Start by marking “Looking for Adventure” as Want to Read:
Looking for Adventure

Looking for Adventure

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Genre: LGBT Contemporary

After being diagnosed with a brain tumor, Jonathan looks back on his career-focused life and sees nothing but empty years behind him. His desire for success has left him without a single happy memory, and completely alone.

While shocked by the news, he stumbles into Nino: a man without a steady job, without a permanent home and, as happy as a person
Published February 15th 2011 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Adventure

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
You know, when I read the blurb to this one I couldn't help but think of the movie The Bucket List. Lol

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. It's the kind of book you want to read when you want a little bit of angst with a dying character but know for sure there's going to be a miracle at the end. It's a sweet read that had me shedding a few tears but had me smiling by the end of the story.

I loved Nino and Jonathan and how they just seemed to be the complete opposite of each other. Nino is advent
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Perfect summer read! First of all, I regret having booked my vacation before reading this book, because it made me want to go there! I was glad I spent a few hours in that slice of paradise!

I felt I had a few things in common with Jonathan because I've been work driven for such a long time and I suffer from chronic headaches, so I admit I was also a bit scared and sometimes I felt the story was a bit too close to me to make me feel really comfortable. Jonathan is a character that is not opposed
Candice
Even though I read the blurb and knew that the MC was diagnosed with a tumor with only months to live, I still decided to read it, but was still a little wary about how this was going to end up. I am glad that I continued with the story. This is truly a wonderful story about living life to the fullest and falling in love. There are some parts of the story that you have to let go of realism to a certain degree, however I was enjoying Nico and Jonathan so much that it really didn't bother me. This ...more
Wendy Ann
Completely satisfying on multiple levels! This was a page-turner that I didn’t want to put down by a new author for me. It definitely made me constantly think, “What would I do”?

I picked this book to read as part of my monthly category challenge. I went into it with a sizable dose of trepidation based on the blurb. I like books that draw out my emotions, but probably like many people, don’t necessarily want to knowingly head into a story that’s sure to make me cry like a baby – right? Please, pl
Valentina Heart
Oct 08, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This is my longest 'soon to be published' book. I would also dare to say it is the best so far. The idea didn't come from a movie or a book this time, it was a collection of experiences which I wanted to share with people who have never visited my country.
I focused on the beauty of one of the islands here and modified my own memories to better fit the story. But the feeling I had when I spent my summer there was very real and I think I managed to give the characters as good of a time as I'd had
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
The Romance Review

(Mine is the second review)

Brain cancer is a life-changing event. Jonathan has no family and few friends. He focused purely on his career. He's wealthy and successful with a large office and great condo. It's debatable if his Pathfinder defines wealth. Personally, the Porsche Cayenne screams wealthy more than a Pathfinder. The inoperable brain cancer and less than two months to live is a wakeup call for Jonathan. He's worked so hard to succeed in his life and what happens? He doesn't even enjoy
Lucy
I liked the idea that stressed out, uptight lawyer Jonathan finds out he has two months to live, and actually does something to improve his remaining time. Namely, going away on vacation, with a new friend that he literally ran into. Nino is a free spirit, going where he wants as the urge comes on. Spending summer on the island sounds perfect for both of them. The descriptions in this book are amazing, and made me want to visit. Their story flows quietly and sweetly. I completely loved the tatto ...more
Leaundra
This was a really sweet story. I just loved Nino and Jonathan together<3
Td
It's a beautiful thing when everything clicks and you happen to pick the right read when you need it. So I'm still on vacation and I'm tired! Today I simply wanted to take a day off, park my behind on a lounge chair under some palm trees overlooking the ocean while sipping on my large iced coffee (ok, two...gotta have the caffeine) and reading a book from beginning to end without any interruptions. This book was exactly what I wanted and it totally swept me away.

Jonathan grabbed me from the begi
Karel
For about 85% of this book, I was probably too busy wondering 'Hey, what happened to the tumor?' to properly enjoy the book.

If my thoughts had a form it would have been constantly jumping up and down screaming hey tumor hey tumor hey hey hey hey

Anyway.

