Start by marking “King Crow” as Want to Read:
King Crow

King Crow

An offbeat and fascinating take on the eternal triangle, this debut novel from the Bradford-based playwright mixes intense emotion with ornithology.

Outsider Paul sees everyone as birds and finds making friends difficult. Yet, when he is thrown together in a journey to the Lakes with Ashley, who is tough, good-looking and has an abundance of street cred, they form an unlike
Published 2011 by Bluemoose

To ask other readers questions about King Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Crow

Книжни Криле
Днес ще летим на едни доста по-мрачни „Книжни Криле”. Всъщност дори черни. Гарванови. „Крал Гарван” на Майкъл Стюарт е поредното силно и провокативно предложение за млада аудитория от „Студио Арт Лайн”. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

William
Apr 26, 2012 William rated it really liked it
My partner, Jane, picked up a copy of this novel, signed by the author, and, frowning, began to read. After about fifteen minutes, she looked up and asked me, ‘Does it go on about chuffing birds all the way through?’ Yes, Jane. It does indeed go on about chuffing birds nearly all the way through. Most of the chapters are short, and every one is named after a kind of bird.

The main narrative of ‘King Crow’ is in the present tense and the first person – my favourite narrative mode.

The main charac
идея - 2
герои - 1
жанр - 2
поетика - 1

Внимание, по-голямата част от тази книга дава подробна информация за птиците - тяхното поведение, външни белези, разпространение, систематика и анатомия. Ако не искате да четете за разликата между зеленики и обикновени чинки, за изхранването на ястреба-врабчар, за птицата носорог, която не живее в Англия, за всички 187 от 636 птици, от които Пол вече е видял в естествена среда, е по-добре да не подбирате като четиво "Крал гарван". Защото тя ще ви нака
Yvonne
Nov 05, 2011 Yvonne rated it liked it
This is a great read, a first time novel by Michael Stewart.
It's about Paul Cooper, teenage boy from dysfunctional fatherless family, lesbian mother who seems to bring a lot of women through her bedroom and a sister he prefers not to think about. But what sustains Paul through his painful, guilty, confusing life; what he loves and what he thinks and reads about constantly, is birds. Paul is consumed by birds, they are his soother, his passion.
The reader learns that they are about 636 bird specie
J A Brunning
Sep 11, 2012 J A Brunning rated it it was amazing
You know from the start that the central character, Paul Cooper, is a lonely boy, introverted and inhabiting a world of his own on quite a profound level. Even engaging with the reader, he's a slippery character, hiding behind his obsession about birds right from the first line:

'When I look at people, I wonder what sort of birds they are.'

He distances himself from other people in every way he can, even introducing himself by his surname, and not because he's from an upper class public school e
Erik
I am sorry to say that I didn`t like this book. There was nothing interesting in it, the description of birds in every chapter were something new and fresh, but after fifty pages it was just something that was distracting me from the plot. The characters weren`t interesting enough.
To be honest this book was sucking energy out of me, and I read it till the end just cause my collegue asked me to and was talking about how great this book was for weeks.
But I did like the last 30 pages very much, t
MisterHobgoblin
Feb 14, 2017 MisterHobgoblin rated it really liked it
King Crow is a weird book about a weird boy. Paul Cooper is a high school pupil who views the world in terms of its relation to birds. Anyone he meets, he works out what kind of bird they equate to. His life's ambitions are mapped out in terms of birds. He's like a twitcher except he doesn't seem to travel anywhere to actually see the birds of his dreams. His life is mapped out in suburbs of Manchester.

So one day, when he sees Ashley - a new and good looking boy at school - Paul sees new possibi
David Hebblethwaite
Dec 20, 2011 David Hebblethwaite rated it really liked it
King Crow is narrated by sixteen-year-old Paul Cooper; not the most sociable of boys, he’s more interested in ornithology (and peppers this first-person account with facts from his bird books). But Cooper’s life takes a turn into darker territory when he becomes friends with Ashley O’Keefe at his new school; Ashley is mixed up in drugs, and double-crosses a local gangster in a bid to strike out on his own. Cooper and Ashley end up stealing a car and driving to Cumbria – one to flee the gang, the ...more
Jonathan
I was hipped to this book by a pamphlet on New North-West Writing in NW libraries picked up from my local library. It's set in Salford which I'm fairly familiar with, however I was kind of freaked out towards the end when the plot led me to my actual place of work some 200 miles away from where Paul Cooper starts his journey. I came out of this book feeling like I'd learned a lot about both animal and human behaviour. Michael Stewart's philosophical wit and beautifully drawn characters kept me w ...more
Steve Porter
Dec 29, 2014 Steve Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic little novel that reminds me in some ways of a contemporary and more riotous version of A Kestrel For a Knave/Kes. Paul Cooper is a troubled and introverted teenager from Salford, who knows everything there is to know about birds. He ends up reaping havoc across the North of England in a matter of days. Funny, sad and touching, so much happens in such a short space of time that the book threatens to veer from convincing realism into a slightly far-fetched thriller, but it reels itself ...more
Gabriela Kozhuharova
Опасният полет на „Крал Гарван“: http://azcheta.com/kral-garvan-maikal...

