sarahanne
Reading a Nero Wolfe story is a step back in time. There is flavor and culture - and some good reminders of the progress we've made.

It's also an homage to my mom, a SERIOUS Rex Stout fan.

This one was enjoyable and pretty well paced.
Ellen Taylor
When an heiress asks Nero to help her, she ends up dead with many people with a motive to kill her. A typical Nero Wolfe mystery with many villains and believable characters. Another good read by Rex Stout.
Bill  Kerwin

A woman who unsuccessfully seeks Nero Wolfe's services is later found murdered. Archie feels responsible, and temporarily leave's Wolfe's employ to solve the case. Another good entry in the series.
Niffer
One of the problems with murder mysteries is someone has to die. In this case not one but two likable female characters are killed off. The book is good, but I was left feeling rather sad about the two women.
  • Murder in E Minor
  • A Walk Among the Tombstones (Matthew Scudder, #10)
  • Killer Dolphin (Roderick Alleyn, #24)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • The Dain Curse
  • The Case of the Waylaid Wolf
  • Cat Of Many Tails
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • Wicked Uncle (Miss Silver, #12)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)