This had all the makings of a Korean drama series back from the days when the stereotype that all Korean drama series ends with someone dying from Cancer still applied. The story comes pretty much as advertised: J finds out he's about to die and be
Lexi Ander
Two months. That is the generous time period that Jonathan was given with his diagnosis. Stunned, rudderless he literally collides with Nino. Jonathan allows himself to be drawn along with Nino into a vacation (well commandeered Nino’s vacation idea), learning along the way what it is exactly that he has been missing in life.

Discovery. Friendship. Adventure. Love. Living. Change. Watching Jonathan evolve was beautiful and so very heartbreaking. His words...his beautifully romantic words had me i
Ami
Hmmm, I like the beginning of the story.Jonathan and Nino seem like such an opposite side of spectrum (Jonathan is the corporate guy and Nino is the "live free and loud" guy), it's nice to thrown in these two individuals in searching for an adventure, a nice vacation in an island (by the way, OFF topic, but this feels like should be a summer release, rather than February, no?). The structure of the story is having both men as narrators, with Jonathan narrating first chapter, then Nino the next c ...more
Kendra
Feb 21, 2012 Kendra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
This was a great story about "what if". If you only had a little bit of time left, how would you spend it? I thought it was great watching the relationship between Jonathan and Nino grow. The only thing that bothered me is that I wish there was just a little more to the story, like an epilogue or something. (view spoiler) ...more
Snowtulip
Synchronicity. Sometimes a book comes along that reminds you of all the things that should actually be important in life at the right moment in time. I needed this reminder. I loved Jonathan and Nino's story. As characters they were great to get to know and they complimented each other perfectly. There was always truth to the depths of their emotions and that greatly appealed to me as a reader. I felt the peace and security that was oozing through the pages as the story developed. A great read!
Janean
Read as part of my QGB Q2 Challenge picked by Lexi. I really got sucked into this book. I was a little leery because I thought I was not going to get my HEA... but I did! So I am a happy camper. Jonathan's journey was bittersweet yet profound and life-changing for him. Nino is a keeper and I loved his outlook on life and his ability to draw Jonathan out of his shell. Sigh... A great read!
Yvonne
I think the blurb covers the story well. Jonathan gets a terrible diagnosis that he has a brain tumor & only a couple months to live. This is a wake up call to him as he has previously devoted his life to work only. This of course, reminds me a little of the movie "Last Holiday" & "The Bucket list."

There were a couple of things that sometimes threw me out of the story. The dialogue was a little formal at times and didn't feel like the way people talked. There was also a little too many d
Sheila
Jonathan has been diagnosised with an inoperable brain tumor. Leaving work he bumps into Nino and his bike, knocking Nino down. Paying attention to what has happened he takes Nino home and hires him to cook for him when he goes on vacation. Eventually Nino admits he's gay and Jonathan and he being a romance. I liked this tenderly told tale. Jonathan is dying and realizes he has done nothing but work. It is only with Nino that he slows down and begins to live. A wonderful read of life and living ...more
Merry
I really enjoyed this story. While the initial part of the relationship didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, the romance that developed between the two main characters as the book progressed was real and touching for me. I enjoyed very much their playful times as well as the serious ones. Bravo, Mz. Heart for a book well done.
Laura M
This was a great read - I really liked Nino and the relationship that he and Jonathan develop. I was afraid that the brain tumor diagnosis story line was going to make the book too sad and depressing, but Jonathan's focus on making good memories keep the book from becoming a treatise on dying well.
Lasha
Second chances, this concept is at the core of Valentina Heart’s Looking for Adventure. At the beginning of the novel, lawyer Jonathan Morgan is a workaholic with no personal life until a doctor tells him he has a brain tumor. This revelation changes everything. After a chance encounter outside his office with bike messenger Nico, Jonathan decides he needs to get away and asks Nico to accompany him. Nico thinks he’s being employed to help Jonathan with cooking and cleaning, but only Jonathan kno ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This is the first story I've read from this author and I found it quite enjoyable. What to do if you're told you have two months to live? Well, looking for adventure is what Jonathan, a stuffy, robotic, work-driven lawyer does when he accidentally meets Nino. Nino is a carefree, happy-go-lucky bike messenger who falls off his bike at Jonathan's feet when Jonathan is leaving work to go home and ponder his last two months of life.