„Крал Гарван“ ми се стори леко неизпипана като стил и сюжет книга, която обаче има смелостта да се захване с клишетата на тийн жанра и да ги запрати в дивото. Историята е най-увлекателна, когато главният герой Купър разказва за любимите си птици или разсъждава над суровите закони на джунглата. В неговите очи отвращението на човека към смъртта и хранителните навици на мършоядите изглежда глупаво и неестествено. Светоусещанет
Gudrun
Apr 27, 2013 Gudrun rated it really liked it
I heard Michael Steward at his own author reading a little while ago. King Crow is his debut novel and what an enjoyable read it is.

Paul Cooper who comes form a dysfunctional family is only interested in birds and sees people as birds. He and his newly won friend Ashley go on a journey together and encounter a number of strange, even dangerous people as well as Paul falling in love with a young girl.

It is a fascinating story, told from Paul's perspective with a surprise ending - or maybe not qui
Pat Stearman
Apr 18, 2011 Pat Stearman rated it it was ok
Read this because the author did a talk in the library! I did enjoy it but I wouldn't recommend to my 'book group' of mum and friend as I really don't think it's their thing.
Protagonist is a strange and isolated teenage boy with an obsession for birds (this seems quite usual, had lots of kids in my first library - urban deprived area - who were into birds - maybe it says something about escape?)
Never sure what's in his imagination and what's really happening (I hate this!- see review of bluee
Gael
Feb 21, 2013 Gael rated it it was amazing
A cheeky little number. Gets under your skin, creeps up behind you and taps you on the shoulder, jumps out from behind a tree.

This is a very cleverly written novel. Narrator Paul Cooper is a bit odd, but completely draws you into his increasingly bizarre world. Don't let the first couple of chapters fool you into thinking this is going to be a kitchen sink drama. It's not. It reminded me of Marc Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, and of Ross Raisin's novel God's Own Coun
Elisabeth Cook
Apr 02, 2012 Elisabeth Cook rated it liked it
I bought this book when it won the 'Not a Booker Prize' and started it when it arrived, then forgot about it amidst university reading lists. I finished it off a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed Stewart's narrative style and the development of the protagonist, Paul, is interesting and endearing. The 'twist' at the end, however, was somewhat predictable and not dealt with in a particularly original or meaningful way. Whilst this book was an enjoyable read, it's also forgettable.
Katie Haden
Oct 12, 2016 Katie Haden rated it really liked it
Ending was a bit quick and disappointing, but fab book regardless. Straddles that undefined area between teen fic (definitely not) and straight fic (kinda but not). 16yo outsider Paul is really, really into birds. He goes on a road trip with bad boy Ashley, and things get a bit serious. Read it. Then read it again with a different set of eyes. Wish I hadn't taken 5yrs to find it on the bookshelf again!
Jonny Gibbings
Sep 27, 2011 Jonny Gibbings rated it really liked it
A very smart book. An interlaced plot that twists. Cooper make liking books of birds cool, and theft of them worthy. Like my espresso, dark and intense, up there with the best. Refreshingly different an unapologetic in its approach. A fantastic book. As in 'I love Chuck Palahniuk and it will be sharing shelf space with his' good.
Wendy
This was my book group read for the month. It's a fairly easy read though somewhat strange it kept me interested. I'm not really sure what I thought about it to be honest. Since I read it through I obviously didn't dislike it but I wouldn't particularly recommend it either. Distracted me for a few hours - I'll settle for that.
Frances Brody
Oct 17, 2011 Frances Brody rated it it was amazing
I was 'hand sold' this book by the manager of Bradford Waterstone's just before Christmas last year. It's a gripping tale about a troubled lad, absorbed in his passion for birds, who goes on a strange journey. It's beautifully written and with an unexpected twist.
John Morris
Apr 07, 2012 John Morris rated it it was amazing
A really great read, I did see the twist coming eventually but not until I was well into the book. This was sad and funny. A boy inventing a world where people actually paid him attention and cared for him. The question is how much is made up?
Paul Holland
Jan 30, 2014 Paul Holland rated it liked it
Would've been a 4 star but it dropped off significantly towards the end. Very good book though with some excellent parts.
Lisa Bower
Jan 29, 2013 Lisa Bower rated it really liked it
The bird part was a little dense which probably lost me occasionally but there were some spectacular dynamics between characters and it was a surprising read.
Deb
Oct 13, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
wasnt sure what i was getting myself into when i agreed to read this for our bookgroup.
I really enjoyed it and would even consifer re reading it which is unheard of for me.
Mary
Jan 15, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the very beginning.
Heidi James
Oct 04, 2016 Heidi James rated it it was amazing
Loved this novel - as did the rest of my book club. Tender, sad, bold and innovative, this is a great exploration of a young boy's attempt to make sense of his world... and birds!
Miranda
Jun 28, 2016 Miranda rated it really liked it
I loved King Crow - Stewart has done a fantastic job of creating a complex, fascinating character, mixing serious subject matter with humour and an interest plot line.
Pip
Apr 11, 2012 Pip rated it liked it
I found, at times that the bird analogies felt a little bit overworked and forced for me.
Murf
May 13, 2016 Murf rated it liked it
Didn't realise this was a young-adult book when I got it, but I'm glad as I probably wouldn't haven't bothered if I'd known. It is definitely worth the read, though; quick, easy and compelling.
JGSM
JGSM rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2015
Paul Gamble
Paul Gamble rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
  • And This Is True
  • The Secret Knowledge
  • Last Summer
  • Travels in the Congo
  • The Devil's Looking Glass (Swords of Albion, #3)
  • The Evolutionary Revolution