Nino shows Jonathan how to live, literally. The two fall in love on
Feliz
From the very beginning Jonathan is more than just an employer to Nino. Over time, their relationship evolves into a friendship, and Nino is soon helplessly smitten by his handsome boss. But Jonathan is obviously straight like an arrow, and Nino fears rejection should Jon find out about his real feelings and his sexual orientation so he keeps them a secret. As Nino’s crush subtly turns into love, he finally can’t bear it anymore and takes the lap of faith.
Jonathan has never felt attracted to ano
Fairy / Anna
Nice and comforting read, perfect for lazy day on the beach.
Jonathan is a serious and inflexible lawyer. One day he finds out that he has inoperable brain tumor and only two months of life. His doctor suggests, that he should take break and enjoy his last days...
Nino is a young man, optimistic, full of energy. He works as a delivery boy, but when he meets Jonathan, who is planning to go on vacation on The Mediterranean island, he agrees to work for him as a cook.
What is supposed to be a goodbye
Susan
This book was an example of total opposites attracting. Jonathan is an uptight lawyer who has nothing else in his life apart from his work while Nino is a free spirit who drifts from job to job with the aim of being as happy as possible. The two men meet just after Jonathan has been told he only has two months to live. In a move totally out of character for him, Jonathan employs Nino and they move to an island to enjoy the summer. I really enjoyed watching Jonathan unbend and respong to Nino's o ...more
Lauren
3.5 stars - Looking for Adventure was highly predictable but still enjoyable. I wasn't sure about the book at the start, and there were some continuity problems here and there, but it definitely improved during the second half. It was certainly good enough for me to keep on reading and there were some really lovely scenes and a few laugh out loud moments too. It's a shame though really, because the author could have done so much more with the plot.
Lily
What would you do if you had just a couple of months to live? That's what Jonathan has to figure out after getting devastating news from his doctor. Enter Nino, a bicycle delivery guy that Jonathan inadvertently runs into. Total opposites they nevertheless click and by the next day are heading off to spend the summer by the lake. This was a nice GFY story but neither character ever really grabbed me and I found the plot and ending a bit too predictable.
Bookbee
4.75 Stars
This is a real feel-good story with likeable characters and a GFY plot that is deftly handled. I loved watching Jonathan transform from a workaholic "stiff" to an open, adventurous soul. And Nino? Damn, but I want to be just like him when I grow up! ;)

The handling of the medical issue could seem "convenient" to some readers but having experienced something similar with a loved one, I could only smile and smile!
Jane A
I liked this story. It was cute and sweet. I actually expected it to be way more dramatic especially since one MC is saying goodbye to his life. I mean, I'm glad the MCs got a HEA, but when the story starts with someone dying I actually want them to die because I look forward to the drama (hopefully people don't look at me weirdly >.<).
Raevyn
Aug 10, 2013 Raevyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013

This was a sweet story. There were a few times when I wanted to skip ahead because it was taking them too long to get together (over half the book). I was also a little annoyed that Jonathon took so long to tell Nino everything. However, it was sweet and I was glad to see where the story took them.
Lily
Such a lovely story! I have greatly enjoyed reading this book, with the breathtaking setting and the tranquil life inspired by it, the two contrasting protagonists who tugged at my heart in different ways, their slowly developing romance and happy ending both so much deserved. Definitely recommended!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Rose is a Rose
  • Accompanied by a Waltz
  • Mandarin Orange: Sweet and Sour (Fruit Basket, #3)
  • Blind Passion
  • Go Fish
  • Unspeakable Words
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Transit
I would say that I am first a reader and then a writer. My fascination with books goes way back into the past when I didn't even know I could read something that wasn't given to me in school. Writing came later. First when I tried writing down the plots of the movies I found overwhelming and later in the form of a very dark blog that connected me with people I still consider very good friends.

Whe
More about Valentina Heart...
King's Conquest (Mending the Rift, #1) Owner of My Heart (Mending the Rift, #2) Sebastian's Wolves (Among Wolves #1) Plug and Engage Battle of Hearts